[IC] To Live ... [2]: Last Night I Went To Manderley Again

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: [IC] To Live ... [2]: Last Night I Went To Manderley Again

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus raises a tentative hand just now realizing a question that he should've asked the Ghost Chasers sooner.

"Umm.... What risk is there to the Watchers of things like possession, harm, or even just picking up persistent negative vibes from this experience?" he asks.
"Something pithy this way comes."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

Genevieve gives the maid her jacket. She watches the exorcist float down from the chandelier with some surprise: she wasn't expecting him to be quite so overtly paranormal. Then again, it might just be par for the course in Pacifica. Everything floats here. She smiles.

"Oh, I have a question!" she says if there's enough space in between questions for her to get one in herself. "Have you heard that the Pacifica general hospital is doing, um, soul stuff? Do you think they're actually attracting ghosts, somehow?"

It's a tremendously blunt question, she knows, so she dresses it up in the most innocent, wide-eyed body language she can muster.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:34 pm"Umm.... What risk is there to the Watchers of things like possession, harm, or even just picking up persistent negative vibes from this experience?" [Marcus] asks.
This produces a bit of hub-bub from the rest of the crowd, but Sandestin is unperturbed. "A wise and considerate question, to which I can only answer that we are all of us, at all times, at the mercy of powers unseen and unknown. Yet I shall do all in my power to ensure that any ill-will of the spirits falls entirely on myself," he answers, with a firm nod.
RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:30 pm"Oh, I have a question!" [Genevieve] says if there's enough space in between questions for her to get one in herself. "Have you heard that the Pacifica general hospital is doing, um, soul stuff? Do you think they're actually attracting ghosts, somehow?"
"I have indeed heard that rumor. I have not yet had the opportunity to investigate whether there is any truth to it," the mystic answers. "This may be a matter for the future. I do not think that such influence has anything to do with the incidents in this place, as it is far removed from the hospital, and much older, as well. But I am prepared to be proven wrong in that estimation."

"Question," asks Diego Delgado, who has spent a few moments in quiet consultation with Darla. "Where'd you buy your grav-belt? It's got a very low emission rating. Hard to detect."

Sandestin stares at him, then calmly answers, "A critic is one who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing. That will be all, then. Vatheka, attend me."

With that last command, the young woman who has been standing by the stairs comes forward to support him as he awkwardly makes his way towards the stairs, and then up them. It's fairly clear that he walks only with considerable difficulty.

Luaru gives a polite cough to draw your attention back to her. "While Mr. Sandestin is making his preparations, I'll be happy to give all of you a brief tour of the two lower levels of the mansion, and then offer a small evening meal before the actual ... ceremony," she concludes after a moment of consideration.

Inquisitor: You're not seeing any real tells in Sandestin's behavior, nothing to suggest that he isn't being completely sincere. That said, he is clearly someone with a lot of experience making public addresses like this, and had lots of time to prepare and anticipate the sort of questions he might be asked.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
EpicEclipse

Re: [IC] To Live ... [1]: The Sun, The Rain, And The Appleseed

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Vee frowns a little. Something about the man had made her itch. The flashy outfit, the grand introduction and his ostentatious manner in seemingly everything about this encounter. Made her think he was trying to distract them from noticing something, but somehow under all of it, Vee could detect some note of sincerity. Maybe it wasn't about distracting them, and it was just a part of his personality to be flashy and grandiose.

Suspicion sated and appeased for the moment, Vee watches Sandestin leave then looks to make sure she hasn't strayed too far from Genevieve or Liza before the group sets off for the tour.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Davies wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:25 am Luaru gives a polite cough to draw your attention back to her. "While Mr. Sandestin is making his preparations, I'll be happy to give all of you a brief tour of the two lower levels of the mansion, and then offer a small evening meal before the actual ... ceremony," she concludes after a moment of consideration.
Marcus looked up from his instrument at Diego's question. It was then he realized he wasn't overall sure if the Ghost Chasers were skeptics or believers; or may one brother was the 'prove-it-too-me' type and the other was a 'truth-is-out-there' type. Whatever it was, today should be interesting!

"Luaru, can you also give a brief history on this place and notable supernatural encounters here?" Marcus asks. "Also, how many ghosts are we dealing with?"
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper
EpicEclipse wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:21 pm Suspicion sated and appeased for the moment, Vee watches Sandestin leave then looks to make sure she hasn't strayed too far from Genevieve or Liza before the group sets off for the tour.
Genevieve waits for Vee to get closer before she starts following the others.

"I still don't know very much about you," she says casually. The blonde mystery woman hadn't been very outgoing at the hospital, but a lot could change in a week. She leaves the statement at that, not pushing any further.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Flynnarrel wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:03 pm"Luaru, can you also give a brief history on this place and notable supernatural encounters here?" Marcus asks. "Also, how many ghosts are we dealing with?"
The lady coughs again. "I hope you'll understand why the official policy of our family is that, no matter what Mr. Sandestin might claim, there are no ghosts. As he said, we're prepared to proven wrong about this, but until that happens, we do not acknowledge any supernatural phenomena as having happened." She gets a bit less formal after this statement. "Speaking only for myself, I have never witnessed anything inexplicable, and ... without casting any aspersions on anyone who has ... I have often noted a certain correlation between their degree of inebriation and the strangeness that they witnessed."

"My parents are among those witnesses," interjects Yukika. "They both saw the ghost of Lady Aitchek, right there, just before they left here two weeks ago." She points up towards a spot on the balcony, where no one is presently standing. As far as you can see (or sense, in Genevieve's case).

"The Akahiro daughter," Luaru says, acknowledging one of her peers with a polite half-bow. "I can only repeat myself, they had both partaken a fair amount at dinner that evening, and the possibility that this led them to imagine something can't be denied."

Yukika looks ill-pleased with that comment.

"Moving on to other, more pleasant matters," Luaru continues, now smiling. "The house -- whose official name is Daneden -- was constructed in 3018 by Horus Aitchek, a Martian entrepreneur who was the first individual to attempt to reclaim this area of Earth for civilization. While he was able to complete the building within a year, Daneden was supposed to be the center of a large community, which unfortunately failed to prosper. As such, it became simply the summer residence of the Aitchek family, with their Mannholm manor serving as their winter residence. The main family of the Aitcheks is, of course, extinct now, and ownership of this property has passed into the hands of my husband, Mr. Agarabbe. To our left is the family lounge. Walk this way please," she says, and heads in that direction.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Peacekeeper
"I still don't know very much about you,"
Vee looks over. No, she hadn't been very forthcoming about herself, though, it wasn't so much about being secretive than trouble expressing herself outwardly. "I...suppose not...though, there isn't a lot to know." she says modestly, and honestly with a light shrug. "Um....what, did you want to know..?" the question came out awkwardly, not as though she didn't want to share, more just lack of confidence or experience in this kind of conversation.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper
EpicEclipse wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:53 am Vee looks over. No, she hadn't been very forthcoming about herself, though, it wasn't so much about being secretive than trouble expressing herself outwardly. "I...suppose not...though, there isn't a lot to know." she says modestly, and honestly with a light shrug. "Um....what, did you want to know..?" the question came out awkwardly, not as though she didn't want to share, more just lack of confidence or experience in this kind of conversation.
"Well, that doctor--Emiri, I think her name was?--she said you had some kind of language talent. What's that about?"

Yukika comes from money, she notes to herself. Or at least the sort of family that visits with painters and wealthy land-owners. She might be able to make some nice contacts tonight.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Keeping her eyes forward and following the others, if not entirely paying attention to what they are saying, but not wanting to interrupt, Vee talks in a soft voice to Genevieve. She would just do the telepathy thing, but better to warn her about it first.

"I'm a telepath.. but only by touching someone. Part of it is I can understand any language known by anyone I am touching, including being able to speak it, at least as fluently as they can."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus aims the M-FAWCS at the spot the spirit was said to have manifested to try to pick up any residual EM fields.
I could stat out the device and roll for Inventor or it can just be a plot device for you Davies. Let me know which you'd like.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

Genevieve thinks of what Vee said earlier, about being a failed experiment, and the pieces fit together. "You're from that psychic facility, aren't you?" she asks quietly. "The one the Resistance hit. I heard rumors about it, but... I didn't ask too many questions." She looks away. "I was pretty good at not asking questions," she says in an even softer tone of voice, to herself as much as to Vee.
Davies

Post by Davies »

For now, we'll just treat it as a plot device, since --
Freebird: The scanner doesn't pick up anything.

"Not surprising," says Darla, very sotto voce. "That was probably weeks ago."

All: You make your way into the lounge, a brightly lit room with many comfortable chairs, walls lined with shelves on which trophies and awards are carefully placed, and a rather large painting mounted on the far wall that a sour-faced woman is dusting. The painting is of a red-haired woman wearing a white fur coat over a black leather bodysuit.

"And here we can seeeeeee --" Luaru's narration trails off as she too catches sight of the painting. "Mrs. Oberith -- I believe you were asked to take this down and put it in storage before our guests arrived."

The sour-faced woman turns to regard the assembled group with a look of complete contempt, makes a 'hmph!' noise, then goes back to her dusting.

"Ahem. This is Mrs. Oberith, Daneden's chief administrator," Luaru continues after a moment. "And this is a painting of the late Lady Aitchek."

"A remarkably poor likeness," says Mrs. Oberith, without looking back. "It captures not one-tenth of her beauty. And is yet still more worthy to be seen than certain faces." Perhaps momentarily satisfied with her dusting, she turns to regard you once again, and declares, very calmly, "You all engaged in idiocy."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus chuckles. "Wouldn't be the first time Mrs. Oberith."

He looks at the painting. "She's certainly rocking a classic super a... person look." he observes. He almost said 'villain' but chose not to antagonize the somewhat fanatical administrator.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

Mrs. Oberith may not care for the painting, but Lady Aitchek still looks like a very beautiful woman to Genevieve. She thinks better of saying so out loud, though. The tension between Luaru and Mrs. Oberith is almost painful, and she has no interest in taking sides. Not yet, at least.

Besides, even under the best of circumstances, no one wants to be told how beautiful her husband's ex-wife was.