[The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Hoid

Re: [The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

Post by Hoid »

Ang continued, |-These ‘depths’ are seven in number. The 1st depth is where you and I both are now. The third depth is where most Icons dwell. The sixth depth is given over to the Icongods who act as the souls of skynodes. Depth seven is...unknowable. It was accessible only by the one who ruled over man, the god-in-the-shell. From there, vast changes could be made. It is not clear whether depth seven even exists in any meaningful form, anymore.

|-I will teach you how to dive. It will be very strange, to you. Frightening, perhaps. But I am your psychopomp, and your soul is safe in my care.-|
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

A subtle nod of understanding was given when Ang mentioned that Mesh level one is what they were currently integrating at. Gilgamesh had mentioned that, and said that other Mesh levels were inaccessible. Perhaps, in part, because the route to deeper depths had to be rebuilt by Icons after Giggamesh's routines were established. He seemed trapped in what remained of the old ways.

At the mention of powerful Icons acting as souls for skynodes, Imperious paid special attention. Shi'Halal had learned that the skynode above the Red Gears Brotherhood headquarters was active, but but actively supporting the Datasphere. He theorized the problem was on the skynode's end. Was the Icon inhabitting doing this intentionally, or was it wounded in some way?

It is when Ang stated that he was going to teach him how to dive to a deeper Mesh level that Imperious finally spoke up. His tone wasn't eager, but primed. Ready to act, though with thought and care. Not impetuously.

"What needs to be done? Is there a means by which I should prepare myself?"
OOC wrote:
HP: 1
Conditions: Healthy.
Encephalon: Activated
Communion Array: Immunity to Mental Effects
Blast "Arsenal" Dynamic Array: Enhanced Strength 30 and Strike 3 [Feats: Might (+1 pp), Variable Descriptor "Technological Weaponry" 2 (+2 pp)]
Flight "Utility" Dynamic Array: Flight 15
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

|-Your Encephalon already has the sutras and mudras needed to dive. What you must do...is calm your mind. Be still in your heart. Then, imagine yourself falling into a shallow pool of clean water.-|
OOC:
Ok, as long as you’re near an Icon, it can transit you without the need of a power. If, however, you want independen5 access, purchase Super-Movement 1 (dimensional 1 [Datasphere and Godmesh]; Flaws: Must Leave Physical Body Behind), for a measly 1pp.

Now...make a Concentrate check!
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Be calm. Be still. The first mistake Lucas made was thinking about it. He thought about the process he would undertake to calm himself. Deep breath. In. Then out. He focused his thoughts, rather than letting them go. Lucas' had so many things he was thinking about and processing in the background. Plans. Strategic and political maneuvers. Intrigues. He couldn't let them go and create a blank meditative space. This did not even account for his 'heart'. On the surface he was still and stoic. Beneath that there was drive and passion. Endless motivation to do and act.
OOC wrote:Lucas doesn't have any ranks in Concentration. Untrained Concentration: 1D20+3 = [3]+3 = 6

This actually plays into Imperious' character. His thoughts are rarely still.

Blast "Arsenal" Dynamic Array: Enhanced Strength 30 and Strike 3 [Feats: Might (+1 pp), Variable Descriptor "Technological Weaponry" 2 (+2 pp)]
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Ang seemed unperturbed. |-I see calm is not easy, for you. Be at peace. I will stand guard over you. Focus. Steady yourself. Take your time.-|
OOC:
Make another Concentrate check, this time at an additional +2.
|-Otherwise-| Ang intones somberly, |-I will have to drag you down, and that is pleasurable for neither of us.-|
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Part of the trouble Lucas was having was ... he knew the terminology Ang was using. He knew, at least on a basic level, the dream travel some ancient cultures believed in. The process he was going through felt a lot like those. The problem with this was, in those culture's beliefs, the traveler left their body to travel the spirit world. That meant leaving oneself vulnerable. Rustdeity was a world of constant danger. Vulnerability was death. Even if you trusted someone to watch over you while you were vulnerable, that didn't mean they had the ability to protect you from threats. For Lucas, that was a monumental leap of faith. The only person he trusted that way was Shi'Halal and she was a physical part of him.

There was no outward response from Imperious as Ang reassured him that the Icon would watch over him while he dived into the next Mesh level. He remained silent, and focused on ordering his mind. That, he could do. Focus his thought to a purpose. Imagining the waters of the Datasphere he mentally leaned forwarded and allowed himself to descend into it ...
OOC wrote:Here is the Concentration check with a +2 Circumstance bonus: Concentration: 1D20+5 = [16]+5 = 21

Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Before Imperious falls, time seems to stop, and Lucas, unarmoted, finds himself floating naked in a great field of weightless darkness. A gigantic mechanical face looms out of the darkness. It speaks, its voice like thunder: DIMENSIOMAL BREACH IN PROGRESS. SEVERANCE OF MEMETIC CORE DETECTED. THE CORPOREAL MUST BE PROTECTED, AS PER SOLAR LION PROTOCOL OMEGA. ACTIVATING DIMENSIONAL ANCHORS. PHYSICAL TRANSFERENCE WILL OCCUR. REBOOTING USER IN 3...2...1...

When Imperious reawakens, he’s back in his armor, and his surroundings have greatly changed. Icon roam to and fro, and buildings existed where none existed before. But...with the exception of Imperious himself, everything, including Ang, still looked digital. Imperious somehow knows his armor’s subroutines activated some long-dormant function to prevent the separation of mind from body.

Ang stood slack jawed o. Awe. |-You...are here physically! How is that even possible?
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Lucas was not expecting ... that. Naked in the dark he look around, then fixes on the giant face. Curious and processing the experience. Making sure he remembered it, knew the words it said. This felt important. Then he was somewhere else. For a moment he was still and did not react to outside stimuli in this new reality. He saw, heard, and felt, but was reflecting inwardly over what just happened. Shi'Halal had, on some kind of instinct built into her, stepped in to protect him from splitting into two halves.

"What is Solar Lion Protocol Omega?"

... Lucas inquired of Shi'Halal without allowing the words to pass beyond the interior of the armor. It was perhaps thirty seconds to a minute before Imperious looked to Ang and finally responded to him.

"Shi'Halal, my armor, felt it unwise for my mind and body to separate. I agree with her. Though we appreciate your willingness to watch over us."

Pulling his emerald lense covered eyes away from Ang Imperious began to inspect the digital realm he and Shi'Halal now found themselves in. He'd never seen digital architecture before. Nor so many Icons in one place. Lifting his left hand Imperious compared the contrast between himself and the Datasphere denizens. Then he directed his attention to Ang as he spoke.

"Is this Mesh level two?"
OOC wrote:
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Shai’Halal asks, ”I am not designed to make wild guesses. You will have to provide me with more details. I am as surprised as you are that we make a physical transition.”

Ang nods. |-It is, indeed. Things...may be complicated, now. I am unsure how to proceed, with you being here bodily. Only the god-in-the-shell could do this thing, and he has not spoken since the Catastrophe.-|
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

So he was right. Shi'Halal acted instinctively, and not consciously, to facility a bodily transfer to the Datasphere. Further, she had no knowledge of what he had experienced. Rather than secret the knowledge away, he shared it with his armor-companion.

"Just as the intent to transition to the Datasphere's second mesh level began ... time stopped for me. Then I was naked, floating in darkness. The face of a machine-being appeared. It was large and it's voice booming. It spoke of a dimensional breach. A memetic core being severed. It said that the corporeal must be protected as per Solar Lion Protocol Omega. Then it stated that dimensional anchors were being activated and physical transfer would occur."

While Lucas spoke with Shi'Halal in private Ang would find Imperious falling into a period of contemplative silence. After pausing to switch conversation partners Imperious spoke aloud, attempting to shore up the firewalls uncertainty.

"What you tried to show me allowed Shi'Halal and I to learn something about ourselves. I am still ignorant of much. How does my being present physically impact the way you would teach your lessons?"
OOC wrote:
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Shai’Halal makes a ‘hmmm’ sound. ”I am not sure what y—-

“Lucas, it appears a new subroutine has appeared in my datafiles. The files are listed ‘Designate-A’ through to ‘Designate-Z’ in the oldest known records of the Imperial language, when it was called by a different name. Each category is further subdivided into ‘A0, A1, A2’, and so on, with a connector to a completely separate list of files titled ‘Per1’ through to ‘Per6’. Lucas, I had no idea any of this even existed. You have my profound thanks for unlocking this secret.

“Each file has a ‘Dimensional Anchor’ associated with it. The Dimensional Anchor that just fired is catalogued as ‘Designate-V1’. I can activate further such Anchors. I am not sure what will happen, however, if I do.”

Ang, unaware of this conversation betwixt Imperious and Shai’Halal, says, |-Mesh travel requires astral sojourning. I am unsure how biology directly interacts with ANY of this, as only one person before could even do it. Lore concerning the god-in-the-shell is virtually nonexistent, outside of superstition and folktale. Many of the things I could teach you may no longer be relevant. Shall we continue anyways, or do you wish to resurface?-|
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

It was quite the revelation that Shi'Hala presented. Thinking on it, even superficially, Lucas realized it was grand in scope. Though he wasn't sure what to do that this new knowledge at present. It presented opportunity for exploration and self discover, but also unknown dangers ... and looking into other dimensional anchor they would not have a guide to prepare them as they did now.

"I am pleased this experience has allowed you to learn something about yourself."

... Lucas responded privately to his armor-companion after having thought about what they had just learned. A moment later he was speaking to Ang again, though the Icon may note his prolonged pause. Something excusable as introspection or considering the new frontier he and Ang were presented with.

"We should continue, but we should be mindful of the difference my physical presence represents. Travel itself may not be an obstacle for me, but understanding is another matter. It is important for me to understand the Datasphere and the people that populate it. I do not know the geography, the culture, or the digital and metaphysical laws that make up this world."
OOC wrote:
HP: 2
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Ang nods sagely. |-Very well.

|-We are on Mesh depth two, the shallowest of the waters. It is a transitional place, for Icons, not a home. Still, outlying facilities have been written, and hermits dwell within handmade code. Nothing here—-save for you—-has physicality. The mind reigns supreme. The techniques I could have taught would be entirely mental in nature; I am not sure such a thing is necessary, anymore.

|-The roads of light connect skynode to skynode, but, as I have said, many roads were burnt or turned into illegible code-garble. You can see them only by focusing on them. Otherwise, they will remain obscured from your vision.

|-There are also roads of shadow, but who uses them is unclear. Many suggest the theory you must be on depth seven to even make use of them, though they are visible from any and every depths.-|
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"What is the purpose of these mental techniques?"

As he asked the question Imperious reached out with one hand and pressed his palm against a nearby building. Test it's solidity and his impact on it. Though he was mindful to limit the amount of pressure he applied. He didn't want to cause structural damage. After this bit of experimentation Imperious looked back to Ang so that the Icon knew he was paying attention. Though at the mention of needing to focus to see the roads of light connecting skynodes, he made an effort to do just that: look for the roads of light described to him by Ang, and earlier by Mickey when she learned about Gold Vision.

So as not to be rude and interrupt Ang, he waited for the minotaur to pause in speech before speaking to his Encephalon.

"Encephalon, are you able to access Goldvision?"

After attempting to see the roads through the method Mickey talked about Imperious turns his attention back to Ang. The talk of shadow roads was familiar as well.

"A companion of mine saw Xeno Icons enter a skynode and descend further through the Shadow. She learned from another source that skynodes, or perhaps the Icon's that administrate over them, use the Shadow."
OOC wrote:
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

To Imperious’ first question, Ang answers, saying, |-To affect Icons and other objects located within the waters. Mental visualization is normally required as most swimmers come here in mind only.-|

Imperious puts his weight on the structure and the sensation he receives is bewildering. The structure had more the impression of solidity, but Imperious was certain with enough force he could ooze through the wall leaving no trace of his passage.

When he asks for Goldvision, the Encephalon says nothing and instead hums to light. All around Imperious, a tangled web of thread-thin lines of scintillating golden light emerge, as if from some hidden place. They are a tortured mess that possess unnatural bends, abrupt stops and intermittent transmission.

To the second comment, Ang chuckles. |-Los umbros-| Ang said. |-Not a phrase I have heard in long, long time.-| He paused, as if gathering his thoughts, then said, |-Xeno Icons do exist, yes. Some from alien citizenry of the Terran association, others have infiltrated from beyond the reach of human influence. They are strange, fey things, and can not be easily communicated with.-|