[The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

Post by Sakuro »

Orbit? Something in the sky, higher than the Skynodes, had survived the Catastrophe then. Imperious mused on that jut before Mickey's voice intjerected into his line of thought. TUrning his head he fixed the emerald lenses of Shi'Halal's faceplate on the woman.

"I am speaking with Shi'halal, my armor."

Raising a hand he motions to his chest and Shi'halal's black breastplate which was speckles with what looked like stars on the backdrop of the void of space. An clear night's sky.

"She tells me your brainnet is receiving a very old message that is interfering with it's functionality."

The hand that had been at chest height then rose, and he pointed tot he ceiling. A second later his head tilted back ad he looked upwards. Peering past the ceiling itself, to the sky, and beyond.

"It is coming from far above us."
OOC wrote:Imperious is going to start using Quickness and various Vision enhancements (Invravision might be helpful in detecting heat from an energy source) to search for the physical origin of the signal. I'm guessing it is a satellite.

Search: 1d20+10 30 That is a natural 20.
HP: 2
Conditions: Fatigued
Communion Array: Power Stunted Datalink 20
Blast "Arsenal" Dynamic Array: Enhanced Strength 30 and Strike 3 [Feats: Might, Variable Descriptor "Technological Weaponry" 2]
Flight "Utility" Dynamic Array: Normal Vision Extended x5 ; X-Ray Vision Extended x4 ; Flaw: Limited "cannot penetrate jade"], Infravision Extended x4, Quickness 13
Last edited by Sakuro on Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

OOC:
Search! Vision-Based Super-Senses apply, as well as any ability to do detect radio.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The sky above was covered in smog, but with Shi’Halal’s eyes all that thick fog, smog and ash peeled away, revealing the drifting ring of ships, all derelict, orbiting Rustdeity like a sargasso of death. To Imperious’ surprise, several of these ships actually retained minimal functionality, though none had intact propulsion-systems.

The ships that littered the sky were a confusing melange of types, sizes and shapes: military vessels, merchant ships, even a shattered space station! Imperious might have wondered if it were possible to even find what he what looking for, but luck came to his aid—-there it was!

A spherical ship several hundred meters across in all directions, it actually was not gutted and its innards were not exposed to the vacuum of space. (The air on board, no doubt, would still be toxic and unbreathable!j The engines, which orbited the vessel without actually physically connecting TO the craft, were depleted, dead...inert.

Onboard the vessel, a transmitter whirred away, spamming out its signal ceaselessly...
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

At the sight of all those ships floating above Rustdeity he was tempted to take to the sky and explore them. Part of him suspected that they might need to visit the sphere ship that was sending out the signal, so as to deactivate it. However, he did not know what the message was. Mayhap one of distress, calling for aid. Or possibly warning of a danger aboard the vessel. For a time he quietly took in the fleet of derelicts overhead. Each of them a treasure from the past. Possibly tombs for the dead. Any, or all, could be dangerous. Eventually they may fall … and then what? Who knew what was aboard them and could be brought down to Rustdeity for good or ill. The broken station … a floating building in the sky. Shattered. What had happened? It wasn't the first time Imperious had asked that question of the Catastrophe and events surrounding it.

"I've located the source of the transmission. How fairs the translation's progress? I'm tempted to investigate the site … then again the message could be a warning to stay away for all we know."
Last edited by Sakuro on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Shi’Halal spoke, and she said, “Translation is unfortunately very slow, Lucas. I do not have this code in my database, so I am having to translate it on my own recognizance.

As to examining the ships, might I suggest extreme caution? It would be very easy for things to go very, very wrong...
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

After making a prolonged visual inspection of the ships overhead Imperious levels his head out to a normal incline. Then h turned his head to bring his eyes to bear on Mickey. He'd just bee standing in place. Looking around. Holding conversations that should could not fully perceive. This must have been either odd or boring to her and from Shi'Halal's report it would take longer just to get some more information about this transmission. After a moment of looking at Mickey in silence he spoke up.

"This may take a considerable amount of time. If you like I can return later."
OOC wrote:I'll shift the Flight/Ultiity array around so that Shi'Halal can work with Quickness 15, if that makes any difference.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

As her internal circuitry shifts, a ‘bell’ sound goes off. “Translation completed.
OOC:
Give yourself a hero point!
Message is as follows:
“‘This is the TAWS Dancer-upon-Oblivion. Repeat, this is the TAWS Dancer-upon-Oblivion. Captain Andrea Drell speaking. Most of my crew is dead. My ship has been compromised by TEGS outbreak. Repeat, vessel compromised by TEGS outbreak. I am aborting landing-run. Repeat, I am aborting landing-run. DO NOT SHOOT DOWN MY SHIP. DO NOT BOARD MY SHIP. DO NOT SALVAGE MY SHIP. De-contamination procedures have been activated but it’s unlikely the Dancer will survive the fighting.
“‘If anyone knows my husband, tell him I love him...but I can’t come home.
“‘TAWS Dancer-upon-Oblivion signing out. God have mercy on us all.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Imperious went silent as Shi'Halal announced the completion of her translation of the ancient coding. He listened, soaking in the words. Tried to imagine what it was like up there for Andrea Drell. Her crew dying to a disease. Fighting in the void of space over Rustdeity. He thought about the message itself, and whatever mechanisms that held on, perhaps struggling for millennia to deliver the Captain's warning. How lonely a ship must be without a crew. Lucas then pulled back from his imaginings and musings to consider the nature of the message and how it related to the present day.

"A plague ship. Interesting that this brainnet would be compromised by an automated outbreak warning at the same time as the Tempestineers are victims of a plague. It would be a good idea to get some scans of this TEGS and compare it to what Mr. Mystery has unleashed. Perhaps there is medical information on one of the ships as well."

Before he actually considered departing for any such undertaking, there was the present concern of the brainnet. It was still suffering. Still compromised by this message that was harming it's ability to function. That needed to be resolved. Two ideas came to mind, terminating the signal and 'deflecting' it away from this device. The latter he could not do himself, but Shi'Halal might.

"Are you able to prevent the brainnet from being forced to receive the message? I would rather not terminate the transmission itself unless the vessel can be decontaminated."
OOC wrote:
HP: 3
Conditions: Fatigued
Communion Array: Power Stunted Datalink 20
Blast "Arsenal" Dynamic Array: Enhanced Strength 30 and Strike 3 [Feats: Might, Variable Descriptor "Technological Weaponry" 2]
Flight "Utility" Dynamic Array: Normal Vision Extended x5 ; X-Ray Vision Extended x4 ; Flaw: Limited "cannot penetrate jade"], Quickness 15
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Yes,” Shi’Halal answered, “but my connection to the brainnet is already slipping. Let me perform this action now, whilst the connection yet endures.

There’s a shrteeeeeeee noise—-audible only to Imperious—-then, silence. The brainnet speaks, “Thank you, shaman. No longer do dead voices tear at me.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

When Shi'Halal alerted him to the waning connection Imperious closed his eyes and took a moment to focus acting as a human medium between the two devices. THe muscle memory of breathing slowed, his chest gently rising and falling in slow cresting waves until the unusual sound broke his consentration. Lucas' eyes opened and he gave a subtle shake of the head. Then the brainnet spoke. He suddenly felt the mental and emotional exertion catch up with him. But he listened to the machine's voice before responding to it.

"I am pleased we were able to help. Before I return you to your human companion, can you tell me what these symbols mean? She does not know, and it would help her in operating you if she did."
OOC wrote:Imperious would take some time to see if the brainnet can help him understand the symbols in his AR vision and how to operate the brainnet's AR systems. That way he can inform Mickey. It may be tedious to play out, so we can montage/summarize this if you like.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The brainnet answered promptly, “Blue = safety/danger ratio. Red = connection strength. White = range to nearest skynode. Black = my health. So it is. The deeper the color, the fainter the phenomenon. The lighter the color, the stronger the phenomenon.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

As brainnet explained each of the colors Imperious looked to the symbols and made the visual-mental connection in his mind. Blue. Red. White. Black. Connection strength. range to skynode. Brainnet health. Shading indicated intensity. He went through the memetic memory technique before.inspecting the intensity of each color himself. If only to get a feel for the visual representations that he might explain it all to Mickey after removing the brainnet.

"Thank you, that is useful information. Is there any message you would like me to pass on to your human counterpart?"

Even as the question was posed to the brainnet the protective layers of Shi'Halal pealed away from his head exposing a young stoic face. Stoic and stern. Clean shaven. The bottom right side scarred with a warped and melted texture. What little of his neck was uncovered showed that the scar tissue extended further downward as well. His gauntlet clad hands reach up to the net and he began carefully removing it from his head.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

My soul needs patching,” the brainnet says. “It has been too long since the magic words of renewal were spoken in my ears. I am old, now. Make me young, once more! Speak the words of renewal, the song of upgrade and patch and bugfix.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"That is something Mickey should experience with you."

Imperious said as he offered up the brainnet to the woman who had been listening to him talk to himself for the past few minutes. Then, speaking directly to her now, Imperious explained what he had learned.

"I was able to find out what the colored icons mean. The blue one indicates the level of danger in your area. Red is the strength of your connection to the local skynode. Black is the health of your brainnet. The brighter the color equates to a higher intensity while darker is negative or lower intensity."

He paused a few seconds, watching Mickey, and taking in her disposition. After giving her a moment to assimilate what he had shared with her Imperious went on.

"The transmission should no longer be hindering your device. It is physically in good condition as well. However, it's software is in need of servicing. Once you connect to a skynode, request an upgrade, 'patch', or 'bug fix' for it. If this does not help, let me know."
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Mickey nods. “Thanks, boss-man.” She takes the brainnet back, though she is clearly hesitant. “I thought you were going to use it though?”