[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: New Foundations

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
User avatar
Supernaturalist
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Supernaturalist » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:42 pm

Iona
HP:0
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

How?! Iona does not react immediately. Her cerebral approach to things does not often lead to knee-jerk responses. Still this was serious business. Is he accessing the terminal via radio communication? That would be immediately detectable in here. Is he now able to access through some sort of new, exotic energy? If so, then fascinating.

The cyber-security alert coincides with a change in Peter's disposition. As the young cyborg watches Peter strain and grimace for seemingly no reason, she realizes that the brilliant engineer has been met with equally brilliant cyber-resistance.

Iona takes no further action at the current moment. She only waits for Peter to regain his composure from the frightful experience. When he has caught his breath and appears calm, she speaks. "I would have done the same thing, Peter. So, I hope that you do not take what I am about to say as moral condescension. But...you must not be allowed to stay. You have seen much already. Some I allowed, but other aspects of the Good Doctor's technology have been surveyed without my knowledge or permission. I'm sure Dr. Sokolov will be displeased with some of my efforts here. I shall answer for that when he returns."

Iona pauses to sigh. "I appreciate your work and help with Colonel Costa and the Ascension power-issue. I hope you will choose to return to Praetor Null or your teammates peacefully. It is not my wish to activate any elements of the security system. As for the entity called 'Reaper', she may stay in order to observe my treatment of Colonel Costa. I do not fear her subversive tampering with the Good Doctor's instruments."

Iona then pauses and awaits Peter's response.

EnigmaticOne
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by EnigmaticOne » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:20 pm

Peter Ezima
HP: 1

Peter exhaled and met Iona's gaze levelly. "Or that she might notice your subversion? For someone so diligent, you've distinctly neglected to actually sterilize the chambers when you cleaned them. And those biohazard containers - I have no doubt you are attempting to circumvent Null's decree that no samples be taken from Ascendants. Both of us have not been acting in good faith. Both of us have been caught. Therefore, I think we have to reach a compromise."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Vortex in Force OPs
Evan Roadbound in The Golden Wheel Turns
Peter Ezima in In the Shadow of Imperator

User avatar
Supernaturalist
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Supernaturalist » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Iona
HP:0
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

Iona had hoped that her efforts would go unnoticed, but now it is clear that is not the case. She pauses for a brief moment to regain her composure. Though she anticipated that things could go wrong, she is disappointed nonetheless. The tone of her voice is now very different from the congenial and diplomatic female who only recently cooperated closely with Peter.

"Compromise? Dr. Sokolov and I are already well behind Praetor Null and its newly-created minions. With the five of you representing the fingers of Null's 'fist', I'd say your side must go a long way in order to compromise. Add to that the fact that you've already inspected the Ascension-chamber and power-grid technology as well as probed the Good Doctor's internal and cyber-security software. Even that beast, Hitori, swears allegiance to Null. You are at a distinct advantage in power."

Iona begins to back away from both Peter and Reaper. Her demeanor appears decidedly more vigilant and anxious. "The sample-traces I have are small and much will be lost in trying to preserve them until analysis can be done. The technological gains to be made from them are uncertain as well. Most likely we will only gain a fundamental understanding of your nanite-structures. My master and I are still quite vulnerable to the new assets that Null wields. That you get to leave with your lives is my compromise. My offer remains unchanged."

With her back firmly against the far wall, she speaks one last series of words. "Security. Non-lethal. Assess, subdue, and remove any belligerents."

User avatar
Sakuro
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:43 am

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Sakuro » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:00 am

The road leading out of the city is bumper to bumper with cars. Off the street, traffic is mor normalized, but the exodus from the city is being handled with caution and thorough car by the private security forces. Diego can see armed men checking identification, and giving vehicles as reasonable inspection before allowing anyone to depart. The road is flanked by armored personnel carriers with vehicle mounted weapons and concrete barricades are in place to shore up possible opening in the security line that is formed.

"It wasn't easy getting you in the city without making waves. We won't be able to just drive out. I'll get IDed and your lack of identification will draw just as much bad attention."

Sander responded to Diego's query grimly. Presently she pulls your vehicle into the shadow of two buildings, within view of the rout route of Hadron City. The dark haired woman's eyes are looking around. Moving. Searching. Assessing all with a flowing smoothness that gives no hint of the issue of time that is hounding your group.

"I should be able to create a distraction though. Something that will draw Stronghold's eyes away long enough for the two of you to sneak your way out of the city on foot."
OOC wrote:From his assessment, Diego is able to take in the obvious and does not gain any special insights.

Sander's Expertise Military check isn't much better. However, I will give you a narrative option in the form of Tilly's plan. If she creates a distraction for Diego and Hitori it will succeed and you'll be able to get through the security with minimal risk. However Sander will not be able to rejoin you and you won't have access to her assistance once outside the city.
Iona gave her command and just as suddenly as if light had been turned on in a dark room Peter and Reaper could see four mechanized infantry. Robots with smooth white and black plating and a glossy black visor-like faceplate where a human's facial features would be. The four robots were standing at the far side of the room, opposite the door. In a rush of movement the ran ahead of Iona, taking up a V formation, and raised weapons to point at Reaper and Peter. Though they kept their weapons trained, they did not attack.

Image

Seconds after the humanoid robots had taken up their defensive formation in front of Iona, a portion of the ceiling opens up. Like a spiraling metal sphincter. From this hole in the ceiling descends a metal sphere about twice the size of a basket ball, and once it comes hovering into the center of the room, the ceiling-sphincter closes. Then the sphere began moving towards Peter with a steady slowness. If he moved, it moved with him, positioning and maneuvering to steer him towards the door leading out of the room.
Imperious in Rustdeity
Sky Guard in Gulf Coast Guardians
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator

EnigmaticOne
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by EnigmaticOne » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:00 am

Peter Ezima
HP: 1

Peter exhaled again. "So be it." He turned, nodded and walked out with the sphere. *Reaper, keep an eye on Iona at all times. Don't let her out of your sight.*
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Vortex in Force OPs
Evan Roadbound in The Golden Wheel Turns
Peter Ezima in In the Shadow of Imperator

mrdent12
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by mrdent12 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:26 am

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1
CND: -1 toughness(lasting damage)
Form: solid


Diego didn't show much emotion, but his mind was working all the angles. On foot, he wasn't sure how fast he could travel since he never tried. Hitori might be able to cary him, but that didn't make Diego too happy to think about. There was also the matter of what happens if there is any guard posts out of the city they don't know about and how they would get back in. It wasn't like Stronghold would just let them walk into the city with a magical artifact. On top of that, they would need to meet up with Sanders somewhere and navigate the city without a guide. Plan wise, it wasn't ideal.

Thinking it over though, he didn't see a way they all could leave the city in a vehicle. Maybe if they took out one of the guards, Diego took the guards form, and waved Sanders plus Hitori out he could sneak out in some fashion to meet up with them. Too many variables though. Last thing he wanted was a blood bath leaving the city as it would mean getting in would be much more difficult. On his own, he could probably hide under a car in his mist form, but he wasn't keen on going out alone.

"Is there a way we could get back into the city with the gem? We would also need your help to guide us back to Costas. My last excursions without a guide proved less than good and I haven't been in the city long enough to learn good points of entry.", inquires Diego. Facts, data he needed more and while timewise they were in trouble, a minute to get data if it proved useful was worth it. Thinking back, he tried to recall all he could about the city exterior as they came in.
Int 14 to recall any useful details

User avatar
Supernaturalist
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Supernaturalist » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:27 am

Iona
HP:0
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

Iona monitor's Peter's exit in order to insure that he leaves the premises without further incident. An unfortunate situation, but I could take no chances. It would not surprise me if Peter someday becomes the most formidable Ascendant of them all.

The female cyborg then looks to the Ascendant-creature left to monitor her. "Reaper, I shall keep the promise I made to Mr. Gonzalez. I'll do everything in my power to preserve the Colonel until your comrades arrive. Though when they decide to return, I'd prefer if only one, Diego, enters the laboratory. It's for the sake of security. I just don't want you to be surprised at my demand when I present it to your teammates upon their return, so I'm letting you know now."

Turning back to the medical control-panel, Iona once again checks the Colonel's indicators. I hope Diego and his team are successful. If the Colonel dies given the recent events in the lab, I don't even want to think of the consequences.

After a satisfactory evaluation of the Colonel's current state, Iona glances over at the security droids. "Security. Maintain current protocols until further notice."

With Peter out of the lab, the Colonel relatively stable, and Reaper watching her like a hawk, Iona decides to spend some time updating herself on the information provided by the lab's computers on the present storm approaching Hadron City. She also checks to see if the computers provide any clue as to where and why Dr. Sokolov left the laboratory.

User avatar
Sakuro
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:43 am

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Sakuro » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:37 am

The sphere silently moves along side Peter, floating at his side. Guiding hi to the elevator. The door opens to the lift and it enters with him. Without a button being pressed the elevator ascends. The trip ride passes in silence. The elevator is quiet and so too is the object accompanying Peter. There is no indication as the progress of the elevator, so it is that the doors open without any warning. Revealing the hospital floor that he and his peers had been allowed to make use of. Now, however, Peter was being escorted to the door and outside. There he was left. Once he was outside the sphere moved around a corner and out of sight.
OOC wrote:Peter has been kicked out of Dr. Sokolov's base. Is he going to loiter outside, or does he have a plan of action that takes him elsewhere?
Iona is able to pull up security footage from a terminal within the lab. From there she is able to monitor Peter's exit from the building, and even observe his movements once outside. Later, when she check on Colonel Costa's condition, she finds that it has worsened. But this was to be expected. She'd dying, and when she goes it is possible there could be collateral damage. Both physical and political. She wasn't just one of the five Ascendants. She was Praetor Null's second in command and Null was already putting the blame for her ill fate on Dr. Sokolov.

The four armed robots lower their weapons to a resting posture once Peter withdraws and matters do not escalate. They move with Iona though, a set silent anti-social body guards. They don't respond to the cyborg's order, except to continue fulfilling their duty, and monitoring the threat levels within the laboratory.
OOC wrote:Let's see what Iona is able to to piece together concerning the storm and Dr. Sokolov's activities. Make an Expertise: Science roll.
Imperious in Rustdeity
Sky Guard in Gulf Coast Guardians
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator

Nareik123
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Nareik123 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:12 am

Reaper
HP: 1

The scene passed with Reaper remaining still. Her thought process was still. She remained behind because her inability to walk undiscovered would compromise the mission with Diego and Hitori. However, the task in the lab was based on science, not combat and Reaper found herself sidelined again. She didn't mind though, when her skill set would come in handy, then the team would be thankful she was there.

So she observed from a corner watching Iona and Peter go about there business. She remained quiet, not interrupting. This was until the situation started heating up. She didn't react until the security was deployed. At that point, she took a step forward, the claws that formed part of her fingers begin to glow a radiating light. She remained still though, not acting in a threatening posture but reminding everyone she was there.

She didn't intervene when Peter was evicted from the lab, but sent a brief message to Diego when he was evicted.
*Diego, Reaper. Situation at the labs. Peter and Iona have been arguing. Suspected interference from Iona, try to get samples from us. Security has been deployed, Peter evicted, I remain on site. Haven't engaged in hostile action yet. Orders?*

mrdent12
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by mrdent12 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:30 am

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1
CND: -1 toughness(lasting damage)
Form: solid

*Diego, Reaper. Situation at the labs. Peter and Iona have been arguing. Suspected interference from Iona, try to get samples from us. Security has been deployed, Peter evicted, I remain on site. Haven't engaged in hostile action yet. Orders?*
Sokolov was always going to try and push it. Iona was either under orders or stupid. Whatever the case, getting samples was not acceptable. Praetor Null's orders are clear. Minimize the information gathered on Ascendants by Sokolov and keep Colonel Costas alive. If Iona does not bring all the samples back and destroy them under verification, we will have little choice except to escalate. Before violence, which will endanger Colonel Costas, remind Iona of the situation and her folly in creating a situation that can easily be avoided. If Peter is not provided a way monitor Costas and help as needed, that is also not acceptable. I trust your discretion on how quickly to escalate Reaper. If the situation and temporary alliance does not sway Iona, she should have a healthy fear of Preator Null to comply., transmit Diego to Peter and Reaper. Now whether they hear him or not is a separate matter entirely.

User avatar
Supernaturalist
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Supernaturalist » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:43 am

Iona
HP:0
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

Though she does not possess the ability to access the computer-system of the laboratory with AR command-screens, Iona utilizes the keyboard-interface to the best of her abilities.

I hope Dr. Sokolov is careful out there. If Stronghold gets a hold of him a second time, they might not be as forgiving as last time.

Iona first checks to see if the doctor left any "windows" running that might provide monitoring information: Satellite views, doppler radar projections, or even a virtual-map of the regions power-grid. If there are any "processes" that are currently running, Iona checks them for relevance. Her main goals are to first gain information on the storm, and then second to identify the location and activities of Dr. Sokolov.
Ok, I have no HPs left so I'm stuck with whatever roll I get. Here it is: Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 31(16 + 15). I could do a lot worse than that...a total of 31.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Camus
Posts: 1414
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Hitori Zanzo

Post by Camus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Sakuro wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:00 am
The road leading out of the city is bumper to bumper with cars. Off the street, traffic is mor normalized, but the exodus from the city is being handled with caution and thorough car by the private security forces. Diego can see armed men checking identification, and giving vehicles as reasonable inspection before allowing anyone to depart. The road is flanked by armored personnel carriers with vehicle mounted weapons and concrete barricades are in place to shore up possible opening in the security line that is formed.

"It wasn't easy getting you in the city without making waves. We won't be able to just drive out. I'll get IDed and your lack of identification will draw just as much bad attention."

Sander responded to Diego's query grimly. Presently she pulls your vehicle into the shadow of two buildings, within view of the rout route of Hadron City. The dark haired woman's eyes are looking around. Moving. Searching. Assessing all with a flowing smoothness that gives no hint of the issue of time that is hounding your group.

"I should be able to create a distraction though. Something that will draw Stronghold's eyes away long enough for the two of you to sneak your way out of the city on foot."
OOC wrote:From his assessment, Diego is able to take in the obvious and does not gain any special insights.

Sander's Expertise Military check isn't much better. However, I will give you a narrative option in the form of Tilly's plan. If she creates a distraction for Diego and Hitori it will succeed and you'll be able to get through the security with minimal risk. However Sander will not be able to rejoin you and you won't have access to her assistance once outside the city.
"No, you are needed more than I am in this mission. I will create the diversion, I will be able to handle the Stronghold scum, and could escape before their reinforces arrive." He turns to Diego. "I trust my assessment is in accordance with yours, Sanders is far too valuable to be left in the hands of the enemy."
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ

User avatar
Sakuro
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:43 am

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Sakuro » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:05 am

While Dr. Sokolov was not sloppy enough to leave any of his work open for easy viewing, Iona has been gifted with an almost instinctive awareness of the lab's systems. As though she were designed as an assistant to work smoothly and efficiently within it. Without much effort she is able to pull up a history of satellite feeds, as well as a number of simulations he was running. Including chemical compounds reacting with meteorological phenomena, thermodynamic predictions, and kinetic risk assessments to physical objects. Iona is very intelligent. Inhumanly so. But she's still new to world below and the realm of advanced scientific understanding that Dr. Sokolov works in. While the details allude her, Iona is able to put together the broad strokes. Dr. Sokolov was looking for a way to slow the path of the storm and keep it from growing to biblical proportions.

When Iona studies the satellite feeds, she is able to make use of a number of advances sensor systems and view details that would be beyond foreign optical technologies. Looking over the footage she is able to deduce that shortly Dr. Sokolov left the storm did indeed show a slow in it's growth and progress towards Hadron City. There are a number of anomalous readings that appear. Something seems to be siphoning off portions of the storm-mass, while chemical and thermal readings that coincide with Dr. Sokolov's simulations appear to be periodically introduced to the storm. It is odd though, that the storm should have crossed over more than one high population zone by now, but repeatedly moves away from them in a manner that it should not.
Imperious in Rustdeity
Sky Guard in Gulf Coast Guardians
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator

User avatar
Supernaturalist
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:48 am

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Supernaturalist » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Iona
HP:0
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

"The Doctor is working to corral the storm." Iona says loud enough for Reaper to hear. Perhaps she merely wants to plant the idea that Sokolov is working tirelessly to save Hadron City as well as other areas.

This storm...it's unlike anything I've every seen. Is some Will directing it? Is it alive and moving under its own volition?

The young cyborg continues to familiarize herself with all the capabilities of the laboratory computer system. Searching for any program which will allow her to send a coded-message to Dr. Sokolov's high-tech battlesuit, she seeks to transmit the following message:

<Low Priority>
<Colonel Costa still regressing but stable>
<Peter Ezima removed from laboratory due to attempts at covert hacking>
<Reaper remains>
<Nanite samples collected from Ascension chambers on 4 of 5 candidates>
OOC: Ok, I'm not sure if the computer system will allow me to send an encrypted message to Sokolov. If not, then scratch that part of the post.
Also, I stated "4 of 5 candidates" because I assumed that the high-energy environment of Costa's chamber destroyed any loose traces of 'tissue'.
Iona then returns to gathering data on the storm. In particular she tries to identify where the siphoned storm-mass is going (or what is happening to it).
Here's the additional perception roll requested by Sakuro: Supernaturalist:1D20+10 → 24(14 + 10).
A total of 24.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnigmaticOne
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by EnigmaticOne » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Peter Ezima
HP: 1

Peter created a hoodie and a mask covering everything beneath the eyes to conceal his inhuman features as he exited Sokolov's laboratory. *She may have a greater fear of Dr. Sokolov beneath the loyalty. I have a certain hypothesis, but my banishment from the premises prevents me from investigating further at this time.*
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Vortex in Force OPs
Evan Roadbound in The Golden Wheel Turns
Peter Ezima in In the Shadow of Imperator

Post Reply