[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EnigmaticOne

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima
HP: 2

Peter froze, but knew what to say, bowing his head. "I'm sorry Praetor, I feared the worst. I understand. I understand my place. I won't do this again." Null's Ascendant enhancements were of a quality far beyond his and the others.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
CND: -2 toughness
Form: Mist

Diegos body started shifting again back to a mist after seeing the result of Peters stupidity and wanting to fade away from that. The new found abilities would definitely take some getting used to. There would be time for training later though. Now was the time for action. What action though? He wasn't versed in science and Null didn't seem in the mood to be challenged.

Looking at the monitors, the worst ran through Diegos mind. Was the creature he saw in his dream trying to come through? Did the energies that gave them Ascension tear a whole in space and time? This whole world was new to him. People, he got. Manipulation, he got. Even basic science he got.

To distract himself, he checked around to see if he had pulled anything of the Colonel off or hurt her in anyway. He could stretch, but he didn't know how strong he was yet
Nareik123

Post by Nareik123 »

Reaper

As the rest of the ascended went to work, reaper stood still. Her mind, although unenhanced, went into full on analytical mode.
Theoretical: Photon enhanced Talons could penetrate the pods exterior.
Practical: materials used in construction unknown, pod emitting dangerous levels of electric discharge, could lead to potential injury.
Theoretical: Concentrated barrage of Photon energy at a precise point could weaken structure for Talons to open the exterior.
Practical: Unknown if Photon blasts could damage pod, unknown if blasts would potentially harm the colonel, not advised to carry out
Theoretical: Use non combat methods to open lock.
Practical: Other ascended better suited to that job.

She then turned her gaze to the commotion with Null and Sokolov. She felt her body heat up, subconsciously charging up her photon powered weapons, before Peter interrupted. With Null venting his anger on Peter, she felt the tension dissipate. She turned to glance at the Colonel, assessing her condition before concluding that medical treatment was out of her area of expertise, especially since the colonel was no longer human. She sighed and used her mind to connect back to the Neural network the Peter used to contact her and attempted to send a message to Costa.
*Colonel, this is.....* She hesitated then. She was about to say Sergeant Thompson but that was inaccurate now, she was no longer the sergeant, but something else. She could use Breacher, but her new form felt like her military call sign was a poor representation. Her Merc codename however, fitted perfectly.
*This is reaper, please respond.*
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP:3
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

Through the combined efforts of Iona, Hitori, and Diego, the Colonel is safely removed from the Ascension chamber. As her body clears the chamber and the others are safely back from the machinery, Iona ceases her efforts to restrict power to the machine.

Exhausted, Iona slumps down to her knees for a moment. Her cyborg-frame temporarily reduces power to unnecessary operations until the internal-generator recharges her secondary-batteries. This takes several minutes, however. “Power…levels…low…Doctor.” She says, struggling to mask the fatigue.

In a short time she manages to stand up.

’Get her onto a table. Iona, see what you can find out about her condition while I try to get a grasp on this situation.” , comes the order from Dr. Sokolov.

Yes, Doctor…” she says as she moves towards the examination-table, “I do believe that the 5th chamber is still ‘live’ with power. To be safe, power may have to be manually shutoff until maintenance can be performed.

Iona’s eyes then fix on the strange, ephemeral female lying before her. Unsure if this humanoid shape is solid, she reaches out and touches the arm of the woman. Ah…good…some substance…no surprises there.

Then - to the best of her ability – Iona attempts to garner data on the Colonel’s vital signs. As she takes her measurements, she continuously speaks to the Colonel in a low, yet audible voice. “Colonel? Can you hear me? Do you feel the pressure of my touch?” Periodically she asks these same questions again until the Colonel either responds or she completes her diagnostic.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

When Iona pokes at the Colonel's body she feels give, like you would expect from flesh. But the substance of her body, the sensation of it, feels more like rushing air. It is strange and entirely outside the realm of what should be possible. It doesn't make sense by normal scientific standards. But Iona's mind is not limited by mundane constraints. Talking to the Colonel garners no response. She is limp and immobile. Most likely unconscious. As Iona brings medical instruments to bear she finds the Colonel s not subject to human biology. Tools used to measure those things prove ineffectual. She needs to think outside the box.
OOC wrote:Iona, make an Expertise Science check and a Technology check to try to get some information on the Colonel's condition.
The mass of barbed black tentacles surrounding Peter grow at their base, pushing him up off the ground and guiding his immobile form towards Null. As this happened Peter could feel his Powers working, causing the effect, but without his control. He was left prone and vulnerable before the Praetor. Reaching down to Peter's face with a gloved hand they caressed his cheek. There was no warmth in Null's touch. The gesture was not kind. It was possessive. As if Peter were a thing that they owned. Valuable and valued, but still property.

"The only thing you need to fear is displeasing me."

The black lifeless eyes of Null's masked gaze remained fixed on Peter as they spoke and caressed the contours of his cheek. Finally their finger tip's left the man's face. After the Praetor's finger tips left Peter's face the tentacles dissolved. He felt the gifts of Ascension returning to him. The connection to the other Ascendants, the mental acuity, and the machine awareness of the world around him … but not the control that he once held over creation. Not the vitality.

"Do what you can to assist in the Colonel's recovery and in finding a resolution to this phenomena. "
OOC wrote:Peter regains control of his Powers. Except for Regeneration, Create, and the effects in Create's array. What is he going to do now?
With a languid back handed motion Null slothfully uncurled their fingers as they indicated the two holographic screens at the center of the room. Then, after assigning Peter this task and unless there were further inquiry from Peter himself, Null turned and gestured for Diego and Alex … no Reaper ... to approach. Done speaking to Peter they focused their mask's eyes on the other two.

"My attention is required elsewhere. Make certain no further harm comes to Colonel Costa, minimize the information Dr. Sokolov is able to learn about the Ascendants, and keep your companions in check."

Whether Reaper makes it to Null to hear this depends on when she starts trying to communicate with Colonel Costa. Because, as she reaches out to the Colonel, something opens up within her mind. She sees herself in a black space. Then a vortex. A portal in the form of a vertically swirling storm, with a murky grey-water center. The storm pulls at Reaper. Rips her from her own mind and then … an explosion.

It is dark. She's wearing fatigues. A breastplate of body armor. An exo-frame and tactical helmet. There is a mag rifle in her hands. She is hunkered down behind some rocks outside of a gates in a mountain compound that had just been blown open. Around her are similarly attired soldiers and, giving attack orders not too far off is Colonel Costa, using gestures to emphasize her commands.
OOC wrote: Reaper get's 1 HP, as she is sucked into Colonel Costa's mindscape. What does it look like when Reaper goes unconscious? Does she remain fixed in place? Does she go limp and collapse to the floor?
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima
COND: -1, Staggered

Peter staggered to his feet, nodded at Null's instructions and began to turn and look over Colonel Costa's changed body, while cautiously reaching out with his machine connections - not the neural network, to inspect her nanite body.
Technology: 1d20+16 35
Games
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
Form: Mist

If Diego could nod in agreement he would, but of all the forms he could take now the particle cloud felt most natural to him. Of course, it meant he couldn't nod. A good side effect though was that he had no face or eyes so no one knew who he was looking at. "Understood.", says Diego once Null finishes speaking. Short and to the point. Diego knew how to follow orders and it was clear Null expected people to follow his orders to the letter without disagreement. More than ever, Diego had to keep being that professional face of the team.

Floating a little higher, Diego keeps his eyes on the room. While a bit unnerving, a dark cloud floating over the room felt a bit more warning like than a semi solid form or human form. If Null was going to hold him to account, he would deliver. No longer was he a simple spy cog piping information or doing tactical analysis of situations, but now he was more. He had ascended humanity.

If possible Peter, hide as much as you can about Costa without affecting her care from Sokolov's helper. We cannot let Praetor Null down again., says Diego over the Ascendant link to Peter. It was all a balancing act. Costa's life was important, but so was limiting Sokolov's access. The doctor had served his purpose for now and had to be managed. Iona clearly was Dr. Sokolov's follower. She was a link to him and that link had to be managed as well.
Nareik123

Post by Nareik123 »

Reaper

Reaper barely heard Null speak when she realised her attempt at at connecting with Costa had backfired, spectacuraly. She felt her mind and her consciouss pull from her mechanized war form. She barely registered the crash as her Ascencion enhanced body tumbled to the floor in a crash of lifeless energy. In a foreboading last vision, she saw the orange veins grow dim.

Her awareness snapped into focus in the war zone. She took a second to focus and recover. She felt wrong, this definately wasn't the reality she lived in. This felt more like a nightmare thrown back into life. The weapons, the gear, it immediately took her back to the war. The war that claimed everything from her life. Her pragmatic mind pushed aside the doubt and the conflict as she quickly checked her weapon and her gear. Illusion or not, she was a soldier and old habits die hard. She tactically advanced closer to Costa, taking a defensive position and poking her head over the barricades to survey the terrain.
"Ma'am, Sergeant Thompson reporting for duty!" Reaper snapped in a formal voice, while keeping her eyes focused on surveying the terrain.
OOC: Will Save is 19 https://orokos.com/roll/724080.
Will Spend a HP to re-roll the save. New result is 22 https://orokos.com/roll/724081.
Supernaturalist

Iona
HP:2

Everything she understands about modern medicine assumes the organic foundation of the human body. When human cells are replaced by nanites, organic or not, her most basic assumptions are invalid.

Iona's first attempt to analyze Colonel Costa ends only in embarrassing confusion. How would one even begin to define "vitals" for such a creature?

The beautiful young servant of Dr. Sokolov appears somewhat flustered by the task before her. When Peter turns his attention to The Colonel's unconscious body, Iona pauses before addressing the newly Ascended "man". "I'm unsure exactly how each individual nanite receives energy to perform its functions. Without some sort of CT scan or invasive surgery I don't even know what kind of organs a being like this possesses. You were an engineer once; perhaps in many ways you still are." Iona has a noticeable tone of uncertainty in her voice. "Would you be able to identify any technological 'indicators' to determine whether Colonel Costa is healthy or unhealthy? I'll help you any way I can."
OOC: My first roll will be my Expertise: Science roll: Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 21(6 + 15). So, a total of 21. My second roll will be to "Aid" Peter. Supernaturalist:1D20+9 → 10(1 + 9). Ok, that was absolutely horrible. I'll use an HP to re-roll: Supernaturalist:1D20+9 → 24(15 + 9). So, my Aid roll for Peter is a 24. I lowered my HP to 2.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

After peopleing with Diego Null looks past the mist-form mass to the fallen form of Sergeant Thompson, then back to Diego. There is a meaningful pause before the Praetor turns away and walks to the group of mundane people who had been observing all that happened in the room rapt and wide eyed. Some words are spoken by Null. Mr Chen joins the group and Corporal Sander breaks away … then Null, Mr. Chen, and the three other men you were never introduced to all disappear. It is as though they were never there.
ooc wrote:A result of 20 is all Iona needs on the Aid check to give Peter +5, for a total of 40.

Using his Comprehend and AR Feature Peter is aware that the nanites exist and they form a complex network. There is no way for him to interact with them, like he would a computer. The only way he can interact with them is to interact with Colonel Costa … as he would anyone else. This is a person you are dealing with. Not an object. Also note this Power of your's is not Detect. It is not mechanically a Sense that gives you special information like an Acute or Analytical Sense would.

To save time I am going to assume that Peter moves on to using actual scanners in the laboratory after this.
Peter looks at Colonel Costa's changed form. In doing so he sees an AR overlay representing the collective network of nano-machines. Other than this knowledge which he already possessed Peter gains no further insights. Though as he thinks on the topic he notices a network icon hovering over the medical table that the Colonel lays on. The table is a complex machine. Not just a mundane piece of furnishing. Accessing the table's diagnostic functions through his augmented reality interface he finds that the table is equipped with a wide spectrum of medical sensors. As he filters through them he an overlay inserts itself into his vision atop the Colonel's body.

While Peter works through AR, making gestures and manipulating AR controls that no one else can see, Iona works through the table's physical controls to try and gains some understanding of what is happening with the Colonel. Collectively they discover the following: Firstly, by simple visual inspection the Colonel physically appears to be an embodiment of meteorological patterns. Namely, a storm. How this is possible, you have no clue. They also find that the Colonel's nanite composition is drawing in and processing large amounts of energy from some external source. They are drawing on something and using it … to what end is not obvious. The amount of energy they are drawing is too much for them to handle though. This is causing the nanites to expire faster than they can repair the damage or replicate. Which explains why there are pieces of her that are missing, and these 'missing pieces' are becoming more numerous/growing as she continues to take in and utilize more energy than she can handle.

Reaper, looking very much like Alex again, approaches the armored Colonel announcing herself. Costa looks to Alex before barking her command and pointing a finger at the gates thick metal barrier of a door that had just been blown open.

"Move Sergeant, before the Enemy has time to mount their defense. We have an Objective to secure."

Whatever was going on, it seemed like Alex was supposed to already know the game plan. Or at least Colonel Costa was treating her that way. Without further delay the Colonel leaps into action. Sprinting at speeds augmented by her exo-frame she charged the enemy gates at the rear of the group of soldiers that were storming the enemy position. There was the occasional sound of gun fire. The flash of automatic fire from enemy guards. Or the bark and flash of plasma ejecting from a mag rifle's barrel as a solid slug was fired from the weapon. The Colonel's force was moving quick. Taking out guards and moving inside with coordinated precision that the guards were not ready for.
OOC wrote:Two things. Alexandria/Reaper has collapsed onto the floor and appears nonresponsive. How are people reacting to this?

Next, Reaper is aware of who she is and all her past experiences up to trying to contact Colonel Costa. She isn't certain where she is or what is going on. Other than … she is in the middle of an attack on a mountain compound lead by Colonel Costa. What is Reaper's plan here?
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona consults with Peter before turning her head to address both him and Dr. Sokolov. "It's too early to tell if the Colonel's nanite-form is truly gaseous in nature; it certainly mirrors the current weather patterns over head, no? I wonder if her present chemical-composition is similar to the atmosphere above us as well. Since Preator Null has forbidden any corporal-samples it is difficult to tell. Do you think that she is drawing kinetic-energy from the atmosphere as well? It might explain why her current form is in such an 'excited' state. Unfortunately, I do not believe her nanite-composition can handle its present-level of energy absorption."

The young cyborg takes a step back from the table and crosses her arms. Her head turns to the location where Preator Null and the other recent "guests" were standing. "And why did Preator Null just leave? Are they abandoning the Colonel for good? Perhaps assuming that she is soon to perish?"

Iona looks back to Dr. Sokolov. "I cannot believe Null would leave her here in such a state if they expected her to survive. She would be too valuable to them. Of course, I may be missing something. Did the Praetor leave in order to try and help her in some way?"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
Form: Solid

From his observation post, Diego notes Null's exit with his forces and assumes command of the situation in lieu of his masters presence. While he wasn't a scientist, he had become the unofficial team leader it seemed. He was not going to fail in that role again. With problems mounting, he took over like a maestro who relies on his orchestra to do the job at his direction. If possible Peter, see if you can disconnect the Colonel from the energies she is drawing. If Dr. Sokolovs assistant is to be believed if we don't disconnect her we may lose her anyway. Perhaps there is a way to fashion or a suit or containment area to buy us time?, inquires Diego over the Ascendant link.

Shifting his "gaze" to Iona, Diegos voice sounds sharper and annoyed. "Praetor Null had his reasons. If he had wanted us to know his reasons, he would have told us them before leaving. He trusted us to accomplish the tasks assigned to us. While you may not serve him, he would not be pleased if you disobeyed his will.", snaps Diego. "I trust you fulfill your role Hitori and ensure the Praetor's will is done without interference. Since I may not be capable to monitor the situation if my attempts to reach our fallen comrade has unforeseen consequences it will fall on you to keep everyone in line.", adds Diego in more of a commanding than agitated tone he took with Iona.

Hovering down the the fallen form of Reaper, Diego assumes a solid black form. First, he checked over her body to see if there was any visible signs of damage. Short of that, he looks up at Iona. "See what you can tell of her condition from your instruments.", orders Diego. He knew Sokolov was in the room. He knew the doctor was her master. He didn't care. Reaching out through the link, he tried to get a message to Reaper. Can you hear me? What is wrong., sends Diego.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima
COND: -1, Staggered

Peter concurred with what Iona found - but the speculations of the exact mechanics of her abilities involved were irrelevant here. What mattered right now was solving Colonel Costa's problem, only that now he had the sudden concern of Alex going unconscious too. Costa's powers were active, even if she wasn't awake.

*I don't know where she's drawing it from or how to block it. Or how long such a solution would hold up if her unconscious keeps channeling more.*

So a hypothesis: forcing her into consciousness, like how a defibrillator could 'jumpstart' a person? Peter wasn't a doctor though, even though the Ascendants were all nanite-based. And that still left the question of Alex, if her state was because of cyber-neural contact or something else - would this also help her?

"Help me move the Colonel halfway down, so we can make some space for the Sergeant." Peter told Iona and Diego. At least her upper half, anyway, so he could analyze their neurological states and see if the 'jumpstart' was plausibly possible. And this might cut the two off from their byplay, since it distracted from the task at hand.
Games
Camus

Hitori Zanzo

Post by Camus »

HP: 1
LP: 2-1: 1
CND:

Unable to contribute any further, Hitori is somewhat startled at Diego's request. He simply took his hand to his chest. "Certainly" he added.
His eyeless sockets scanned the room, and it is then that his life vision picks up something strange about Iona...
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Supernaturalist

Iona
Shifting his "gaze" to Iona, Diegos voice sounds sharper and annoyed. "Praetor Null had his reasons. If he had wanted us to know his reasons, he would have told us them before leaving. He trusted us to accomplish the tasks assigned to us. While you may not serve him, he would not be pleased if you disobeyed his will.", snaps Diego.
Short of that, he looks up at Iona. "See what you can tell of her condition from your instruments.", orders Diego. He knew Sokolov was in the room. He knew the doctor was her master. He didn't care.
Despite Diego's tone, Iona appears to be amazingly compliant. She shoots a glance to Dr. Sokolov, "With your permission, Doctor?"
OOC: If Dr. Sokolov gives her the "ok", then Iona will proceed with Diego's demands. Also, is there more than one examination-table in the room? I'm not sure if we can squeeze two bodies onto one effectively. Assuming there is an extra table or that we can fit her on the lone table, I'd like to use the instruments to get some info on their brain-activity.
Iona looks to both Peter and Diego. "I don't know if the instruments can pick up any data on their brain-activity. Their altered-physiology is making it difficult for the instruments to read anything. I do not think that they are in a "light" unconscious state such as sleeping. One possibility is a mild unconscious-state called "stupor". Whatever is inducing this condition is not clear. If that's the case, then most external stimuli will be ignored, although extreme stimuli such as substantial pain can break it. I'm leery to suggest such a remedy given how little I truly know. A second possibility is that the overload of energy-absorption has sent the Colonel into a state of shock. If that is the case, then she must recover from that state on her own, but it will require that her current experience of "pain" be removed. Of course, that still leaves me wondering why Alex has lapsed into unconsciousness."

She looks to Dr. Sokolov, "Doctor, is there a safe way to siphon or drain some of this extra energy out of the Colonel's body -if only until the storm passes? Perhaps we could cool her through cryogenics?"
Obviously, Iona is speculating. Moreover, I'm not even sure that Sokolov has the technology present to perform such process (even if it's the right thing to do). Do I need another roll? Maybe an Insight roll? If I have to I'll spend an HP to gain more insight.