[IC] To Live ... [2]: Last Night I Went To Manderley Again

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: [IC] To Live ... [1]: The Sun, The Rain, And The Appleseed

Post by Flynnarrel »

"I don't know their language.... So what do we call you? Authority Barbie?" Marcus asks. "Now with more populous oppressing action." he mutters.
"Something pithy this way comes."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

"Ow. If that wasn't coming from an arms dealer it might actually hurt."

She raises her arm a bit and waves. "Genevieve," she says. "Super-nice meeting you all."
Davies

Post by Davies »

All:

Before you can really start shouting at each other, the door to the lecture room opens and the doctor who treated each of you enters briskly. Without saying anything, she walks to the table at the head of the room, and sets down a device that vaguely resembles a pair of speakers. After a quick adjustment, she begins to speak quietly in the unknown language ... while a voice similar to hers, speaking English, issues a bit more loudly from the speakers.

"Good afternoon," the speakers say. "I'm sure that you have many questions, and I'm going to try to answer them all with the help of this translator unit. I apologize that my command of the language English is not as perfect as will be needed for this. To begin with, let us address the who, where, when, what, and why.

"Who: My name is Dr. Emiri Masuto, and I'm the chief of the Resuscitative Medicine department here at this hospital.

"Where: You are in the General Hospital of the city of Pacifica, built at the approximate location of the settlement you knew as Emerald City.

"When: It is, by the Gregorian calendar, Tuesday, March 11 of the year 3287."

Here she pauses, to give you a chance to react. Jack is just nodding, as though he'd already guessed this.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

"I'm sure the 'how' might be over our heads, though I hope you will elucidate us at some point. But the 'why'." Binary says. "Why were we revived?"

We died.

So it seems.

I told you being a super would get us killed.

You're just unhappy because I get to control Binary.

Don't start that argument again. I wonder if the company still exists.

Really? 1200 years went by and we don't speak the local language and you're worry about the company?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Victoria had sat taciturn as the other spoke, just listening, learning. She still felt tired from waking up and wasn't feeling too up to socializing. She hadn't heard of this Rocket guy, much less the others, and she doubted they'd ever heard of her. She hadn't been a cape, or even a trenchcoat. She's not sure if they had a term really for what she was. Fortunately, she was saved from getting too much additional attention by the doctor from before arriving.

Sitting up slowly as the doctor speaks, Victoria feels her breath hitch. "There's no way... you said 'temporary'.... twelve hundred years isn't... I mean... it is.... but..." she falls silent, her brain trying to process that she'd been 'dead' for twelve hundred years, yet was told she's alive. "This has to be some kind of dream... or something... maybe... my powers broke my mind... drove me mad." she mutters, more to herself as she starts to think the others may not actually be there, figments of a broken mind as she tries to rationalize.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper
Davies wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:23 am "When: It is, by the Gregorian calendar, Tuesday, March 11 of the year 3287."

Here she pauses, to give you a chance to react. Jack is just nodding, as though he'd already guessed this.
Genevieve freezes for just a moment, and then she nods too. This isn't the first time she's had to humor a crazy person in a position of power over her.
Davies

Post by Davies »

jmucchiello wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:38 am"I'm sure the 'how' might be over our heads, though I hope you will elucidate us at some point. But the 'why'." Binary says. "Why were we revived?"
The doctor nods. "In fact, the why is entangled with the how. As with much else, the story begins with the Centurion." Behind her, the screen displays an image of the first true superhero; while his fame, by the 2060s, has largely been eclipsed by that of his daughter, all of you recognize him.

"In the early 1960s, the Centurion, acting as a representative for the Freedom League, reached an arrangement with the extraterrestial group known as the Burial Society of Velella. Since time immemorial, this planet has served as a secure cemetery for individuals wishing to be assured that their dead will be undisturbed -- " There's a slight pause as she glances at Binary. "-- as well as acting as a more general long-term storage facility. The Burial Society agreed to take the remains of Earth's superheroes into custody, to prevent them from being pillaged by their enemies as trophies or as parts of villainous schemes. The Centurion himself, when he died in battle, was buried there."

Jack Rocket interrupts. "I can confirm this part of all this. My grand-dad and great-great-grand-dad were both taken to Velella when they passed. Damned if I know what all that has to do with this current craziness."

Emiri continues as though Jack hasn't spoken. (Again, Peacekeeper gets the feeling that she's following a script.) "In the mid 2020s, the Burial Society entered into a partnership with the Kinawa Financial Group, a Japanese corporation which had developed or acquired a novel technology." The screen changes to show a silver sphere, with a note above it declaring that the image is '3000 times actual size". "Their official title is 'psyche recorders', but they are often colloquially known as 'soul stones'. When implanted in a human being, these devices act to record and copy the psyche of their subject. They are relatively indestructible, and will generally survive any form of death that leaves an intact corpse.

"The Kinawa Group arranged for every individual they considered to be a super-hero to be implanted with one of these devices, without their knowledge. Their intention was to collect the psyche recorders of heroes who fell in battle, preserve them, and, when the technology to do so was available, restore them to life in cloned bodies." She lets out a small sigh. "Unfortunately, the technology did not become available before the Kinawa Financial Group was dissolved in 2112, and so the psyche recorders containing copies of the minds and souls of many of Earth's heroes were contained in a vault on Velella for more than one thousand one hundred years.

A logo you don't recognize appears on the screen. "Thirty years ago, the founder of this hospital discovered documentation making her the heir to all the Kinawa Financial Group's off-world holdings, including that vault. The psyche recorders thus came into our possession, and it was determined that we had an ethical and moral obligation to return these stored minds to bodies that were as close as possible to their original forms, just as we would for any other person who had suffered an injury that separated their psyche from their body. And so we have done so -- gradually, as this process is somewhat demanding in terms of our resources -- and you are the most recent beneficiaries of this project."

Emiri takes a deep breath. "We have created the world we hope you would have wished for us, and now invite you, our revered ancestors, to join us within it. Welcome to Pacifica." And she offers a very Japanese bow.
Last edited by Davies on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus stays quiet, absorbing the information. He nods a little, to himself.

"Cool." he says finally.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

They worked? Jacen thinks. I don't believe it.

"That is a fantastic story that I would not believe if I had not seen it myself," Binary says. "How many have you revived already? How many are left to be revived? And how can we possibly integrate with your society after so many years?"

What are you babbling about?

The Kinawa Group approached our father looking for partners for an impossible science endeavor -- a device to record the brain pattern of an individual at the moment of death so they could be restored later. I thought it was crazy but father could see military and first responder contracts being rather valuable. Imagine firefighters running into burning buildings would survive any catastrophe. Soldiers who lived after any battle. We had what amounted to about 500 shares of Kinawa in a non-voting partnership.

Why wasn't I involved?

You would not believe how many crazy schemes father invested in. I thought this was another one of his duds at the time.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

Genevieve shakes her head. "No. No, this--look, even if I believed the rest of your story, I'm not a--"

A good person

"--A superhero. I pretended to be, sometimes, so people would forget how bad things were, but that's not the same thing. It's just playing a role." She looks uncomfortable. "If there was really a company making a superhero collection, they'd know enough not to put me in it."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

"So... you're saying these aren't even our original bodies.... and that we did really die..." Victoria flinches slightly as if remembering something, such as her world suddenly consisting of nothing but white and an empty, silent humming of perforated eardrums, before shaking the memory away and continuing. "And that some organization in the past implanted people without their knowledge with these... little beads that downloaded their heads to be implanted... in replacement bodies?"

She shakes her head slowly like she still can't believe this. She knew she'd missed a dose of her medication before the mission because they were running low. She'd already felt the headaches coming on, but she didn't think madness would hit her so suddenly and not physically hurt. She actually couldn't remember when she last felt no pain at all.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

After hearing the other concerns continues her wall of questions.

"They have a point. You said you invite us to join you in the world you have made. That's a lovely sentiment." Binary says, "But what expectations will be placed on us?"

Stop, you're only antagonizing them.

Don't care. They may hold the cards but we can always walk away from the table.

Can we?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Can I make music?" Marcus asks. He didn't want to be left out of the whole demanding-for-information session.
Davies

Post by Davies »

jmucchiello wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:46 am "That is a fantastic story that I would not believe if I had not seen it myself," Binary says. "How many have you revived already? How many are left to be revived? And how can we possibly integrate with your society after so many years?"
"The hospital has revived four to six individuals every month for the past thirty years. I am not certain how many more there are, but I believe that it will be enough to keep us busy for several decades to come. As to integrating into our society, I should point out that many of you were not all that well-integrated into your original society. However --" she starts to say, but is interrupted by questions from the others.
EpicEclipse wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:36 pm "So... you're saying these aren't even our original bodies.... and that we did really die..." Victoria flinches slightly as if remembering something, such as her world suddenly consisting of nothing but white and an empty, silent humming of perforated eardrums, before shaking the memory away and continuing. "And that some organization in the past implanted people without their knowledge with these... little beads that downloaded their heads to be implanted... in replacement bodies?"
"Yes. I realize that this is a great deal to accept. What would constitute an acceptable proof, in your eyes?"
RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11 pm "If there was really a company making a superhero collection, they'd know enough not to put me in it."
"It would seem that at least one person disagreed with your self-assessment," Emiri answers. "As for ourselves, we do not judge those who existed under circumstances we cannot imagine."
Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:14 pm "Can I make music?" Marcus asks.
"Oh yes," the doctor replies, smiling warmly. "Many of your fellows have become involved in our entertainment enterprises. Music, in particular, crosses the language barrier that exists between the uptimers and the downtimers."
jmucchiello wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:46 pm"They have a point. You said you invite us to join you in the world you have made. That's a lovely sentiment." Binary says, "But what expectations will be placed on us?"
"Only those of every other resident of the city -- basic respect for your fellow citizens, and a willingness to work for one's income. I should actually move on to the practicalities of life here --"

"Wait," interrupts Jack, who's managed to get to his feet. "One more question. Kind of an important one. When do we get to go back?"

She blinks, clearly confused. "Go back? Go back where?"

"To the times and lives you took us from," he continues, voice starting to get a bit louder.

"... I think you must have misunderstood. Those lives are over. You cannot go ba--"

"No, you don't understand. I was going to get married. I have a life. I know there's such a thing as time travel, so send me back already," the speedster demands, now clearly angry.

"I'm very sorry, but time travel to the past is no longer possible. You cannot --" she starts to say.

Whatever she was about to say is lost as, faster than an eyeblink, Jack is standing in front of Emiri, his hands wrapped around her throat. "Send! Me! Back!" he says, somewhere between a snarl and a scream.
Initiative, please. You are all Impaired on all physical actions, and everyone except Peacekeeper is also Hindered. None of you who rely on equipment or devices have access to them.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY
Initiative: 1d20+3 9

(OOC: Binary has only one power without her tools. Immunity to mental powers. Totally useless in a fight.)