[IC] To Live ... [2]: Last Night I Went To Manderley Again

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: [IC] To Live ... [1]: The Sun, The Rain, And The Appleseed

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY
Davies wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:34 am Her face gets a bit sad. "I work for my parents, registered as a professional caregiver for my younger sister. The two of us moved here when it became apparent that she was going to need medical treatment for the rest of her life. Best hospital on the planet."
Way to step in it.

Hush

"I'm sorry to hear that," she says. "I hate to ask but I'm curious what kind of condition could be beyond the norms of your modern medicine."

----

"Vee, you should check the tablet to see when your job placement interview is."
Davies

Post by Davies »

jmucchiello wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:21 pm "I'm sorry to hear that," she says. "I hate to ask but I'm curious what kind of condition could be beyond the norms of your modern medicine."
Altera's friendly face goes very cold. "I'd really rather not talk about it, if it's all the same to you."
NPCs are not exposition robots.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY
Davies wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:53 pm Altera's friendly face goes very cold. "I'd really rather not talk about it, if it's all the same to you."
"I understand. I'm sorry about your sister," she says. "So perhaps I should actually go into my apartment." Jaina heads toward the door to the apartment. "Maybe we can have dinner together, Vee." She goes to her apartment unless stopped.

In her apartment, she picks up the tablet and says, "Do you have a name?"
"When is my job placement interview?"
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

"It's... weird, huh?" Genevieve says finally, for lack of anything more useful to say. She plays with the billiard balls on the table absently. "I didn't even think about looking up anyone from the 21st century. Anyone I knew who might have been picked for this program probably wouldn't be very happy to see me. Or I wouldn't be happy to see them. Or both."

She looks into the dining hall. "Let's just go eat for now."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Watching the interaction, Vee frowns when Altera's expression changes, leading to Jaina excusing herself. She turns her eyes back to Altera. "Sorry... I'm... not all that good at people. Maybe we can do the shopping thing another time..?"

Understanding that the tablet had some kind of interactive intelligent interface, she could probably ask it any questions she had more comfortably than she could ask the neighbor. "Oh... and, I don't think Jaina intended to be rude... we just woke up today, I think we're all kind of off our game..."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Peacekeeper:
RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26 am "It's... weird, huh?" Genevieve says finally, for lack of anything more useful to say. She plays with the billiard balls on the table absently. "I didn't even think about looking up anyone from the 21st century. Anyone I knew who might have been picked for this program probably wouldn't be very happy to see me. Or I wouldn't be happy to see them. Or both."
"Hm. I get what you mean," Billie says, and follows your lead into the dining hall. It's a much larger space than the lounge, stretching all the way back -- if your sense of the building's architecture is right -- to the main foyer, with a checkerboard floor and chandelier lighting. The room is dominated by a long table that seats about fourteen -- six on each side, and one at each end -- where there are presently two people sitting and quietly talking.

They break off when you approach the table, and the younger of the two -- a lady just a few years younger than Elisabeth -- stands up with a bright, welcoming smile. "You must be the new tenants! Welcome! I'm Cornelia Butler, and this is my uncle, Gregory Andrews. It's always nice to meet people who are only from a century in the future, instead of the alternative."

The man she's just introduced as her uncle coughs at that, but only nods graciously.

The table is set with plates, and several sets of utensils at each setting, along with glasses. In the center is a platter with some sliced brown bread, another of what looks like butter, and a pitcher of water.

"Billie Zane," your companion introduces themself as they sit down.
Cornelia:Image

Gregory:Image
Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:31 pm Marcus cradles the warm cup up to his nose; the smell was right but he remained uncertain. "Not... quite what I'm used to."

He sips. "Tastes right. But there's more than just flavors involved... Do you know of anyone who grows an herb garden that I might get fresh plants for teas and such? Or maybe I could start a garden here to grow stuff?"

"I'm not knocking your Star Fleet tech, it's amazing." he adds quickly. "I just like that 'home cooking' kinda feel to my food once in a while."
"Yeah, I get where you're coming from," Spectrum agrees. "There's a community garden not far away from here, which could help get you set up for that, but I don't know anyone who grows herbs, off hand."

Binary:
jmucchiello wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:25 am In her apartment, she picks up the tablet and says, "Do you have a name?"
"When is my job placement interview?"
"Yes, but nothing in your profile indicates that you would be able to pronounce it, as most of its tones are above the human auditory range," the tablet answers promptly. "Feel free to give me a nickname of your choosing. Approximately 40% of users do this, with an additional 35% using the name of our search function." It then displays a text message indicating that your appointment is at 9:30 AM tomorrow, with the location of the appointment highlighted.

Inquisitor:

Altera watches Jaina leave without a change of her icy expression. When you speak to her, though, she becomes embarrassed.
EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:20 am"Sorry... I'm... not all that good at people. Maybe we can do the shopping thing another time..?"

Understanding that the tablet had some kind of interactive intelligent interface, she could probably ask it any questions she had more comfortably than she could ask the neighbor. "Oh... and, I don't think Jaina intended to be rude... we just woke up today, I think we're all kind of off our game..."
"Yes, I suppose that's understandable," the young woman admits. "Um, well, in that case, I guess I'll be on my way. Really, most of the tech is very user-friendly, you just have to tell it what to do, and nothing will usually happen if you tell it to do something it can't do. Oh -- and just so you know, you can make the whole front door transparent by telling it to, ah, do that. Take care, I'm just a comm away if you need any help." With that, she heads out the door herself.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Davies wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:13 pm "Yeah, I get where you're coming from," Spectrum agrees. "There's a community garden not far away from here, which could help get you set up for that, but I don't know anyone who grows herbs, off hand."
Marcus nods then smiles. "Well, you've been more than generous with your time, I'm sure you have a ton of things to get back to." he says not wanting her to feel put upon leading a newb around by the nose.

"I will ask my tablet to call you if there's anything official that comes up and please call me if there's any house group stuff or if you'd like to arrange the Hamilton Opera viewing - you, me, others, however that works."

* * * After she leaves * * *

Marcus will pick up his tablet and start exploring options. He'll enable voice commands if needed. "First, we've got to give you a name. Change your unit designation to.... 'Janet' and change the designation of my apartment to 'The Good Place'. You and I are going to architect some amazing things."

He sets Janet's voice to female, chipper and ready to help. He next spends some time figuring out how to integrate his tablet with his headphones and suit - no use carrying more things than he had to. If it was just as easy as 'Blue tooth' pairing of devices, cool. He'd still have to carry the screen if he wanted to see stuff but maybe it could be mounted on a forearm or display through the night vision goggles and commlink embedded in his suit. (He doubted he had what he needed to make a wrist-mounted holographic display a-la Cortana, but he does what he can with what he has.)
technology: 1d20+13 30 And apparently does well.
Still working off the caffeine rush from the second 'green coffee' he got from Nathan he knows his body will want to crash.

First checking when his job appt is and seeing how long he could push it out to - he wanted a day or so at least to get his bearings. Next he'd check if there was a registry of everyone awakened and living in this city or anywhere to see if there were any names he knew. He imagined this was a common thing that newbs did and there would probably be 'clouds' devoted to that. He was 8 when he realized not everyone could perfectly recall the names and faces of everyone they'd ever met. Even then he tried not to make a big deal of it and he was 10 before anyone even found out about it. He puts it to use now trying to find any celebrities he'd be interested in but, more importantly, anyone he knew personally from his time either as a musician or in the Resistance.
"Something pithy this way comes."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY
Davies wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:13 pm "Yes, but nothing in your profile indicates that you would be able to pronounce it, as most of its tones are above the human auditory range," the tablet answers promptly. "Feel free to give me a nickname of your choosing. Approximately 40% of users do this, with an additional 35% using the name of our search function." It then displays a text message indicating that your appointment is at 9:30 AM tomorrow, with the location of the appointment highlighted.
"Okay," she says. "f you don't mind, I'll call you Amanda. Amanda was my personal assistant long ago and she was fabulous at her job."

Ah, Amanda. She was hot.

I hadn't noticed.

I'm in your head, you noticed.

With the number of images of her I could see in your head of her tits and ass, of course I noticed.

The source of those images were not always my head.

"Can you communicate with the kitchen? If so, I'd like a hot cup of Tanna if that's possible." (If not, she goes to the kitchen and talks to the devices in there.)

(If it happens) She goes into the kitchen and fetches the cup, returning to the living room. As she sees the "window", she asks, "This window, can it display anything? I'd like to see a map of Pacifica maybe centered on this apartment building. Add highlights for General Hospital and the Job Placement facility. Labels on the major streets would be nice, too. I'm able to fly so I will need to learn my way around the city. I figure if I see this map often enough, I'll remember it. Maybe add additional labels for any places you think is important to know about."

This does taste good.

(If she sees that there's an upper and lower city, she will ask about it, and presumably get the information the other half of the team got.)

---

"I suppose I should arrange for transportation to the job interview. Please hire me a vehicle, perhaps using the same service as the one that brought me here today. What time do you think I should have them arrive so I get to the interview on time?"

Too bad I can't find out what a financier does these days.

Do you think I need to rush to get a job? I have money.

You need access to a lab so we might someday split.

Fine.

"I'll need some more clothes too. Purchase two more outfits like I'm wearing now. The details should be available from the hospital if you don't have my measurements already. Vary the shirt though. White is nice but having one in a pale teal and another in a light pink would be good."

"Oh, and I apparently need a purse to carry you around in. Can you show me a selection of purses that you would fit into?" She activates her Binary suit. "It should not clash with my supersuit. But otherwise I suppose you can pick the color if you want."

You're treating that thing like Amanda.

So?

It doesn't want to be your friend.

It's an intelligence. It probably has feelings. I'm being nice to it and asking it's opinion when I can.

With the important stuff settled (assuming the drones have arrived), Jaina says to Amanda, "Can you show me recent public research papers in my area of expertise: Biochemistry and Nanotechnology. I have three Ph.D.s but I'm a couple centuries behind in my fields, I'm guessing. I suppose stat with the older papers if any exist."

Yawn.

(Yeah, that's a lot of stuff. I figure these conversations span an hour or two and I'm hoping not to bog us down in minutiae. Ultimately, she should have her drink, a couple sets of clothes, a purse, a big map, and then be curled up on the couch reading so she feels "current" during the job interview.)
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

jmucchiello wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:01 pm BINARY
Davies wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:13 pm "Yes, but nothing in your profile indicates that you would be able to pronounce it, as most of its tones are above the human auditory range," the tablet answers promptly. "Feel free to give me a nickname of your choosing. Approximately 40% of users do this, with an additional 35% using the name of our search function." It then displays a text message indicating that your appointment is at 9:30 AM tomorrow, with the location of the appointment highlighted.
"Okay," she says. "f you don't mind, I'll call you Amanda. Amanda was my personal assistant long ago and she was fabulous at her job."

Ah, Amanda. She was hot.

I hadn't noticed.

I'm in your head, you noticed.

With the number of images of her I could see in your head of her tits and ass, of course I noticed.

The source of those images were not always my head.

"Can you communicate with the kitchen? If so, I'd like a hot cup of Tanna if that's possible." (If not, she goes to the kitchen and talks to the devices in there.)

(If it happens) She goes into the kitchen and fetches the cup, returning to the living room. As she sees the "window", she asks, "This window, can it display anything? I'd like to see a map of Pacifica maybe centered on this apartment building. Add highlights for General Hospital and the Job Placement facility. Labels on the major streets would be nice, too. I'm able to fly so I will need to learn my way around the city. I figure if I see this map often enough and as big as a wall, I'll start to remember it. Maybe add additional labels for any places you think is important to know about."

This does taste good.

(If she sees that there's an upper and lower city, she will ask about it, and presumably get the information the other half of the team got.)

---

"I suppose I should arrange for transportation to the job interview. Please hire me a vehicle, perhaps using the same service as the one that brought me here today. What time do you think I should have them arrive so I get to the interview on time?"

Too bad I can't find out what a financier does these days.

Do you think I need to rush to get a job? I have money.

You need access to a lab so we might someday split.

Fine.

"I'll need some more clothes too. Purchase two more outfits like I'm wearing now. The details should be available from the hospital if you don't have my measurements already. Vary the shirt though. White is nice but having one in a pale teal and another in a light pink would be good."

"Oh, and I apparently need a purse to carry you around in. Can you show me a selection of purses that you would fit into?" She activates her Binary suit. "It should not clash with my supersuit. But otherwise I suppose you can pick the color if you want."

You're treating that thing like Amanda.

So?

It doesn't want to be your friend.

It's an intelligence. It probably has feelings. I'm being nice to it and asking it's opinion when I can.

With the important stuff settled (assuming the drones have arrived), Jaina says to Amanda, "Can you show me recent public research papers in my area of expertise: Biochemistry and Nanotechnology. I have three Ph.D.s but I'm a couple centuries behind in my fields, I'm guessing. I suppose stat with the older papers if any exist."

Yawn.

(Yeah, that's a lot of stuff. I figure these conversations span an hour or two and I'm hoping not to bog us down in minutiae. Ultimately, she should have her drink, a couple sets of clothes, a purse, a big map, and then be curled up on the couch reading so she feels "current" during the job interview.)
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

"Genevieve Kazan. Feeling a little underdressed right now, but this is all I have aside from a brand new suit."

Genevieve looks down at her tank top and shorts, and back up at everyone's nice clothes, and smiles with a bit of embarrassment. "I used to work in security and public relations, but all of my knowledge is way out of date by now, so I'm probably going to be going back to school, and... well, I guess that's about it! Nice to meet you both." She sits down and waits for a moment to see if Cornelia and Gregory go back to their conversation.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Peacekeeper:
RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:19 am"Genevieve Kazan. Feeling a little underdressed right now, but this is all I have aside from a brand new suit."
"Oh, don't worry about it," Cornelia answers, smiling warmly. "One of the guys who used to board with us would only ever wear his superhero suit, complete with cowl-mask, on the rare occasions that he came out of his room. Shorts and shirt is completely normal by comparison."

"I suspect that's not actually as comforting as you intended it to sound, Cornelia," Gregory comments with a shake of his head.
RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:19 amGenevieve looks down at her tank top and shorts, and back up at everyone's nice clothes, and smiles with a bit of embarrassment. "I used to work in security and public relations, but all of my knowledge is way out of date by now, so I'm probably going to be going back to school, and... well, I guess that's about it! Nice to meet you both." She sits down and waits for a moment to see if Cornelia and Gregory go back to their conversation.
Before they can, and indeed before they can offer any reaction to your greeting, two more people arrive from the direction of the lounge. One of them is a lady of somewhat advanced years, who only glances in your direction before taking her seat at the head of the table, then regarding everyone present with a look of profound, regal disappointment.

The other is a man in a suit and tie, slightly younger looking than Gregory and with a face that naturally comes up in a smirk. "Ah, the new residents," he says, approaching Genevieve's chair. "Harry Angell, pleased to meet you! And you as --" he adds, looking over at Billie, and then breaking off. "Are you a man or a woman?" he abruptly asks.

"What answer will make you go away and never bother me again?" Billie replies promptly.

Before anyone can really react to that, Elisabeth appears from the lounge as well. "Jonathan will not be joining us for dinner this evening," she announces. "Mrs. Butler, these are the new tenants --" she starts to explain.

The lady at the head of the table interrupts, revealing herself to be the woman you heard shouting earlier. "My goodness, and here I was under the impression that they were here to rob the place. Sit down, girl. And you as well, Angell." As they do so -- Harry Angell sitting down beside Genevieve and Elisabeth taking the chair at the other end of the table -- Mrs. Butler's gaze rests on Genevieve and Billie. "I am Gloria Andrews Butler. Be welcome in my home."
Mrs. Butler:

Harry Angell:
Last edited by Davies on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Binary:
jmucchiello wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:01 pm "Okay," she says. "f you don't mind, I'll call you Amanda. Amanda was my personal assistant long ago and she was fabulous at her job."
"I will now respond to the name Amanda," the tablet replies -- and is it your imagination or does the voice sound more female, now?
jmucchiello wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:01 pm"Can you communicate with the kitchen? If so, I'd like a hot cup of Tanna if that's possible."
"Done."
She goes into the kitchen and fetches the cup, returning to the living room. As she sees the "window", she asks, "This window, can it display anything?
"No, only the outside view of the tower, but the projector on the wall can display such a map as a hologram." It promptly does so, labeling the hospital, the Department of Employment -- in a building labeled Government Center -- the Ultimate Encyclopedia, the Eternia Gateway, as well as street names -- with various names on the east/west axis, and numbers on the north/south axis. It's a fairly typical grid system. It also expands to show that the distinction between the upper and lower cities, with no labels on anything in the lower area.
jmucchiello wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:01 pm "I suppose I should arrange for transportation to the job interview. Please hire me a vehicle, perhaps using the same service as the one that brought me here today. What time do you think I should have them arrive so I get to the interview on time?"
"Allowing for typical traffic patterns at that time of the day, you should expect to spend fifteen minutes in transit. I would recommend that you book their arrival at this location at 9:10 tomorrow morning, but you may wish to be more cautious."
jmucchiello wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:01 pm "I'll need some more clothes too. Purchase two more outfits like I'm wearing now. The details should be available from the hospital if you don't have my measurements already. Vary the shirt though. White is nice but having one in a pale teal and another in a light pink would be good."

A selection of outfits matching your requests are projected as holograms in front of you, as well as a selection of bags that seem appropriate. (They mostly resemble this, with shoulder straps.) "I cannot make purchases for you, as you must indicate your acceptance of any transaction by pressing your thumb to the tablet's surface," the device replies apologetically. "Please do not attempt to give me the legal authority to make purchases on your behalf, as this is a misdemeanor."
jmucchiello wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:01 pm With the important stuff settled (assuming the drones have arrived), Jaina says to Amanda, "Can you show me recent public research papers in my area of expertise: Biochemistry and Nanotechnology. I have three Ph.D.s but I'm a couple centuries behind in my fields, I'm guessing. I suppose stat with the older papers if any exist."
It proceeds to do so, even translating them into English. You promptly find yourself feeling like Isaac Newton reading a discussion on superconductors.
Expertise: "Science" check to figure out what they're about. DC is secret.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Freebird:
Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 pm
"I will ask my tablet to call you if there's anything official that comes up and please call me if there's any house group stuff or if you'd like to arrange the Hamilton Opera viewing - you, me, others, however that works."
Spectrum gives you a thumbs up and goes.
Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 pm Marcus will pick up his tablet and start exploring options. He'll enable voice commands if needed. "First, we've got to give you a name. Change your unit designation to.... 'Janet' and change the designation of my apartment to 'The Good Place'. You and I are going to architect some amazing things."

He sets Janet's voice to female, chipper and ready to help. He next spends some time figuring out how to integrate his tablet with his headphones and suit - no use carrying more things than he had to. If it was just as easy as 'Blue tooth' pairing of devices, cool. He'd still have to carry the screen if he wanted to see stuff but maybe it could be mounted on a forearm or display through the night vision goggles and commlink embedded in his suit. (He doubted he had what he needed to make a wrist-mounted holographic display a-la Cortana, but he does what he can with what he has.)
technology: 1d20+13 30 And apparently does well.
It turns out to be even easier than you thought, as the tablet is already set up to project images through any available projector. Causing it to transmit its data to your commlink is just a matter of matching frequencies. The HUD is a little more in your face than you'd probably prefer, but it's workable. The tablet even makes some helpful suggestions, such as carrying it in a backpack rather than a shoulder bag.
Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:14 pm First checking when his job appt is and seeing how long he could push it out to - he wanted a day or so at least to get his bearings. Next he'd check if there was a registry of everyone awakened and living in this city or anywhere to see if there were any names he knew. He imagined this was a common thing that newbs did and there would probably be 'clouds' devoted to that. He was 8 when he realized not everyone could perfectly recall the names and faces of everyone they'd ever met. Even then he tried not to make a big deal of it and he was 10 before anyone even found out about it. He puts it to use now trying to find any celebrities he'd be interested in but, more importantly, anyone he knew personally from his time either as a musician or in the Resistance.
Your job appointment is set for 1:30 tomorrow, but, as you were told, they are more than happy to reschedule it for up a week from now. There is no registry, but you are able to track down a few people who have become active in the present day.
Make up four super-powered/device-enabled people from the Resistance. One of them is a teacher at the local university, one of them publishes an online journal, one of them works in the entertainment sector, and one of them is still a patient at the hospital. You get to assign their identities and details.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY
Davies wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:51 pm "No, only the outside view of the tower, but the projector on the wall can display such a map as a hologram." It promptly does so, labeling the hospital, the Department of Employment -- in a building labeled Government Center -- the Ultimate Encyclopedia, the Eternia Gateway, as well as street names -- with various names on the east/west axis, and numbers on the north/south axis. It's a fairly typical grid system. It also expands to show that the distinction between the upper and lower cities, with no labels on anything in the lower area.
"Oh, if you know where the other three people I awoke with Marcus, BIllie, and Genevieve were relocated, please indicate that on the map"

(Jaina also asks about the upper and lower city as this is her first time hearing about it. I'll assume the info is the same as when the other heard on their ride to the lower city.)
"Allowing for typical traffic patterns at that time of the day, you should expect to spend fifteen minutes in transit. I would recommend that you book their arrival at this location at 9:10 tomorrow morning, but you may wish to be more cautious."
"9:00 then. I like to be early. I suppose I'll need a wake alarm of around 8:00 then as well."
A selection of outfits matching your requests are projected as holograms in front of you, as well as a selection of bags that seem appropriate. (They mostly resemble this, with shoulder straps.) "I cannot make purchases for you, as you must indicate your acceptance of any transaction by pressing your thumb to the tablet's surface," the device replies apologetically. "Please do not attempt to give me the legal authority to make purchases on your behalf, as this is a misdemeanor."
"I'm not asking but I'll bet there's an interesting story about why giving one's servant purchasing power is illegal," she comments as she gives her physical authorization for the purchases.
It proceeds to do so, even translating them into English. You promptly find yourself feeling like Isaac Newton reading a discussion on superconductors.

Expertise: "Science" check to figure out what they're about. DC is secret.
(Jaina has Expertise: Nanotechnology and biochemisty as well as Technology all at +8. Also, keep in mind, she said to start with the older papers (closer to her era) first.
expertise: 1d20+8 22
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper
Davies wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:23 pm Before anyone can really react to that, Elisabeth appears from the lounge as well. "Jonathan will not be joining us for dinner this evening," she announces. "Mrs. Butler, these are the new tenants --" she starts to explain.

The lady at the head of the table interrupts, revealing herself to be the woman you heard shouting earlier. "My goodness, and here I was under the impression that they were here to rob the place. Sit down, girl. And you as well, Angell." As they do so -- Harry Angell sitting down beside Genevieve and Elisabeth taking the chair at the other end of the table -- Mrs. Butler's gaze rests on Genevieve and Billie. "I am Gloria Andrews Butler. Be welcome in my home."
"Thank you, Mrs. Butler," Genevieve says. "You have a lovely house." Elisabeth already demonstrated how to to act around Mrs. Butler: be polite, be calm, and take any outbursts in stride.

She doesn't say anything more. Mrs. Butler almost certainly knows who she is, already, so another introduction would be redundant. She just sits back and starts to get a feel for the social dynamics at play here. Harry Angell, obviously, is not going to get along with Billie. She gets the feeling he probably doesn't get along with a lot of people.
Read the mood: 1d20+8 24 An Awareness/Insight check, in case it becomes relevant.