IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

The lack of hesitation and the amiability of the mayor lead Aldan to suspect there was truly nothing to find in the Foaming Mug or that the mayor truly didn't know of anything there. A darker part of the rogue's mind supplied that there WAS something there and the mayor was confident the group wouldn't survive it. They'd HAVE to check it out now.

He perked at the mention of his fellows. "Oh, I'd like to hear about the elves." Aldan says, interested. "When did they get to town? From whence do they hale? Do they too have magic?" Aldan's gesture summons a spectral hand floating in the air.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Arkrite

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Arkrite »

Flynnarrel wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:56 am
He perked at the mention of his fellows. "Oh, I'd like to hear about the elves." Aldan says, interested. "When did they get to town? From whence do they hale? Do they too have magic?" Aldan's gesture summons a spectral hand floating in the air.
Zakarias gives Aldan a funny look as if unsure why the sudden change in topic, "They came in about a week ago. Anything more and you'd really have to ask them."

"I take it you've studied the arcane arts?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

A week was definitely after this whole mess started. Aldan nods to himself.

"I will definitely look forward to speaking with my kinsmen... it's been so long. Where can I find them? And while I do not have the flashier combat magicks at my disposal I should ask what Orlane's rules for casting spells are, if the town has such." He says by way of answer to the mayor's question.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"They're normally at the cabin, the small building on the path leading to our house," Zakarias says.

Karia sighs, "They're normally off in the woods."

She glances over at Georgia, looking dejected, "They never come to visit and they don't seem to like talking."

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:51 pm "And while I do not have the flashier combat magicks at my disposal I should ask what Orlane's rules for casting spells are, if the town has such." He says by way of answer to the mayor's question.
"Well, you know, the usual. Don't destroy other people's property, no casting spells on people without their permission, no loud or bright spells after sunset," He says, "Honestly we don't have many spellcasters out here, but we find that generally covers the big problems."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan nods at the rules as given.

"And to get a sense of the overall town health is there anyone else you would recommend speaking to?" the inquisitive elf asks.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Result of Perception check
Against the side of the room is a wall hanging which, while being bright, well made and clean, is a little boring.
It appears to be hiding an alcove behind it, something you can tell mostly because you can just barely see a pinkish human finger pushing the edge to the side so a eye can peek around it to watch the table.
Georgia lets Aldan keep chatting with Zakarias while subtly focusing on the person watching them from hiding.

She pretends not to notice their observer while drawing on her Tielfing heritage to use thaumaturgy on the wall hanging.
Georgia is going to cast thaumatugry on the wall hanging using the effect "You cause an unlocked door or window to fly open or slam shut." to cause the hanging to flutter away from the opening its hiding.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"Well, the best bet would probably be one of the inns, I would suggest-"

The wall hanging suddenly flies up like a sudden, powerful gust of wind had hit it. Behind the wall hanging is a grizzled white haired man in banded mail, with a shield set on his arm, and a large sword sheathed at his side. The wide eyed look of shock on his face is hidden as the wall hanging flops back into place.

Karia covers her mouth, muffling a giggle.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

The elf was engrossed in what the mayor was saying when the tapestry 'fluttered'. Starting to react by ducking under the table, he notices the sword is undrawn and the man unthreatening. Aldan's read of the couple had not shown impending violence or subversion. After a moment's thought he determined it prudent and wise that the mayor have a hidden guard nearby.

"Are one of those standard with all property in Orlane?" he asks without missing a beat, seemingly unperturbed.
stavaros_the_arcane

Arkrite wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:55 am "Well, the best bet would probably be one of the inns, I would suggest-"

The wall hanging suddenly flies up like a sudden, powerful gust of wind had hit it. Behind the wall hanging is a grizzled white haired man in banded mail, with a shield set on his arm, and a large sword sheathed at his side. The wide eyed look of shock on his face is hidden as the wall hanging flops back into place.

Karia covers her mouth, muffling a giggle.
Georgia doesn't try to hide her smug smirk and raises her tea cup towards the wall hanging.
"Care to join us at the table? The tea is excellent."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13

Tyragorn took an involuntary step back and touched the hilt of his weapon. He didn't intend to look dangerous but his arms tensed. "Is that a friend of yours?"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 am "Are one of those standard with all property in Orlane?" he asks without missing a beat, seemingly unperturbed.
Karia chokes on another giggle as Zakarias stands there trying to get a grasp on what just happened.

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 am "Care to join us at the table? The tea is excellent."
Karia snorts, doubling over as she holds her sides.

"I-" Zakarias starts
Shock wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:47 pm "Is that a friend of yours?"
"Yes, I-"

"Can I come out, sir?" a grumpy voice calls from behind the wall hanging.

Karia is now laughing uncontrollably, her head resting against the table.

"Karia, please," Zakarias says, looking quite embarrassed, "Traver, you can come out now."

The grizzled man steps out of the alcove, giving everybody at the table a suspicious glare.

"Sorry, but times being what they are we have hired a bodyguard," Zakarias says, finally, "I'm sure you can understand why one would be worried about inviting a group of armed people into one's home, especially with events being what they are."

"I assure you I meant no disrespect."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"The offense was ours first by not offering to divest ourselves of our armaments at your doorstep." he gestures to the sheathed 'wand' on his belt. "For that, I apologize profusely." he says graciously his hand rising in a flourish to his forehead as the elf bows. His hand is held in the Thieve's Cant hand-symbol for 'Safety Here?' He looks closely to see if the guard, mayor, or [unlikely] his wife recognize the gesture.*

"Now, you were going to recommend an inn?" he continues smoothly.
* none of his companion's should. Hey, I have a unique language, might as well use it.
stavaros_the_arcane

GEORGIA FIDDLER
Arkrite wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:07 am "Yes, I-"

"Can I come out, sir?" a grumpy voice calls from behind the wall hanging.

Karia is now laughing uncontrollably, her head resting against the table.

"Karia, please," Zakarias says, looking quite embarrassed, "Traver, you can come out now."

The grizzled man steps out of the alcove, giving everybody at the table a suspicious glare.

"Sorry, but times being what they are we have hired a bodyguard," Zakarias says, finally, "I'm sure you can understand why one would be worried about inviting a group of armed people into one's home, especially with events being what they are."

"I assure you I meant no disrespect."
Georgia is sporting the most pleased grin on her face at Karia's laughter. Any time a bard can get an audience reaction like that is a good day.

"Nothin' ta fret over Mister Mayor. Circumstances being what they are; in unsure times like these you do what you gotta do to make sure home and kin stay safe. Especially with armed strangers. We've got thick enough skin not to take umbrage at something like that."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"Ahem. Right," Zakarias nods to Georgia before turning his attention to Aldan, "Well, there is two. The Golden Grain is a fine inn, but I prefer the atmosphere at the Boozy Badger myself."

"It's smaller, but it has a great atmosphere."

"He likes the wine too," Karia whispers to Georgia.

Zakarias clears his throat again, glancing at his wife, "Beyond that I'm not entirely sure who'd be the best person to talk to in regards to the entire town."

"Well you could ask Vilma," Karia offers.

"I'm sure that poor Mrs Merridie has far better things to do-"

Karia just gives her husband a sad look, "Oh the poor old lady is terribly lonely. I see her at the window all the time, and I just don't get out to visit as much as I used to."

"I'm not entirely sure she'd open the door to a group of strangers, dear," Zakarias points out.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13

"Maybe you could introduce us. I'm sure a lonely old woman wouldn't mind having someone to talk to for an hour or two."