Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Ysariel

Re: Adventures Assemble: If This Be Doomsday!

Post by Ysariel »

Qora
The Akashic Library

You dash forward and pummel her but in your haste you come in at a bad angle and your blow deflects off Lucienne's burning, luminous skin, which feels as hard and unyielding as adamantium to the blow.

Lucienne just laughs. And laughs, and laughs and laughs.

"...let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech..."
OOC
Unfortunately a 15 is a miss, even Vulnerable.

Lucienne uses Light of Judgment as a reaction on Qora.

Lucienne Lightbringer attack vs Qora: 1D20+10 = [15]+10 = 25

Hits. Qora, make a DC 30 Toughness check.

Surprise Round
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (Vulnerable, -1)
21 Moonlight
19 Nightbird (higher bonus)
19 Kisai
15 Qora
09 Gelert *

Gelert is up!
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 4 LP: 0
Condition: -1 Toughness [heal in 5 rounds], Dazed [1 round]

Seeing the beam of light, she tries to will the flames surrounding her to increase in intensity, but the beam still powers through burning her in the shoulder. "Gah! Guys, watch out for those beams of light, they pack a real punch. Almost felt like facing the flames my mother can wield."

OOC: Toughness check: Toughness check: 1d20+12 20
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Gelert is really getting sick of the arrogant, elitist, snobby, evil, shiny, Star God lady.

"Lady for once in your probably very very very very very long life, would you please please please just SHUT UP!"

So Gelert blasts her right in her stupid glowy face.

OOC: Blast: Damage 12 (DC 27; Increased Range: ranged, Precise, Variable Descriptor: close group - laser or concussion)
1d20+14: 25
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Gelert
The Akashic Library

"Shut up? Shut up! That's what you hope all your enemies would do, isn't it?"

"Humans have no interest in dialogue or understanding or listening. When they talk, they use the same words to mean different things, and use different words to mean the same thing. Is the man locked up in your prison a terrorist or freedom fighter? Is the thing in your womb a baby or a fetus, or does it depend on whether you intend to get rid of it?

Your beam of blue light blasts her in the face and explodes part of her cheek, flaking away the luminous surface to reveal the pitch-black exotic matter of her true form beneath. She is made of the stuff of stars.

But Lucienne's grin falters not. The halo of light above her head burns with vengeful rage and fires back a beam of terrible power that blasts your forcefield with the fury of a newborn sun.
OOC
I assume the descriptor for your blast is concussion and not laser, since I think any hero will realize that shooting a light-powered villain with lasers is a bad idea. If your character hypothetically had negative INT or AWE, you would not have received this warning as part of the drawback of having low mental stats.

AA Lucienne Toughness DC 27: 1D20+20-1 = [4]+20-1 = 23
Failed 1 degree, another -1

Lucienne uses Light of Judgment as a reaction.
AA Lucienne attack vs Gelert: 1D20+10 = [13]+10 = 23
I believe hits your defense 20. Make a DC 30 Toughness check
Lucienne
The Akashic Library

"One says welfare but others hear taking money from hardworking people to give to lazy unemployed people. Another says racist but means someone who disagrees with my political and social beliefs. Even when you speak the same language, you talk right past each other. For all of you are speaking, but NONE of you are LISTENING! That is the true meaning of Babel!"

She raises a fist and clenches it with glee. A beam of light shines down on Moonlight and coalesces into a solid prism of pure, burning light, roasting her alive.

"Your speech is already confounded; I am but bringing your situation to its natural conclusion. Just you wait, maggots. I need only one spell from the Library and it will be mine. BABEL!"
OOC
As the surprise round ends Lucienne recovers from being Vulnerable. Be warned that her stats are extremely high and each attack on her provokes effectively a PL 12.5 counterattack. Merely tossing attacks carelessly statistically causes more damage to yourself than to her. Think about ways to reduce the power of her defenses and protect yourself from her counterattacks.

Lucienne uses Prismatic Domination on Moonlight as a Standard action. This is Continuous Create 20 (force field) linked to Continuous Damage 10 (light), using the entrap function.
Lucienne attack vs Moonlight: 1D20+20 = [12]+20 = 32 hits

Make a DC 30 Dodge resistance check. If you pass, there is no effect. If you fail, you are trapped in a transparent glowing Toughness 20 prism and cannot move or attack out of it. You escape by destroying the prism (I rule that created objects count as Minions in such a case, i.e. destroyed on a single degree of failure), by countering with a suitable power check, or by using movement abilities such as teleport and permeate.

You also suffer Damage 10 each turn you are trapped inside the prism; make a DC 25 Toughness check vs damage, but only if you were entrapped.

Surprise Round
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (-2)
21 Moonlight *
19 Nightbird (higher bonus)
19 Kisai
15 Qora
09 Gelert

Moonlight is up!
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai

"But you aren't offering dialogue; you only seek to preach and be obeyed mindlessly. That is why you are inferior to even the youngest of humans.

Our language recognizes that there isn't one truth. A prisoner can be both a terrorist and a freedom fighter. Only the small-minded can't see this."
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Ysariel wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:58 pm Qora
The Akashic Library

You dash forward and pummel her but in your haste you come in at a bad angle and your blow deflects off Lucienne's burning, luminous skin, which feels as hard and unyielding as adamantium to the blow.

Lucienne just laughs. And laughs, and laughs and laughs.

"...let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech..."
OOC
Unfortunately a 15 is a miss, even Vulnerable.

Lucienne uses Light of Judgment as a reaction on Qora.

Lucienne Lightbringer attack vs Qora: 1D20+10 = [15]+10 = 25

Hits. Qora, make a DC 30 Toughness check.
Qora
HP 4-> 3
condition fine

Toughness: 1d20+14 16. e-yikes. HP to reroll

Toughness: 1d20+14 33

---

Qora is struck full on by the retaliatory blast, a sure sign that the Lightbringer is indeed as dangerous as she claims

but as the attack ends and everyone's eyes adjust, Qora is still standing, albeit further back, furrows extending from her feet to where she was standing when Lucinne struck her
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 4>3 LP: 0
Condition: -1 Toughness [heals in 4 rounds]

"I will not be trapped by the likes of you!" Despite her defiant cry, Aranel is trapped in the prism as the intense light bears down on her. But her own flames flare to life like never before, an intense blinding white of fury that blocks the light from harming her. "I said you would not trap me like this!" As her flames continue to flare in intensity and push outward against the prism with a level of power she has never tapped into before.

OOC: Dodge check: Dodge check: 1d20+10 19 Odds of beating that Dodge check are slim even with a reroll. Toughness check: Toughness check: 1d20+11 29 Elemental Blast, fire descriptor with +5 DC/-Atk Power Attack: Attack roll: 1d20+7 9 HP to reroll that: Attack roll: 1d20+7 19 Attacking stationary object with attack roll of 10+ mean auto-crit. So DC 35 for the Continous Create to resist.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:26 pm Gelert
The Akashic Library

"Shut up? Shut up! That's what you hope all your enemies would do, isn't it?"
"Nope. That's literally the opposite of what I hope for." Gelert replies. "Nothing would make me happier than if all of not just my enemies but everyone's enemies ever could just sit down and talk things out like reasonable beings. But that requires people LISTEN as well as talk. Even my patience has limits so I have a short list of folks that should really stop talking but love to say so many words but nothing worth listening to. Your right near the top, just under Mayor Cooper."
Ysariel wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:26 pm "Humans have no interest in dialogue or understanding or listening. When they talk, they use the same words to mean different things, and use different words to mean the same thing. Is the man locked up in your prison a terrorist or freedom fighter?
"Wow, it's almost as if the universe is COMPLICATED AND NUANCED isn't it?" Lucienne has pushed Gelert to the point where he's using *gasp* sarcasm!
Ysariel wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:26 pm Is the thing in your womb a baby or a fetus, or does it depend on whether you intend to get rid of it?
Gelert groans loudly. He's borne witness to and gotten involved in a number of discussion and debates on this topic.

"Nope. Nope, not going to do the full lecture on the biology and the human rights issues right now. Go listen to George Carlin on the topic, he said better than I could. Mostly because I don't use curse words."
Ysariel wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:26 pm Your beam of blue light blasts her in the face and explodes part of her cheek, flaking away the luminous surface to reveal the pitch-black exotic matter of her true form beneath. She is made of the stuff of stars.

But Lucienne's grin falters not. The halo of light above her head burns with vengeful rage and fires back a beam of terrible power that blasts your forcefield with the fury of a newborn sun.
OOC
I assume the descriptor for your blast is concussion and not laser, since I think any hero will realize that shooting a light-powered villain with lasers is a bad idea. If your character hypothetically had negative INT or AWE, you would not have received this warning as part of the drawback of having low mental stats.

AA Lucienne Toughness DC 27: 1D20+20-1 = [4]+20-1 = 23
Failed 1 degree, another -1

Lucienne uses Light of Judgment as a reaction.
AA Lucienne attack vs Gelert: 1D20+10 = [13]+10 = 23
I believe hits your defense 20. Make a DC 30 Toughness check
OOC: DC30 Toughness check 1d20+13: 31

There is a blinding flash as Lucienne's offensive light beam comes into conflict with Gelert's defensive light shield. When the flash fades, Gelert is still there, panting but unharmed.

"OOF. I should have worn sunglasses."
Ysariel wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:26 pm Lucienne
The Akashic Library

"One says welfare but others hear taking money from hardworking people to give to lazy unemployed people. Another says racist but means someone who disagrees with my political and social beliefs. Even when you speak the same language, you talk right past each other. For all of you are speaking, but NONE of you are LISTENING! That is the true meaning of Babel!"
"Black Hole calling the Neutron Star dense there much space lady?" Gelert retorts.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Kisai
The Akashic Library
Kisai wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:10 pm "But you aren't offering dialogue; you only seek to preach and be obeyed mindlessly."
Lucienne's halo flares with defiant light. "Of course I do! I am a superior being, you lowly insect. Listen and and submit!"

Waves of psychic power buffet you. In your mind's eye you see strange visions from unimaginably long ago. You see titanic, godlike beings shaped like venus figurines, floating in the void, and realize you are seeing into the memories of a fallen deity...

"Long before your mongrel, carbon-based species crawled from the mud, I ruled the void as one of the Infinitrons - ancient star gods mighty beyond comprehension."

The vision changes. The ovoid ships of the Star Gods, hundreds of miles long, float in orbit over bright blue and green worlds, the city lights of young civilizations twinkling like stars on the continents below.

"But the Infinitrons were unsatisfied with their lot. Companions those fools sought! Not corpses, not herds and believers, but fellow gods the Star Gods sought to raise up alongside them, to ease the loneliness of their rarefied existence."

The verdant, vibrant worlds turn to ash. Mushroom clouds of a nuclear apocalypse dot one. Another glows sickly green, all life reduced to sludge by genegineered superviral plagues. A third shines dull grey as nanomachines consume all life upon the surface. Each new world shows another apocalyptic catastrophe - global warming, astroid impact, supervolcanic eruption - and there are millions, billions of them...

"Despite their vast knowledge and power, they failed utterly. Every civilization they carefully nurtured was consumed - in nuclear fire, environmental catastrophe or celestial disaster. Each time their vaunted creations proved themselves unworthy of apotheosis, for the created can never equal the creator."

More worlds now, burning. Burning with divine fire from the void, their suns swollen to titanic size, burning away atmospheres and boiling oceans.

"I said, 'no more', and put the remaining worlds to the torch. I ended their foolishness to spare them their vain hope."

And at last you see Earth - the Earth of hundreds of millions of years ago, before the continents achieved their present configuration. A single shooting star streaks through its atmosphere, falling from the heavens...

"For that they cast me down. THEY CAST ME DOWN!" You feel her boiling, terrible rage, a rage that has simmered for countless eons. "There was war in Heaven and I slew many, but they won and they cast me down at its end. They left behind Pandora to enforce their will and the Preservers to perpetuate their misguided experiments. But I will have the last word. I will rise high once more and reclaim my place among the stars!"
OOC

I am responding to posts in order, but ran out of time today. I am continuing my post tomorrow, so please be patient. Gelert will be updated next.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Moonlight
The Akashic Library

Your flames flare and burn against the wall of pure light that encases you, causing it to shimmer through all the colors of the rainbow.

For awhile Lucienne's prison holds firm, but then your fire surges with sudden strength and the multicolored hue of the prism bleeds into pure red before shattering! Motes of light scatter as the prism bursts, before dying like fireflies in the cold air.

OOC
AA Created Object DC 35: 1D20+20 = [3]+20 = 23
An easy fail, and the created object is destroyed.

Surprise Round
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (-2)
21 Moonlight
19 Nightbird *(higher bonus)
19 Kisai
15 Qora
09 Gelert

Nightbird is up!
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 6 > 5 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

To her complete surprise .. .not, Lucienne was a heavy hitter that put Lord Steel to shame which meant Imogen was going to avoid laying a finger on the forgotten deity unless there was no other choice.

Moving quickly Imogen attempted to distract Lucienne by a mix of fancy footwork, kicks and punches that just missed the mark but intended to turn Lucienne enough that she was vulnerable to Qora before moving further back into the shadows.
OOC wrote:
Nightbird will use a combination of Improved & Agile Feint (Acrobatics) then use Set-Up to pass any advantage to Qora and the rest of her move action to move as far away as possible.

Nightbird Agile Feint
Nightbird Acrobatics: 1d20+15 27
Use a HP

Nightbird Acrobatics: 1d20+15 23 +10 = 33
DC33 vs acrobatics or insight (whichever is better). If fails then Lucienne will be vulnerable to Qora's next attack.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Nightbird & Gelert
The Akashic Library
Gelert wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:14 am "Black Hole calling the Neutron Star dense there much space lady?"
Lucienne the Dawn Star points a finger at the Corgi. "You have no right to accuse me of hypocrisy, inferior life form. When a Star God speaks with the wisdom of aeons, you listen and learn. I have seen my thesis proven true across billions of young worlds. I KNOW I am right and I will SHOW you!"

Her eyes burn bright with multicolored light, but now her porcelain lips curl in a sly smile.

"But of course that is what you would say, my dear Gelert? Your species, the domestic dog, has grow alongside Homo Sapiens for some ten thousand years. Humankind has exploited you for free labour and unquestioning companionship, inflicted on you inbreeding and mutilation to fit its idea of what an ideal housepet should be like. Your entire species has been subverted by humankind to its own advantage and yet you blindly defend your unwitting tyrants. BWAHAHAHAHA!"
Nightbird wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:19 am Moving quickly Imogen attempted to distract Lucienne by a mix of fancy footwork, kicks and punches that just missed the mark but intended to turn Lucienne enough that she was vulnerable to Qora before moving further back into the shadows.
Her grandiose pontification skips not a beat even as Nightbird darts in with a dizzying blur of punches, kicks and swift strikes. In response, Lucienne's halo of light burns bright and fires searing beams of light that carve up the ground around the heroine in deep furrows of stone as Nightbird feints and dances about her. Secure in her invincibility, preoccupied with her pompous speechification, Lucienne pays no notice at all to the attack from a lowly, carbon-based lifeform, and doesn't notice that Nightbird has weighted attacks towards one side to leave the Morningstar open on the other.
OOC
AA Lucienne Insight DC 33: 1D20+8 = [4]+8 = 12
Lucienne is unable to pass, and is Vulnerable to Qora until the end of your next round.

Round 1
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (-2, Vulnerable until R2i19)
21 Moonlight
19 Kisai *
15 Qora
09 Gelert

Kisai is up!
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai
HP: 6 (-1=5); Condition: Bruised x1, Fatigued at end of turn

"So you tried to be a god, the True Gods cast you down for being unworthy and immature, and your plan is to prove them right? You are pathetic and insane, plain and simple"

Philip was done with talking. A glowing katana forms in his hands and he moves past her with a slash, spinning around ready for any attack in response.
Digital Weapons attack, PA [2]: 1d20+14-2 15
HP to reroll: 1d20+14-2 25
DC 25 Toughness

Surge to Deflect (same AE)
First Deflect check w/Reflect: 1d20+12 29
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Kisai
The Akashic Library

She laughs. "True gods? TRUE GODS?"

More beams of light fire from Lucienne's halo as you dart past her with a slash. The beams of searing light carve up the ancient stone about you and spray you with rocky fragments, failing to hit you but forcing you away far enough that you fail to land a solid blow on her.

"If they are true gods, why are so many of them dead, when I still live?"
OOC
Unfortunately a 25 is a miss now that Lucienne is not vulnerable to you outside of the surprise round. She is however vulnerable to Qora thanks to Nightbird's feint.

Most of Lucienne's defenses are extremely high making small numbers of high quality attacks superior to large numbers of low quality ones. Traits like aim/improved aim, aid actions, feints, Inspire, and team attacks can all help build up to a telling blow.
The Morninglight's halo shines brightly above her head. It briefly cycles through all seven hues of the rainbow before pure white light lances out to burn you to a crisp. But you are prepared and for an instant you are surrounded by a faint halo of rainbow light as the beam reflects off your katana with a keening ping! sound! The beam explodes right in Lucienne's face and shakes the cavern, raining down bits of rock and ancient talismans from above.

When the smoke clears Lucienne is touching her cheek where the light struck her. She is completely unhurt, but there is now something very dangerous in her voice.

"You... dare..."
OOC
Lucienne then uses Light of Judgment on you as a reaction.
AA Lucienne attack vs Kisai: 1D20+10 = [9]+10 = 19

Your deflect result of 29 is higher than her attack check of 19, so her attack is deflected. Now, according to the rules you have to make a separate attack check to ensure the reflected attack hits. However, to save time, it seems elegant to just make the deflect check the attack roll instead (but, for this purpose, removing the benefit of +10 on a roll of 10 or less, which would amount to a free HP reroll). In this case a result of 29 hits.

AA Lucienne toughness DC 30: 1D20+20-2 = [16]+20-2 = 34

Passed, no effect

Round 1
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (-2, Vulnerable until R2i19)
21 Moonlight
19 Kisai
15 Qora *
09 Gelert

Qora is up!
[/quote]
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

all-out maneuver, +2/-2
attack: 1d20+10 12. miss

Qora lunges for Lucienne, but the light-bringer easily dodges her clumsy charge