[The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

Post by Sakuro »

Overwrite Arcaninaut DNA. Imperious thought on that. From what he knew Mr. Mystery was an engineered xenogen hybrid. Did Mr. Mystery seek to reserve what had happened to him? That would imply that the machine that created Arcaninauts, and Arcaninauts themselves, had a xenogen element to them. A complex web of possabilities. Worth considering, but nothing that would help in this moment, and nothing he could prove or do more an estimate on in any case. After a eriod of musing over the matter he went on.

"It is good you distanced yourself from him. Do you have any idea why he would want the bodies of Tempestineers, and their symbiotes? After killing a group, he took their bodies."
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

“Simple: just to examine them. Tempest uses genegineering techniques unknown even to my kind. Their unique living equipment is cultured from each Tempestineer’s own genes. Examining such things would surely be beneficial to cultivating his strain he seeks to brew.”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"I suspected as much."

Imperious said flatly. There wasn't more to say on that topic. His suspicious had been seconded by another party that knew Mr. Mystery better than he did. Without linger, he moved on. So he maneuvered the subject back around to the bioweapon, as the Enginseer was unable or unwilling to offer up anything that may assist in the apprehension of Mr. Mystery. He began slowly, speaking thoughtfully on the matter. As though he were thinking through something even as he spoke.

"When I mentioned the bioweapon … you showed some sign of recognition. Were you and Mr. Mystery collaborating on such a thing that could have resulted in this, even if your goal was not a weapon? Familiarity with it could help expedite the process of sorting out the situation Sun's Flower and her companion are in."
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The brain answered but slowly, saying, “I...I had willingly overlooked many of his...faults...due to my appreciation for his dreamer mentality, but... He is a xenohybrid. I am his ‘mother’, so to speak. I, in a sense, gave ‘birth’ to him.

“You see, after a battle with an Arcaninaut almost seven decades ago left me paralyzed and horrifyingly disfigured, I opted for a bodiless existence—-it certainly took away the constant agony that was my ruined physicality. The operation was performed by a xenogen scientist who is now dead. He...saved me from damnation, and I wished to honor that. Though I have no body, I was able to hybridize my DNA code with his...resulting in the artificial gestation and birth of Mr. Mystery.

“He’s my son, Imperious. Though not mine in a traditional sense, I still love him. That is why I exiled him, rather than destroying him.”

She paused but a moment. “His real name is Cord caCor, the name of his ‘father’.”
Last edited by Hoid on Mon May 27, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

There was a moment of still silence form Imperious. The exact nature of this woman's relationship to Mr. Mystery was not expect. Though he should have considred it.

"I see."

… came his initial response. Slow and thoughtful. Processing what the Enginseer has said. Then his head tilted down and back up in a singular nod. An acknowledgement of understanding.

"Your son Cord is a danger to others and, from what you have told me, to himself as well."

Imperious made a point of using Mr. Mystery's given name. To humanize and demystify him. To show that he understood this was a person, not just an enigmatic antagonist.

"Understand, it is not my goal to kill Cord. If I have to, I will, but my aim is primarily to prevent him from doing harm."

There was a brief pause for the straightforward explanation could be weighed by the woman. Then he went on.

"If Cord can be contained long term so that any part of him that wants to reform is given that oppertunity and if he can be given the care his affliction needs … I would like that for him. This has the best chance of success with your help."

With that last statement Imperious raised his right hand and gestured towards the brain in it's chemical bath.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

“...my thanks. I did not expect to feel maternal instincts after my ascent to disembodiment, yet I do.”

From the wall extended a folded robotic arm, in its pinchers was a small datacube; it was proffered to Imperious. “This contains Cord’s research...at least, until I sent him out and away. He has undoubtably progressed further than what is recorded, here.

“Cord’s ‘father’ was a hyda. Hyda were known for their low-tier psychic talents. It’s from his ‘father’ inherited his abilities. Unfortunately, his human DNA renders him unable to fully control his gift. Add in his brain-sickness, and he becomes quite dangerous.”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The arm presented the cube and Imperious looked to it. He did not take the object right away. Instead he allowed Shi'Halal to scan it for threat ... including hostile computer programs. Once assured the item and it's contents were not a danger to himself and his armor Imperious took the cube and slit it into a compartment that formed in his armor, then sealed over once stowed away.

"This is appreciated."

There was a pause, and now it was Imperious' turn to wrestle with something. Though he did not take as long as the Enginseer had to share … because he knew his limitations and knew he needed advice in overcoming it.

"I have no positive experience dealing with brain-sick people. In honesty, I am uncertain how to handle such a person. Do you have any suggestions for calming Cord, or drawing out one of his more stable personalities?"

Imperious waited a spell. Listened to the woman's answer … then he backtracked a bit.

"... you also mention Cord's psychic abilities. Those inherited from his Hyda ancestry. What of the other abilities he has developed? Or … did he not demonstrate anything beyond low level psychic abilities when he was with you?"
OOC wrote:If you would like me to make any checks for Shi'Halal scanning the cube, let me know. Imperious also has Danger Sense.

While Imperious is talking with the Enginseer, Shi'Halal will be going through the research data with Quickness 15. Here is a Life Sciences check to gleam useful information from it: Going through data cube: 1d20+12 27
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

OOC:
The cube has no traps or malicious programming, in it. No roll needed.
As Shi’Halak scans the datacube, what she finds is both interesting as well as disturbing: Mr. Mystery was attempting to create a powers-nullifier, as a first step towards curing Arcaninauts. He’d progressed far enough before his mother cast him out that he could suppress the powers of low-tier psychics such as Bastion’s sole mutant inhabitant (Mr. Ashcroft).
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The brain in a jar went on, saying, “Several of his personalities are skilled combatants; one taught himself demolitions. Each personality has powers of its own, though ALL are psychic in nature:

“Freak is the worst of the lot, being unadulterated hatred. He’s a telekinetic and a damn strong one, at that! He’s good at a sport the ancients called kickboxing.

“Jenny is a female personality given to motherly instincts. ‘She’ regards the other personalities as ‘her children’ and is very protective of them. Her power is biokinetic healing.

“Little Cord, a childlike personality, is merely an empath. Little Cord is harmless. If you’re lucky, Little Cord will be at the forefront.

“Mr. Mystery is not a callsign, it’s what an angry, domineering personality calls itself. Mr. Mystery is a telepath extremely skilled at memory-editing.

“And Worm? Worm is a miserable personality, full of self-destructive tendencies and little in the way of self-preservation instinct. He’s a pyrokinetic and isn’t afraid to injure himself to get at others. He can build bombs, too.”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Imperious didn't say anything. He just listened to her. Then he reminated on what the woman had told him. There seemed to be two personalities that Cord's mother knew about that one could potentially reason with. Jenny, however, may prove resistant if they precieved harm harm had been inflicted on the others. There was also at least one more that had not been mentioned. Imperious noted this as well.

Eventually he muted external audio and asked Shi'Halal to upload the sensor data they had gathered from the 'poison' and the 'blue bubbling fluid' they had discovered at the Tempestineer complex to the data cube that the Enginseer had given them. Once done he the compartment the cube had been stored it opened and Imperious took it out.

"At the Tempestineer facility I found two exotic substances. One I believe may be the progression of Cord's work on his nullifier. The other I am less certain about. It has mutagenic properties and may be an altered form of the bio-agent produced by the Arcaninaut called Kaiju. Here is the information I was able to gather on them. Would you mind taking a look?"

At this he held the data cube out towards the mechanical limb that had originally gave him the data storage device.

"I considered using a dose of Cord's own nullifier to help subdue him. However, I want to make certain it would do no unexpected harm beyond negating his abilities. I would appreciate any insight you can share concerning both substances however."
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The cybermagus examines the data carefully. The speakers emit a long, frustrated sigh. “As to this first substance, it is is our work, yes. It’s further along than I thought. It could kill Tempestineer Organisms...but their immune systems would have to be suppressed somehow or diminished in some capacity or fashion.”

She hummed for a brief moment. “Your abilities seem purely technological in origin. You should be immune to this particular substance.”

She continued, saying, “The second chemical is much stranger: part carcinogen, part genetic retooling. It’s...like nothing I have seen before. I have seen much, so this is quite a novelty, to me. I’ll need more time to examine it. Much more time, in fact.”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"Sun's Flower mentioned that it has some similarities to a bio-agent present in the Arcaninaut Kaiju."

Imperious offered up the tid bit of information, or reminder, after she commented on the second substance. There was a pause then as he looked around the cramped little room for a spell, before settling on the brain once more.

"Do you have a means of long range communication at your disposal? The Tempestineers have a system in place at the contaminated facility. It may be helpful for you to coordinate with them."

… and if she was open to the idea, Imperious provided her with the frequency channel he had used while in contact with Sun's Flower. The Tempestineers had change their own channels, but he still knew what the complex's communication system was operating at.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

“If I could,” she said, “I would. The nearest skynode burnt up a year ago. I have access to neither the Godmesh OR the Datasphere. Which is for the best. Hostile Icons are in the nearby systems...”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The mentions of a burnt out skynode acaused Imperious to roll his eyes upwards without moving his head. As though to look up at the sky beyond the walls and water that acted as barriers around this place. After the brief glance he returned his eyes to the brain in it's jar.

"I will check in with you after a few days then."

As if signaling the conclusion of their meeting he turn and stepped towards the door. There he paused a second, and reassured the woman he had not forgotten her request.

"The parasites first though."
OOC wrote:Unless the Enginseer would like to talk some more, Imperious is going to depart and see about collecting those xenogen parasites he saw munhing of Renner's guts.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

When Imperious returns to the location of his battle with the strange, multi-bodied Arcaninaut, he sees that tech scavengers’ve been through the area. He knows they’re not raiders because he sees two of them, down in the crude, being consumed by the very same parasites he’d cone to collect. They’d wielded only simple firearms, had no patchwork armor and boasted no tribal tattoos. Biotwists, both of them, too.

Now paying attention to these creatures, they were dog-sized. Crude coated them like a second skin, and both ends of their tubular bodies had orifices that could consume food. They savaged their hour-or-more-dead meals, wriggling l8ke earthworms in the black blood of the deep.