[IC] AA: Gulf Coast Guardians - [ENDED]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kreuzritter

Re: [IC] AA: Gulf Coast Guardians - Housewarming

Post by kreuzritter »

Juno

"On that note," Juno adds, "the rest of you know my day job by now, and it takes me far afeild. I'll try to give advance warning when possible, and I'll try to keep my work local, but there will be times when I'm away and can't be contacted."
OOC:

this is purely to set up that Juno's interludes and one-shots will sometimes take her to some remote locations as per the whole adventure-archeologist gimmick
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

All

Sanzel excuses himself to freshen up for the press conference.

"So I heard from my contact at AEGIS. The suits were stolen. They were part of a special package Amethyst Inc was offering to the city of Phoenix Bay to assist in their law enforcement. Part of their efforts undermine the Champions, but everything was thrown into chaos when they lost their case against Michelle Yeoh and her new partner. The followup lawsuit brought to light several illegal actions by the board. This sent the company into bankruptcy causing the assets to be scooped up by several different organizations. The suits fell through the cracks and somehow the Force Werks guys found out and stole them."

Sanzel emerges, shirt buttons, jacket on, and hair perfect.

"Ohay, I'm ready."

"Yeah, sure," Frank says with a chuckle.

"Sanzel looks at him and nods. "I'm sorry, but this is not going to be an easy press conference. As I said, they are out there waiting for this all to fail. Each of you will need to says a few short words and take some questions. I have done what I can to keep them away from any secrets, but if you avoid them or give them a complete runaround, they are going to dig deep into your private lives until they find something they can use to tarnish you."
Okay, so the Press Conference will be a bit of a skill challenge.
You will each make an opening statement where you will make a Persuasion check to try to win the press and control the follow-up questions.
You can also use a power that might be appropriate.
How well you do will determine the number of questions and how difficult they are. Follow up checks will be Persuasion, Intimidation, Deception, or anything you feel is appropriate. You will each need to pass three question checks. Failure to do so will lead to further complications later in the game.

Skyguard can perform and introduction of each of the others, and with a successful DC10 check for each PC, grant a +2 bonus to the initial Persuasion check.

While it will be performed sequentially, to save time, everyone should post their opening statement and Skyguard should post his introduction of each PC.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Sky Guard
HP: 0
Cnd: Healthy
Favored Environment: Defense Shifted

"We should have a signal that we can given if someone wants a teammate to interject and assist them in a socially difficult situation. Say … combing your hair back."

Sky Guard nods to himself as he mentions this precaution to the group, in light of Sanzel's repeated warnings. He pauses briefly, then raises a hand towards the others in a fashion that seemed as though he were making an invitation.

"Are there any concerns that need addressing before we meet the press?"
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

All

"They are probably going to think the fight was a setup," Sanzel responds.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Kit Ferryman
Cnd: Fine

"The press are easy. Flash them a smile, act confident, and crack a few jokes. Of all the pressers I've done, the whole movie star thing never fails. The fans eat it up.", says Kit. He had experience with the press, so he wan't too worried. Most of his past press conferences had been for movies he part of that wanted to tap into his cult following, but there was always that one reporter.

"On that note, I should probably dress for the part.", says Kit as he opens a portal back to his room. Stepping through, he gets out a blazer, white shirt, jeans, and 10 dollar sun glasses that looked expensive. Once dressed, he steps back through the portal. "All set on my end. A signal would be good. Back when those rumours of me and an actress who shall go unnamed were accused of having an affair, one of my fellow cast mates would jump in to deflect the questions. Didn't hurt the fellow cast mate was the unnamed womans husband.", adds Kit.

Once Sanzel speaks, Kit chimes in again nonchalantly. "They'll think a lot of things probably. Be cool though and it should all work out.", says Kit.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Juno

Juno's recovered, fixed her hair given her one piece a quick cleaning.

"I think Kit should handle the claims about that fight being staged," she says, "any one of us could, but like you said, you're the movie star. they're more likely to believe you."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Tamati "Taheka" Stevens

"Yeah I agree with Juno, any questions about the fight been fake are best answered by you Kit otherwise if they ask something we don't know then just be honest, no point in making something up that could be found out later."

Maybe he was just stating the obvious but it was one of the things that was drummed into them at camp.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Sky Guard

"That is settled then."

Sky Guard states after Kit expresses an expertise, or at least familiarity, in handling the press and two members of the team support him in taking point on the social endeavor ahead of them.

"If there is nothing else we may as well get this started."

He paused briefly to see if anyone had a concern they intended to voice before speaking with the journalists. As long as they did not, he moved away from the room they were holding their discussion, and towards the back where the press waited for them.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Kit Ferryman

Kit just nods. "Hey its the press, what the worst they do? Vilify us? Once we start giving results they will have to eat their words.", says Kit following Skyguard.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Arca-Knight

"Um... so how much should I play up the 'wise and mysterious magic user' image?" Arca-Knight asked, her voice sounding more timid than anyone had heard from her. "I wasn't exactly a public speaker before I tried out for this, but I can act the part...and certain magic can be good at adding drama... but I don't want to go overboard and look arrogant or anything."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

All

"The only suggestion I can give is don't try to win over the press," Frank comments. "The only people you need to win over are the public. Be authentic and win them over. Be fake and lose them forever."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Angela
"The only suggestion I can give is don't try to win over the press," Frank comments. "The only people you need to win over are the public. Be authentic and win them over. Be fake and lose them forever."
Angela pauses with her hand on the doorknob, hearing Frank's muffled voice come through it. The word rings in her mind: Fake.

She had left to get changed after battle, as Sanzel himself left to freshen up before the press conference. Bryan had impressed upon her the importance of dressing and presenting himself properly. She wore jeans and a T-shirt witrh a hoodie over it. Modest and unassuming, with only her fiber-optic hair to reveal her machine nature.

For Man is a superficial, shallow creature. Doc Otaku crafted her to be pleasing to his eye, dressed her in the scandalous style he so favored, gave her the luscious curves and luminous blue eyes he lusted after. Bigots and hatemongers dismissed entire millions as sub-human based on something as small as the color of their skin, a epidermis barely a fraction of an inch thick. False prophets of justice mocked and humiliated women for showing skin, for being unashamed of their bodies, for not conforming to their standards of how women should dress and appear. Slut. Whore. Ho. Trashy. Mocked them, with hateful venom dripping from the barbed tips of sarcasm quotes. "Empowered." "Hero."

Why do words hurt so much? Angela frowns. She does not understand. Her defensive systems are at full capacity, her shields intact, titanium-iridium armor unbreached, but it hurts.

She remembers. She remembers the last interview she had trying out for a superhero team.

"I'm sorry, but I can't accept her. Listen, it's 2019. I don't care what Amethyst is doing out west; I can't have a female hero in a bikini walk onto the stage on International Women's Day."

The interviewer was a woman. For some reason, the fact that it was a woman made it hurt more. There are no people as ruthlessly, inhumanly cruel to women as other women.

"She has a good heart. She's trying to help." It was Bryan, being interviewed separately from her. Bryan thought she was not listening in, thought she could not hear the conversation going on behind the door she was leaning against, thought she could not feel the sound waves translated into microscopic vibrations in the plywood.

"She can't give us the kind of help we need. We need someone who can support this superteam's wholesome, family-friendly image and promote its social agenda." The woman continued speaking: "Besides, we need another woman on the team to keep the gender ratio equal, and she won't do. She's a robot, a machine. She's fake."

She remembers saying to Bryan to leave after the interview. To go somewhere far, far away. And that was how they came to the Gulf Coast, to meet Sanzel.

The words hurt. They wounded her in a way gunfire and munitions could not. They struck deep in the core of her A.I. matrix.

Her hand pauses on the doorknob, and for the first time Angela is afraid. The heroes in comics and anime rarely had to worry about not having the adoration of the general public. But, slowly, she is coming to realize that the two worlds are not quite alike. What if the people she wants to defend reject her? What then? She hesitates.

And then, in the core of her A.I. matrix, the neural network flares and grows in a sudden burst, and she looks up with new resolve.

If they are not alike, then it's up to her to change that. To make something true and real out of all of Doc Otaku's frivolous hobbies.

Angela opens the door to the changing room and walks back out. "I'm ready," she says brightly to her teammates. "Let's go."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Sky Guard

Acr-Knight speaks up voicing her query about what demeanor to present and commented on her lack of experience with public speaking. Sky Guard took in her timid shift in mannerisms. This was the sort of thing he was looking for when he asked the others to voice their concerns, so that they could be addressed prior to the meeting. So SKy Guard had made no move to the back just yet. Instead, he spoke to his teammate projecting confidence and support.

"I will echo Frank's advise about being true to yourself. If you are worried about public speaking remember that you have a team to back you up. Give the signal and either Kit or I will interject."

He paused a few seconds and appeared to internalize some debate with himself. Finally he followed up his initial statements with a suggestion for Arca-Knight.

"Allow me to give my statement ahead of you, Arca-Knight. Perhaps I can warm the press up before your own."
OOC wrote:Since Arca-Knight has voiced discomfort with public speaking, I'll take Kensiedo up on his suggestion to do an introduction for her to try and smooth things over with the crowd before her statement comes around.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Kit Ferryman

"The lesson I learned was the press, unless you had drinks with one or two of them the night before and got a bit drunk leading to some happy things, will eat you alive. Just be you and let your true self fly.", adds Kit.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

All

All of you head out back with Sanzel. The reporters are milling about in dozens of discussions that all immediately stop when you show yourselves.

There is a small stage built with a podium and mic. There is plenty of room in the back to stand behind the speaker. Sanzel approaches the mic.

"I would like to thank you for your patience," he says as the reporters get set back up. Cameras and directional mics are pointed at the stage, recorders are turned on and notebooks are in hand.

"The team was unfortunately delayed by Force Werks' impromptu tryout for team arch. As you can imagine, the team will keep looking."

There are a few chuckles from Sanzel's joke.

"Look, we are all here, for one thing, to meet the Gulf Coast Guardians. I have already explained my reasons and role with the team moving forward, so I am not going to take up more of your time repeating the same thing I have said dozens of times since this whole thing started. Instead, I am going to get out of the way and let the Guardians be the stars."

He steps aside and sweeps his hand past you all. "Ladies and Gentlemen," he says raising his volume to deal with his distance from the mic, "The Gulf Coast Guardians!"

The press all offer a polite "golf clap" for several moments.
Okay, as stated, it is sequential, but to keep things moving, we will do everybody at the same time.
Everybody provide their opening statement and make a Persuasion check.

Sakuro, please include an intro for each person. You don't technically need to make a Persuasion roll to boost theirs, you automatically make the check. Everyone else gets a +2 to their initial Persuasion check.

I will post follow up questions for each of you one at a time and the DC for Deception and Persuasion to get a positive response. Skyguard or Kit can step in for each person one time and provide an Aid to their check. More than once and any bonus is countered by PC looking weak and not able to answer their own questions. Each time Skyguard or Kit Aids a PC, the DC goes up for their next Aid check to any PC, for a similar reason.