[IC] To Live ... [2]: Last Night I Went To Manderley Again

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: [IC] To Live ... [1]: The Sun, The Rain, And The Appleseed

Post by Flynnarrel »

Freebird

Marcus was still mostly non-functional in the physical department, not that he'd do much in the way of confrontation. Heck, the first time he was out of his lab he got killed.

"Guys, if we all work together we can talk this out."
His confident, soothing voice permeates the room, exuding chillness. "Who's to say his Intended isn't already here."
Init: 1d20+8 23
His action will be Inspire 3 on everyone who can understand him except Jack.+3 to all rolls for those who go after him (or delay initiative).
With a Surge to try a Persuasion Aid Other action to whomever else would try to persuade Jack.
Persuasion: 1d20+6 15, good for a +2 on someone else's persuade roll.

Fatigued next turn. (talking is hard work :) )
"Something pithy this way comes."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper
Hero Points: 1
All-Out Attack, Dodge and Parry +7

Genevieve jumps out of her hoverbed as Jack goes for Emiri's throat. "Wait--what?"

She waits apprehensively for a second, half-expecting hidden gun turrets to pop out of the walls and open fire on the man from the Freedom Group. When none do, she tries to pin Jack's arms to his sides and pull him off of the doctor.

"Are you insane?!" she whispers.
Initiative: 1d20+1 7
Hindered is a -2 to actions, but taking the All-Out Attack option for 2 should cancel that out, and with Freebird's Inspire her attack should be a +12 total...
Grab check, all-out attack 2: 1d20+12 31
So that's a DC 21 Dodge or Strength check for Jack. Which probably isn't hard for a speedster most of the time, but if he's already grappling Emiri, he might be vulnerable. If Jack is talked down before Genevieve's turn comes up, of course, she won't attack him.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

jmucchiello wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:59 pm BINARY
Initiative: 1d20+3 9

(OOC: Binary has only one power without her tools. Immunity to mental powers. Totally useless in a fight.)
(Adding my action)

Binary starts yelling at Jack, "Jack! Calm down, Jack! Weren't you listening? No one said anything about time travel. You died. You died a year at least before I did. I saw coverage of your funeral. Calm yourself down. These people travel through time no better than you or me. Forward. One second at a time."

I guess they haven't had anyone wig out before or there'd be guards in here.

Not helping.

Persuasion (with aid): 1d20+9 19 (Not sure if inspire applies to this or aid another. I used the aid another bonus of +2)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy
Initiative: 1d20+8 13
Victoria wasn't one to exactly shy back from violence, but she also knew she couldn't match a speedster in speed, so trying to rush was going to be just a waste of what little energy she had. Sneaky approach it was. As the blonde woman stands, bracing herself against the floating gurney, she speaks in a calm tone as she walks towards Jack, hands open and to her sides. "Look...I'm still not convinced you're not some kind of madness-induced hallucination, but in the off-chance that you're not, do you think hurting the doctor is going to help yourself?" Her intent was to stall Jack, get within arm's length where she can try to use her powers to calm him down without hurting him.
Deception is the plan here for her to mask her intent, but if you think a Persuasion is more appropriate, Victoria has the same value in both. :P

Deception or Persuasion: 1d20+10 29 Daaaamn. I mean, she also has Attractive if it applies, but that's already a solid result.
Davies

Post by Davies »

EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:10 am
Deception is the plan here for her to mask her intent, but if you think a Persuasion is more appropriate, Victoria has the same value in both. :P

Deception or Persuasion: 1d20+10 29 Daaaamn. I mean, she also has Attractive if it applies, but that's already a solid result.
Jack's Insight 1d20+13=16
Jack doesn't really acknowledge Victoria's words in any way, suggesting that he's too angry to pay her any mind -- which also means that she should be able to get close to him without his noticing, either. However ...
jmucchiello wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:36 am Binary starts yelling at Jack, "Jack! Calm down, Jack! Weren't you listening? No one said anything about time travel. You died. You died a year at least before I did. I saw coverage of your funeral. Calm yourself down. These people travel through time no better than you or me. Forward. One second at a time."
Persuasion (with aid): 1d20+9 19 (Not sure if inspire applies to this or aid another. I used the aid another bonus of +2)
That shifts Jack's attitude towards you from Unfavorable to Indifferent.
"No!" he says. "No, a Rocket does not die like that! And they have to have time travel, I've time travelled before, they have to be lying! I've got to go back, I have a legacy to live up to!"
RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:44 pm
Initiative: 1d20+1 7
Hindered is a -2 to actions, but taking the All-Out Attack option for 2 should cancel that out, and with Freebird's Inspire her attack should be a +12 total...
Grab check, all-out attack 2: 1d20+12 31
So that's a DC 21 Dodge or Strength check for Jack. Which probably isn't hard for a speedster most of the time, but if he's already grappling Emiri, he might be vulnerable. If Jack is talked down before Genevieve's turn comes up, of course, she won't attack him.
Jack's Vulnerable Dodge 1d20+8 = 20
Genevieve grabs Jack and pulls him off of Emiri. "Let me go, you fracking fascist!" he shrieks, fighting against her -- but his strength is not nearly enough to oppose hers.

Meanwhile, Emiri recovers from her shock and taps once on her left wrist. Four people in protective gear, including fully concealing helmets, materialize in the room beside her and promptly head over to where Genevieve has Jack in a hold. Without a word, one of them presses a device to the speedster's exposed neck.

"Nooooo!" he groans, before losing consciousness.

Once he's out, the security personnel take Jack into custody, assuming that Genevieve lets them. They don't talk, but silently gesture for her to do that. Once he's turned over, they tap their own left wrists, and dematerialize while carrying Jack's unconscious body.

"Well," Emiri says through the speakers, watching this. "This ... was unfortunate." She takes a deep breath. "Thank you, Ms. Kazan."

Billie has been silent through all of this, quietly watching. Now they speak up. "What's going to happen to him?"

"He will receive psychiatric help in coming to terms with his changed circumstances," the doctor answers. "We, regrettably, have some experience in this area."

"I see," they say, and fall silent once more, keeping whatever they think of this to their self.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

"I was surprised there wasn't any security in here." Binary says. "That altercation reminds me that most of my abilities are based on technological devices one of which was unique. Is there any way to get those back?"
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper
Davies wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:07 am "Well," Emiri says through the speakers, watching this. "This ... was unfortunate." She takes a deep breath. "Thank you, Ms. Kazan."
Genevieve nods unhappily. It isn't being called a fascist by Jack that bothers her. Lots of people have called her a fascist, and it's hard for her to say they're wrong. What bothers her is that the casual way guards teleport in and out of the room makes Emiri's story feel disturbingly credible.

Jack made an interesting point. If time travel used to be a thing that people could do--which is news to Genevieve, but if she's accepting everything else, why not time travel?--why can't they do it anymore?

She doesn't ask about that, though. She waits until Binary asks her question and then adds, "This also might be a good time to ask how much we owe you for our fancy clone bodies."
Davies

Post by Davies »

jmucchiello wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:16 am"I was surprised there wasn't any security in here." Binary says.
The doctor looks at you oddly. "This is a hospital, not a jail."
jmucchiello wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:16 am"That altercation reminds me that most of my abilities are based on technological devices one of which was unique. Is there any way to get those back?"
"Yes," she answers firmly. "The unique equipment you spoke of was also preserved, and will be made available to you when you are ready to leave. We have exact duplicates of the non-unique equipment waiting for your use, as well. This applies to all of you, although ..." She pauses, evaluates, and then proceeds. "I should note that the device that you specifically asked about was slightly damaged after the end of your first life, and that we have not been able to repair it."
RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:49 am "This also might be a good time to ask how much we owe you for our fancy clone bodies."
Emiri nods. "That would come under the heading of practicalities. In brief, you don't owe us anything. When your psyche recordings were taken into the Kinawa Group's custody, they also set aside assets matching your personal wealth for your use when you returned to your bodies. Those funds have been saved and invested over the past one thousand one hundred years, and have generally grown. We charged against those accounts when we restored you, but you will still possess a positive balance. In most cases, you would not have enough to pay for a second restoration, but you should have enough to support your residence here in Pacifica for some time before you obtain employment.

"I will provide exact details later, but I believe you should all be starting to feel fairly hungry by this point, having never had a meal before in your current lives." She taps a different spot on her left wrist, and displays emerge from the sides of your beds and rotate into view beside you -- or beside where you would be if you were still in bed.

"Make whatever requests for food you would like, it is all covered under the costs of your convalescence," Emiri says. "If you'll please excuse me, I have to, eh, have to attend to some other matters." With that, she heads out of the room, walking just a bit unsteadily. It seems likely that the attack on her bothered her more than she's openly admitting.

"I think I understand why the Kinawa Group went under," Billie notes quietly.
Your call as to whether you're hungry or not.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

Binary seems to stand there, lost in thought.

What did she mean-- Damaged?

Why would I know?

You know everything. You're the smart one.

I don't think now is the time to discuss this.

Oh? Maybe we should wait for our third lifetime. I suspect our wealth allows us a third chance thanks to me.

Jacen, stop being annoying.

No, you haven't tried it yet, have you?

Tried what?

You know what.

Actually I have. Nothing happened.

What?

Jacen, we aren't wearing the device. This body may feel like the Binary body. But it is nowhere near as strong or anything. I think this is basically my body. Remember, we never took the device off while merged. But due to circumstances that has happened.

Fucking great. And she said the device was damaged.

We don't know how damaged.

So I'm just the crazy voice in your head?

For now. They can make clones. They can transfer psyches. And as you pointed out, we can afford a third chance perhaps. So maybe we can find a way to split if we need to.

I am hungry.

You mean, we're hungry

Binary looks at the display and it seems blank. "Roast beef sandwich on rye with mayo, lettuce, tomato, and slaw."
Davies

Post by Davies »

jmucchiello wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:42 amBinary looks at the display and it seems blank. "Roast beef sandwich on rye with mayo, lettuce, tomato, and slaw."
"Beverage?" inquires the display.

A few moments later, regardless of your reply, the door to the room opens briefly to admit a floating tray carrying your order, which comes to rest right beside your bed.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Victoria sighs as the situation seems to sort of resolve itself through the efforts of other maybe-hallucinations. Once the adrenaline wore off, Victoria realized she was feeling hungry as the doctor figured before she departed.

Moving back over to her bed, she looks at the monitor that made itself evident, wondering how food has changed in the past millennium and a bit, while still casting the occasional glances at the others, Binary in particular as she orders and the meal is promptly delivered.

Taking that as a cue, Victoria tries her own order, speaking to the monitor. "Cottage pie....and a chocolate milkshake." She considered trying something more complicated to see if whatever made this food ordering thing work could manage it...but in the end, she was just hungry for some simple comfort food to try and calm down and make sense of the situation and figure out if she had really gone mad or not.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

"Oh, Lemon-Line soda." She adds.

As the food arrives, she takes a sip. "Very good." The sandwich is wonderful as well. Although she wonders if it is really beef or perhaps cloned meat.

She looks at the panel. "Display local news and weather in English."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Freebird.

"Oh Man!" he licks his lips excitedly. "No more RatBurgers and K-rations. I'm down for that!"

"Okay, Future Siri, I want a bacon double cheeseburger, extra pickles, a side of... Mac-N-Cheese, extra CheeseWiz, Lemon Merengue pie like they used to do at Nation's Burgers on 14th and Broadway until it shut down, A drink that is half Diet Cherry Coke and half Mr. Pibbs and half orange juice, One.. no TWO pot brownies, the Acapulco Gold strain with the heightened THC to CBD ratio. Then after the brownies I'm going to need a slice of pepperoni pizza, curly fries, a chicken Ceasar salad, no anchovies, and... a chocolate Frosty."

"I'm going to love the future!" Marcus says.

"Oh, Binary, If there was something damaged I can talk a look, if you want. I tinkered with stuff in... my former life."
"Something pithy this way comes."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Inquisitor: Your order is delivered just as promptly as Binary's order.

Binary: Nothing happens. Some more experimentation quickly reveals that while the display presents numerous menus of food items, it doesn't have any communication options, even one to allow you to talk to the chef.

Freebird: Your first tray appears without delay. When you try to order the marijuana, however, the display gives a buzz. "That food item is not available through this service."

All: Billie orders a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice. As they're eating the former, they swallow their first spoonful and quietly declare, "Soymilk." This doesn't stop them from continuing.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:18 pm "Oh, Binary, If there was something damaged I can talk a look, if you want. I tinkered with stuff in... my former life."
"I was an inventor for a multi-national corp in my civilian life." Binary says. "Unfortunately, the object in question is actually alien tech so if these advanced folks can't fix it... I might be retiring."

Again with TMI.

Your attitude is why I became reluctant to be Binary in those final months. If it weren't for...

"If it weren't for what?"

Nothing.

No, it's not nothing. Say it.

It's too late now.

Too late to say "We shouldn't fight the Necromancer"? Too late to say that?

I think the current situation answers that.

There it is. It's always my fault.