The Daze [OOC, 3E]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Camus

The Daze [OOC, 3E]

Post by Camus »

The village of Solmir is a quiet and tranquil place, set in the outskirts of the big forest of Umbrasol to the north, and close to the beginning of a chain of mountains to the east. The closest peak is the Cloudy Spire, after its long needle like summit, always covered in thick white clouds. In the forest lies the remains of an old wizard tower, abandoned now, and claimed by the nature around it. Few people venture as deep in the forest to reach the tower, but you have gone there once with your childhood friends. You don't really recall much of that place, only that the air seemed alive, and that you felt fear and ran away from the place. To the south and west extend the wide and hilly plains of Vasara, which miles from Solmir turn into a lifeless desert. Sometimes a merchant caravan approaches from the plains, bringing exotic goods. The peoples of the caravan are exotic themselves dressed in odd robes and bright colours, which contrast deeply with the brown black and grey of the clothing used in Solmir. You have feint memories of having talked to these people, and heard their stories of the wide world outside of the small village. Every time you think about that you feel a fleeting urge to leave and see the world, but as soon as it invades your mind it fades away.
The village has been steadily growing in population, mainly by the number of people that come from elsewhere and settle in the village. Whatever seems to be so magnetic about the village eludes you, as you see nothing special in your hometown. The people of Solmir are simple folk, do simple tasks in their daily life and do not worry much about anything. Everyone you know is like that, actually, even your mentor. No one ever worries about anything, because nothing happens and nothing ever did. Even your friends do not care much about you beyond a morning salutation, and the feeling is mutual.
But it was not always like this. You have dreamed of "before". The feeling that something is not as it should has been on the back of your head for some time now, but you cannot gather enough brainpower to actually turn it into an idea. Eventually you just "meh..."ed it, as any other worrisome thought you have ever had. However you are not the only one in the village that has had dreams...

Something mysterious is brewing in this village and only you have managed to somehow evade the insidious Daze that has befallen the town. This will be a low PL mystery and exploration game, set in a medieval setting. You will start as common folk, but progression will be quick as you awaken something within you. This is a setting I've designed for dungeons and dragons, but I think I can transition it to M&M.
Initially I want a background and stats for your characters, PL 5. You can spend 1 pp in a minor power. Think a wizard cantrip, or a soldier feat. Pick a profession for your PC, hunter, smith, baker, what have you, as it will mostly define your skills and advantages.
When you define your background, include a mentor, someone who has been there as you grew old, and that has taught you secrets, little things, perhaps magical, perhaps martial. The mentors have come to town from afar, old wizards, or soldiers who settled in Solmir for a quieter life and found in you a good disciple. Eventually the Daze also affected them and you, and you grew apart. Mentors will have sawed the seed of your powers, so if you plant to grow into a druid, make your mentor a hermit that lived in the forest and talked to the animals, and taught you to whisper to the trees, for example.

Powers as advantages: as long as the powers are innate things of your characters and not representing your "class", it is perfect. Your wizard can have very good eyesight, be that because you are an elf, or because you were assigned to the town watch. But he will know a simple magical cantrip of 1 pp.

Races: As far as species, anything non-monstrous that could cohabit with humans. Halflings, elfs, half-whatever, dwarves, gnomes. No tieflings for now. Consider about 15 pp in racial traits. You can read this fantastic compilation by @Thorpocalypse :
pathfinderq1 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:50 am For Reference, Thorpocalypse had a bunch of fantasy race templates and stuff for the game they put together on this board. Might be worth a look.
Link: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=994

Flynnarrel, "Mot", ??? Kobold, Ratcatcher -> Ranger/Druid??, Mentor: Granton the Forrester
jmucchiello, Yarl Bloodworth, Male Human, Blacksmith -> Rune Warrior, Mentor: Shordin the Apothecary
Prof Weird, Reva Vanel, Female Human, "Thug" -> Rogue/Ranger?, Mentor: Sinope the Ranger
Doctor Malsyn, Alanari Fal'll, Male Elf, Bounty Hunter -> Shadowdancer, Mentor: Alagor Grey the Retired Shadowdancer
Thorpocolypse, Thaddeodorus Highborn, Male Human, Knight -> Greatest Knight, Mentor: Eldorian the Sentinel
pathfinderq1, Rachel Tapperly, Female Human, Scribe/Scholar -> Wizard, Mentor: Flynn the Bard
Last edited by Camus on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Camus

Re: The Daze [RECRUITING, 3E]

Post by Camus »

Not many takers huh? Im open to suggestions
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

2e or 3e?

EDIT: never mind, just saw it’s 3e.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I'm interested. 75 pts?
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I'm mildly interested. But I just don't see how a forum game is ever going to get to the point where these characters are anything more than common folk with 5 extra PP. Face to face this would be a great game idea. I'm on the fence for a forum game.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

If you'd planned this for D&D, we have two other games using the D&D ruleset.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Camus

Post by Camus »

I plan progression to be fairly quick to address the issue of few pps.

Yes I saw the dyd games, applied myself. Howeer I am not as confident with those rules (4e is fine but meh and 5 e I havent played ever) as I am with MM.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Camus

Post by Camus »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:53 am I'm interested. 75 pts?
yeeps, 75 pp, only 1 point in powers.

Should clarify this one will be strong in storytelling, from both my and your part. Killing monsters and such will be a substantial part of it as well, but not right out of the bat.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

There's a concept of powers as advantages. For example, some people see well in the dark naturally (Low-light Vision) or some people have really good hearing or eyesight (Extended to hearing or Sight). Are you allowing anything like this outside of the 1-point power allotment?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Gonna be honest, I am actually curious enough to think about crafting a submission inspire of being in far too many games as is.... Might just have a needed taste for some fantasy adventure.

I wonder if you're sure that a 1 PP only initial limit to powers is viable though. Like, what if I was a cleric who wanted healing and such? Aside from that, are we all human or are there other races in this world? I have the vauge impression it might be on the low end of of fantasy, but is that merely because it's a small town?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Camus

Post by Camus »

Very good questions, very very good.
Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:25 pm There's a concept of powers as advantages. For example, some people see well in the dark naturally (Low-light Vision) or some people have really good hearing or eyesight (Extended to hearing or Sight). Are you allowing anything like this outside of the 1-point power allotment?
I would allow that (read also the answer to Doc), as long as the powers are innate things of your characters and not representing your "class". Your wizard can have very good eyesight, be that because you are an elf, or because you were assigned to the town watch. But he will know a simple magical cantrip of 1 pp.
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm Gonna be honest, I am actually curious enough to think about crafting a submission inspire of being in far too many games as is.... Might just have a needed taste for some fantasy adventure.

I wonder if you're sure that a 1 PP only initial limit to powers is viable though. Like, what if I was a cleric who wanted healing and such? Aside from that, are we all human or are there other races in this world? I have the vauge impression it might be on the low end of of fantasy, but is that merely because it's a small town?
In the case of your clearic, he could have a temporary healing 1 power, costing 1 pp. As I said there will be a lot of pp dispensed in the early stages of the adventure, so design your characters to take advantage of that.
As far as species, anything non-monstrous that could cohabit with humans. Halflings, elfs, half-whatever, dwarves, gnomes. No tieflings for now.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

When it comes to races and their natural characteristics, is there a PP limit to them in particular, or what have you? For example, looking back at an elven cleric I once made;
Elven Physiology: 3+3+8+1=15 Racial
..Everlasting Body: Immunity 2 (Aging, Sleep) half-effect, Immunity 1(alcohol), Enhanced Traits 1 (Attractive 1) 3
..Natural Grace: Enhanced Skills 2(+4 Acrobatics), Physical Quickness 2 3
..Keen Senses: Enhanced Skills 2 (+4 Perception), Senses 6 (Extended Analytical 2 Darkvision, Distance Sense) 8
..Racial Language: Languages 1 (Elvish) 1
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Camus

Post by Camus »

Thats pretty good actually Doc, I would remove attractive, there MUST be ugly elves around. 15 points seems enough for a good amount of racial traits.
Humans can also buy racial traits! Think about luck and social interaction skills and powers.

I should probably compile these bits of info in the OP....
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

For Reference, Thorpocalypse had a bunch of fantasy race templates and stuff for the game they put together on this board. Might be worth a look.

Camus

Post by Camus »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:50 am For Reference, Thorpocalypse had a bunch of fantasy race templates and stuff for the game they put together on this board. Might be worth a look.

Oh I remember that game, thanks for pointing it out. Folk can feel free to borrow from those ideas.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ