Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment to 07/27)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment)

Post by EpicEclipse »

Thanks JM, Appreciate it.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

It always helps to have the list of submissions.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

I'm still plugging along, and kind of thankful for the long lead time. I've got a reasonable handle on the background, and a pretty good Pre-Event build.

Coming up with a reasonable power set and post-Event build is taking a little longer. It really helps to be able to take a few stabs at it, then leave it for a bit and come back.

Do hope the work thing sorts itself out for you though.
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

I am also working on my character. His luck was misstated (I reduced it to Luck 3 from 6). His homelessness is due to his Schizophrenia and inability to hold down a job. I am statting out his summon right now. I will update the post when I am done.
Fox in the Hole: GM
A Call to Adventure: Arcanum
Changeling - The Dreaming: Socket
Her Majesty's other secret service: Elizabeth Carolynn Erin Renwald
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

Updated: Seelie fay Summon added. Fixed a few errors.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

So, I had mentioned renaming your powers.

The fae do not exist in this setting, and the event that granted you powers won't have created a race of creatures for you to summon. The mechanical power setups you have are fine, but the descriptors are not. You need to change the flavor of your powers/summons.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Isn't the descriptor him essentially pulling figments of his imagination into the real world, via reality warping? They don't actually exist, and neither does fae magic. Yet when he uses his power to influence reality, for a short time it's almost as if they do.

It's like... Tangible mental projection.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

That works on some of the powers, but not all of them and the names of the powers have implications and factor into descriptors. He can't be a "chosen of the seelie" as the seelie don't exist in this game. He can't summon a fay creature as they don't exist. He can't have the protection of something that doesn't exist (Protection of the fair folk).

He can certainly have some kinds of enhancements, though an "elven grace" doesn't make sense as a figment, tangible or otherwise.

All I am suggesting is renaming the powers to something in line with the tangible figments he has said the powers are supposed to be, for example, instead of "summon fay creature", he does something like "summon figment" or "manifest delusion" since that's more specifically what he said his powers are.

Names are important, they have an effect in the game by the way of descriptors. (And again, a self-enhancement power doesn't make much sense the description of manifesting delusions into reality. Enhanced defenses can be describes with shields and the like makes sense, certainly, but improving his own fighting capabilities doesn't.)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Shawna Milhouse

Shawna couldn't keep herself from smiling as she watched them. It still shocked her that she, a troubled tomboy that could never sit down, to an adult constantly in the search of the right thing.. well, she had found it and it made her heart soar. Even the squabbling between Jamie (6, so close to 7) and Meghan (a very proud 14 year old) was amazing to her.

"Whats on your mind babe?"

Shawna smiled, turning to smile warmly towards Barbara. In so many ways, they were polar opposites. Shawna was a golden skinned blonde gym bunny, tight and toned, her body a temple to the quest for physical perfection. Barbara was so very wonderfully not, almost as around as she was tall, delicate pale features from too many hours at the office, a mouse. But between the two they had found a rare perfect happiness.

"Oh, just thinking about how lucky I am. How right all of this feels?" Oh how Barbara's shy smile was perfect. A soft white hand coming to rest on the back of one sunkissed.

They didn't need to exchange words, simply the touch was enough.

Shawna looked back at her life. It wasn't a great childhood if one looked too closely. She had been the kid that couldn't stop moving. Every tree was there to be climbed. Every park bench there to be jumped over. Every path to be run. Group sports were never her thing. Swimming, gymnastics, track and field, even wrestling, things that she could rely upon herself and herself only. She didn't have to trust. She didn't have to have that trust betrayed.

Shawna's constant motion had made her a horrible student. Sitting for more than a few minutes was torture, making her want to scream that made it even worse. It didn't help that anything written danced before her eyes, never staying still, never being in one place for too long. Even now, she was barely literate and it took her five, ten times longer to read something than just about anyone around her. Math wasn't any easier. She had often thought herself stupid that she wasn't getting things. It took a special kind of teacher to figure it out and get her through high school and even then it was painful. Coaches would just shrug and 'encourage' other teachers to just let the girl pass and spend more time on important things... like winning.

She had a few special workout buddies during that time. She couldn't really call them boy friends or girl friends. There wasn't much there beyond the physical. Watching a movie was an exercise in futility. Going out for a hamburger and fries didn't appeal. Sharing physical passion was about the limit, pushing her partner to exhaustion and past. They could never keep up. There wasn't that emotional connection there.

As Shawna got older, she was pressed to do Something with her life. Women's sports just weren't a good way to make a living. So she had studied to be a professional trainer and physical therapist. She had found a way to make it work. She was very good at that she did too. Leadership skills that she could never image started coming out. Every client was a puzzle on how their body worked and the challenge of it all thrilled her.

Barbara had started that way, another client. A woman who was at a desk all day at work and then went home to sit longer into the night. Thankfully, the kids were showing interest in physical activities and Barbara wanted to become more involved. It started out timid but they soon became friends, sharing meals, talking about life. Sitting still was becoming attractive to the once frantic woman. They were never going to be in perfect synchronicity but they had found a harmony, a melding that hopefully was going to last for the rest of their lives.

This weekend was a bit chance. They were going out to the Lake and camping for a week. It was a chance to find out how they worked not just as a family and Shawna but with the potential of living their lives together.

Shawna could only hope that things went well.

Strength -, Stamina -, Agility 12, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 12, Presence 0

Advantages
Agile Feint, Benefit, Athletics Based on Agility, Connected, Evasion 2, Hide in Plain Sight, Instant Up, Interpose, Investigation based on , Move-by Action, Prone Fighting, Redirect, Skill Mastery: -Choose-, Taunt, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+15), Athletics 3 (+15), Deception 10 (+10), Expertise (AWE): Investigation 3 (+15), Expertise (AWE): Survival 1 (+13), Expertise: Martial Arts 10 (+10), Insight 3 (+15), Perception 3 (+15), Persuasion 10 (+10), Treatment 8 (+8)

Powers
Flight: Flight 3 (Speed: 16 miles/hour, 250 feet/round) [6]

Immunity to Fortitude Effects [30]

Immunity: Immunity 2 (Critical Hits) [2]

Maintain Coherence [22]
. . Gaseous [20]
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 3 (Traits: Stealth +9 (+21)) [3]
. . . . Insubstantial: Insubstantial 3 (Energy; Subtle 2: looks normal) [17]
. . Singularity: Movement 1 (Dimensional: Choose Dimension 1: one dimension, 50 lbs., Advantages: Pocket realm 16; Portal) [20]
. . Solid: Protection 12 (+12 Toughness; Impervious [8 ranks only]) [20]

Making It Look Easy: Enhanced Trait 1 (Advantages: Skill Mastery; Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - AWE and AGI skills) [3]

Rapid Sensing: Quickness 9 (Perform routine tasks in -9 time ranks; Limited to One Task: Only for sensory effects) [3]

Regeneration: Regeneration 11 (1.1 per round) [12]
. . Immortality: Immortality 5 (Alternate; Return after 1 day) [12]

Sphere of Awareness: Senses 4 (Analytical: Touch, Danger Sense: Touch, Extended: Touch 1: x10, Ranged: Touch) [4]

Touch at Distance [38]
. . Hyperflight [35]
. . . . Flight: Flight 15+3 (Speed: 64000 miles/hour, 120 miles/round; Subtle: subtle; Concentration, Distracting) [9]
. . . . Flight: Flight 15+18 (Speed: 64000 miles/hour, 120 miles/round; Subtle: subtle; Concentration, Distracting, Limited: Outside of atmosphere) [6]
. . . . Senses: Senses 20 (Extended: Touch 10: x10bn, Rapid: Touch 10) [20]
. . Many Hands: Perception Area Move Object 11 (50 tons, Advantages: Improved Hold; Perception Area: DC 21 - Touch, Precise, Selective; Reduced Range: close) [35]
. . Multiple Effects [29]
. . . . Create: Create 12 (Volume: 4000 cft., DC 22; Reduced Range: close) [12]
. . . . Deflect: Perception Area Deflect 12 (Advantages: Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Weapon Bind, Weapon Break; Perception Area: DC 22 - touch; Reduced Range: close) [17]
. . Reaching Out: Move Object 12 (100 tons, Advantages: Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Improved Hold, Power Attack; Accurate 6: +12) [35]

Equipment
Pocket Realm (empty) 0

Offense
Initiative +12
Many Hands: Perception Area Move Object 11 (DC 21)
Reaching Out: Move Object 12, +12 (DC 22)

Complications
Accident- Lost in the Moment: An incredible amount of information is coming in, which can lead to getting lost in the moment.
Accident- Uncanny Valley: Shawna's form is entirely self generated and must be controlled. Every so often she forgets to blink, or have her heart beat.
Hatred: Western medicine and the pharma reliance
Motivation: Enlightenment: As the story progresses, Shawna will become more detached from humanity as the story progresses. Some things just won't be as important anymore.
Motivation: Responsibility: Passionate about helping people learn to love their own bodies and capabilities.
Pacifist: Violence is not the answer. It is better to use a gentle hand than a hard fist.
Relationship: The Springer family, clients
Semiliterate: The written page keeps dancing before Shawna's eyes. Not incapable of reading or doing mathematics, but it takes much longer.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 12, Will 12

Power Points
Abilities 28 + Powers 120 + Advantages 16 + Skills 18 (54 ranks) + Defenses 12 = 194
Last edited by Spectrum on Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

EpicEclipse wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:33 pm That works on some of the powers, but not all of them and the names of the powers have implications and factor into descriptors. He can't be a "chosen of the seelie" as the seelie don't exist in this game. He can't summon a fay creature as they don't exist. He can't have the protection of something that doesn't exist (Protection of the fair folk).

He can certainly have some kinds of enhancements, though an "elven grace" doesn't make sense as a figment, tangible or otherwise.

All I am suggesting is renaming the powers to something in line with the tangible figments he has said the powers are supposed to be, for example, instead of "summon fay creature", he does something like "summon figment" or "manifest delusion" since that's more specifically what he said his powers are.

Names are important, they have an effect in the game by the way of descriptors. (And again, a self-enhancement power doesn't make much sense the description of manifesting delusions into reality. Enhanced defenses can be describes with shields and the like makes sense, certainly, but improving his own fighting capabilities doesn't.)
I think I got the gist of what you were asking. I have written an alternate name in addition to his stated name for each power. The form is [Actual Name], "[His Name]'. The actual name describes the way his abilities work. Everything is now explained through a very liberal application of hard light. I changed him mechanically. Part of this is going to require I rework his summons stats as well. I will do this tomorrow. (I have to sleep so I can function tomorrow.)

Any other thoughts?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

It was fun playing around with the build. The biggest problem was that I needed a good way to spend a few more points. Akasha is a bit of a tackon that I'd be happy to replace with something more appropriate.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Could I ask anyone that has not, please put the pp costs for powers?

Some things looks like they might be extras or just 0 cost notes and without a notation there's no way for me to know.

Spectrum: the main issue I have with your build is the insubstantial 2 being permanent. The powers are meant to have the characters be impossible to "out" as having powers if the characters don't use them. With permanent, someone just has to throw something at her and she'll either super dodge (since you have reaction but not selective so it will happen whether she wills it not based on how I am reading it. That being said, the reaction needs to be defined as a triggering event. Known incoming attack or something) or it'll go through her.

Could use a little clarification on the overall theme of her powers. One one hand it seems like "nonviolence" but then she has an attack
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

The damage effect is a valid argument. I really had to debate on it. There is an extremely high chance that she would never use it against any kind of living/sentient being.

My understanding of atomic theory is a little iffy. The current models of the way that an atom looks has less to do with where the parts are at any particular time and more about the probability that the parts are going to be somewhere at any given time. Less 'solar system' and more 'cloud'.

I took on that with Shawna's new form. She's lost molecular coherence and is now existing in a state of free floating particles that are spread across an area. However, these parts are under her will and behave as she would expect them to. All of the telekinetic tricks and her senses, represent that her parts can exert force upon the world around her, a continual sense of where she all is at any time.

However, this also means that as she starts believing herself as human, those particles take on a human shape and are able to exert force to provide proper tactile feedback because that's the way that she believes herself to be. In a similar way, if her heartbeat is checked, it might be irregular, but it'll work as the way that she believes it to. Similar if she is cut open.

It might take a while before she starts forgetting what she's supposed to be. Or maybe she just starts caring less about being human.

I hope that fills in some of the concepts. I'm flexible on ways to twist the concept to be better!
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I have no problem with the having insubstantial 2, just having it be permanent. Continuous or sustained is okay.

Also, look into atomic compression, removing the space between atoms can greatly reduce the size of it, but not its mass. Might be something you want to add in as an alternate effect. :)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Oooh. I'll have to look into that!

I have also considered morph and leaning heavily away from it. With the power concept, it might be possible, but would also require a very different mindset for the character. Her mind still wants her to be her.. not someone else.