The Daze [OOC, 3E]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: The Daze [RECRUITING, 3E]

Post by jmucchiello »

I'm talking about backpacks. They have no PP cost.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Oh, you can get any nonweapon or armour item for free
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Camus

Post by Camus »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:50 am
The Shadowdancer
Power Level: 5; Power Points Spent: 75/75

Abilities: 4+2+6+4+6+2+4+0=28
Strength 2, Stamina 1, Agility 3, Dexterity 2
Fighting 3, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages 10
Equipment 3, Defensive Roll 4, Agile Feint, Hide in Plain Sight, Quick Draw

Skills 16 (38)
Acrobatics 7 (+10), CC: Light Blades 2 (+5), Expertise: Criminal 4 (+5), Insight 4 (+6), Perception 6 (+8), RC: Crossbows 2 (+4), Sleight of hand 6 (+8), Stealth 7 (+10)

Powers 1

Teachings of the Shadows: 1
..Nightcloak: Concealment 2 (Normal Visual) [Blending, Limited to Shadows]1

Racial Heritage: 4+7=11
..Elven Senses: Senses 4 (Normal Vision [Extended], Darkvision, Low-light Vision) 4
..Elven Physiology: Immunity 11 (Sleep, Charm Effects [Flaw: Limited to half effect], Sleep Effects [Flaw: Limited to magical effects]), Feature 1 (Longevity) 7

Equipment: 15/15
Wrist-Mounted Crossbow: Subtle Ranged Damage 3 [19/20] 8
Pair of Daggers: Multiattack Damage 3 [19/20] 5
Studded Leather Armor: Protection 2 2

Offense
Initiative: +3
Unarmed: +3
Double Slash: +5, DC 20 (Multiattack)
W-M Crossbow: +4, DC 18 (Subtle)

Defense 1+1+5+2= 9
Dodge 1 (+4), Parry 1 (+4), Fortitude 5 (+6), Toughness 4 (+6), Will 2 (+4)

Power Points
Abilities 28 + Powers 1 + Racial 11 + Advantages 10 + Skills 16 ( ranks 38) + Defenses 9 = 75/75

-------------------------------------

Birth Name: Alanari Fal'll
Race: Elf (high)
Height: 5'9 ft.
Weight: 170 lbs.
Profession: Bounty-Hunter
Class: Shadowdancer
Languages: Common (Native)

Description
Standing at average height for an Elf of his ethnicity, his complexion is proof that not all elves are pretty boys. It's scars carve a history of violence that's plain to see from a mile away, the most notable being the one over his right eye. Arcane light leaks forth from the glass eyeball, enchanted so it may provide him sight. Trailing from his head is his greasy, unwashed black hair that reassures he really has no care for his appearance at all.
His clothing is dark and practical for a man of his craft, yet hidden under the wrappings of his right forearm is a miniaturized crossbow.
-------------------------------------
It's said that most elves can proudly sing the language of the forest, and possess the great age and wisdom befitting of the near-immortal race. Like most preconceptions associated with the sapient races of his world however, the truth is far from pretty. Elves are just as likely to live in the squalor of a human city or village as a halfling or a dwarf, with all the lack of hygine and teeth to go with it. Sometimes they retain enough of their so called "proud Heritage" to actually speak the native tongue, but many would be surprised to see how rare that is among the lowest class.

Alanari is a prime example of just how far from the image of perfect grace an elf can be, riddled with the scars and insect-bites of a man who's lived a life of utter poverty and violence. He's not one to let such lack of comfort get him down at least, always content to put on off-kilter smile as he shrugged off the petty insults. He really does prove that looks aren't everything not just in his attitude but by putting his life on the line every day just to track down the absolute worst of the criminal underworld and bring them to justice.

Making him all the more deadly are the skills he's learned under the tutelage of a Alagor Grey, a legend long since retired from his chosen profession. The elder human called it the art of the Shadow-Dance, a way of twisting your heart along with your feet to bring darkness upon your shoulders like a cloak.

Complications
Motivation: Justice Since he was young, he's always felt a burning desire to make sure the evils of his world didn't go unpunished. The only thing stopping him from being seen as a true hero, is the fact that he's not at all opposed making criminals pay with their blood.
Dangerous Looks: The time of him being an unblemished elf with a pretty face is long behind him, his body having long since been punished his violence. People tend to look at him like he's a dangerous bandit, and woman are more likely to spit in his face then give him the time of day. Though he takes it all in stride, there's no denying the fact that it tends to be a hindrance.
Half-Blind: One particularly brutal battle with an unruly dwarf cost him an eye along with another permanent mark. Luckily for him he had enough gold saved up to pay for a magical replacement, a ruby enchanted with minor divination. Not being completely attached however, it can sometimes be knocked out, or temporarily nullified by effects that can dispel magic.
Heart of Gold: It would surprise most to learn that Alanari is actually quite a gentle-hearted elf when it comes to people in general. He's much more likely to wave off payments from those he feels sympathetic towards, and he's never one to deny a genuine plea for help. This has burned him from time to time, but a few bad-eggs aren't going to stop him from being as nice as he can to those in need.
Alagor Grey; Mentor: The elder human has been his master for several years now, and he feels obligated to doing what he can for the man.
Cool! Nice and different take on the elf archetype. One question, never really understood the advantage of buying low light vision and darkvision. The later seems to be a more powerful version of the first.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

In D&D, darkvision usually has a hard limit: 60 feet. Low-light vision just doubles the effective radius of existing light sources. So at night, if there's a campfire 100 feet away, having darkvision is no better than not having it. But low-light vision can see double the normal radius of light given off by the fire. Also darkvision is black and white in D&D.

Now, since he didn't limit his darkvision to 60 feet, I don't know what the benefit here is.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The benefit is.... I have no idea, I just purchased it as it was built on Thorp's lists. He could probably elaborate where I can't.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

How does Alanari make a living in the relatively peaceful village?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

That's... a good point to what I hadn't considered. He might've been from another city originally where he perfected his craft, and here in the village he's more of a night-watchman.
------------
Camus

Post by Camus »

jmucchiello wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:41 pm In D&D, darkvision usually has a hard limit: 60 feet. Low-light vision just doubles the effective radius of existing light sources. So at night, if there's a campfire 100 feet away, having darkvision is no better than not having it. But low-light vision can see double the normal radius of light given off by the fire. Also darkvision is black and white in D&D.

Now, since he didn't limit his darkvision to 60 feet, I don't know what the benefit here is.
Sounds logical enough, lets roll with this.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Camus

Post by Camus »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:14 am That's... a good point to what I hadn't considered. He might've been from another city originally where he perfected his craft, and here in the village he's more of a night-watchman.
Well his mentor is in town, perhaps you were travellng together and you stayed in town, not exactly knowing why. Making a living on guard or watchman duties is quite possible, as the surroundings are not particularly safe
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Is there a cut-off point set for the recruiting?

I've been too sick to concentrate on much of anything creativity-related, but I'm starting to claw my way back. If I've got a few days, I'll get to work on a bard or wizard apprentice- type (knowledge mostly, for now, planning to learn actual spellcasting as we progress), since the submissions seem mostly "physical" sorts.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Camus wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:13 pm
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:50 pm I didn’t see a cut off for submissions. How long do I have to get my character in?
You have all the time you need, I want people to have characters they feel attached to, not half cooked things
You have all the time you need
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Camus wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:12 pm You have all the time you need
Well, I hope at some point there is a cutoff. We'd like to actually play this game at some point, right? :)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Could probably go for a hard deadline if a week or two in my opinion. That way we're not all here a year later waiting for people to finish submissions...
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Camus wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:12 pm
Camus wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:13 pm
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:50 pm I didn’t see a cut off for submissions. How long do I have to get my character in?
You have all the time you need, I want people to have characters they feel attached to, not half cooked things
You have all the time you need
Yeah, games lose inertia if there are no deadlines. Also, you get people like me who start rethinking their characters over and over.

(Which can be good cuz I realized the place I copied the shrinking mechanic from used 2E rules, not 3E*. Will be revising Mot.)

*Thorp, if you see this, Permanent is a 0/rank modifier, not +1/rank, and you don't lose Speed until you drop 2 size ranks
"Something pithy this way comes."
Camus

Post by Camus »

Ok, lets say the end of next week, sounds fair?
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ