MrTweedy

Small Town Heroes: Inactive

Post by MrTweedy »

Characters:
Wait List:
Inactive:#
NPC List:

Faculty:
  • Mr Pemberly: Reedy teaching assistant, seems to always be tired or mildly annoyed.
  • Unknown staff member: Severely dressed woman with similar attitude, unknown position.
  • Principle Sykes: Young and eccentric principle of Green Creek High School. Despite his brightly coloured suits he seems to have some kind of manifestation that makes him somewhat forgettable
  • Unknown teacher: An elderly man dressed in a burnt lab coat and looking equally singed. He seems to be quite frantic, manic even in his attitude.
  • Mrs Hofland: Female dwarf teacher and head of the form for team C. Seemingly a serious individual but is fair with the kids.
  • Mr Ward: Elvish ethics and history teacher. Academically minded and with a passion for his work, though he seems to struggle to connect with some of the students.
Students:
  • Mat Kellher: Confident boy with some king of electricity/teleportation ability, leather jacket and carefully maintained hair.
  • Lucy: Impeccably dressed 'popular girl', quite preppy with unknown powers.
  • Lucy's Friends: Both well dressed girls, one power unknown, the other some kind of predictive ability.
  • Joseph: Tall and heavily muscled boy in what looks like home-made knitwear, cheerful and quite kind.
  • Tanya: Girl dressed in a vest and jeans, short hair with a dyed streak, possible fire based/enhanced strength ability. Quite relaxed and at ease, she is easy to talk to.
  • Alicia: Very conservatively dressed girl with glasses, very shy and nervous, possible air based power.
  • Hayley: Conservatively dressed but beautiful girl who is in charge of the glee club. Seems to usually act very friendly and positive but has a large passive aggressive streak.
  • Trevor: 'All-American' student who helps to run the glee club. Very friendly, enthusiastic and rather oblivious, he seems to have a real passion for song.
  • Jonny 'Blaze' Spark: Older student dressed in leather jackets and ripped jeans with long black hair. Seems to have an active rebellious streak. Head of the 'flying team'.
  • 'Flapjack': Heavyset and somewhat overweight student and key member of the 'SF' team. Loud and obnoxious, appears to be one of the schools main bullies.
  • Geraint 'Matchstick' Brys: Quiet and collected dragonling, captain of the 'SF' team. Seems to be one of the few people Flapjack listens to.

Setting Overview:
Small Town Heroes: Power Level, 8-10 (hero high restrictions). Scale, local. Setting, Modern. Style, light.

So, I put this in the first post, but I'm doing it again so everyone is clear on the settings theme.

Characters will begin at power level 8, but I will be taking some of the restrictions suggested in the hero high book for character creation. I mention below that the school you guys are going to isn't exactly the best. I'm always a fan of the underdog trope, so I do want to play into that a little with character creation (victory is so much sweeter when thought for).
  • For this reason, the teenagers the pc's play will be 'immature teens' (all attributes start at -1, with the exception of one attribute of their choice).
  • Skills are not restricted in this game. With heroes being so common, skills prioritised at school are a little different so players can choose these as normal.
  • Ranks are however limited to the power level of the game, instead of the power level +10. Characters probably haven't had much time to prefect these skills yet, so this is what is represented here.
  • As a positive, you do have access to all of the advantage in the hero high book (cool, disarming, untapped potential and holding back).
The setting for this game will be a fictional town on the west coast of New Jersey, a place that almost feels like the world moved on without it. Overall the town would be conservative in its views, but through the generations there has been a real mixture of different groups and cultures. Beach bums, factory workers, the religious and the rebellious. It's the kind of place that a Bruce Springsteen song could be about. I know it's cliché, but I think it's an interesting setting for a hero game. It's the kind of place where almost nothing happens, and in a world where a large percentage of that towns populations are superheroes, that's almost an impressive feat. In this world, heroes are a lot more common than in setting like the marvel of DC universes, but not everyone with a power is a hero or villain. Many people just shrug and get on with life. Sure it may benefit them in work, they may even build a career around it, but not everyone wants to risk their lives like superheroes do. This means players will see a lot of people with powers just going about their everyday lives.

Of course that may not be the case for the player characters. They will be attending the towns local school (or rather one of the two) dedicated to heroes. The aim of this establishment is to teach those with powers how to control their abilities, and if they choose to (which the school really does encourage), how to use them to be heroes. It's no where near as fancy as some of the schools you get in the cities, or those private schools you hear about on the news, it's not even the most prestigious local school, but it's the best you've got.

As I said, the setting will be modern, or more specifically mid 90's. I feel that it will be an easier time period to work in a real world setting. However the high quantities of super powers may well have altered the world around you in ways that are very different to what you know from real life, so fair warning on that one.

This game will be fairly light, though as with all rpg games there are likely to be some dark moments. As teenagers players may well have to deal with a number of issues beyond beating up bad guys. These can range from their religion to their sexuality to dealing with bullies and trying to get ready for tests. Things like race may also be something that comes up, and not just in the traditional sense. I don't intend to restrict players on just playing human if they have a good idea for something else. Maybe elves are actually very real, and just want to get along, or maybe there is life beyond the stars that don't want to deal with the hassle of that intergalactic life? These kind of inclusions in the game may very easily introduce all sorts of narrative issues for the players to deal with. I will say now that these kind of complications will be plot/narrative driven, and won't be something that's happening all the time, that would sap the fun out of the game pretty quickly. I will also be steering away from some of the darker themes as I don't want anyone playing or reading to be uncomfortable. Pc rape etc, things like that are a hard no go, no exceptions for that (I don't know why they are such a problem in ttrpgs, but I don't want to be a part of it). As an additional, if there are any themes that you are uncomfortable with as a player, please tell me in advance of the game start (private message if you want) so I can write around it. Overall, the players will very definitely be the good guys, and I intend for the game to be by and large an upbeat and exciting event as opposed to dark and broody. This will probably be closer to more of a humour based theme.

This game will be a mixture of standard rpg style mission completion and mystery solving as well as more slice of life events. You know that you need to stop those thugs down the streets, but how do you do that when you're grounded? You and your friends have got to stop investigating that abandoned factory at night, your grades are getting steadily worse etc etc.

Inspiration:
The reason I wanted to try one of these games in the first place is after watching Dimension 20's Fantasy High campaign (I strongly recommend it to everyone if you haven't seen it, check it on youtube). However I will also be drawing ideas from all over the genre, Sky High, Spider Man, X-Men (sort of), Kick-Ass, those sort of things. I do however intend for it to be overall a fairly original design, but you may well recognise a few powers or tropes here and there. Part of creating games that I enjoy is adding references here and there, so I hope that's not an issue.

The Players:
I've already mentioned that I am looking for players able to post once or twice a week, beyond that there isn't any other pre-requisite really. Anyone of any experience is welcome to come and play (if you're new we can learn together, so now worries!). I would say however that if you are going to play, please be nice to each other ooc, and if character is an arse, please differentiate between the ic and ooc so people know. I'd also ask that rules-lawyering is kept to a minimum, I like rule of cool and it's going to help me with this being my first game to have a bit of flexibility.

The Characters:
Again, there is no real limit to this beyond your own imagination. So long as the character is now a local to the town, I am willing to consider all options. Are they the child of a retired super who moved out of the city and thinks they're too good for this town? Perhaps a local who just wants to get out as soon as they can? Maybe your character loves it here and doesn't actually plan to be a hero after school? I will ask however that as this is going to have a fair amount of social encounters that you do build on the characters backstory with a decent amount of detail. Parents, friends, dreams, fears, neurosis. The more you guys give me to work with, the more I can integrate the character into the setting. You basically get out what you put in.

The Sessions:
So there will be a wide range of sessions to encounter during this campaign. Some of them will be very rp driven, working through classes, afterschool activities, dealing with friends, bullies and family. All of this will be narrative driven, in a game of this style I feel that social encounters are important.

However there will be plenty of moments for combat. This will range from 'P.E.' lessons o fighting villains, scuffles with the students of the other school, or fighting with the local punks or strange invading attackers.

The game will be very character driven, the characters decisions will sculpt the world around them and have great effects on future sessions. There will be an overarching campaign objective, but everything can change based on the players decisions.

In terms of the actual missions/enemies etc, the initial design will be a 'monster of the week' type setup, with characters given full opportunity to explore the world around them in the town and the threats that come with it. There will be many recurring characters, both allies and enemies, but there will be an overall enemy 'behind the scenes' style. That will be the final build up of the campaign, appearing in sessions here and there whether players realise or not.
Last edited by MrTweedy on Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Shadowmask

Re: Small Town Heroes (OOC/Recruitment)

Post by Shadowmask »

Alias: Golden Girl
Race/Origin: Human/Caucasian
Occupation: High school student; star pitcher and shortstop for the school softball team.
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 98 lbs./ 150 lbs. when transformed into her Golden Shell form.
Hair: Blond/ Metallic Gold when transformed.
Eyes: Blue/ Opaque Gold when transformed.
Birthplace: Bass City, New Jersey.
Family: Charles (father), Debra (mother).
Legal status: American citizen with no criminal record, still a minor.
Marital status: NA
Religion: Roman Catholic
Level of education: High school student.
Base of Operations: Green Creek School.
Group Affiliation:
Identity: Secret.
Quote: "All that glitters is really me."
Character Concept: Elemental Transmuter.
Hero Point: 1
Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZSe6N_BXs
Celebrity Bodycast:
Celebrity Voiceover: The same as above.

PL 8/120 Power Points

STR 0
STA 0
AGL 1
DEX 2
FGT 0
INT 0
AWE 0
PRE 1

Advantages: Defensive Roll 1, Equipment 1(Smartphone), Grabbing Finesse, Instant Up, Throwing Mastery 1. (5 points)

Skills: Athletics 8 (+8), Deception 6 (+7), Expertise: Campaign Town 8 (+8), Expertise: Current Events 8 (+8), Expertise: Popular Culture 8 (+8), Expertise: Softball Player 6 (+6), Expertise: Sports Trivia 8 (+8), Persuasion 6 (+7). (29 points)

Powers:

Feature: Erin can transmute tiny amounts of material (Rank -5 or less, Maximum of 25 pounds) by touch, turning small objects into solid gold so long as she maintains the effect. = 1 point.

Feature: Golden Girl is able to transform her clothing and similar worn or carried items into gold so they are unharmed by her own transformations. = 1 point.

Golden Touch: Array (36 points) with 1 alternate effect.

Base power: Change Person into petrified solid gold statue. Affliction 9 (Dazed and Hindered, Immobile and Defenseless, Transformed and Unaware); Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Continuous, Extra Condition, Instant Recovery (1 hour duration), Flaw: Close Range: touch. = 36 points.

Alternate effect: The Midas Effect: Transform Anything Into Golden versions of themselves, 9 (Continuous - object reverts to normal in 1 hour), Flaw: Close Range: touch. = 1 point.

Golden Shell: Enhanced Strength 7 (3 tons.), Limited to lifting. Protection 10, Extras: Impervious, Sustained. Flaw: Noticeable = 17 points.

Molten Gold Form: Insubstantial 1, Extra: Precise. (transforms either her entire body or parts of it into a mass of melted flowing gold). Elongation 2. Movement 2 (Slithering, Wall Crawling) = 12 Points.

Mutant Physiology: Immunity - Poison, Environmental Condition: Cold, Suffocation Effects (no need to breathe at all.) Limited to her Golden Shell and Molten Gold forms. = 4 Points.

Combat: Offense: Init +1, Golden Touch +9 (Close, Affliction 9), Grab +2, Unarmed +0 (Damage 0). Defense: Dodge 2, Parry 2, Fortitude 2, Toughness 0*/1 ( * - without Defensive Roll), Will 1.

Complications:

Motivation - (Doing good).

Mutant Genes: As a H-strain mutant, Erin suffers prejudice from genocidal lunatics and also can be detected and affected by devices designed against H-strain Mutants.

Obsession: Despite being a basically good person, of late Erin has been finding out that she has been obsessing a bit too much about the whole gold theme, from the bad puns to coveting shiny gold objects. But its just a phase, a fad right? Right?!!

Vulnerable/Involuntary Transformation (Heat/Fire Attacks) - Erin loses control of her physical body if she is struck by intense heat and flame while in her Golden Shell or Molten Gold forms and takes extra damage as well as changing back to normal.

Identity: Golden Girl tries to keep her powers and identity a secret from her parents who would definitely freak out and ground her until her senior year of college if they ever find out.

Relationships - Her parents, Charles Murphy who is a lawyer and Debra Murphy, a CPA. Her best friend Arlene Cross who knows about Erin's special powers.

Totals: Abilities 8 + Powers 72 + Advantages 5 + Skills 29 + Defenses 6 = 120 points.

History:

Erin was raised in a gated community complex called Silver Creek Center located in the suburbs east of the town of Bass City, New Jersey. The only child of affluent, middle class professionals, Erin lacked for nothing though her parents sometimes despaired of her tomboyish ways and fascination with sports especially baseball.

Her H-strain power recently manifested while during a softball practice game with her team, the Ravens. In her excitement, Erin patted her friend, Arlene on the back and suddenly to her horror, Arlene had changed into a solid gold statue!

Panicking, Erin found herself lifting Arlene's inert form as her own body transformed to a golden version of herself similar to Arlene's. Of course knowing next to nothing about how to handle super abilities, Erin did what anyone would do in such a situation: she carried her friend to the nearest hospital.

Fortunately they didn't made it very far because soon whatever transformed Arlene wore off and she reverted to normal although she was startled to see Erin covered all in gold and carrying her effortlessly with one arm. There was no real damage done and no one else was around to see the event. The two girls agreed to keep this a secret between them while Erin learned to control her powers and figured out what to do with them.
Last edited by Shadowmask on Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

Its still a work in progress. I need 12 more points.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

MrTweedy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:43 am (there is no major rush, It'll probably be a few days before I actually start the game, so plenty of time to sort something out).
It usually takes a couple weeks to get characters together before a game starts. Never seen a game posted and start in a few days.

Hero High (don't own it): So your stats are -1 without getting the 2 PP back?

I have a character idea for a semi-fluid powerhouse that I will work up.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I am plotting a mystic water-based character
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Cool, I'll get working on a character concept.

I would like clarification on some of the house rules, though:
MrTweedy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:43 am
  • For this reason, the teenagers the pc's play will be 'immature teens' (all attributes start at -1, with the exception of one attribute of their choice).
  • Skills are not restricted in this game. With heroes being so common, skills prioritised at school are a little different so players can choose these as normal.
  • Ranks are however limited to the power level of the game, instead of the power level +10. Characters probably haven't had much time to prefect these skills yet, so this is what is represented here.
For ability scores: we can still buy them up to any level we want to? So essentially the "start at -1" thing, besides flavor, mostly means that we just have 14 fewer Power Points to work with than normal for PL8? (I.e. if I bought all my ability scores up to 0, it would cost me 14 Power Points.)

For skills: only ranks are limited to 8? So I could still have a skill that goes up to +18 if I had a 10 in the matching Ability score? (I doubt I'll do that, but I want to understand the rules perfectly in any case.)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

It's been a while since I've thought about my gender fluid martial artist. They might make a good fit.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

And getting this out of my system now:

"Bomb New Jersey" by Voltaire

There's a magical land I know
A place where I grew up
And I'd make a deal with the devil himself
To see that place blown up

There in that interesting land I know
Where no one has a brain
They all wear jeans that are acid washed
And yet they think I'm insane

I would get down on my knees and service the Japanese
Till i reek of old sushi, but please
Bomb New Jersey
I would happily kowtow to my new leader Chairman Mao
I would even learn Chinese, just please
Bomb New Jersey

I would go tell Jong Ill Kim that they're making fun of him
In a kimchi-hating town that's known as New Jersey
Better yet I've got a plan, I will convince Pakistan
That India can be found somewhere in New Jersey

New Jersey is the place where i grew up
They pelted me with rocks and garbage
I guess it's tough to be a fruit in the Garden State
And if you have a sexy girlfriend then they're doubly irate

I would climb a rocky crag and plant a Russian flag
On a smoldering hole once known
As New Jersey
Oh, it would be a tragic loss if both Bon Jovi and The Boss
Are somewhere out of state when the Danes
Nuke New Jersey

It's a place named after a sweatshirt
So what more can you expect sir?
And if you try to express your individuality
They will throw you to the ground
And they'll kick you in the teeth
Like they did to me

The bombs come down on Morris Town
And Trenton's up in flames
Newark we drowned, then burnt it down
But Elizabeth still smells the same
Many butts will breach on Marmanth beach
We'll erase Orange from site

But before I leave this land I loathe
I bid New Jersey Goodnight
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Oh yeah, when you say west New Jersey, do you in the north, near Philipsburg (a lovely mostly rural area)? Do you mean south, down south of Camden (a very rural area)? And in the south, do you mean the river's edge or more toward the southern bay? (I am born and live in Central New Jersey. I know my way around it. :) )
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

3e, I take it?
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Hoid wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:46 pm3e, I take it?
Yes
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Shadowmaks, looks great so far! One thing that's worth mentioning at this point is that in terms of secret identities, these are considered less important these days due to the sheer volume of heroes. As a plot point it's perfectly fine (and a pretty interesting idea), but I just thought I'd say this so no one felt obligated to use a secret identity. One other thing I will also be asking for is where in the town the characters are from. Now I know that is a difficult ask without an accurate map of the actual town, but I am unfortunately not a good cartographer. What I am looking for more along the lines of if the characters are from the wealthier part of town, the 'wrong side of the tracks', that small block of flats near the edge of town etc. This is primarily to add an additional layer for narration and background for characters.

jumucchiello, fair point, I think I'll extend the time to get this set up to make things easier. In terms of the stats, characters do start with -1 without those points going into the pool. This is to represent that as tennagers you haven't fully developed into the heroes you can become. If the game covers enough time, characters may get these points back however as they grow older. That will really depend on how long the campaign runs for though.

In terms of location, I am thinking of plopping the town down near the southern bay (I think), north of a town called Del Haven. Full disclosure, I'm not actually from America, so I don't know the area very well. It just seems that it would suit the game very well. Of course as a local if you have any better suggestions, I'll be happy to hear them.

CaptainKaulu, you can still take the attributes up to what you want, it is only the skill ranks that are limited. This is to represent though a character may have a lot of natural talent (skills), they haven't had much time on earth to refine that talent into the actual skills. You also will effectively be starting with 14 less power points, yes. It's one of the options in the hero high book that I feel will provide the underdog vibe nicely.

EpicEclipse , sounds like an interesting concept! If you want to send me a basic concept I'll give it a look over.

Spectrum, they may well be! I look forward to seeing the character concept.

Hoid, it is third edition, yes.
Last edited by MrTweedy on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Needs lots of work to adjust it to the game!

Jamie Jackson - PL 8

True appearance, shh, its a secret.

Strength 7, Stamina 8, Agility 8, Dexterity -1, Fighting 0, Intellect -1, Awareness 8, Presence -1

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Animal Empathy, Benefit, Ambidexterity, Benefit, Athletics Based on Agility, Connected, Contacts, Cool: Persuasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Expertise: Martial Arts), Gather info on Persuasion, House Rule 14, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Languages 2, Martial Artist: Grappling as Unarmed, Skill Mastery: Acrobatics, Skill Mastery: Deception, Skill Mastery: Sleight of Hand, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge, Untapped Potential, Weapon Bind, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+10), Athletics 2 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 8 (+8), Expertise: Martial Arts 8 (+7), Insight 2 (+10), Perception 2 (+10), Persuasion 8 (+7), Treatment 4 (+3)

Powers
Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Strength 8 (+8 STR; Limited: Combat)
Sillputty: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Sleight of Hand +8 (+7); Limited: Contorting and Escaping)
The Face I Wear: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Deception +8 (+7); Limited: Disguise)

Offense
Initiative +16
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 17)
Throw, -1 (DC 22)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 22)

Complications
Enemy- martial arts rivals: Jamie keeps getting challenged to prove hir martial arts worthiness.
Honor: Martial Artist: Jamie struggles to follow the Noble Eightfold Path- right view/ right intention/ right speech, right action, right livlihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration

Power Loss: Holding a consistent form requires an act of will, mental influence or inoxication can cause hir to loose coherence.

Prejudice: Shapeshfiting freak
Relationship: *Master Wu: After hir parents abandoned hir, shi was raised by Master Wu. Shi remains very fond of the old man and seeks his approval and guidance.

Vanity/ Insecurity: While generally a good, humble kid, Jamie can't keep from showing off, trying to look the most attractive or really let go in physical endeavors.

Languages
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 40 + Powers 12 + Advantages 42 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Defenses 8 = 120

History: Jamie was the victim of yet another 'stage mom', being pushed into a hundred auditions and 'talent' shows, specializing in dance and gymnastics. Eventually, Jamie wasn’t willing to live that life anymore and started to rebel in little ways, little flubs or dawdling or costuming errors that cost big points.

In the start, it was easier to convince hir mother to go along with dance or cheerleader training, after all, those activities could be useful in trying to get a part. Like many other things, it got harder as shi got older, insisting on wearing gender-inappropriate clothing and taking up more serious sports- like martial arts! Shi went searching for a teacher that would be willing to teach hir on hir meager allowance and time. Shi eventually came to study under Master Lee. It was a rocky relationship to begin, but eventually they came to agreements and the paternal guidance that shi was missing in hir 'normal' life.

It was this relationship that saved young Jamie's life and sanity. Teenage years are hard for everyone, it's harder when you're hopefully confused about your sexuality, disastrous when you're also a t-baby. Classic situation of getting serious on an early date, freaking out and dissolving into a puddle of goo. This got the teenager disowned by hir very suddenly very conservative family, an outcast at school and on the edge of becoming another casualty to the horrors of being a teenager. It was only through the tough love of Master Lee that shi survived, making training so much more serious, both of the body and the spirit.

Very recently, Master Lee has recognized that shi needs to get back into the wider world and has encouraged hir to return to school.
Last edited by Spectrum on Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Spectrum, looks like a pretty interesting character! With the changes for the game I think it could make an interesting addition.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thank you! I really look forward to seeing what other people come up with :)

As far as points go, one of the larger concerns is that there is a major tendency (obsession?) around here that they meet all of their tradeoffs, all of the saves and attack/damage. At PL 8 most of the points are going to be spent there, leaving little room for individuality. With the -14 effective pp, that will be even more difficult.

How much of this is going to be a roleplay driven story versus really needing to make sure that we're combat 'effective'?