IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Shock

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13

Tyragorn sidestepped the wild hammer blow and the man was down before he could react further. He looked around at the others before stating the obvious. "There is something wrong with this man. I did not expect that reaction."
stavaros_the_arcane

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

GEORGIA FIDDLER

"We probably shouldn't leave him lying there.Could some of you big strong folks pick him up so we can get him out of the street?" Georgia said. "Maybe he'll be more reasonable to talk to after he's slept it off."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan strides up to the smithy and the home attached. His spectral hand beats him there and is already knocking.

"Ho the house. Can anyone attend? There was an altercation." Aldan says loudly.

"Do not fear though, I'm fine." he adds.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:
Items of Interest: Goodberries (2 - each heals 4 hp)
"There is something wrong with this man. I did not expect that reaction."
Zasio nods. "Obviously, he was acting more animal than man. That is why I used the flat sides of my blades." He glances down at the unconscious blacksmith then adds. "My apologies for the rough handling of you family."
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:45 pm"We probably shouldn't leave him lying there.Could some of you big strong folks pick him up so we can get him out of the street?" Georgia said. "Maybe he'll be more reasonable to talk to after he's slept it off."
"A good suggestion." Zasio says as he sheathed his swords and began picking up the blacksmith.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

Jessica Bright

Jessica dashed foward to help Zasio with the subdued blacksmith.

"Aldan keep the locals out of the way. Tyragon give him a hand. Give me as much time as you can." Jessica ordered leading the pair into the smithy.

"Put him down gently, he's in a bad way, was before we arrived. I'll patch him up, once we set him down. Probably best we at least bind his hands first. I think it's prudent what happened to his wife, and someone he's doesn't blame, should be the one doing it. I'm new to this... What do you think? " Jessica confidence faded as she hit less solid ground of questioning and looked to the ranger.
Medicine: 1d20+5 24
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13

Tyragorn nodded. "This is why we're here. We should try to take him home."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan, who had just knocked and called for folk to come out just looks in askance at the cleric who just requested him to keep locals away. He sighs and prepares himself for quick talking.

Just out of curiosity, he tries the door to see if it's unlocked.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The door swings inwards as Aldan tries the latch.
The house is is dark, but even standing at the door you can see the house is a mess with random things scattered all over the floor. At first glance looks as though somebody tossed the house looking for something, with furniture upended, clothing, kitchen utensils, plates, pans, even some blacksmithing tools littered across the floor.
stavaros_the_arcane

"HOO-WEE, that's some mess. Like a tornado came through here. I'm guessing our fella here's been real ornery to more than just visiting in-laws" Georgia says stepping into the house."I'm gonna see if I can find a light for those of us that ain't got dark vision."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Jumping because the bard literally teleported to behind him, Aldan barely managed not to cry out in surprise. It would be... un-thief-ly.

Aldan listens to see if Georgia's exclamation roused anyone in any of the back rooms, motioning her for silence. If he hears nothing he'll gesture for her to proceed. "It is daytime, we can just open some shutters." Aldan suggests.

Aldan, unbothered by the dark, starts his own search for clues on who might of done this, what they might have been looking for, any places they might have forgotten to look, if they seemed to find whatever they were looking for (for example, if the chaotic searching stops at some point as if interrupted by discovery). Whatever his investigation can tell him.
Investigation: 1d20+5 10 Alas, Columbo he is not.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Silence reigns as Aldan listens, and as you enter the house and open the shutters it's easy to see that not only is nobody here, but there isn't even anywhere for a person to hide. The closest option is the bedroom, which is separate from the rest of the open house, but is largely barren of any large furniture, and a quick check shows nothing under the bed.

The only area that isn't surrounded by detritus appears to be a small table by the corner where a spinning wheel and a set of needles and hooks that one might use in embroidery. In this one area there is no debris, and seems to have been left in a meticulously clean.

For those carrying the unconscious blacksmith the trip to drop him off on his bed is frustrating, as there are lots of things underfoot, but otherwise easily accomplished.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan stands from examining the floor debris. He walks over to the window that overlooked the outside forge and the spectral hand floated out to get piece of unworked iron.

He holds up the unworked metal. "This counts as 'cold iron' right? Because the blacksmith has been replaced or compromised or something." Aldan says confidently.

"HE is the one who did this." he gestures around the room. "And whatever he is, he has a serious hate for the Goddess."

His mage hand sweeps aside the debris of what used to be a house-altar with a pulverized visage of the deity and the faintly glowing appendage points at hammer blows preserved in the floor.
stavaros_the_arcane

"I don't know about that. He didn't come off as 'not right' to me, or at least not the right type of 'not right' if ya get my meaning; he was just really really angry and lashing out." Georgia noted.

"I mean I'd put him closer to those paranoid villagers we met earlier than the carpenter I bought my new stool off of. That guy seemed like he wasn't quite right in the head and he was just going through the motions of his daily life with no understanding of the tasks. Totally different flavour of weird. This Fella at least had the presence of mind not to smash what I can only assume are his wife's things."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"So," Aldan says summarizing, "you're saying the unsmashed wife things are evidence that he is not 'replaced', the human husband feelings and recognition are still there. But he is just not right in the head - i.e. some poison or magic or disease is at play. Right? Cuz it's not just paranoia. I know paranoia." He says ironically.

"Can anyone detect magical influences, poison, or disease? Sister Bright, you seem to know medical matters, is there even a 'Mad Human' Disease?" he asks.

Aldan snaps his fingers remembering something. "You short-lived races need sleep and dreams, even if something isn't affecting him now could something be disturbing these people as they sleep, stealing or corrupting their dreams and making them behave erratically?"

"We should at least check for what we can check for - Detecting magic and/or examining him for poison or disease. Anyone?"

He looks at the unworked iron in his hands. "Maybe we can check if he's a fey changeling. I'm going to press this against his skin to see if there's a reaction." Aldan approaches the unconscious man, and, careful not to rouse him, touches his version of 'cold iron' to the smith*.

*I'm pretty sure that even if he were fey this would do nothing, but Aldan doesn't know these things.
stavaros_the_arcane

Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:13 pm "So," Aldan says summarizing, "you're saying the unsmashed wife things are evidence that he is not 'replaced', the human husband feelings and recognition are still there. But he is just not right in the head - i.e. some poison or magic or disease is at play. Right? Cuz it's not just paranoia. I know paranoia." He says ironically.
"You don't need to convince me that your an expert in that. I'm not gonna say that none of that stuff you mentioned is in play, and we should check for em anyways, but I'm leaning towards something a bit more mundane. We know a couple things. Jarrak said that there were reports of missing people. We know that Tyragorn's sister is supposed to be here. I think that we can say with some certainty that she is not here."

Georgia moves to inspect the spinning wheel, trying to get an idea of the last time it was used.
(OOC: Investigation 1d20+3: 6)
"So if I had to hazard a guess I'd say that before he snapped and tried to beat his own kinfolk with a hammer,he'd been stewing in a right mess of emotions for however long his wife's been gone. Worry, grief, guilt, anger, and the like all bottled up. And suddenly a handy dandy outlet for all those feelings walks up and says hello. Granted if we want to know for sure we should wake him up and see if he's settled down enough to actually talk to us. We'd tie his hands first, no sense letting him reach for another hammer if he's still ornery as a bull with a bee sting."

OOC: I love how Georgia has become the optimistic voice of reason playing off Aldan's Pessimism and paranoia.