The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - (Full) - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kirinke

Re: The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - Recruiting

Post by kirinke »

I would say that Alice was low on the Totem pole in High school. Loved to dance and was involved in the drama club.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:14 pm
For the older characters- Pratfall and John Smith, things are just as easy with a little modification. Maybe John Smith worked in San Francisco before, but commuted from his family home in Bodega Bay- post-Merge his employer ramped up operations in San Fransokyo instead (a much shorter commute). And maybe he ran a small (informal) computer repair gig in town (too small to have a real business, so all the locals went to him), or taught a course or two on the side at the high school...

Or maybe I should just shut up and go back to working on my own character.
Heh.

Some GREAT ideas. I had already modified his background section that, when younger, John Smith was a local I.T. guy. And since *I* know how much that pays and in order to have a better tie-in with other characters, I think he did a short stint as Computers and Technology teacher at the high school (in addition to maintaining the school's computer lab).
"Something pithy this way comes."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

How long is recruiting going for and how m,any players do you ultimately want, Bladewind?
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Here's the new partial background for Fire:

Amy Wilson was one of the popular girls in high school. She was also smart and third in line for validictorian. She was hoping to be a doctor after college. She lead the Swim Team (medley and backstroke) to the state finals three years in a row and came in first in backstroke her junior year making her a minor celebrity in the small town. She then worked as a lifeguard at the beach most summers after that.

But all of that changed when the world went mad. An unusual case even for the Merge, Amy somehow emerged from M-day with six heroes in her head:
etc.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Well, Samuel would have been one of the rich kids in school, but, as I mentioned in his background, not a total jerk like others who have it easy...
Flynnarrel

Re: The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - Interest

Post by Flynnarrel »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:33 pm Okay then- I saw the reference but missed the detail, specifically how much of "Our" San Francisco survived the changes of the Merge. Either way, I wrote something up for Bay Shore, CA, formerly Bodega Bay, CA. It should be flexible enough to allow for most people's background choices, and the original area was small enough that we could all have known one another fairly easily (as much or as little as we might like). It also notes that some people stayed in the (new) town, some moved into San Fransokyo, and others have moved out into the wider world- until something plot-y draws them back.

Anyways:

>PROPOSED BACKGROUND SETTING (Please vote or comment, especially the GM). Once we have a starting point people can finalize background stuff.

Bay Shore, CA

Before the Merge, the town of Bodega Bay sat on the California shoreline, about an hour north of San Francisco. Bodega Bay (and the even smaller town of Bodega, just inland) were, for the most part, sleepy little communities, far enough away from the Big City to have their own identity, yet close enough (connected by the Pacific Coast Highway, state Route 1) to allow easy access. The town subsisted mostly on tourism and as a vacation/bedroom community, but held a remarkable sampling of people among its relatively small populace (1,077 residents, as of the 2010 census). It was certainly small enough for most residents to know one another (if they were so inclined), but also welcomed those who were a bit more eccentric, or simply valued their privacy- like the leftover hippies growing weed up in the hills or the Russian family who ran the garage and used car lot (who were probably in the Witness Protection Program, everyone agreed).. A number of movies had been filmed there over the years, including most of The Birds, and the picturesque shoreline was a major draw. Dot’s Seafood Diner was right down on the docks, and it was a prime destination for foodie tourists.

All of that changed with the Merge. In the course of one night, the mega-city of San Fransokyo coalesced out the fog just south of Bodega Bay. The entire geography of the area warped to support the new city, and the former shoreline town found itself on the inland side of a range of scrubby hills- the smaller inland town of Bodega was almost entirely altered, becoming the island of New Alcatraz in the middle of a spontaneously-formed Bay.

Disaster services did what they could- FEMA, the Red Cross, and a few newly-arrived beings lifted straight from the movies or comic books. Most of the residents of Bodega Bay (and all of the former residents of Bodega) were sheltered in a resettlement camp until the new geography stabilized. There were support groups, temporary schools, and all manner of temporary friendships and connections over the next few months. But in time, life settled down again. Some people drifted away, either into the new city just across the (new) bay, or farther out into the world at large. Some people stayed, and with a booming new population, they formed the town of Bay Shore- several times larger than Bodega Bay had been, the town quickly grew into an artsy, bohemian retreat of sorts, very similar to the role that Sausalito played to “Old” San Francisco. There was still a Dot’s Seafood Diner down by the docks, just like there used to be- but that dock now served a commuter ferry rather than a few stray sailboats, and Sergei and his family still ran a garage, but now they also rented cars and ATVs for excursions up into the hills along the Pacific.
So We're going with this, correct?
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

I don't have a problem with it.

Battle Init
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Seems to be the general consensus.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

If you guys are good with it, so am I...

(Weekend again... they get away from me, plus long weekend up here in Canada... will try to catch up this evening...)
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Alright, I added a bit more background to Alice and did some minor math corrections. It's much less cluttered and much more toned down than it was before.

Battle Init
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Here's an update to Fire, don't know where to spend that last point. Her background is now tied into the common background.
jmucchiello wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:37 pm Image

Amy "Fire" Wilson
(Hero; PL: 8; PP: 149/150)

Strength: 1; Agility: 0; Fighting: 0; Awareness: 0
Stamina: 10; Dexterity: 0; Intellect: 7/0; Presence: -1

Dodge: 6, Parry: 6, Fortitude: 10, Toughness: 10, Will: 6

COMBAT
Initiative: +0; Close: +0; Ranged: +0
  • Dehydrate: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 8: (Fortitude DC 18) Range: 30 feet radius sphere, dc 18
  • Fire Burst: Burst Area Damage 8: (DC 23) [Fire] Range: 200/400/800 ft.
  • Grab: +0 (Special DC 11) Range: Close
  • Magma Blast: Damage 10: +6 (DC 25) [Earth / Fire] Range: 250/500/1000 ft.
  • Nova Burst: Burst Area Damage 8: (DC 23) Range: 60 feet radius sphere, dc 18
  • Summon Flames: Damage 8: +8 (DC 23) [Earth / Fire] Range: 200/400/800 ft.
  • Throw: +0 (DC 16)
  • Unarmed: +0 (DC 16) Range: Close
SKILLS: Athletics +4 (3r); Deception -1; Expertise: Model/Dancer +8 (1r); Expertise: Nursing +8 (1r); Expertise: Physics +8 (1r); Expertise: Poli Sci +8 (1r); Expertise: Spy +8 (1r); Insight +5 (5r); Intimidation -1; Investigation +8 (1r); Perception +5 (5r); Persuasion -1; Stealth +0; Technology +8 (1r); Treatment +8 (1r)
LANGUAGES: English; French; Latin; Portuguese; Spanish
ADVANTAGES: Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Languages 3

POWERS
  • (Sensory) Geothermal Techtonic Sense: Senses 8 - Acute: Techtonic Activity, Analytical: Techtonic Activity, Detect: Techtonic Activity 2 (Ranged), Extended: Techtonic Activity 4 (X10k); Flaws: Limited: Only for predicting Earthquakes (4 PP)
    This power originates from Magma.
  • (Sensory) Merger "Sight": Senses 6 - Accurate: Merger, Acute: Merger, Analytical: Merger, Detect: Merger 2 (Ranged); Flaws: Quirk: Three points for free 3 (3 PP)
  • (Sensory) Messages from God: Senses 4 - Precognition; Flaws: Uncontrolled (2 PP)
    This power comes from Firebird who views her glimpses of the future as signs of God's favor and warnings from God.
  • (Sensory) Radiation Sense: Senses 1 - Radio (1 PP)
    This power originates from Firestar.
  • Environment: Environment 1 Radius: 30 feet - Heat (Extreme) (2 PP)
  • Fire Powers - (37 PP)
    • Dehydrate: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 8 - 1st degree: Fatigued, 2nd degree: Exhausted, Resisted by: Fortitude; Extras: Area (Burst) (30 feet radius sphere, dc 18), Cumulative, Increased Duration 2 (Sustained), Selective; Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree
      She fills the area with heat drying the air so much it tires those in the area.
    • Fire Burst: Burst Area Damage 8 - Extras: Area (Burst) (30 feet radius sphere, dc 18), Increased Range (Ranged), Selective; Descriptors: Fire
      Fire erupts from her body and strikes everything nearby that she chooses to hit.
    • Magma Blast: Damage 10 - Extras: Accurate 3 (+6), Increased Range (Ranged), Secondary Effect; Descriptors: Earth, Fire
      The firey mass that strikes has the consistency of magma. It clings to the victim and burns them a second time. Amy is loathe to use this power as it can easily kill someone knocked out by the first hit.
    • Nova Burst: Burst Area Damage 8 - Extras: Area (Burst) 2 (60 feet radius sphere, dc 18), Secondary Effect
      This power comes from Nova. It is the same as Johnny Storms Nova Burst ability.
    • Summon Flames: Damage 8 - Extras: Accurate 4 (+8), Increased Range (Ranged), Indirect 3 (Any point in fixed direction or fixed point in any direction), Multiattack; Descriptors: Earth, Fire
      Fire erupts from the earth and strikes at targets she selects within range.
  • Firey Body: Insubstantial 3 Energy - Descriptors: Fire, Radiation (15 PP)
    This power comes from Fire, Firehawk, and Magma. Her flame form is a swirl of green and orange flames. She generally doesn't activate this power consciously.
  • Flight: Flight 8 Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round - (16 PP)
    She flies through a combination of heating the air around her and firey propulsion.
  • Multiple Physiologies: Immunity 12 - Damage Effect: Fire, Damage Effect: Radiation, Poison, Rare Descriptor: Demonic Possession (12 PP)
    She is immune to radiation due to Firebird and Firestar. Poison and demonic possession due to Firebird.
  • Spotty Memory: Enhanced Intellect 7 +7 INT - Ability: Intellect; Flaws: Limited: Essentially, she has disadvantage on Intellect Checks (7 PP)
    Due to her amalgam of multiple brains, accessing her memory requires to check rolls and she uses the lower result.
Eyes: Blue/Green Hair: Red/Black/Green
Height: 5' 8" Weight:120 lb.

BACKGROUND
Amy Wilson was one of the popular girls in high school. She was also smart and third in line for valedictorian. She was hoping to be a doctor after college. She lead the Swim Team (medley and backstroke) to the state finals three years in a row and came in first in backstroke her junior year making her a minor celebrity in the small town. She then worked as a lifeguard at the beach most summers after that.

But all of that changed when the world went mad. An unusual case even for the Merge, Amy somehow emerged from M-day with six heroes in her head:

Fire, a.k.a. Beatriz Bonilla da Costa
Firebird, a.k.a. Bonita Juarez
Firehawk, a.k.a. Lorraine Reilly
Firestar, a.k.a. Angelica Jones
Magma, a.k.a. Amara Juliana Olivians Aquilla
Nova, a.k.a. Frankie Raye

All of them manipulate fire in some manner and all of them are heroes. But that didn't help poor Amy retain her sanity. She spent most of 2015-16 in a mental ward trying to come to grips with her overloaded set of memories.

Mostly, she has quelled the extra voices in her head through meditation, psychotherapy, and an ongoing drug regimen. The once outgoing, friendly teen was replaced by a sad, withdrawn woman. She was still very smart, maybe even smarter now, but she has a hard time pulling her knowledge together sometimes.

Although many of the minds inside her are accomplished martial artists, Amy has not been able to put that training to use and she is loathe to open herself up to those "alien" memories. Some of those memories involve dancing but when she tries to use those memories her moves are awkward and mistimed. Her swimming skills are also not what they once were.

After her 18 month stay in an Asylum, Amy started putting her life back together by studying nursing through an online college. She only started doing in person classes/field work last semester at a local hospital.

She still lives in the town she grew up in as it is familiar, even if some parts of it have changed dramatically. She just calls that "progress" and puts out of her mind that this so called progress was M-day.

COMPLICATIONS
  • Fascination with Fire: A large fire can become mesmerizing to Amy. This "pyromania" existed in Amy long before M-day and she sometimes enjoys watching things burn.
  • MGS: Amy Wilson knows everything there is to know about pyrokinetics because she has the memories of six pyrokinetics swimming around in her head.
  • Motivation: Doing Good: Amy was always a good person but her need to do good is amplified by the minds inside of her.
  • On again/Off again Catholic: Amy was not religious before M-day, but thanks to Firebird, she sometimes believes in Catholicism. For a while she thought she was empowered thanks to God. This faith can rise and fall within her at any time, triggered by external religious tropes. (Not sure this is really a complication so don't feel obligated to do anything with it.)
  • Psychotic Drug Dependence: Amy takes a regimen of drugs daily to maintain her stable persona. Without them she would either become catatonic or become one of the voices in her head.
  • Relationship - various people: With all of her memories, she has deep emotional feelings, not all of them sexual, for several different people, some of which she is only vaguely aware of. These feeling are for, but not limited to, Ice, Cannonball, Iceman, Sunspot, Guy Gardner, Flash, Hank Pym, and even Mephisto.
MOVEMENT AND STRENGTH DATA
Size: Normal size ~6 ft.
Flight: 500 miles/hour; 1 mile/round
Walking: 2 miles/hour; 30 feet/round; Running: 4 miles/hour; 60 feet/round
Swimming: 1/2 mile/hour; 6 feet/round
Jumping: Running 10 ft.; Standing 5 ft.; Vertical 2 ft.; Standing Vertical 1 ft.
Throwing Distances: 400 lbs. up to 6 ft, 100 lbs. up to 30 ft, 25 lbs. up to 120 ft

TOTALS: Abilities: 20, Powers: 99, Advantages: 5, Skills: 7, Defenses: 18 -> 149

HOUSE RULES
  • Skill Points: 3 Skill Points per PP
  • Optional Rules: Add Power Modifier Prefix, Choose Starting PP
  • PRE-based free advantages
  • 3 free PP for "merge" sense
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Small favor - can you put the build in the original post? Makes sheets easier to keep track of if I can follow the links in the list.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

It is in the original post. Above is just a quote.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Not going to get too into commenting on builds, just some thoughts for the moment...

Neo-Paladin wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:51 pm Okay, Bladewind...maybe clarify the " Detect Merger" thing a bit? Or, if this is the only thing that keeps my char from being complete, I'll forgo it completely.
I am purposefully keeping it vague to see how people refine it. I could actually see Samuel being the one to not have it - judging people and XDs on their nature and not their origin. It's not meant to make you all into XD hunters, and is actually intended to "burn out" by the end of the first story... and yes, any points sunk into it will be returned (except the initial freebies...)

Also, for Samuel's background, I believe he witnessed Starguard's version of Supergirl in action, or yet another, as the Melissa Benoist version was on the other side of the ocean IIRC. This is a detail that may (or may not) be important later on... I would like his opinion on the League of Supermen... Although their individual motives notwithstanding, it's pretty clear that they are mostly dedicated to upholding Superman's ideals - except Sleet who is a little... sketchy. Again, they may or may not appear - they aren't planned for the first story with the exception of one...

@kirinke That image has me more sold on the character than the build or background. Gonna need a little more time to ponder this one...

@Doctor Malsyn I am liking that she can actually function in sunlight. You specify "weaponized" in the complication - so that would be any weapon or power with a UV or sunlight descriptor, right? I think this is a good balance to keep you from being a "daywalker" and being stuck indoors all day. I also like the blend of MGS and Earther...

@pathfinderq1 I like where you are headed with this. Can't wait to see a little more...

@Flynnarrel I can't get over how much you can get out of the descriptor of Duplication with so little actual use of the Summon effect...

@Fuzzyboots Does he get compared to the Joker at all? I'm serious. From his background, his clownface is now his permanent face... Not overly dramatizing, but the thought did occur... The Power Loss is pretty good, and there is another aspect I got out of the background and complications and that is that Prattfall is doing his schtick to cope with the effects of the Merge... Interesting.

@jmucchiello Her meds complication is a good one. I like how there are several personalities burning for control... My only real concern thus far is that it seems her MGS and MPD are practically crippling her... (Ah, and thanks for clarifying the posting/ pasted post. Appreciate it.)

@ALL I like where you have all started. I see the group fitting together rather well, and the characters fit my concept pretty well... I was planning on taking 5 or 6, but with 7 solid submissions.. gonna go over the builds and concepts some more before making a decision...

A good chunk of the characters have solid ties to the aspect I was going for, while the others bring balance...

As I said, these were very basic comments and observations... I like this group of characters a lot...
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Bladewind wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:46 am @Doctor Malsyn I am liking that she can actually function in sunlight. You specify "weaponized" in the complication - so that would be any weapon or power with a UV or sunlight descriptor, right? I think this is a good balance to keep you from being a "daywalker" and being stuck indoors all day. I also like the blend of MGS and Earther...
What I imagine is, as a combination of not being a 'natural' vampire and her other self having been an older and more powerful one, she has a greater resistance to natural sunlight. Could still get a good sunburn though if she wasn't careful, and it does make her feel a bit tired. Dedicated damaging attacks though, with more intensely concentrated rays? Yeah, that's gonna leave a mark. Thanks for your positive comments.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."