Small Town Heroes (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
pathfinderq1

Re: Small Town Heroes (IC)

Post by pathfinderq1 »

AJ Sullivan
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

Aj had matched introductions with Meghan and with John, offering each a smile and "I'm AJ." If, perhaps, her tone and her smile had been just a bit cooler towards Meghan, it might have been just a momentary social hiccup- certainly nothing to do with a more than passing similarity between their clothing and accessories... While AJ wore hiking shorts instead of bike shorts and a tighter tank top under a flannel shirt, their sneakers seemed to have suffered equally and their battered backpacks were nearly identical. Two young lionesses, whose place in the pride would have to be determined...

As Meghan headed down the hall towards the office, AJ's gaze lingered on her for just a second- should she go along o help out? When Vil spoke up, it drew her attention in his direction instead. AJ turned to face him, gazing up at Troll Mountain. She had never really seen a troll up close before, but she had heard stories... If, perhaps, one hand clenched briefly into fist at her side, and her stance shifted just a little, surely that was understandable. Trolls were dangerous, everyone knew that- and Sullivans, as a rule, were more inclined to Fight than Flight. With a nearly visible effort, AJ widened her smile and forced a friendly tone into her voice. "I'm Allison, but nobody calls me that unless I'm in trouble, usually. Just call me AJ." She waved vaguely down the hall towards where Meghan was headed to the office. "THAT is Miss Meghan, as in 'Missed the first day of school'- though with those tests, who can blame her." AJ took one step closer to the board, looking back for the same information that JD was searching for- where were they supposed to go next?

>OOC: Checking the board for directions, Perception 1d20+3= 21; roll https://orokos.com/roll/784006
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD didn't mind explaining it a second time; it was easier, in fact. "Ma first an middle names're actually <Yay-su Doh-mi-nay>, a religious thing. I try to go by 'JD' now." he says for Vil and others who hadn't heard it.

He scours, not just the list, but the entire board for any sort of directions.
Perception: 1d20+10 22
"Something pithy this way comes."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Meghan Monroe

Meghan turns back, feeling AJ's eyes upon her. It is a tense moment, that the two would be similar and yet..so dissimilar. A wrench wench and a sporty type, both tomboys, both with similar senses of dress and styles. They could be BFFs, or they could be the worst of enemies. Would they be lionesses, or would one of them turn out to be a hyena?

But then Meghan breaks out into a huge grin, her eyes full of mischief, and sticks her tongue out at AJ!

And it isn't like she can really hear the words on her way, just too much distance and too much noise from the other students.

Still, she calls out, trying to be heard across the crowd. "See you all later! See if you can figure something out on what team I'll be on!"

(And with that, the entire group gets the teamwork advantage for the perception test, how high can it go?)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Vil Grumych Granit
Luck (Inspiration): 3; HP: 1
Condition: patient

Vil recognizes AJ's defensive signs, because he half-expects to see them from everyone he meets. He's used to it, but a little piece of his heart sinks anyway. Still, he tries not to outwardly show disappointment, just says "Hi AJ, I'm Vil," and is extra-gentle about shaking her hand.

Then, while not ignoring the other members of Team C, he looks back at the board. He's not trying to find general instructions (as he can wait contentedly for that), but is trying to spot Joseph's name and position.

OOC: Perception: 1d20+3 13
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle:LAKOTA
HP:1

Before Meagan leaves, John tells her,Good to meet you." To A.J. he says, "Nice to meet you."

John says," Glad to be on the same team as you Vil." As Vil holds up a high five, if necessary, John will do a slight jump if necessary to return it..
Last edited by Hawk on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

---- Meghan

The portly man gives her a somewhat disapproving look as she leaps the gate a couple of times. "Well, for someone with you powers the gate of more symbolic than practical" he huffs. "For other students without you, abilities, well then the gate usually works just fine" Pocketing the keys he heaves the gate open with a grating noise to prepare for the day.

---- All

As the team find their names on the board, there is a sudden flash and crackle of blue energy as Mat appears, as if from nowhere. Today he is wearing a different leather jacket from the other day, but beyond that looks almost the same. He ignores the cries of protest as the other students leap back in shock from the appearance, and instead focuses on finding his name. "Aw hell yeah! Team A! That's the best right?" he asks, glancing behind him.

It quickly becomes apparent who he was looking for as Joseph stands near the back, head and shoulders above the crowd. "Erm, I think it's just alphabetical Mat" he says with a wry smile. He looked identical to the other day, and would send JD and Vil a cheery wave when he spots them.

"Oh" Mat responds, a little deflated. With another flash of light he disappears before reappearing next to Joseph. "There's a couple of names I don't know there, we'll have to find them".

Sarah also sees a familiar face in Lucy and her followers. dressed in a completely new outfit she somehow barges her way towards the front of the crowd without actually making contact with anyone. When she reaches the board, she surveys it for a moment before tearing one of the sheets off. She begins to exit the crowd just as quickly as she had arrived, but pauses as she sees Sarah. Putting one hand on her hip she takes a moment to examine Sarah before speaking. "Oh, hey. Can you believe them putting everyone's powers up just like that? This place is such a dump".

---- Vil

Peering over the crowd, Vil can just about make out Joseph's name on the team A. It would look like his classification is D-class as well, and he has also been marked down as exemplar for his power. Most likely this was unsurprising, considering the boys build and apparent lack of powers in yesterdays testing.

---- AJ and JD

As AJ and JD steps closer to the board she sees stapled near the bottom right corner of the board is a note stating that there is an assembly this morning for freshmen. Really this kind of notice should be bigger, maybe more central on the board. At the very least it should be written in bold, but there you go.

---- Meghan

Meghan leaves the throng of freshmen, and breaks out into the main school. Suddenly she finds herself jostled as the older students head for their form rooms for the morning. Most of them simply shove their way past her, not really paying attention to the younger student. This is Meghan's first time in the school, and most likely it is just as chipped and dishevelled as she would have expected. There's a weird smell that doesn't seem to belong to anything, and it simultaneously impossible to identify. Here and there she sees faded and frankly out of date (one poster seems to have come from 1987) art projects on the wall.

Eventually she is able to find her way to the principles office (fortunately it is one of the few places in the school that is well signed), just as a bell rings throughout the school. It looks like she would have to catch up. The door to the principles office has a tarnished sign on it, reading 'Prin. Sykes'. Some random graffiti had been scratched into the door, including 'The principle is a demon', 'Tony wuz ear' and a number of profanities and solicitations that were most certainly not appropriate for a school.

Knocking on the door to the principles causes it to swing open on its own, revealing a surprisingly plush and well furnished room. The wall is covered in painting of Mr Sykes in different coloured suits, apparently fr0m his years here though he had hardly aged a day in appearance. There was a red sofa against one wall, and near the other was a ornate wooden desk with a large window behind it.

Mr Sykes was stood in the centre of the room, today in a brilliant red (if a little scuffed) suit, and had a gold club in his hand. Aiming for a golf ball on the floor, he makes a powerful drive across the room. The ball rises up and instead of crashing into the desk disappears as a swirling purple and blue portal opens up, seemingly from nowhere. There is a faint howl from the portal as the ball passes through, followed by a smash, and then it disappears just as fast.

Looking up as Meghan walks in, Sykes would fix her with a wide smile. "Oh, can I help you?"

---- All (except Meghan)

As the freshman continue to talk a little while after Meghan had left, they hear the morning bell ring loudly above. It looks like it is time to make their way to the assembly hall for the morning.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Sarah is relieved that Lucy said something to her, or was she talking to her entourage, no matter. "Yeah, I can't imagine what idiocy they have planned for today."

The bell rings and she adds, "I wonder where we're supposed to go. Feels stupid following the chattel headed that way."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

JD

JD's Baritone pitches to carry as he addresses his fellow Freshmen.

"Hey guys, Everyone, we have an assembly, says so on the board. Let's go to the Hall." He's not shouting but his voice is penetrating and there's a resonance from the very ground itself. He claps his hands twice to get attention and the the sound is like two boulders crashing together.

"This way." he says leading the walk, glancing back to check if any folk are left behind.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

John WhiteEagle: LAKOTA
HP:1

John makes his way to the Hall weaving through slower traffic, or those stopped in his way.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Meghan Monroe

It was a matter of working against the stream, weaving her way between larger people as she was working her way towards the place that they were going away from. But in the end, she manages to find herself back towards the offices, following her ear as she tries to find someone back there. Actually, rather surprised that there aren't the usual office staff or even an embarrassing TPA soccer mom that decided to involve herself with new student orientation. Real moms got involved in that sort of thing, right? Not just running off to Reno with their newest Mr. Right Now?

A slow blink back at Mr Sykes, a massive grin coming over her face. "I have sooo many questions about what you just did. Where? Why? How?"

She blushes a bit, "Hiii, I'm probably not supposed to be in here. Yet. I mean, you're going to spend plenty of time getting to know me, probably. I'm not a bad student, I'm just easily distracted. Really easily distracted." She pauses a moment, shifting into a golfing stance and letting her hips move through the movement, 'watching' it fly off into the distance. "So is there a golf club? I mean, well.." she gestures towards the clubs, "Well, yeah, golf could be cool. I hear that it can be awfully boring to watch though. Sort of like pool. Do you like pool?"

A sharp inhalation of breath. "I'm Meghan Monroe, Little Fireball, or something.." she offers her hand before realizing that its not cool and brushes it through her ginger mane instead. "I kinda, well, I didn't mean to.. skiiiip school yesterday, but I kinda did. So, I'm not on any of the charts."

And frowns, "Really, I really should get to know you better. We're probably going to be spending way too much time together."

She spins upon her foot, starting to walk back away, "So I'll guess I'll see you around or something! Nice to meet you!"
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:51 pm JD

JD's Baritone pitches to carry as he addresses his fellow Freshmen.

"Hey guys, Everyone, we have an assembly, says so on the board. Let's go to the Hall." He's not shouting but his voice is penetrating and there's a resonance from the very ground itself. He claps his hands twice to get attention and the the sound is like two boulders crashing together.

"This way." he says leading the walk, glancing back to check if any folk are left behind.
AJ Sullivan
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

AJ stood up straight and snapped her heels together. She even gave a credible attempt at a proper salute (as if, perhaps, she had relatives who had served in the military). "Sir! Yes Sir!"

But this wasn't the army- it was a bunch of high school kids, more than a bit confused, who hadn't had time to determine the proper social order for a new school. Though her smile showed that she meant well, her actions probably came across as sarcastic...

>OOC: Sorry JD! I tried. But what is high school without some drama?
Persuasion attempt (Aid JD, DC 10) 1d20+2= 4; roll: https://orokos.com/roll/785357
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

---- Sarah

As Sarah voices her opinion on the school, Lucy provides a slight smile in response. Glancing behind her, she turns back to Sarah, facing her directly. In a lowered voice she says "Hey, do you want to, skip this? It's probably going to suck anyway".

---- Everyone (Except Meghan)

As JD calls out to the other students, there is a lull in the noise as they turn to him. A few start to move towards him, though most do not fully respond. After all he is just a student, same as then. Unfortunately AJ's attempts to help did not come across that way. A few students laugh at her response, perhaps assuming she was mocking JD. JD would just be able to make out a few muttered comments about the 'weirdo' from some of the other students.

Eventually, a middle-aged woman from the reception comes out and begins to shoo the students along. "Come on, hurry up now!" she calls as the unruly heard begins to shuffle along in the right direction. As the adult takes over, Lucy would take a step closer to Sarah, speaking in a hushed voice. "Last chance, you coming?"

---- Meghan

Back at the principles office, Mr Sykes turns fully to face the student. "Where, I was told it was Canada, but I'm not convinced. How I don't know, it's been here for a few years, and why? Well I wanted somewhere to play golf, and there's no ranges around here". He watches Meghan would interest as she rattles through her talking points. His face would suddenly grow stern however at the mention of her missing school.

Striding forwards, he would crouch a little to come face to face. "You skipped school?" he says in an excessively deep and stern voice. "That, is, excellent!" The tone once again shifts back to the regular cheerful nature. "That shows excellent initiative and an understanding of what it takes to be a superhero! Or maybe it's a bad thing. Anyway, I have high hopes for you!" Striding towards his desk he reaches for a folder resting on top. "Ah, yes, I was told we were missing one or two students. What we are currently planning is for your teachers to carry out your assessment during your classes over the next couple of days. We would run the tests we did yesterday, but, well, it takes ages to set up the equipment. Now, if you are quick you might be able to sneak into the assembly they are running. Emphasis on sneak, don't forget, heroes need to be able to sneak".
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

With a glance back at the crowd, Sarah turns back to Lucy, "Lead the way."
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Vil Grumych Granit
Luck (Inspiration): 3; HP: 1
Condition: cooperative

Vil willingly follows JD's initial suggestion to move along to the assembly, but doesn't think to try to help herd the other students. Which is, perhaps, for the best, considering how AJ's attempt turned out.

OOC: Perception to notice Sarah sneaking off: 1d20+3 19
If that succeeds, Vil will innocently (genuinely confused) call out to Sarah, "Hey Sarah, where are you going?"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Stealth: 1D20+4 = [2]+4 = 6

Sarah pretends not to hear Vil as the girl slip out a door.