[IC] The New Mythos: Trials and Tribulations

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Science and Superstition

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The young girl was quick to move through the room searching for something, anything that she might be able to use for some form of tracking spell. At first it seems to ultimately an utter failure, Claire was meticulous in keeping her living space free of anything that could be used to track her down via DNA. Nothing.

Except, the longer she stood in place the brighter her surroundings seemed to become. Edged at the furthest reaches of her hearing, a man's soft laughter. Tears well up into her eyes without prompt, a deep unexplained sense of nostalgia filling her core.

Jenny found herself moving in almost a daze, up to a desk covered in various knickknacks and décor. All of them felt gray to her, unloved and unreal. There was something inside the desk itself, something hidden. Third drawer down, deep yet also shallow. A false bottom. Two taps to the side, and a thunk from the left, and panel popped open to reveal a worn metallic lockbox with faded red paint. The instant Jenny's hands touched it, the world snapped back into focus leaving her strangely hollow.

Inside were old photos and child's toys, mementos it seems left behind by her father. At the very bottom of the box is a small silver locket. When the girl fingered the switch along the side, it popped open to reveal a young girl's smiling face from a small loose picture. There was just enough space for her to look behind without fully removing it, and behind it was a small lock of blonde hair.

Out of the corner of her eyes Jenny would notice the bedroom's window, where she could see Felix quickly making his stealthy escape from the federal confrontation.

He moved with purpose, and it didn't take him long to get from the alley towards the street. Most visitors would've stopped to park inside the underground garage, but not so it seemed for the dwarven man and his partner. It was an older model of car, perhaps early 2000's, yet the black vehicle seemed well loved and cared for. Nothing stuck out about it that screamed they were definitely who they said they were, but perhaps the blatant disregard to parking laws was a hint in and of itself.

Inside, for his part Eric took in a strong sent of coffee and lingering cigarette smoke, as well as a hint of gunpowder from their hidden pieces. Judging them by scent alone was difficult, but in his experience the stresses of the job went well in hand with both copious caffeine consumption as well as nicotine addiction.

GM: A very nice roll. You have a box of genuine mementos the agent cared for enough to protect, the locket in particular seems to have been her father's. It has a strong emotional connection towards his daughter, as well as also having some of her hair. As a bonus, there's even a route for her to escape into the alley as well.
Felix discovers what he feels could be the supposed agent's car.
Eric smells what could be signs that they are who they say they are.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 2

Felix's grin grew a little bit bigger.

"Well, either I am right and this is going to work, or I'm completely wrong and I am going to be glad nobody can see me doing this," He says to himself.

From his vantage point in the alley, trying to keep to the shadows, he straightened his shoulders, narrowed his eyes and stood tall. He stamped his staff on the ground with his right arm, causing the crystal to glow before he quickly stopped it, then waved his left-

Felix paused, looked at his missing arm with a frown, "Ah. Right."

He sighed. With a nod to the staff, a robot arm appeared from the back of his jacket to hold it. Waving his right hand forward he pointed his fingers at the car, then slowly closed them into a fist.

"Awaken."
OOC:
Extra effort to stunt a mind control power off Felix's Technomagic array:
. . Machine Control: Affliction 8 (Alternate; 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will or Technology, DC 18; Affects Objects Only, Increased Range 2: perception, Subtle: subtle; Limited Degree (third only))
Basically want to turn on everything that will make light, or noise (at max volume), but do not want to do anything that would cause the car to move or be actively damaged or damaging.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Cheyenne held the door, perhaps angling it just enough to hide the escape Felix had just conducted. Michael and Eric for their parts currently remain hidden from view, ready and prepared in case things turn ugly. It's tense as the dwarf seems to struggle with his pocket, enough that he elf may've felt his finger curling around his gun's trigger in preparation.

"Ah- Here we are. Damnable thing..." He speaks at last, pulling out a partially crumpled yet neatly folded slip of paper. It comes undone and he takes a moment to smooth out the edges, before lifting it up to show Cheyenne. She's not an expert, though she's tangibly familiar with the concept enough that the writing seems to be legitimate to her. "Court issued. So long as you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear from us. Now if you could just-"

Outside, Felix felt a surge of power rush in from the mana-sphere. Within his mind's eye he could see something take shape above the vehicle, a being composited of both light and sound freshly borne of his own will. It lingered above the chassis for a heartbeat, before rushing to fill it like a vessel.

An obnoxious carhorn pressed itself, it's headlights immediately switching to their fullbrights, an anti-theft alarm triggered, and a string ob flashing blue lights within the front window itself triggered in tandem with a siren. People everywhere on the street stopped to stare at the vehicle completely loosing it's own shit, some people even started poking their heads out of windows or doors to see just what was going on.

Inside the apartment complex a similar story was taking place. "H-hey, dosn't that sound like-?"

"My car!" The dwarf shouted, abandoning the doorway and taking off down the hallway in a flash.

His partner was left gobsmacked for several brief seconds before hesitantly starting down the hallway, holding a finger up in Cheyenne's direction "J-just wait here okay? We'll be right back!"
------------
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 2; Condition: Hunter

Chey smirked and gave a little wave as the '"agents"" left she made sure they were gone before she shut and locked the door fully. "Any ideas? because im down to just punch our way out but that might get messy.... and loud"
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

When Cheyenne turns around, she'd notice that Felix had already left through an open window. Jenny, presumably, has hid herself within the bedroom.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

HP: 2

Felix's grin grew to maniacal levels, and the only thing keeping him from cackling wildly was the fact that he didn't want to draw any attention to himself if he could avoid it. And the police exiting the building told him that window was closing quickly.

With a sigh that he couldn't bask in his glory, he turned back down the alley and stopped at the window he'd escaped from.

"They got a car with lights and sirens, I think they're real police detective," He hisses through the window, "And that's a level of heat none of us need! Everybody get out now, we're gotta get out of here!"

With that he makes his way to the back of the building, as far away from the police as possible. If the others joined him he'd call the Herkimer Battle Jitney to come pick them up once they were safely a block or so out of sight.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Fatigued

Almost reflexively, Jenny stuffed the lockbox (or at least its contents, depending on the size of the box itself) into some of the many pockets of her jacket- then she stumbled to the bedroom door and peered out at Cheyenne, holding onto the doorframe for support as she did. Her own emotions were a mess right now, and it would take some time to hammer the dents out of her own psyche- time they didn't have.

"He's right," she rasped, nodding towards the window where Felix had gone. "We have gotten everything we are going to from here, and we want roll before those guys get back. If we are going to help her, we can't get tied up in unnecessary talking- and we REALLY can't afford to get hauled downtown..." Left unsaid, for the moment at least, was that Jenny REALLY wanted to help Claire now. This was no longer just an assignment. While the emotions she had picked up weren't HERS, they were still real, and part of what had made Jenny a success in her craft was the ability to form connections with all sorts of people (even, in this case, someone she had never met)...

>OOC: Ready to roll.
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

Eric Sams - El Tigre Blanco
H.P.: 1

"She's right. We need to go." Eric motions towards the open window. "You guys go ahead. I'll shift and be right behind you."
Thanks, and have a nice day :)
------------------------------------------
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

GM: I think I've got a good enough indication you're all ditching the apartment.
Cheyenne and Felix, take an HP for your quick thinking regarding the agents.
Everyone as a whole, award yourselves with a PP for completing this first leg of the adventure near-flawlessly.

With the pressure the two men had exerted now thoroughly vaporized, the team quickly voids themselves of the apartment to meet up with Felix's car. You find yourselves waiting a few minutes for it to navigate through traffic using it's onboard GPS before it finally pulls up to the curb, it's doors opening for everyone on it's own.

There's a brief moment where you to go over what you've been able to gather so far, and what leads might need a followup. Of the latter the ones that stick up the most are regarding the convention, the deceased researcher's own apartment not far from here, and the robotics facility itself. For his part, Mikjal feels an inclination that he should probably contact his handler and mention the agents snooping around.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

HP: 3

Once he'd made his way down the hatch he walked over to the driver's seat and collapsed into it with a sigh. A quick stomp of his foot removed the locking mechanism and he spun the seat away from the steering wheel so he could face everybody else as the got into the Battle Jitney.

"Well, that was interesting," He says, locking his staff into a holder by the driver's seat, "Why were the cops there?"

He sighed, not having any idea one how to figure that one out.

"Okay, so we've got three options. We can check out the the convention, the researcher's apartment, or the robotics facility,"
He pushed up his glasses and rubbed his eyes, "I'm thinking we should probably hit the other apartment first. It'll probably give us more of an idea of where to look when we hit the convention. I'm thinking the facility needs to be the last place, I get the feeling that people will be looking for us after we go there, and we probably need to know exactly what we're looking for before we go in."

He paused, looking off into the distance, "I think. Not sure."
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

Eric Sams - El Tigre Blanco
H.P.: 1

"Sounds good to me," Eric replied, stroking his chin. "Thing is, I'm almost certain the apartment is under surveillance now, and whoever shows up there is going to wind up on someone's radar. I think maybe we should split our forces here. Mikjal and I could go to the apartment, everyone else go to the convention. Oh," he snaps his fingers, "Mikjal, could you spare some funds so that Jenny could get an outfit that would fit in better at the convention? Maybe she could look like a secretary or something like that. Felix, I think you could go in to assess the tech being demonstrated, see how you might use it and so forth. And you could certainly use an assistant, as well as a bodyguard. Mikjal and I, being trained investigators, wouldn't be terribly out of place at the apartment. Then, we can take on the robotics facility together."

Eric paused, then added, "If you have any ideas, now's the time to share."
Thanks, and have a nice day :)
------------------------------------------
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 2; Condition: Hunter

Chey shrugged then exited the window closing it behind her before she strolled casually towards the van where she joined the rest/
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Fatiigued

Jenny sat on the floor of the Battle Jitney, leaning back against one of the walls. For the most part she simply listened as the others spoke, but once there was a pause in the conversation she finally spoke up. "The first thing we need to do is find someplace out of the way so I can take care of something- something important. Claire is in danger, Right Now, and our investigation isn't going to be in time to help her, not if we don't, you know, Cheat a little. I found what I need, but I've got to do a bit of Magic. And I don't want to do it here in the van- technology and Magic, at least my Magic, don't get along. I'm going to need like 15 or 20 minutes- and sooner is better than later..."

>OOC: The general idea is to put together a Ritual for a 1PP 'power'- the Communication Link power from Senses, with Affects Others (Claire)(since the Power requires both users to have it), balanced by the Concentration limitation (or 'Send Only' on Jenny's end and 'Receive only' on Claire's end, if that works better). The ritual would be using those trinkets as a focus, to provide a proper degree of connection. A 1PP ritual would normally be 4 hours to design and 10 minutes to cast- with Jenny's Quickness for rituals, that is 15 minutes to design and 1 minute to cast, but she needs someplace safe and stable to do it.

The intent is not to open a real communication channel- it is just to deliver a warning, and to let Claire know somebody is trying to help. I don't want to short-circuit our detective work phase, but Jenny does feel obligated to try to do SOMETHING to help now.

Anyway, let me know if this idea is workable, or needs to be modified in some way.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

GM: It seems like a reasonable use of the trinkets. With the circumstancial bonus attributable by the mementos, such a ritual could be pulled off almost effortlessly.

Up to the team if they agree to let her go through with it of course.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

HP: 3

"Wait, wait, wait," Felix holds up a hand, "Van?"

He gives Jenny an incredulous look, "This is a Herkimer Battle Jitney. It's an armored personnel carrier and the finest nonlethal military vehicle ever made!"

He just shakes his head, gobsmacked, unable to say anything more for a few seconds before finally saying, "Maybe we can find you a park or something."

He turns around, locking the driver's seat back into position, muttering to himself, "Van? The A-Team had a van. The Mongrel looks more a van than this thing. A van."