IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Shock

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13

Tyragorn hadn't even drawn his sword when he got outside and saw the goblin go down. "Where did that come from?"
Tattooedman

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:
Objects of Interest: Goodberries (2 - each heals 4 hp)
Tyragon wrote:"Where did that come from?"

"From over that way." Zasio answered while he pointed in the direction the goblin had come from, then he turned towards the sound of the noise he'd heard coming from the stables.

OOC wrote:Looking towards the stables to see if I can locate the source of the noise.

Perception Check Roll(1d20)+4: 4,+4 Total:8, pretty sure that'll miss whatever is making that noise.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan confiscates the knife and searches the body for anything of value or identification (maybe emblem of clan or tribe he/it belongs too) as well as binding it with rope as the others come up.

"Keep eyes out, there might be more." he states while he works. "Also, we saw no one leave the Golden inn on way to the ruins. Did you get a chance to tell them clearly we were going to be exploring the ruined inn?" he asks more softly.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn nodded. "If anyone took notice, they hid it well." He peered in the direction of the stables. "They all seemed to be ignoring us as much as possible."
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Georgia Fiddler
Flynnarrel wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:55 am Aldan

Aldan confiscates the knife and searches the body for anything of value or identification (maybe emblem of clan or tribe he/it belongs too) as well as binding it with rope as the others come up.

"Keep eyes out, there might be more." he states while he works. "Also, we saw no one leave the Golden inn on way to the ruins. Did you get a chance to tell them clearly we were going to be exploring the ruined inn?" he asks more softly.

"I floated it out there shortly before we left. I didn't notice a reaction out of anyone but those folk seem to be in a deep depressed rut save for the Bartender. I hope I wasn't too subtle." Georgia says as she moves to inspect the passed out goblin. "Hmmm, well one tidbit we picked up was that there were attacks on the town by goblins some years back. Seeing one in town raises some questions."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

It's relatively easy to figure out what's happening at the Stable, as you can easily make out the sound of tools being knocked over before the sounds of somebody running can be heard.

Shortly an middle aged balding man in threadbare work clothes comes charging around the corner holding a pitchfork like a soldier might pack a spear. While the man's relative skill might be lacking the reach and sharpened prongs of his pitchfork are nothing to scoff at.

He slows when he sees your group, casting them a suspicious look, "What's all this th-"

His words trail off when he spots the goblin, his suspicions of the party instantly forgotten he lowers his pitchfork into the ground, prongs first, so he can lean on it.

"Hells below, is that a goblin?"

Aldan doesn't find much of worth besides the knife already in his possession. The goblin only really has a tattered loincloth and a necklace made out of woven grass and a few animal teeth. The goblin looks a little thin along the limbs, and has a strange tattoo on his chest. It's hard to tell but it kind of looks like somebody carved it into him with a knife then rubbed ash in the wounds. The symbol itself is so poorly drawn it's hard to tell what it is. It appears to be a long somewhat S shaped tube with lines across it, and a couple things coming off the top. It's impossible to tell if it's a misshapen carrot, a misshapen palm tree (for those of who who'd know what that is), or some kind of a misshapen snake.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"I don't think this plan was designed with 'subtle floating' in mind." He says a bit sourly to the bard's words. "But later we need to talk about a particular patron in there. Either way we're marked and tailed, just remember we are being watched as we go on from here on out."

Aldan uncovered the branding. "Too ambiguous to be an arcanely-significant marking. Religious symbol perhaps?" he asks the group, especially the priestess.

He immediately straitens up to regard the stablehand. "Yes, my good man, very astute - a goblin, indeed. Stay back for now while we determine if the goblin is safe to approach for others."

Aldan quickly turns back to the others and speaks in low, rushed tones. "We have no legal authority here to hold and question this guy, though Tyragorn's reputation may buy us some leeway in that regard. What do you guys want to do? Take him somewhere and try to question him? Question him here? Turn him over and hope we can back-track where he came from? Which option works best for you guys?"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The man from the stables raises a set of big busy eyebrows, "What,it's still alive? Well, hells, I can help you with that!"

The man goes to pull the pitchfork out of the ground.
OOC: Anybody who can beat a 5 for a sense motive check can tell that the Stablehand can easily be talked out of killing the goblin, though he'll be largely confused as to why anybody would want to let one live.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

[Since 1s are not autofail in 5e Aldan makes Insight on a 1.]

Aldan raises hands in a placating gesture. "Woah there, partner. Your enthusiasm is appreciated but won't be needed. We can possibly get information about where this little guy comes from and how many others of his ilk there are. I'm wondering how he got all the way to the middle of town and why he came this far in. Might you have a place we can question him out of the sun and out of sight of the decent folk of this town? And what's your name while we're at it? Mine's Aldan, Tallymin, Special Emissary from the Duke" Aldan says.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn shrugged. "It's a goblin that attacked us in broad daylight. We don't need to worry about legal authority. I say we question it and be done with it."

"And I know what that means. I'm not in favor of cold-blooded murder but let's face it; we can't let it go and we know what will happen if we turn it over to the village. I'll take that blood on my hands if I have to."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"Uh, Killian Gade," The man says.

The instant you mention being an emissary of the Duke he suddenly looks like he's trying very hard to look happy and pleasant while trying to find an excuse to be anywhere else.

"Goblins are horrible little creatures. Blood thirsty and vicious. They attacked the village years back but we showed them what for," he says in response to Tyragorn's comment looks around, "Where are the rest of them?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"That is what we will try to find out, my good man." Aldan says smoothly. "Can we use your stables there to question this one? And would you be so kind as not to let us be disturbed?"

Without really waiting, Aldan will ask the stronger folk in the party to pick up the bound and unconscious goblin and follow him into the stables.

Once in the stables with the goblin situated with intimidating looking folk on all sides, an effort of will summons forth a hand which scoops up a cup of water from a nearby trough and pours it on the goblins head to wake him. A second cup is nearby to throw in the goblin's face as a deterrent to unhelpful screaming.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:

While the others talk with the recently introduced Killian, Zasio looks over the goblin sizing the creature up. He notices right off that the creature is extremely thin; a quick check under its shirt shows that the goblin hasn't eaten regularly in a while. This causes Zasio's forehead to wrinkle as that fact clashes with his knowledge that the nearby forest and swamp are teeming with wildlife and should easily provide the goblin enough food.

Another thing that the ranger picks up on is the quality of the knife the goblin had pulled. It was a finely made steel knife, something the goblin (nor any other members of his clan) should not be able to craft.

Then there was the fact that the goblin attacked Aldan when he challenged it. Goblins NEVER do that, UNLESS they have an advantage of some kind. Be it simply greater number than their intended targets or some kind of magical trump card. Well besides being unable to run away that is, then they will fight almost like a cornered animal.

Everything the ranger knows about goblins tells him that this one should have retreated. It is something he quietly shares with the group as they make their way into the enclosed space for a bi more privacy.
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

With this new information Aldan, after the townsperson was out of earshot, turned to the group. "So, what questions should we ask?"
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:

"Why is he alone?" Zasio answers. "Why isn't he hunting in the forest or swamp?"