The Daze [OOC, 3E]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
pathfinderq1

Re: The Daze [RECRUITING, 3E]

Post by pathfinderq1 »

So, in terms of putting together a submission: does anyone have preference between a bard-type (social skills, knowledge base, to develop into a general caster type) or a monk/cleric/healer type (some staff/unarmed skill, treatment +herbalism, religious or philosophical knowledge, developing into either chi or divine/healer casting)?

On a relevant tangent: what kind of deities are worshipped locally? Should I use the standard D&D list, or is there a setting-specific list?
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Play whatever is most fun for you. We want the other players to engage fully more than we care about party composition.
Prof Weird

Post by Prof Weird »

Updated Reva Vanel, Ranger
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

jmucchiello wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:17 pm
SIDEKICK wrote:Fido (Sidekick; PL: 5; PP: 20/20)
STR: 0; AGL: 2; FGT: 2; AWE: 0
STA: 0 (-); DEX: -2; INT: -4; PRE: 0
Dodge: 5; Parry: 5; Fortitude: None; Toughness: 4; Will: 0

SKILLS: Acrobatics +3 (1r); Athletics +6 (7r); Deception +0; Insight +0; Intimidation +0; Perception +3 (4r); Persuasion +0; Stealth +6 (4r)
LANGUAGES: Understands Common
ADVANTAGES: All-out Attack; Improved Trip

COMBAT Initiative: +3; Close: +3; Ranged: -2
  • Bite: Damage 5: +5 (DC 20)
  • Grab: +2 (Special DC 10) Range: Close
  • Throw: -2 (DC 15)
  • Unarmed: +2 (DC 15) Range: Close

POWERS
  • Barding: Protection 4 +4 Toughness - (4 PP)
  • Bite: Damage 5 - Extras: Accurate 2 (+4) (6 PP)
  • Immunity: Immunity 9 - Aging, Disease, Poison, Sleep, Starvations & Thirst, Suffocation (All), Uncommon Descriptor: Biological
  • Senses: Senses 3 - Danger Sense: Radar, Low-light Vision, Ultra-hearing (3 PP)
  • Speed: Speed 1 Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round - (1 PP)

Eyes: Yellow-Green Hair: black
Height: 3' 2" (at the shoulder) Weight: 200 lb.

BACKGROUND
Fido is a mechanical golem in the shape of a German Shepherd.

COMPLICATIONS
Colorblind: Fido sees in limited greyscale.
Mechanical and Magical Device: Fido is a magically powered machine. He seems to operate as a wind-up device but he does not need winding. He is incapacitated by anything that dispels magic.
Quirk: Fido is a dog. Or at least he thinks he is. He sometimes acts up unless he gets a "treat". Yarl carries around nails and bolts to toss Fido when this happens.

TOTALS: Abilities: -14 + Powers: 24 + Advantages: 2 + Skills: 7 + Defenses: 6 -> 25

A note on Fido. His Sta is -5, correctly figured in to Abilities point total, but that means his Fort is -5 (not 'None'), [shouldn't be much of an issue with your suite of immunities except for things that might affect a construct and targeting that save (A rust monster comes to mind or ghost's touch that decrepifies things)].

Also the Bite is +6 to hit which breaks caps.

You can't have Danger Sense tied to Radar, when you don't have Radar; that was probably on a previous version.
"Something pithy this way comes."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:53 pmA note on Fido. His Sta is -5, correctly figured in to Abilities point total, but that means his Fort is -5 (not 'None'),
His STA should be NONE because he's a construct, not -5. My export must not handle that correctly.
In the combat section it says +5 because of PL. He has the extra point for future growth. Yarl has 8 toughness but it is listed as 6 because of PL.
You can't have Danger Sense tied to Radar, when you don't have Radar; that was probably on a previous version.
There's nothing in the book saying you have to have "conventional" access to a sense group. The only thing he can do with his mechanical radar is not be surprised at the beginning of a combat, aka danger sense. He is not aware of radar in use around him and he cannot detect via radar so why should he buy the awareness (radar) or detect (radar) powers?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:18 pm His STA should be NONE because he's a construct, not -5. My export must not handle that correctly.

In the combat section it says +5 because of PL. He has the extra point for future growth. Yarl has 8 toughness but it is listed as 6 because of PL.

There's nothing in the book saying you have to have "conventional" access to a sense group. The only thing he can do with his mechanical radar is not be surprised at the beginning of a combat, aka danger sense. He is not aware of radar in use around him and he cannot detect via radar so why should he buy the awareness (radar) or detect (radar) powers?
You're building a Construct Sidekick in a non-traditional way and saving a ton of points by doing so. Some oddities will creep up. The question of Fido's Fort score is one. I don't know if there'll ever be something that targets Fort not covered by one of Fido's Immunities, so maybe it's not worth hashing out now.
When buying missing Construct's stats you start at -5, that's where I got that number.

I've seen a few other builds buy more bonuses at character creation and say that only some of it is 'active' in expectation of growth. It's not a common practice. I hadn't realized you were doing it. Thank you.

Radar is based off Radio sense which no character starts with. Normal senses are outlined in the book (DCA has them on 115). As to why saying it's based on Radar should or should not be allowed:
Choose a sense type for
your Danger Sense. Sensory effects targeting that sense
also affect your Danger Sense ability and may “blind” it.

Nothing in this pre-modern world could 'blind' your radio sense naturally. Basing Danger Sense off it is a great advantage over someone who based it off a Normal sense.
It's like saying buying 1-point Extended on Touch makes you immune to illusions. Not against the rules as written, but is it fair or Rules-As-Intended?

GM is always final arbiter though.
"Something pithy this way comes."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:46 pm You're building a Construct Sidekick in a non-traditional way and saving a ton of points by doing so. Some oddities will creep up. The question of Fido's Fort score is one. I don't know if there'll ever be something that targets Fort not covered by one of Fido's Immunities, so maybe it's not worth hashing out now.
When buying missing Construct's stats you start at -5, that's where I got that number.
I know where -5 comes from. I was saying the value is not -5. It is "none" or "n/a". In the Construct archetype in the handbook, it does not say "-5", it says "-".
I've seen a few other builds buy more bonuses at character creation and say that only some of it is 'active' in expectation of growth. It's not a common practice. I hadn't realized you were doing it. Thank you.
Sometimes you have to. I prefer the accurate extra to skills and always end up with an odd ability + 2*ranks of accurate vs an even number of ranks in the power. So you either end up with attack+ranks = PL*2-1 or attack+ranks = PL*2+1.
Nothing in this pre-modern world could 'blind' your radio sense naturally.
Now that reason I can accept. The sense group not existing in the campaign setting makes sense. I'll change it. Probably to hearing.
Thorpocalypse

Thadd the Great

Post by Thorpocalypse »

THADDEODORUS HIGHBORN
PL5

OPL: 5; DPL: 5; HP: 1
Archetype: Knight
Height: 6-4
Weight: 228
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde
Skin: Fair
Race: Human
Alignment: Public
Mentor: Eldorian the Sentinel

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 2, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS -1, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Acrobatics 4 (+6), Athletics 7 (+10), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+6), Deception (+3/+5) [Attractive], Expertise [Tactics] 8 (+8), Insight (-1), Intimidation 6 (+9), Perception 8 (+7), Persuasion 9 (+12/+14) [Attractive, Daze], Ranged Combat [Throwing] 3 (+3), Stealth (+2)

ADVANTAGES: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attractive (1), Close Attack (1), Daze (1) (Persuasion), Equipment (3), Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Improved Critical (1) (Long Blades), Improved Initiative (1), Inspire (2), Interpose, Leadership, Takedown (2)

POWERS:
Theme Music: Feature 1 (Thadd has a limited ability to generate a particular sound, his “theme music” at will. It can be useful for a circumstance modifier on some interaction checks [particularly taunts]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(15 pts)
Plate Mail: Protection 5; 5 pts
Greatsword: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 4, Dangerous; 5 pts
Javelin: Ranged Piercing Strength-based Damage 2, Dangerous; 5 pts

Explorer’s Pack: Backpack, Bedroll, Mess kit, Tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of Rations, Waterskin, 50 feet of rope, mirror, grooming kit (free, right?)

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +3 [Greatsword +7, Critical 18-20]
Unarmed +6 [Unarmed +3]
Ranged Attack +0
Throwing +3 [Javelins +5, Critical 19-20]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +2 [DC12] Parry +2 [DC12]
Toughness +8 (+8 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS:
Arrogance: Thadd the Great named himself Thadd the Great. That's probably all you need to know about how he feels about himself,
Chatterbox: Thadd loves to talk to anyone, anytime, anywhere.
Motivation: Becoming the greatest hero of all time.
Naïve: Despite his bravado, he has little real world experience and is trusting of everyone that doesn't meet his definition of evil.
Prejudice: Thadd believes that only humans, elves, dwarves and races that look like humans can be good. Every "thing" else is probably evil.
Secret: That's between me and Camus. :)
Showboat: Thadd believes that in order to be a great hero, one most not only succeed but do it with flash and flair. No one will write epics about Thadd the Boring.

Abilities 24 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Advantages 18 + Powers 1 + Defenses 8 = 75 / 75

Hello and well met fellow adventurers!!! Are you ready for GREATNESS?!?!?!? I can’t hear you…ARE YOU READY FOR GREATNESS?!?!?!?! That’s what I thought!!! HUZZAH!!!

I am Thaddeodorus Highborn first and only son of Thavrik Highborn of the Thorp of Thorpe now resident of Solmir. I am also known as Thadd the Great! Trained at the sword of Eldorian the Sentinel, legendary swordmaster of Solmir! Join with me and let us rid this land of evil! We will help the helpless, provide hope to the hopeless and become the scourge of villains everywhere!!!

With me as your leader, legendary fame awaits!!! So I ask again, ARE YOU READY FOR GREATNESS?!?!!?!?!?!?! Well, then join with me in our battle cry:

EXCELSIOR!!!

(What do you mean that’s been taken? By Lord Stan Lee the Greatest? Damn…)

ADVENTURERS ASSEMBLE!!!

(That, too? But it’s not exactly…what is copyright law? OK, something else then…)

SPOON!!!

(You’ve got to be kidding me?!?!? Well, we’ll workshop a battle cry later, I guess. Anyway…)

ON TO GREATNESS!!!

Build Comments: What I was going for with Thadd the Great is the jock who can’t read the room. He’s handsome, great at what he does, driven, loyal to his teammates and the girls love him but he’s liable to insult the wrong person with a remark he thought he was a joke but was WAY over the line. He wants to be the best and can’t imagine anyone else wouldn’t want to do the same. He truly wants to do the right things; fight evil, help the helpless, save the damsel, etc. But why would you risk your life fighting monsters and if you can’t get fame and fortune out of it?
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Intellect: 0
Awareness: -1
:lol:
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I've updated the character list
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

jmucchiello wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:26 pm I've updated the character list
I forgot about the mentor! Update a'comin' shortly.

1 hour and one load of laundry later: Update done :)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Camus

Post by Camus »

Haha fun character, good read.

Everyone, you sill have 4 days to submit characters or change your submissions before we wrap things up and start the adventure.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Camus

Post by Camus »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:18 pm
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:53 pmA note on Fido. His Sta is -5, correctly figured in to Abilities point total, but that means his Fort is -5 (not 'None'),
His STA should be NONE because he's a construct, not -5. My export must not handle that correctly.
I will take the position that you have to have a sense to be able to append things to it. Since you have a mechanical/magical dog construct, buy danger sense tied to hearing, as a normal dog would.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Camus wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:03 pm I will take the position that you have to have a sense to be able to append things to it. Since you have a mechanical/magical dog construct, buy danger sense tied to hearing, as a normal dog would.
I believe I've already fixed the character as described.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Been having some health issues which are sapping my concentration, but I've finished two possible builds. I'll try to make a final decision on which one to pitch tonight and get started on the posting. Idea one is an apprentice mage and knowledge sink, idea two is a acolyte cleric/warrior monk of the local sun god (Pelor?).