[IC] The New Mythos: Trials and Tribulations

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 1

Felix reels backwards as the currents of electrical power punch through his shields and leaves light burns across his body. Worse the electrical shock resulted in a few muscles flexing uncontrollably, making it hard to move around.

"Ow, god dammit!"
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

As the arcs pass without consequence over the remainder of the team, with a mighty warcry the powerful huntress of a woman picks up the undead abomination, and slams it bodily into the floating orb. It's just like playing T-ball for her with how little chance the thing even has to react before it's minion impacts and then shatters it's arcane shielding, making contact with the artifact itself. Both her improvised weapon of a body and the orb itself break apart in a gory mess, crystal shards going flying with sparks trailing behind them in every direction.

Where the orb had been floating in midair, now floated a small twisting nexus of mana that begins to unravel like a ball of yarn. The parts that fall away dissipate into nothingness before your eyes, and the cold atmosphere you'd been feeling slowly dies away. In the end there's a single gemstone, what looks to be a smooth and perfectly clear diamond core. Magic faintly streams away from it in a haze as it glitters to the ground with a clatter, it's natural hardness and lingering enchantment preventing it from shattering much like the crystal shell that housed it.

The corpse it had pupped, head still mostly intact, begins to speak one last time. "Maestro alchimista ... È questo quello che volevi?" It's parting words given, the light dies away completely, leaving now only a desiccated corpse and what's left of the artifacts' arcane core.

GM: I think most GMs don't like maneuvers being used together like that, but for now I'l allow it.

Toughness (Orb): 12 CRACK
Toughness (Arcane Zombie): 9 SPLAT

Dodge (Arachne): 16
Toughness (Arachne): 22 Just fine

Dodge (Copper): 13
Toughness (Copper): 26 A-Okay

Combat is over! Please take two PP as a reward, as the magics of the fight seep into your forms.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix watches the room, for a moment, before slowly walking forward and poking the diamond core with the end of his staff.

After a moment of nothing happening he raises his staff triumphantly, "Ha! Take that you little jerk."

He sighs as the area fills with magic before slowing ebbing away.

"Well, guess that's that. We got the book, the artifact, and," He takes the artifact from his robot arms which then pick up the diamond core, "What's left of the magic orb. Nobody's making magic drugs anymore."

He smiles, "I'm thinking: Ice cream. Anybody want ice cream?"
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 1; Condition: hunter

Chey dusted her hands off as the magic washed over her like a gentle breeze. the runic drawings glowed softly as it did and she took a breath to cool down and center herself.
Well, guess that's that. We got the book, the artifact, and," He takes the artifact from his robot arms which then pick up the diamond core, "What's left of the magic orb. Nobody's making magic drugs anymore."

He smiles, "I'm thinking: Ice cream. Anybody want ice cream?"
She thought for a moment then shrugged with an easy grin "Sure why not "
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Velari Larosa
1 :HP ο COND: -1 Damage resist, Dazed
Array: Enhanced Attack(Multiattack) 3, Multiple Limbs 5

Valari sighs as the orb and zombie go still. Her injury regenerating itself, the goo-lady stretches her back with arms above her head, which seems entirely unnecessary given her lack of a skeletal structure. More of a habitual stretch then.

"Ice cream sounds great. Though we should contact Echo that we've finished up here and let him know about the Mazerunners."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

As discussions about ice cream take place right after the brutal killing of a zombie and it's master, it goes unnoticed just how green Arachne's face has started to become. "Actually.. If you could drop me off somewhere along the way instead, I think I'd like to skip the ice-cream."
------------
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

"Copper"
Cond: Normal

Copper runs and jumps around much like an excited puppy at the sound of ice-cream. He stops and tilts his head when Arachne speaks up. Gesturing towards the exit, he shows his eagerness and readiness to leave...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"Yeah, sure, shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of room in The Mongrel," Felix says to Arachne as he starts making his way out of the building.

He pauses at the main floor, looking around to see if any of the magic drug users are still kicking around. Normally he wouldn't want to have anything to do with drug users but... He knew what it felt like to not fit in, and to suddenly find new meaning in life with the existence of magic. There wasn't anything he could do in regards to how they'd touched magic before, but there were other ways of accessing the arcane energies of the world.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

As the group comes to a near unanimous decision to put an end to their adventure with a reward, they make their ways back upstairs and out of the building. In the time you had spent downstairs, everyone had either come to and cleared out on their own or were dragged out by others, leaving he building now truly abandoned. Felix, having had the foresight to prevent people from poking around in the basement too, reactivated the magic wall which sealed off what remains of the Mazerunner's hideout before they left the area.

While driving through town Arachne requests to be dropped off near an upper-end residential area, presumably where she lives. If offers are made to exchange numbers, she politely declines and insists they instead try to contact her through her twitter profile. Those that investigate it find it's privatized, but if requests are sent she accepts you readily when she next get's online. It's here you realize that you've received a privilege only given to her highest backers, though the tweets themselves are as mundane as any common account.

Eventually Felix pulls the Mongrel into a small ice-cream parlor on a quieter end of the city, packed with customers both human and supernatural looking to seek solace from the spring late-afternoon warmth. It seems your driver had found the perfect location to unwind, as the myriad of non-humans helps to keep Velari from sticking out too prominently. Copper earns more curious stares, but his canine nature quickly wins the hearts of youngest who insist on trying to pet him. Parents who watch slowly ease their worries once his tail begins to wag in response, though they continue to keep half an eye on him the entire time their children are with him.

While the dragon does his best to pay attention and make contributions in however way he can, the three verbal members of their odd team discuss the events of earlier. It becomes apparent to them that both Arachne and Delancey are not likely to come back, though the former has at least decided to keep some connections with you all. What this means for future meet-ups is unclear, though you have this feeling that your spiritual benefactor might have something in mind when you finally meet up with him again. Perhaps he already knows, and is searching out for new members even now.

Cheyene manages steer the group back onto track with a few gruff comments, and you go over what you've learned. It's apparent that the Mazerunners used that building in the past, having exploited an old alchemical artifact to make their street-drug and possibly distributed it from that location too. You have records, scattered as they are, that could possibly implicate people if you managed to decipher the contents, evidence you could later bring to the authorities if you knew who to seek out. At some point someone was executed, and Boss Longhorn was very obviously pissed off about something in particular, but you haven't uncovered just why. In some attempt to maintain the scene of the crime, the hat and bone fragments were left mostly where they were found. Found in that area was a love note with a logo reading "Wolfram's Hearth, Bar & Grill" at the top. Along with the documents from earlier, you also uncovered an old alchemical journal, written and illustrated in a way you all swear looks familiar, but you just can't place it. A passing comment from your waitress when Felix is skimming through it again mentions it looked Italian to her, though she couldn't understand it either. Lastly, you also have the disenchanted diamond core of what was once a sapient crystal ball. Both Cheyenne and Felix are confident it no longer holds any form of magical charge, but it could probably sell for good money if one found the right collector.

Overall, there's a bludgeoning consensus that the Mazerunners were no more, but the lack of bodies besides the lone zombie might detract from this theory. You have no idea how hard it is to actually get Source, but the fact that the building was filled with teenage spelljunkies leaves the impression it's still readily available if you knew where to look. Overall, while you're satisfied you've dealt with what could've become a powerful threat and have uncovered plenty of evidence and incidental treasures, you all feel that you're not quite as done as you initially hoped.

Eventually it comes time for everyone to leave, the three with phones free to exchange information while Copper takes time to memorize their scents for the future. The day comes to a close as you each eventually reach your respective homes, as the nightlife of Mirum Urbem begins to take shape, the city remains ignorant of the first deeds of it's newest heroes.

The curtains begin to draw on the first chapter...
Alright, with input from some of you I've decided it was best to end things here as the first chapter, to be picked up again within the next few days once I have things ready. It's here I'd like to give you four a chance to include your final thoughts for this initial adventure in the form of a post, something I'm thinking of doing at the end of each adventure. It's not strictly necessary, but this is your chance to do so if wished. Your 2 PP at the end of that fight will count as the reward for your adventure.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

As the Mongrel rolled into the shop, Felix hit the garage door opener, and flicked off the engine.

For a long moment he just sat in the driver's seat before letting out a long sigh and slumping in his seat. It had been a long day.

Climbing out of the Mongrel he walked over to a customized engine hoist, one designed specifically for holding his trench-coat, and stood there as the automated arms lifted the coat off him. Feeling about fifty pounds lighter, he put away his shades, collected his staff and the loot from his latest adventure.

Shuffling through the building to his computer room he collapsed into his computer chair. The memory foam and duct tape, while not terribly pretty, but it was comfortable.

The artifact was set beside his chair, the gemstone was placed on the desk, the staff leaned against the desk, and the book... The book he sat down in front of him, and with a few clicks of the mouse he'd brought up four translation webpages, his e-mail to see if anything had come in, a twitch stream of the latest video game release played by a player with more charisma than skill, and his music player on the last monitor.

Bathed in the glow of his monitors he picked up the gemstone and flipped it up into the air.

"Let's make some magic," Felix said with a grin as his music kicked in.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

"Copper"

Copper jumped in the pool as he got home - something his "owners" wouldn't question - in order to remove the odors of the day from his scales. Shaking himself off much like his canine form of old, he headed to his little grotto (quite the step up from the old dog-house!) to settle down for a much needed nap.

When his two young charges came out with food, he happily lapped it up and then bounded around the yard.

Yes. Today had been a good day.

Then, he was extremely happy when the teenage girl - Wendy - from the family, came out and started showing/ practicing sign language with him. To the young dragon's delight, he found his hands actually able to more and more accurately mimic human movement. He bleated with pleasure as Wendy smiled and laughed as he started to copy her movements.

Yes. A very good day indeed.
Last edited by Bladewind on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Doctor Malsyn

[IC] The New Mythos: Twists and Turns

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

-
"When one door closes, a window is opened..."
-

It's midnight within a certain suburb on the edges of Mirum Urbem, and one man stands in silent contemplation within his moonlit garden. Monsters have become a common sight within the world after the Inheritance, but even among them there are certain individuals that stand out from the crowd. Such is the case for one Rafael Schults, who's distant ancestor was perhaps a spirit of nature of some unknown descriptor, leaving him a large and oversized avatar of nature. It mattered not to him his family's past, as he was far more concerned with his family's future.

"Out of work still I see." A voice called out to him, yet when he turned he only saw shadows. "I hope you've not forgotten my offer just yet. The others have made progress, but two have left the fray. You were one of the first I came to, but you turned me down. Said you wanted to try doing some good work on your own. It's been a week, and you're still unemployed."

A pause, and the voice switches to somewhere on his left. "It's hard, isn't it?" Turning, Rafael finds the shattered visage of Echo only a foot away from his face, causing the tree man to actually stumble back in momentary surprise. "Finding people who'll accept you for what you are now. You can make that happen, show people that we're not to be feared. You can do good work, and you'll even get paid for it. Well. For this first job at least."

Echo flickers, and is now perched within one of the garden's larger trees. "Same place as before. Tomorrow, twelve-a-clock."

Strong wind shifts the branches, and the spirit vanishes from view.

-
"Mother, brother is speaking again, but brother is gone, you told me so..."
-

Light has shifted, bathing the city in shades of many sorts. For one young girl who's making her way to a safer district to tuck in for what was shaping up to another warm night, she has come to learn of these shades in and out, forming odd friendships and even stranger acquaintances that thread the line between worlds. It's not uncommon for those of that nature to seek her out from occasion either for a conversational chat or to cash in on favors owed. For that reason, it doesn't faze her in the least when on the opposite side of her crosswalk, a spirit manifests in the split second a bus passes her by.

It says nothing nor makes to approach, instead waiting patiently for the light to turn green and Jenny Ember to cross the street herself. There's a moment where she shoots it a look of expectation, yet it merely cocks it's head to one side, before looking down toward the path she was taking. At his nonverbal prompt the girl continues to walk as if she saw nothing, though she can feel him trailing beside her.

"For someone so young, you've become quite the popular figure in our world." He states, his voice akin to autumn leaves ruffling in the wind. "That can be dangerous. Especially for someone who holds a partnership with a spirit older then most of us have been dead. The veil of anonymity has been lifted from you by your own actions. Not a bad thing. Though it has it's own problems."

The two pass another crosswalk, where a woman sits stock still in the center. People don't hesitate to walk through her, and you're the only one that gives the woman the courtesy. Jenny has seen the signs often enough before to understand the woman is still trying to come to terms with her passing, and knows when to leave a grieving ghost to their thoughts.

"I have a favor. One which comes with it's own rewards, should you accept it. There's a sickness on these streets that needs dealt with, misguided youth and the easily swayed tempted by promises of power." His words strike a chord with Jenny, who's lived and breathed these streets for the past year. One of her closer friends who didn't Inherit from the virus had died just a few weeks ago, magic his body wasn't meant to handle having torn his body apart from the inside. He didn't even leave behind a spirit. "You, and five others. I want you to find the people behind Source, and put an end to their operations for good. Come to this address tomorrow, at twelve. I know you'll do the right thing."

Jenny felt the chill leave her side, but there was a note pressed between her fingers.

-
Chapter 2: Twists and Turns
"Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination."
-

Some of you came here on your own, others received a cryptic text on your phones, and two others still were contacted personally. Regardless of how you came to be, you were all gathered in what was starting to seem like your official meetup spot, an abandoned warehouse in the old industrial district of Mirum Urbem. For Cheyenne, Copper, Felix, and Velari there are two new faces among the crowd. One of them a massive tree-man, who knows no need for modesty any longer. The other is a young girl, yet an odd aura seems to surround her.

At the center of it all, perched on the edge of an old shipping container is your spiritual benefactor. It seems he was going to do without theatrics this time around. "You're all here. Right on time." His head turns to the side, as he gives you an appraising look. "Just like I knew you would. You four did good work last time, took care of something that might've been nasty. But things aren't finished yet. Source is still being moved around on the street."

With a pause in speech, he turns his lone eye towards first Rafael, and then Jenny. "The last two weren't the right fit. It happens. These two though, I think you'll come to like. Take a moment. Introduce yourselves."
------------
Camus

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Twists and Turns

Post by Camus »

From the window of the second floor he had said his goodnight to his family, and stayed out for the night, as was now standard. The breeze played with his branches and leaves as he stood there like an oak, his gaze lost in the cloudy sky.
Today was particularly bad, thought Rafael with a sigh of rustling leaves. Two more potential employers turned him down, he stepped on someones dog (It was the dog fault, trying to mark a moving tree), and for the third time this week he unintentionally startled miss Ruthford from next door. He was just being cordial and waving at her, but for some odd reason people do not notice Rafael when he is in his garden. Another sigh. He was also flowering, as spring closed in. It made no difference for him really, but it made some people sneeze, and made him a target for bees and birds, which added to the difficulty of finding a job. If no one wants to hire a walking tree, no one in their right mind would hire a walking tree with a wasp hive on it. The sighing continued.
"Out of work still I see."
Rafael turned looking for the source of the voice. That shattered voice could only be his.
"I hope you've not forgotten my offer just yet. The others have made progress, but two have left the fray. You were one of the first I came to, but you turned me down. Said you wanted to try doing some good work on your own. It's been a week, and you're still unemployed."

Echo... "Well, do not get me wrong, you didnt strike me as a good intentioned ghost-guy at first. Besides, I had a few interviews..."
"It's hard, isn't it?"

The startled tree took a step back, smashing a pot with a tomato plant. He frowned at Echo before turning away from him "Look at what you made me do... Poor friend..."

"Finding people who'll accept you for what you are now. You can make that happen, show people that we're not to be feared. You can do good work, and you'll even get paid for it. Well. For this first job at least."

Echo kept speaking on his back as he gathered the tomato plant. Rafael sighed. As he turned to look at the spirit, it was now perched within one of the garden's larger trees.
"Same place as before. Tomorrow, twelve-a-clock."
Rafael remained looking at the empty branch for a moment, expecting it to appear somewhere else. No, he was gone. He let out another sigh of relief, that thing got him nervous. "I guess I could give it a shot..."

-----------------------

Leaving his family in the morning, Rafael went out with the excuse to find work, when actually he had already found some. Moving thought the suburbs was easy, as the abundant vegetation provided him with a fast lane to any of the other districts of the city. However, the industrial district was anything but abundant in plant life. The greyscale tones of the whole landscape impacted Rafael like a concrete wall. He unrooted from the last portion of free soil at the edge of the district and walked heavily and slowly through the paved roads, he was too big for the walkways, so he had to take care and avoid cars and trucks that populated the place. As he moved, he waved to the few pioneer plants that had found a small niche in the concrete jungle.
The old warehouse was not hard to find, and getting inside was easy enough using the truck access gate, which was so rusted to fell apart as he tried to open it.
Echo was there, as were other people too. Or at least as much "people" as he is. Most of them looked quite young too. A watery girl, a dragon (a freaking dragon!),a 70s disco version of Gandalf the Grey, a purple she-Hulk, and Wendy from "Dont Starve". Well, he was not the one to judge people by their looks. Lifting a massive leaf-covered arm he intoned in a grinding-rocks voice. "Hmm hello..."

OOC: Imagine Treebeard's voice (of course)
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

"Copper"

Copper had come to like the reaction he often got when people first saw him. Not the soil their pants, grab a pitchfork, knees knocking in terror look - he wasn't a red dragon after all... No, the wondrous, wide-eyed awe of seeing him. But this - what did Bryan favor from those books and movies? Ents! - this was a genuine Ent. It was Copper's turn to be awed.

Approaching the large tree-man cautiously, Copper began to sniff at his legs, circling him much like, well, much like a dog would...
pathfinderq1

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Twists and Turns

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember

(Earlier)
Jenny had been moving with a purpose, and the day had been going so well. These sneakers were really (almost) brand new and had just been left in a bag beside the donation bin- she hadn't even needed to squirm inside to get them. And the weather was nice, at least warm enough for decent comfort with only the single blanket of her bedroll. If she hurried she could get to Restaurant Row before the other gleaners scarfed up all the good "leftovers".

All it took was one brief encounter to send things off track. Well, onto a different track- this was no ordinary lost soul...

She knew OF Echo, of course. Anyone with an ear for the gossip of the corporeally-challenged had heard something about them. But vague rumors were one thing, and an actual encounter was something else entirely.

And a spirit (of some sort or another) that was capable of manifesting a physical artifact, even one as tenuous as a slip of paper... Well, that was a kettle of fish of a different color. But he spoke her language, after all. A favor was good coin, if one could pick it up. And Source... That poison, that wretched rotting venom. She had poked about the edges of that before, but the risks were too great, and her resources were so few- especially in anything like a straight up fight.

But if there were others, maybe she could push a little harder, dig a little deeper. And if she could dig deep enough to get to the heart of this corruption, she could BURN it out. She chuckled, in a voice that might not have been entirely her own, and slid the paper into one of the many pockets of her coat. Tomorrow night...

(Now)
The girl was young and while she was clean enough she had a scruffy, battered air to her. She wore jeans were ragged at the cuffs and slightly tattered, and both her sneakers and her hooded sweatshirt were obviously too large for her- the sneakers at least were padded by several mismatched pairs of socks. Over one shoulder was an over-sized messenger bag with a tightly rolled blanket lashed to it (And a cheap yellow rain slicker wrapped around the blanket). But her coat was distinctive- a car-length coat of dark denim, it was almost entirely covered in a patchwork of ribbons and, well, trinkets- including religious symbols of dozens of faiths and a variety of other more esoteric talismans. And on her left hand was an enormous ring of iron and brass, so ornate that it was almost disturbing. She had been hanging back against the wall, not quite hidden in the shadows of the run-down building, until Echo appeared. When she stepped forward it was slowly, carefully...

At a closer glance, her eyes had a soft, out-of-focus look to them- it would have been easy to dismiss it as the hazy, glaze-y sign of someone who was stoned out of their mind, but for all that her gaze was far too direct. She glanced at each of the assembled group briefly- there was the sense that she was looking right at you, but also at something just behind each of you. To those who could sense unusual things, the aura around her seemed wrong somehow, as if were both her and something else. She clasped her hands carefully together before her and bowed her head to each person in turn, lingering just an eyeblink longer with Cheyenne and Felix, then turned and made the same gesture towards Echo, though with a deeper bow this time.

"I should hope that I will be well-pleased to make the acquaintance of each of you, and I hope I can uphold the regard our host has given me," she said- her voice was quiet but confident, at a level perhaps at odds withe her youth and small stature. "I am known as Jenny, Jenny Ember And it may be that some of you might have heard of me. It would seem as if we have a common cause before us, and a mutual ally."

>OOC: Hopefully that is enough for now, I have got to go get some sleep.