Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment to 07/27)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment to 07/27)

Post by jmucchiello »

Gee, why didn't I think of that?
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

The origin of all teamups all the way back to DnD. Meet up at a bar/tavern and go adventuring! RPGs have gone such a long way.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Somehow, Rick is more of an asshole then I expected he was gonna be. Definitly didn't think thr bar was going to be the criminal den that it apparently is either, I was imaging something a bit more legit.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

It was when he first got it, but an ex mafia guy who sees most crime as whatever gets his name around as owning a bar I figured it would attract a certain element. The arse hole bit I am still unsure about keeping. Might have Melissa jump in and tell him to stop being an arse. Most of my PC's go through a period of rapid change as I feel them out
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

It's understandable he's also probably freaking out. A guy like that gets angry that he's freaking out and ends up overcompensating to show, if only to himself, that he's not so weak as to be freaking out.

It's ironically no less obvious when someone like that is freaking out about something.

But I admit I'd assumed the bar was meant to be a more legit business in and of itself. It might play host to a "certain element" in the back rooms, but in the front function as an actual casual customer type establishment. It makes a lot more sense logically as well since even if the cops and standards commissions are bribed to not shut the place down, it's way too easy to surveil such a place for people who come and go from it, and operating the way you suggest would actually hurt his business as potential clients would not want to be seen coming and going from a known "den" like that.

They might not shut Rick down, but Rick is nowhere near connected enough to protect everyone who comes or goes from his bar if he's so blatant about its nature.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

He's not blatant about it so much as he turns a blind eye to it. Originally he bought the place to really run a bar, but got tired of it changing to using it as a way to get loan business now with basic bar functions. It's why he doesn't really keep it up that well.

As for the people getting pulled in by the cops, it's not like he advertises it as a lawless place or is well known. A casual person would come in, see how bad it was inside, and walk out. It's why he had to point out the criminal stuff. Even if they came in to drink and get a bite giving it a one star yelp review after, he wouldn't care. If cops watch the place they'll just see lowlifes going in and out for a drink. Higher profile people can enter via the alley.

He doesn't offer anyone protection. People get caught by the cops, it's on them.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

The way you have so far described the bar and its patrons, it is a lawless den of crime that serves drinks.

Open carry is not a thing in Canada (which you can be forgiven for not actually knowing, but handguns are not permitted out of the home unless you are specifically licensed, which only happens if you have the gun because of your job, ie: Cop), doing lines of coke "sneakily", but not so much as not to be noticed, pointedly making note of crooked city officials, and bribing/threatening a health and safety inspector is straight-up illegal.

Not to mention, you didn't actually give Rick any ranks in Wealth I am noticing. I'm willing to play along with all the money he "has" is tied up in various loans, then buying ranks of Wealth later as "calling in some payments", but running a bar the way you suggest is really just not feasible, nor logical. If he turns a blind eye to it, the very people who walk in, see how bad it is, and walk out are going to make reports themselves. It's not just a 1-star on Yelp he needs to worry about, it's people reporting to the RCMP about people carrying guns and doing drugs in the open.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Hmm didn't know the gun laws in Canada. As has been in the news far too much in the States lately, gun laws are much different. Gun laws and such is a topic I prefer not to delve too much into though.

I can edit out the open drug use and guns easy enough and focus on the under the table gambling and seedy elements hanging about.

I didn't take wealth intentionally as his money is tied up in the loans and propping up the bar as a cover. Its not like he can go down to the bank and take out enough money to buy a new house or ferrari on a whim. His loan business and bar would suffer quite a bit if he did that.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

If you cut out the more blatant law-breaking, just keeping it to seedy types, that would be a lot better. And yeah, I'd assumed his money was tied up in wealth, the main point I was trying to make is it wouldn't extend to such widespread bribery.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

The only bribery is health inspectors with the food/health stuff kept just well enough to easily pay off someone for not too much and to be a risk to the bar in terms of fires and such. Happened all the time as best I could tell at a place I used to live. Alot of the bars were C ratings and looking at them it was being generous. Good drinks there though if I tipped enough.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I'm also assuming that only working girls visit the bar was just colorfully trying to scare Kara and Lindy.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Partly. After seeing the clientele most women not of a shadier nature would likely leave.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I keep trying to get a post up for Rick, but can't seem to get a feel for him in the writing. The whole tough arse hole bit, just isn't inspiring me right now given some things going on with me. While I could probably get a post up, it would be mostly one dimensional at this point. So, I'll see if inspiration kicks in tomorrow and I get over this writers block.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

So Sort of backed myself into a corner with Rick making the loan sharking/tough guy bit his corner stone vs trying to just be a guy who runs a bar being redeemed by the love of a good woman. The criminal aspect is so engrained in the character, I can't see a way to work around it without betraying the character as created. So, I am going to have to back out.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

That is unfortunate. I think you can still keep the ex-mafia tough guy loan shark. Maybe just tone down the seediness of the bar. Have the crimibal stuff happen in a backroom or something so the bar looks legit. I understand the character comes across as an a-hole and that you would probably tone it down a bit as the game went on. It's early in the game so why don't you stick around? I think the character is a nice contrast to the rest.