Game Interest: Several Ideas!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MrTweedy

Re: Game Interest: Several Ideas!

Post by MrTweedy »

I have been going over the gm guide, and it did have some rules to increase the lethality. I intend to use those for that game, and possibly for the Suits game as well. In some games

In some games I do also like to use 'helpless situations'. These would be scenarios where characters do risk serious injury or death due to being unable to escape or defend themselves. This would include situations such as an unconscious pc having been taken hostage, or a captured hero being threatened with death for information. I have found that players seem to appreciate the added risk, but this would be down how the players feel in advance of the game.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I'd be interested in the education system. Just more ideas in general for it really.

Borderlands could be interesting though if done right.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

The front lines seems intriguing and if I had better understanding of the setting Border Lands might be fun as well. The looting aspect of Border Lands does give me pause though. Short of one off uses in MnM or a prelude to buying it with points on loan, I haven't seen a good loot system yet.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

EpicEclipse and mrdent12, thanks for your interest! Currently the games Suits, Frontlines and Education System are the top three choices, now with Frontlines very slightly ahead of the other two (which are joint).

mrdent12, it's a valid concern. I think that the simplest idea would be to simply reduce the loot to big missions and bosses, but I will look into your suggestions.

Ok, I honestly quite surprised by the amount of interest this got (thanks by the way, really appreciated!), so I think I'm going to have to streamline things so that I can figure out the best game that will interest the most people. Can anyone interested in playing please let me know what their final first choice of game is. I think it's an odd number of people looking into this so hopefully one game will come out on top.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I'm definitely most interested in the education system game as my first choice.
Bill from Accounting

Post by Bill from Accounting »

I am also in favor of a hero high game.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

I would probably be up for the Education System one, if you run it.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

While I am not sure I have the bandwidth for it, Front lines would be my choice.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

EpicEclipse, mrdent12, pathfrinderq1 and Bill from Accounting, thanks! I'll make a not of your preferences.
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

If i'm picking one "education system ". But i'd like to here more about your plans for "front lines"
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Plan b, sure! So the basic idea is that you guys will be playing as either volunteers or conscripts in the allies military forces. Assuming that I go with the European theatre (which is my first choice), you guys would start in a boot camp setting, preparing for the assault on Normandy. This would give the characters a chance to get to know each other, and practice a bit with their powers (handy for new players and myself as a new gm). From there sessions will vary from detailed encounters showing travel, battles etc and time skips between key events so that things don't get too bogged down. Of the game ideas (with the possible exception of the borderlands game), this will be the setting with the highest risk of death. Tanks, bombs and enemies designed with the purpose of killing supers will be all over the place. This means teamwork and smart moves will be key here. It's also worth mentioning just because you're characters have powers, doesn't mean you have to be superheroes. A character who reveals their powers to officers etc may well find themselves plunged into harder and harder missions that regular troops couldn't hope to live through. This means players can either try to keep their heads down or embrace their role. The best description I can think of for the setting at the minute is the Wolfenstein franchise. His intensity action, plenty of violence and a load of chances to beat up Nazi's. However there will be a more down to earth tone to this. Even as supers you will have to deal with death on a regular basis, war changes people after all. In terms of origins, all (within reason) are available, but the most common would be scientific research such as chemical alteration or cybernetics. However if a player wants to do a Wonder Woman, they are welcome to do so.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

So, the setting would be entirely US-centric?

I was kinda hoping to play a Russian Jew powerhouse.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Other nationalities are certainly options of course. Multiple countries were involved in the Normandy invasion. I am currently looking at running the same setting with more of a partisan theme to it, but I'm still working on the details. My general ruling is if you can explain why a character would be present, I will usually allow it.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Are you close to picking one of these ideas and running with it? I suspect anyone who is going to reply has done so. Picking an idea is easy compared to the quality of characters you are going to have to pick the PCs from.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Education system would probably be the most easily accessible, but I do like Wolfenstein a lot.