Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment to 07/27)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment)

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:44 pm So my precog/fate character knew ahead of time that powers were going to gradually arrive. :)

And her precog is not a main power. (And I assume she only sees possibilities, not "THE FUTURE") So it shouldn't be an issue. Her main power is mind reading.
One of the abilities I was considering for a character with such vast intellectual prowess was a deductive/predictive form of Pre/postcognition. When you're mind is a supercomputer on steroids, why wouldn't you be able to simple run through the probabilities, ya know?

Still, if you're going with that I'll avoid it myself, along with avoiding the more mind-reading aspects of mental powers.
jmucchiello wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:53 pm I think the real downside is you don't have time to construct anything. But, EE I wouldn't nix it completely. Building a super-gadget brings its own complications. People will see the gadget and think "How in the world did someone make that?" That and where do you get a quantum phase converter to make the gadget in the first place?
There is that, yeah. Epic did say that it's not as if all of our powers truly show up at once I believe, and my character could have these bouts of 'inspiration' where he'd make things... Still, just one probability. I'm seeing how far I can stretch simply being super damn smart for the moment. Looking into Casualty Perception for instance, predicting people's moves in mid-combat and such.
mrdent12 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:57 pm Clearly, all he did was reverse the polarities of capacitos and run through the plasma coils or the beam. Duh
Obviously what happened was he put his quantum harmonizer in their photonic resonation chamber... :lol:
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

My first instincts are to play a very "normal" guy. By that I mean an unassuming local. Owns a small blue-collar business...maybe a self-employed plumber. He's a family man, who enjoys his low-profile life with his wife and kids. Then this event happens and now....BOOM!...he has paragon-like super abilities: flight, super-toughness, and super-strength to name a few. Now his new reality will clash hard with the simple life he strongly desires.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:59 pm Still, if you're going with that I'll avoid it myself, along with avoiding the more mind-reading aspects of mental powers.
You don't really have to do that. Her mind reading is Reaction: Seeing someone, Subtle 2, Insidious, Permanent, Surface thoughts only. She always knows what is being thought by everyone she can perceive. In the opening days of her power, she should be a basket case. ;)

Did I mention she has penetrates concealment on her vision? :)

My point though is she isn't a traditional mind reader. She just knows what people are thinking around her whether she wants to or not.

I'm going to post her soon to see if EE approves of her because she is not a "normal" superhero.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

I haven't really done a higher-powered game, so maybe I'll try this out.

At first I was thinking weather controller, but somebody pitched that idea. Then I was thinking paragon, but that too seems to have been called. I might stay in the paragon-adjacent area, focusing either more towards the speedster or powerhouse end of the Paragon range. In this case, it would be for a hardened city-services veteran (police probably, but maybe firefighter or nurse/EMT), someone who lived in the Big City (exactly which city is TBD) and fought the good fight for years- they finally burned out after a bad incident (injury, losing a long-time partner, etc.) and retired to the wilderness to live out their life in peace and quiet (fishing?). After the Incident, they will feel compelled to help out once more, to take up the burden they thought they had laid down for good- because now they can help in ways they never could before, in ways no one else can. Shades of Astro City's Samaritan, or Superman 2.

The other possibility is the opposite end of the scale- a teenager who hasn't even come to terms with who they are, what they really want in life, suddenly saddled with world-altering abilities (either whole-hog reality warping Create/Destroy/Transform or global scale teleportation). Someone who now has a vastly different scale of worldview, but still has to determine Who They ARE (without wishing anyone into the Corn Field!)

Will ruminate.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Regarding gadgets, I never said not to or meant to dissuade from the idea, just saying to be mindful of how it was gone about. there are a few ways you could go mechanically. Fluff wise, you'd want your gadgets to be low key in description and effect, otherwise they become obvious when used around other people.

Mechanically, possible methods are;

Variable with Slow, and putting removable on things made with the variable. Removed gadgets made with variable are just like normal removed devices, others can use them, you can't until you take the time to rebuild, the gadget eventually running out of power at that time. (a smart failsafe against gadgets being taken is a proprietary power source that has a expiration of one form or another)

The other is bookmarking points to be spent on them later. Obviously this means you are much more limited since you can't easily invent new lasting gadgets outside of the inventor advantage.
CaptainChaos wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:48 pm This sounds interesting. If I understand correctly, everyone survives a disaster but don't understand why or how. Knowledge of their powers will not be immediate. Focusing more on how to deal with having powers than actually beating up supervillains.
This is a succinct summary of the game I am envisioning.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Question moved further down...
Last edited by Bladewind on Thu May 09, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Thokk_Smash

Post by Thokk_Smash »

Posting much interest! I will probably go with a Speedster (I saw you had considered it, pathfinderq, but I really love me my speedsters). I'm leaning toward a college-aged student studying law, estranged from his fairly wealthy family from a difference in opinion of subjects which I haven't decided upon yet.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

EDIT: No longer a submission. Superceded by Sparks, two pages from here.
--------

This is still a rough sketch of a character. Her main flaw at the moment, from a normal superhero game perspective, is the lack of a movement power and only a single offensive power. I don't know if that's an issue in this game. Her other flaw is a lack of Deception. "Were you reading my mind?" "No-o?"

Spending 27 points on an intell-gathering, non-combat power is investing a lot in strategic superiority. :) And it is this part of the build that you should probably pay attention to. Especially when you combine the "Open Minded" and "Sees too damned much" effects. Secrets she can suss out. But can she survive to tell them?

Precog and Postcog are relegated to to an alt effect and the quirk on the main effect means she can only use them when she is alone.

-------

Destiny
(Hero; PL: 12; PP: 200/200)
STR: 0; AGL: 0; FGT: 0; AWE: 8
STA: 8; DEX: 6; INT: 0; PRE: 2/0
Dodge: 16/4, Parry: 16/4, Fortitude: 9, Toughness: 8, Will: 15

COMBAT
Initiative: +8; Close: +0; Ranged: +6
  • Grab: +0 (Special DC 10) Range: Close
  • Hand of Fate: Damage 4+6: +14 (DC 25) Range: 250/500/1000 ft.
  • Open Minded: Mind Reading 6: +6 (DC 16)
  • Throw: +6 (DC 15)
  • Unarmed: +0 (DC 15) Range: Close
SKILLS: Athletics +0; Deception +2; Expertise: Cuisines and Wines +10 (10r); Insight +20 (12r); Intimidation +2; Investigation +20 (20r); Perception +20 (12r); Persuasion +20 (18r); Stealth +0; Technology +9 (9r)
LANGUAGES: English
ADVANTAGES: Benefit, Wealth (well-off), Connected (free), Defensive Attack, Initiative based on Awareness, Luck 6, Well-informed (free)

POWERS
  • (House Rule) Dex-based Damage - Flaws: Device: Removable (No cost)
    • Dex Damge: Damage 6 - Extras: Increased Range (Ranged), Stacks with: Hand of Fate: Damage 4+6
  • (House Rule) PRE-based Advantages: Enhanced Presence 2 +2 PRE - Ability: Presence; Advantages: Connected, Well-informed; Flaws: Limited: House Rule (4 PP)
  • Anticipates all: Enhanced Trait 24 - Traits: Dodge +12, Parry +12 (24 PP)
  • Controls Fate: Luck Control 4 - Bestow Luck, Force a Re-roll, Negate Luck, Spend on Other (12 PP)
  • Fake Photophobia: Immunity 5 - Sensory Affliction Effects; Flaws: Limited: Vision Only (3 PP)
    Although immune to flash effects, she wears dark sunglasses all the time. She claims to have photophobia, light sensitivity.
  • Hand of Fate: Damage 4+6 - Extras: Accurate 4 (+8), Increased Range (Ranged), Subtle 2 (Undetectable), Variable Descriptor: Fate Intervenes (Close group - fate intervenes) (15 PP)
    This "attack" is her causing fate to intervene on her behalf. The target is hit by something in the environment in the most opportune location.
  • Iron Stomach: Immunity 2 - Disease, Poison; Flaws: Limited - Half Effect (1 PP)
  • Open Minded: Mind Reading 6 - Extras: Insidious, Precise, Reaction 3 (Reaction), Subtle 2 (Undetectable); Flaws: Limited to Surface Thoughts, Permanent, Quirk: Must be completely isolated to use Alternate Effects, (29 PP)
    If someone interrupts her while she is using an alternate effect, the main effect immediately kicks in and the alt effect is ended.
    • Alt: External Awareness: Remote Sensing 12 Range: 16 miles - Affects: 2 Types, inc. Visual - Sight and Sound; Extras: Subtle 2 (Looks normal); Flaws: Concentration (1 PP)
    • Alt: Senses: Senses 8 - Postcognition, Precognition (1 PP)
  • Sees Too Damned Much: Senses 16 - Analytical (Type): Vision, Counters All Concealment: Vision, Extended: Vision 2 (X100), Penetrates Concealment: Vision, Radius (Type): Vision, Ultravision (16 PP)
Eyes: Blue Hair: Brunette
Height: 5' 7" Weight:136 lb.

BACKGROUND
Kara Karsten is a reporter for Food and Wine magazine. She was reporting on the vinyards in the Okanagan valley when the event happened.
She had no idea most people had not survived nor that anything had happened to her until the thoughts started popping into her mind. Then luck seemed to be on her side. She once stopped a mugger when an unexpected pipe struck him in the head.
Every now and then she hears a disturbing thought. She's never positive of the source of the thought. But the thought is of a government agent observing her. She is not sure what they suspect about her but she guesses they are aware of her special abilities.

COMPLICATIONS
  • Agoraphobia: Large crowds flood her mind with the surface thoughts of everyone around her. She can actually handle all that noise but she avoids crowds because she thinks it will overwhelm her.
  • Motivation: Doing Good
  • Relationship: On again/off again, she can never remember the state of her relationship with Vance Stanpoole, chef, restauranteur, bon vivant. He does seem to always be underfoot though.
  • Responsibility: Working as a food critic means being places and having to spend time wining and dining people.
MOVEMENT AND STRENGTH DATA
Size: Normal size ~6 ft.
Walking: 2 miles/hour; 30 feet/round; Running: 4 miles/hour; 60 feet/round
Swimming: 1/2 mile/hour; 6 feet/round
Jumping: Running 10 ft.; Standing 5 ft.; Vertical 2 ft.; Standing Vertical 1 ft.
Throwing Distances: 200 lbs. up to 6 ft, 50 lbs. up to 30 ft, 12 lbs. up to 120 ft

TOTALS: Abilities: 44, Powers: 104, Advantages: 9, Skills: 27, Defenses: 16 -> 200

HOUSE RULES
  • Skill Points: 3 Skill Points per PP
  • Optional Rules: Choose Starting PP
  • Etc
Last edited by jmucchiello on Sun May 12, 2019 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Up to 176 on my build (No pyschic powers just yet), though now I should find some offensive abilities.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:04 am Up to 176 on my build (No pyschic powers just yet), though now I should find some offensive abilities.
I know that feeling.
Nareik123

Post by Nareik123 »

Additional ideas the the concept of the novelist I had envisioned was the idea that she was a recluse, quite, kept herself away from everything. Limited social circle, which was both a help and a hinderance for writing. When she recieved her powers, they changed her form to be golden and glowing, drawing attention to her in ways that she could not imagine. Now she has been placed into the forefront of the scene, without any intention.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Remember, characters are supposed to pass for normal humans when their powers are not in use. Part of the story is to be keeping your powers a secret.
Nareik123

Post by Nareik123 »

Okay, how about an alteration. Instead of a new form completely, how about one of the arms radiates with a golden glow of light. It allows access to her powers but she has to take steps to keep it hidden to avoid detection.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Bladewind wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:25 am Question, without meaning to ask for detailed review of the actual mechanic until the character is complete (still a lot to do..) what do you think of a character with this as it's power concept?

The idea is a little like Marvel's Sandman in that he can reduce to particles, with more control and less silicate based powers...
Abilities
Strength 4, Stamina 3, Agility 0, Dexterity 2, Fighting 5, Intellect 3, Awareness 3, Presence 1

Powers
More than Human: (118 points)
Int Skill Bonus: Enhanced Trait -1,
Beyond Human Needs: Immunity 12 [Life Support, Critical Hits],
Mask of a Thousand Faces: Morph 4,
Endless Possibilities: Summon 10 [Multiple Minions (2 minions),
Variable Type, Survival, Horde; Medium – Malleable Material (Sand, Mud, Clay, Etc), Sustained; Mental Link,]
Alt: Earthworks: Create 15 [Continuous]
Gaseous Form: Insubstantial 2
Alt: Fluid Form: Insubstantial 1 [Variable Descriptor 2 (Any dirt or non acidic liquid)]
Pseudopods: Extra Limbs 2 [Ambidextrous]
Tough: Protection 11

Advantages
Beginner's Luck
Jack-of-All-Trades,
Diehard,
Improvised Tools
Inventor,
Benefit 2 [Military Rank (Lt – Army Corps of Engineers)]

Skills
Acrobatics (+0),
Athletics (+4),
Deception 4 (+5),
Expertise: Science 4 (+7),
Expertise: Engineering 8 (+11),
Expertise (+3),
Insight 7 (+10),
Intimidation (+1),
Investigation (+3),
Perception (+3),
Persuasion 4 (+5),
Sleight of Hand (+2),
Stealth (+0),
Technology 10 (+13),
Treatment (+3), Vehicles (+2)

Offense
Initiative +0

Defense
Dodge 8,
Parry 8
Toughness 14 (Def Roll 0),
Fortitude 3,
Will 11

Power Points
Abilities 42 + Powers 118 + Advantages 7 + Skills 13 + Defenses 19 = Total 199

Design Notes
:arrow: Very rough WIP - thrown together to see how it might like. I'm thinking Army Engineer before the Event.
:arrow: The Enhanced Skill is for the bonus points, but the math/ formula is wrong
:arrow: Duplication may just get removed/ replaced, but for now I have a second edition extra on their (Survival) and the idea is that he can summon variants of himself as it were (I will stat them if this pans out the way I want it too...) based on the material he forms them from... Just short of elementals I should think
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Nareik123 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:18 pm Okay, how about an alteration. Instead of a new form completely, how about one of the arms radiates with a golden glow of light. It allows access to her powers but she has to take steps to keep it hidden to avoid detection.
Her form can change while using powers, but passive alterations in appearance that are always on isn't going to fly. It's part of the vision for the game, so I'm afraid I can't budge on that.

The idea is the characters can blend in without any special effort besides simply not using their powers..

Changes in appearance while using powers actively is just fine though. Adds a level of complication that they can't carelessly use their powers if they want to remain undetected.