Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment to 07/27)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment)

Post by EpicEclipse »

Switching an array slot is a free action that can be done once per turn. So only things that would prevent free actions would prevent it.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I think that I figured out the confusion. An alt effect can't be permanent but it can be continuous rather than having to be sustained.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Here is my submission. Comments and suggestions are welcome. The background is a bit ling. I get carried away sometimes.

Lindy Tommasi - PL 12
Heroic identity: Photon

Abilities:
Strength 1, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 4, Fighting 4, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages:
Close Attack 4, Connected (Free w/1 rank of Presence), Eidetic Memory, Equipment 1, Evasion 2, Improvised Tools, Languages 2, Ranged Attack 7, Well-informed

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+7), Expertise: Business 6 (+7), Expertise: Military 3 (+4), Expertise: Photography 9 (+10), Insight 6 (+7), Investigation 6 (+7), Perception 9 (+10), Persuasion 6 (+7), Technology 3 (+4) (Free w/1 rank of Intellect), Treatment 3 (+4)

Powers:
Cloaking: Concealment 2 (Sense - Sight) 4pp
Enhanced Vision: Senses 2 (Low-light Vision, Ultravision) 2pp
Flight: Flight 10 (Speed: 2000 miles/hour, 4 miles/round) 20pp
AE: Space Flight: Movement 1 (Alternate; Space Travel 1: within solar system) 1pp
Laser Blast: Damage 12 (DC 27; Increased Range: ranged, Penetrating 12, Precise) 37pp
AE: Blinding Light: Cumulative Affliction 12 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Will, DC 22; Cumulative, Increased Range: ranged; Limited: One sense) 1pp
AE: Deflect: Deflect 12 (Alternate; Limited: Light, Radiation, or Lightning Energy attacks only) 1pp
AE: Healing Power of the Sun: Regeneration 10 (Persistent, Requires Source-Sunlight, 1 per round) 1pp
AE: Light Mastery: Environment 8 (Alternate; Light (Bright), Visibility (-5), Radius: 0.5 miles) 1pp
AE: Solid Light Objects: Create 12 (Alternate; Volume: 4000 cft., DC 22; Impervious) 1pp
AE: Solid Light Restraints: Progressive Affliction 12 (Alternate; 1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, 3rd degree: Paralyzed, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 22; Progressive) 1pp
Heroic Costume Change: Feature 1 (Solid light costume, quick change)
More than Human: Immunity 10 (Life Support) 10pp
Photographic Vision: Senses 2 (Extended: Telephoto Vision 2: x100) 2pp
Photonic Force Field: Protection 8 (+8 Toughness; Sustained) 8pp

Equipment:
Camera, Cell Phone (Smartphone), Computer, Multi-tool

Offense:
Initiative +2
Blinding Light: Cumulative Affliction 12, +11 (DC Will 22)
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 11)
Laser Blast: Damage 12, +11 (DC 27)
Solid Light Restraints: Progressive Affliction 12, +8 (DC Fort 22)
Throw, +11 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 16)

Complications:
Identity:
Lindy needs to keep the knowledge of her abilities a secret to protect the ones she loves, especially her daughter Emily.

Motivation: Responsibility
Lindy is not thrilled with having these abilities but feels they were given to her by God as a reward for her hard work and suffering. It is because of that she feels if she is going to use these abilities, it should be to help others.

Relationship:
Lindy has a teenage daughter named Emily.
Ex-husband Derek Eccles.
Parents: Kevin and Linda Tommasi.

Languages:
English, French, Spanish

Defense:
Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 12, Toughness 12, Will 11

Power Points:
Abilities 36 + Powers 91 + Advantages 20 + Skills 19 (57 ranks) + Defenses 36 = 202

Validation: Too many PP spent (202, max 200)
Note: Connected Advantage is free with 1 rank of Presence.
1 PP of skills (Technology) is free with 1 rank of Intellect.

Background:
Lindy grew up in a typical middle class family in Connecticut along with her sister Allison and brother Wilbur. Her father worked as a machinist and was a huge aviation geek while her mother worked as a server at a local restaurant. Lindy was an average student with little interest in ‘boring’ subjects like math, literature, science, social sciences, and all that nonsense. She had a strong interest in creative subjects such as various types of art, cooking, and even languages. She found French and Spanish to be very interesting due to them being two of the romance languages. After graduation, and with little interest in getting a real job, her parents offered her a choice. She could join the military or move out. She looked into moving out and living with friends but they all required her to have a job and help pay for food, rent, and utilities. Lindy crossed off that option so she took a chance on the military.
Lindy joined the Army with the lure of being trained as a journalist. After basic training, she was told they did not have any openings in that field. She was now stuck in the Army for the next 4 years because of the stupid contract she had signed. Lindy decided to make the best of it and trained as a supply clerk. Surprisingly, the job took a lot of creativity to get the items from one location to another.
During her time in the Army, Lindy met a man named Derek Eccles. He was a munitions clerk. The two quickly became friends and soon started dating. After Lindy’s four years were up and she was discharged, the two were married. Not long after that, Lindy became pregnant.
It was difficult being married to Derek as he was transferred periodically to a different posting. It was even worse when he was sent on a tour overseas to the Middle East. After several years of marriage, their relationship started to sour. One day, Derek announced he had met someone else, that he was not in love with Lindy anymore, and wanted a divorce. Lindy was devastated. Initially, she took Emily and went to live with her parents. She realized that was not a long term solution so she took a job at a local warehouse as a supply and inventory clerk. It paid enough to support Lindy and Emily and to pay her parents some rent and grocery money.
Her parents surprised Lindy one day with a gift of a DSLR camera and tuition for some photography instructions. Lindy did very well, being praised for her sense of composition and style. Lindy was surprised at the amount of technical aspects there were to photography. She always thought you just aimed and pushed the button. She was learning about how different types of light affect the colors and mood in the photo, how the direction of the light affects the mood by creating harsh shadows or washed out features, and much more. Lindy soon realized that portrait photography, while interesting, was not her best subject. She was drawn to macro, nature, and landscape photography. At the urging of her instructor, she entered some of her photos in contests and won some prizes. She even won the opportunity to go on a photowalk with a professional photographer.
As Lindy’s skills grew, she spent more and more time developing a photography business. She sold photographs at local craft and art festivals; she sold some on consignment at local restaurants and coffee shops, and she submitted some for publication to various online and published magazines. In time, she was able to quit her full time job and earn enough money from her photography business to support herself and Emily. Lindy bought her own house and set up a studio in a spare room.
Lindy was recently hired by a food and wine magazine for an assignment in the Okanagan region in Canada to photograph some vineyards there to accompany a story they were doing. Lindy stopped to visit her daughter Emily at the University of Washington before continuing on to her assignment. Little did she know that this assignment would change her life dramatically.
Last edited by CaptainChaos on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Did you read my background (Spark)?

Kara Karsten is a reporter for Food and Wine magazine. She was reporting on the vinyards in the Okanagan valley when the event happened.

Kara is a food critic and writer for the magazine. I guess we work together?
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I was thinking they are just meeting on this trip as Lindy is a freelance photographer. It is possible they may have worked together previously though on another story. I left it a bit vague in case we both don't get selected for the game. I will change it to a non-specific magazine.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I don't care if we know each other already. I just wanted to know if you knew my background.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

jmuccheiello- I'm pretty interested in hearing more about Spark. I think that there's a great start but not much depth so far. :)
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Yea, I need to get back in that headspace. She's a month old and I often forget I created her. :)
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

I also hope I get chosen. I am getting better at making characters though. I have made fifteen or so at this point in the last three months.
Fox in the Hole: GM
A Call to Adventure: Arcanum
Changeling - The Dreaming: Socket
Her Majesty's other secret service: Elizabeth Carolynn Erin Renwald
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Looks like about 7 or 8 submissions at most, so you have a good chance.

I did a quick check and the submissions so far are:

Jack of All by Doctor Malsyn. Mentalist.
Lloyd Lee Tremblay by supernaturalist. Paragon.
Spark by jmucchiello. Electricity Controler.
"Illusionist" by nowhereman2.
Shawna Millhouse by Spectrum. Form changer.
Valiant by pathfinderq1. Telekinetic.
Rick Jones by mrdent12. Undeadish Fear Controller.
Lindy Tommasi aka Nova by CaptainChaos. Comic Powered.
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

mrdent12 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:52 am Looks like about 7 or 8 submissions at most, so you have a good chance.

I did a quick check and the submissions so far are:

Jack of All by Doctor Malsyn. Mentalist.
Lloyd Lee Tremblay by supernaturalist. Paragon.
Spark by jmucchiello. Electricity Controler.
"Illusionist" by nowhereman2.
Shawna Millhouse by Spectrum. Form changer.
Valiant by pathfinderq1. Telekinetic.
Rick Jones by mrdent12. Undeadish Fear Controller.
Lindy Tommasi aka Nova by CaptainChaos. Comic Powered.
Just thought I would point out my character is actually called "Sir Robert of Oakwook Park" or simply Sir Robert.
Fox in the Hole: GM
A Call to Adventure: Arcanum
Changeling - The Dreaming: Socket
Her Majesty's other secret service: Elizabeth Carolynn Erin Renwald
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Makes sense. Better than illusionist. The first few names I copied from the first post and it still has illusionist.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I tweaked Shawna a little further. I've been having some really out there ideas on her the last couple of days and added them. They can just as easily be removed. Still tons of leftover points.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I've beefed up Spark's background. She has a hometown, a family, etc.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I had my reservations on the long lead time until the game kicks off, but it seems to be helping make the submissions more interesting.