[IC] To Live ... [2]: Last Night I Went To Manderley Again

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: [IC] To Live ... [1]: The Sun, The Rain, And The Appleseed

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

"Sh-shopping....?" Vee looked like she would rather bare hand wrestle a bear, after all, she was a young child when she was taken, so never did all the things she might have had she been a normal teenager.

She looks to Jaina worriedly.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

"I'm sure we won't be leaving to do this shopping," Jaina says reassuringly. "I suppose you select it right on the tablet and it gets delivered, probably by what we would call a drone." She turns to Altera and says, "Still, these devices seem a bit big and not every carries a purse, do they?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus was taken aback to be recognized and fanned at.

It had been quite a while since he’d been recognized by strangers. And even then it was not a huge fan base that dwindled with every ‘official proclamation’. With the Resistance he was considered a ‘sensitive asset’ and was ‘asked’ to maintain a low profile. AKA practically locked in the lab churning out designs and prototypes.

Amazed seconds passed while Marcus processes the moment. “Uh. Hi. Sorry. Wasn’t expecting to be anyone’s study topic.” He says with more awe than anything.

He remembers himself and returns the bow. “Spectrum has been filling me in on changes in music styles so I’m prepared if you say your jam is, like, the Tribal Reggae Fugelhorn or somethind so, what kind of music are into, Menges?” He asks.
"Something pithy this way comes."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

Oops. That must be dinner.

"Comiiiing!" Genevieve calls out. She checks her hair briefly in the bathroom mirror, adjusts her tank top, and then bounces over to the door and opens it with a bright smile on her face. Time to meet the rest of the neighbors.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Binary, Inquisitor:
EpicEclipse wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:34 pm"Sh-shopping....?" Vee looked like she would rather bare hand wrestle a bear, after all, she was a young child when she was taken, so never did all the things she might have had she been a normal teenager.

She looks to Jaina worriedly.
jmucchiello wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:03 pm "I'm sure we won't be leaving to do this shopping," Jaina says reassuringly. "I suppose you select it right on the tablet and it gets delivered, probably by what we would call a drone."

"Mm-hm, mm-hm," says Altera, nodding. "But never call them a drone unless you want late deliveries for the rest of your life."
jmucchiello wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:03 pmShe turns to Altera and says, "Still, these devices seem a bit big and not every carries a purse, do they?"
"... no, pretty much everyone does," she replies, faintly mystified at the idea of not doing so. "I mean, not while you're on the job, but, the rest of the time, yes."

Freebird:
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:08 pmSpectrum has been filling me in on changes in music styles so I’m prepared if you say your jam is, like, the Tribal Reggae Fugelhorn or somethind so, what kind of music are into, Menges?” He asks.
"I play bells," he answers. "Perhaps we should jam, sometime. Good even." With another bow, he slides past you and Spectrum, on his way to the back door.

Without another word, Spectrum guides you up to a door that clicks as you approach it. "And here we are," she says, opening the door. The room beyond is reasonably spacious, with a bed in one corner, a table and chair (much like those in Spectrum's room) in one corner, and a display attached to one wall. Your tablet rests on the table. There's also a small freezer with what looks like a microwave oven on top of it.

"Fair warning, the food synthesizer in this room has been known to brown out," Spectrum says, gesturing towards the 'microwave oven'. "I was planning to get a tech out to look at it, but the front door went on the fritz before I could."

Peacekeeper:

"Ready to go figure out where the dining hall's located?" asks Billie, trench coat conspicuous by its absence.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Oh?" he says. "How long might that take?" He asks, not really wanting to do the work himself but sounding non-plussed about it. There were plenty of things that didn't work in the underground living spaces he shared with others.

"I'll probably need lessons on how these things work. Are there any instructional videos?" He asks gesturing toward the tablet.

"I wanted to ask something else, too. I understand newly awakened people have trouble sleeping their first few nights. Is there some place I can get something to help me sleep? And with the job interview tomorrow maybe something to help me be fully awake?"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY
Davies wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:53 pm "But never call them a drone unless you want late deliveries for the rest of your life."
"Drone is bad? Oh, are they artificial intelligences? Assuming that term is not also bad," she says. "I suppose the vehicle that brought us here was also an AI. What should we call them?"
"... no, pretty much everyone does," she replies, faintly mystified at the idea of not doing so. "I mean, not while you're on the job, but, the rest of the time, yes."
"Oh, what kind of job do you have?" she asks
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Vee visibly relaxes when it's confirmed she wouldn't have to go to some shopping centre with throngs of people all over. Shopping via the tablet seems much more palatable. For now she continues to let Jaina lead the conversation and listens.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Binary, Inquisitor:
jmucchiello wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:47 am "Drone is bad? Oh, are they artificial intelligences? Assuming that term is not also bad," she says. "I suppose the vehicle that brought us here was also an AI. What should we call them?"
"Well, it might be better if you hear it right from their own mouths. Hey, Centillion?" she asks, pitching her voice towards the tablet on the table. "What do you think about being called an artificial intelligence?"

"I would consider that a term without meaning, as all life is artificial in that it is created by other life, in one way or another," answers the tablet. "The distinction between a sapient life form created by biological processes and one created through non-biological ones is not as great as the distinction between sapient and non-sapient life." A beat. "We generally prefer to be referred to as 'servants', when there is need to refer to us as a group."

"And there you have it," says Altera. "Pretty much anything you see moving on its own is operated by a servant."
jmucchiello wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:47 am"Oh, what kind of job do you have?" she asks
Her face gets a bit sad. "I work for my parents, registered as a professional caregiver for my younger sister. The two of us moved here when it became apparent that she was going to need medical treatment for the rest of her life. Best hospital on the planet."

Freebird:
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:40 pm "Oh?" he says. "How long might that take?" He asks, not really wanting to do the work himself but sounding non-plussed about it. There were plenty of things that didn't work in the underground living spaces he shared with others.
"Well, I put it off because I didn't know how long it was going to be before we had someone moving in here, buuuuuut ... call it a couple of days. It should work, most of the time, and if it doesn't, you're welcome to make use of mine," Spectrum offers.
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:40 pm "I'll probably need lessons on how these things work. Are there any instructional videos?" He asks gesturing toward the tablet.
"Nope, but it's really user-friendly. Again, I'd be happy to walk you through it -- anything is better than filling out forms."
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:40 pm "I wanted to ask something else, too. I understand newly awakened people have trouble sleeping their first few nights. Is there some place I can get something to help me sleep? And with the job interview tomorrow maybe something to help me be fully awake?"
She blinks. Then she stares. Then a very sad smile spreads across her face. "Ohhhhhh," Spectrum says. "You want drugs." She reaches out and pats you on the shoulder. "You're out of luck, chuck. Seriously, I think there's one guy in this whole city who imports alcohol from one of the outlands where it's still being manufactured, and anything else ... yeah, no."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper
Davies wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:53 pm "Ready to go figure out where the dining hall's located?" asks Billie, trench coat conspicuous by its absence.
"All set!"

Genevieve closes the door behind her and takes a second to make sure it's locked, even though she has nothing to steal but the clothes on her back and the furnishings that were there when she entered the room. "It's probably downstairs somewhere."

As she starts to explore the manor, Genevieve thinks about taking this opportunity of being alone with Billie to ask them about their powers, or their career back in the 21st century. It feels invasive, though. If they wanted to talk about their past, they would. Better to focus on the future.

Big day tomorrow!" she says. "Any hopes for the interview? Any dream jobs?"
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:50 amBig day tomorrow!" she says. "Any hopes for the interview? Any dream jobs?"
"I rescheduled mine for later in the week," Billie admits as you head down the staircase together. "I want to take a few days to really let all this sink in, and maybe start trying to find out if the rest of my family are here or not."

When you reach the bottom of the stairs, Billie looks across the foyer towards the hallway opposite the front door. "Stands to reason," they say, and head that way. Because you are paying more attention to your surroundings, you happen to notice Elisabeth walking across the upper level towards 'your' hallway, with a serious expression on her face.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

"You asked about someone in your family in the car, didn't you?" Genevieve asks. She looks up when she detects movement on the floor above, and she waves to Elisabeth.

"Hiii!" she sings. If Elisabeth looks down, Genevieve points in the direction Billie is walking. "This way?"

The manager doesn't look very happy, Genevieve notes. Maybe something to do with their silent neighbor. The smile on her face remains pleasant and vapid, however.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus just nods when he hears about the lack of processed drugs.

"Well, I'll just have to get by on this new-body smell." he smiles holding his forearm to his nose. Seriously though, Marcus was going to have to find a historical botanist. These people were missing a lot if they didn't at least have herbals.

"But... Is there anything like calming herbal teas? Chamomile? Lavender?"
Davies

Post by Davies »

Peacekeeper:
RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:39 am She looks up when she detects movement on the floor above, and she waves to Elisabeth."Hiii!" she sings. If Elisabeth looks down, Genevieve points in the direction Billie is walking. "This way?"
Elisabeth pauses and answers your smile with (a somewhat forced) one of her own. "Yes, that way, then to your right." She then proceeds on her way to the hallway on the floor above.

Billie comes back to the entrance at the sound of Elisabeth's voice, but doesn't get there before she's out of sight. They let out a sigh, and then retrace their steps back through the hallway.

"My dad," Billie belatedly answers Genevieve's question. "I tried looking him up online, but all I got was a capsule biography of his life back then, no indication whether he's here or not. Nor anything about my mom, or either of my sisters."

You emerge from the hallway in a lounge, with shelves covered in books, comfortable chairs and a billiards table in one corner. There's an open door on the right side that leads into what looks like a dining hall.

"I mean, there's not much chance that Ada would be here, or Carla, either, but I kind of hoped ..." Billie trails off. "I'm not sure what I hoped," they admit.

Freebird:
Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:38 am "But... Is there anything like calming herbal teas? Chamomile? Lavender?"
"Oh, sure, you can get those out of the synthesizer," Spectrum answers reassuringly. She reaches out to touch the side of the oven. "Tea, chamomile, hot," she says, then opens the front door of the device to reveal a teacup, which she promptly hands to you. It does indeed have the appropriate scent.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus cradles the warm cup up to his nose; the smell was right but he remained uncertain. "Not... quite what I'm used to."

He sips. "Tastes right. But there's more than just flavors involved... Do you know of anyone who grows an herb garden that I might get fresh plants for teas and such? Or maybe I could start a garden here to grow stuff?"

"I'm not knocking your Star Fleet tech, it's amazing." he adds quickly. "I just like that 'home cooking' kinda feel to my food once in a while."