B.A.D. People (M&M 3e-Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EnigmaticOne

Re: B.A.D. People (M&M 3e Recruiting until 1/8)

Post by EnigmaticOne »

CaptainChaos wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:10 pm Quick question, how long ago did the Lor homeworld get attacked by the Collapsar and Star Khan invaded the Republic?
If we're using the Freedom City 3e timeline straight up, it's 2015 or so. Collapsar consumed Magna-Lor in 2012, and the following year Blackstar and Tellax created the Blackguard and Argents.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Still tweaking the background but I wanted to get the build posted for review. Comments and suggestions welcome as always. Thanks.

Stargirl - PL 12
Given name: Azure Blais
Hair: White, Eyes: Violet

Abilities:
Strength 2, Stamina 6, Agility 3, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages:
Eidetic Memory, Evasion, Ranged Attack 10, Uncanny Dodge

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 4 (+6), Deception 4 (+6), Expertise: Astronomy 8 (+10), Insight 6 (+8), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion 4 (+6), Technology 6 (+8)

Powers:
Comprehend: Comprehend 2 (Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood)
Energy Control: Damage 12 (cosmic, DC 27; Increased Range: ranged)
AE: Healing: Healing 10
AE: Move Object: Move Object 8 (Alternate; 6 tons, DC 23; Damaging)
AE: Remote Sensing: Remote Sensing 8 (Alternate; Affects: 2 Types, inc. Visual, Range: 1 mile)
Flight: Flight 9 (Speed: 1000 miles/hour, 2 miles/round)
AE: Movement: Movement 3 (Alternate; Space Travel 3: other galaxies)
Immunity: Immunity 10 (Disease, Environmental Conditions (All), Poison, Starvation & Thirst, Suffocation (All))
Movement: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Zero Gravity)
Protection: Protection 8 (+8 Toughness)
Senses: Senses 5 (Darkvision, Infravision, Tracking: Visual 1: -1 speed rank, Ultravision)

Offense:
Initiative +3
Energy Control: Damage 12, +12 (DC 27)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 12)
Move Object: Move Object 8, +12 (DC 23)
Throw, +12 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +2 (DC 17)

Complications:
Enemy: The Imperium and the Grue would stop at nothing to attack Stargirl if they knew she was from the Lor Republic.
Motivation: Responsibility: Since she first demonstrated powers as a pre-teen, she was raised to use them responsibly and only to help others.

Languages:
English

Defense:
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 12, Toughness 14, Will 10

Power Points:
Abilities 42 + Powers 75 + Advantages 13 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Defenses 29 = 180

Background:

Azura grew up on Earth but was born on the planet Autera in the Lor Republic to Jelos and Ruva Rell-M. She is the younger of 2 children. Her father is a merchant and her mother a botanist. When Imperium forces attacked their planet, the family hastily boarded a ship along with other families attempting to flee. Before the ship could even leave the system, it was attacked by Imperium ships and damaged. Azura’s parents strapped her into an escape pod and jettisoned it. They did the same for their son. By putting them in separate pods they hoped at least one of them would survive.

Azura’s pod soon encountered a freak vortex that subjected her craft to strange cosmic energies while hurtling it through time and space towards a distant solar system. The small ship exited the vortex and sped towards the inner planets. It entered the atmosphere of the third planet and crash landed in a forest in Maine. A nearby hiker and photographer Kenneth Blais saw the crash and investigated. As he neared the wreckage he began to film his approach, narrating along the way. He had expected a meteorite or, at best, a piece of space junk but he was awed and stunned by his discovery.

Carefully approaching the small ship, he examined the exterior from all angles. He soon found what looked like a hatch. After much trial and error it opened, revealing an infant. He leapt back in shock and fell over a large rock, twisting his ankle. After recovering his wits, he crawled to the hatch and retrieved the infant. It was mostly unharmed, bruises, scratches, and minor abrasions only. Kenneth carefully wrapped the infant in a spare shirt, gathered his gear, and headed for his truck.

When he arrived home, he explained everything to his wife Meagan. They brought the infant to an orphanage the next day, stating only that Kenneth had found it abandoned on the side of the road. They filed paperwork for the adoption, pending location of any living relatives. After a couple of months, they received news that the adoption was approved.

They named the infant girl Azure. To help her blend in with society, they bought blue contacts to hide her violet eyes. Kenneth and Meagan let her hair white, figuring they could explain that.

Everything was normal until puberty struck. Puberty is a tough time for a normal human girl but when Azure suddenly started developing unusual abilities, Kenneth and Meagan felt it was time to tell Azure about how she became part of their family.

Azure knew that she was different. After all, having white hair and violet eyes was not exactly normal for a human but she had been told they were due to a genetic flaw. Now she was learning that she wasn’t human, that she was from another planet. It was too much for the emotional young girl and she ran away. She returned hours later, tears streaming down her face, and apologized.

Over the next several years, her abilities grew. Azure was instructed to keep her abilities secret, for fear she would be taken away from them. Azure reluctantly agreed to do so. As she grew up, Azure discovered many new and interesting abilities. She learned she could defy gravity; see things others couldn’t, understand foreign languages easier, she was more durable and didn’t get hurt as much, and others. She found herself looking up at the stars at night wondering if she had any family out there somewhere. Azure knew she wanted to study the stars and, in the process, perhaps learn a bit more about herself.

Azure attended the Hanover Institute of Technology and majored in astronomy. Her experiences there helped her immensely. During her junior year she even met a nice young man, an aspiring physicist named Robert ‘Bobby’ Masse. The two of them started as friends but soon the relationship grew and before long, they two were dating. They even met each other’s parents.

The summer after graduation would change her life. While enjoying a fine summer day in the park, she heard an explosion followed by sirens. While others were hurrying away from the commotion, she ran towards it. About dozen blocks away, a building was on fire. Injured people were running and screaming from the scene. Paramedics, the fire department, and the police were on the scene. They were doing everything they could to rescue the people trapped in the building. Soon, another building exploded blocks away, followed by another. Local superheroes arrived to assist in the rescue but there were too many people trapped and the cause of the explosions had yet to be determined.

Azure stood and watched, unsure what to do. Her parents had instructed her to hide her abilities, yet here were several people like her using theirs to help others. Finally, she made her decision. Dashing into a nearby store, she grabbed a bandana, tied it around her face, and dashed out of the store leaving the price tag and cash on the counter. She flew from building to building, helping rescue the trapped occupants. When the crisis was over, the realization of what she had just done hit her. She panicked and flew home to her parents’ house.

Azure and her parents discussed what happened. To her surprise, they were not mad at her. Just the opposite, they were proud of her for using her abilities unselfishly. They discussed the possibility of Azure using her abilities again in the future if the need arose and suggested Azure start wearing a disguise like a wig and glasses. They ordered some costumes off the internet for her. From them, they fashioned a heroic identity for their daughter, Stargirl.

Stargirl made several appearances in Freedom City over the rest of the summer. She got to meet some of the Freedom League as well including Daedalus, Captain Thunder, and The Raven. Near the end of the summer, she was invited to visit Freedom Hall. It was there she learned who and what she was. In a storage area, she saw the wreckage of a small space craft. She recognized it from the photos and video her father had shown her years before. When she told Captain Thunder, he simply nodded and told her to follow him.

He brought her to a nearby room and showed her holographic videos recovered from the wreckage. He explained that they believed them to be from her home planet. Captain Thunder went on to explain how they found the wreckage and the years of research the team had done. Then he gave her the most amazing news she could ever imagine. He told her that she was from the planet Autera, a member of the Lor Republic, what was left of it, that is. He told the story of the destruction of Magna-Lor, the invasion by the Imperium and the Grue, and how the Republic military was virtually destroyed. Azure realized she may still have blood relatives out there. It was possible they survived the invasion. Her people needed her. She might not be able to defeat an army on her own but her people needed hope. They needed someone to inspire them, to show them that all is not lost.
Last edited by CaptainChaos on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Just so everyone is aware, my preliminary character studies were just to see if anything jumped out at me and to read the background. My normal procedure is then to point out any character elements that really struck me as problematic and THEN to sit back and imagine I was reading a comic* and this character was in it...would the character catch my interest? What stories do I see the character involved in? Do they have any romantic entanglements? Personal life? Enemies of note? Etc. My process is to look at every character as if they were going to appear in the next issue of my comic and how that writing would go. It's all about the (potential) story once mechanical issues are dealt with.

*understanding full well there are some serious differences between comics and comicbook inspired rpgs.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I smoothed out the background a little, expanded on some details a little so it makes a little more sense. We all know I submitted essentially a Transfomer because, well, its me. I just filed off the serial number. I pretty much had Blitzwing in mind (conceptually, I was thinking OC Autobot) when I designed him, even if the height/ weight doesn't quite fit the concept precisely...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Interesting how it seems three of our submissions ended up being constructs... Well, yours is technically 'alive' at least, Bladewind.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

And only so because I find constructs to be a major point sink... I tend to prefer my robots to be "alive" game mechanically. Don't have to rely on outside sources to repair, no headaches about HP use, fatigue or the like... less complicated IMO.

But then, i have done the giant mecha as a suit of armor before...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

To be fair, that was actually a central gripebof mine when I was making Facet. Had some interesting ideas in mind for abilities that just simply wouldn't slip in when I had so many points covering his lack of a stamina score. If I wanted to keep him vaguely combqt capable, that is. Thus my solution to that was to simply give him an alternate "battle mode" using Metamorph. Though I still didn't really get everything I had been hoping for, I'm not nearly as great at point pinching when making powers.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Added a background for Stargirl. I apologize if it's a bit long but sometimes I get carried away.
Bill from Accounting

Post by Bill from Accounting »

KAIJU

Height: 9 feet
Weight: 1,000 pounds
Skin: Pale
Eyes: Gold
Hair: Black/Blue

ABILITIES:
STRENGTH 16, STAMINA 14, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT -1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS:
Athletics 2 (+18), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+8), Awareness Expertise: Survival 5 (+7), Intimidation 8 (+9/+13), Perception 5 (+7), Ranged Combat: Atomic Power 5 (+6)

ADVANTAGES:
All-out Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Takedown, Diehard, Great Endurance

POWERS:
Kaiju Physiology: Growth 2 (Innate, Permanent; 9 feet tall), Senses 4 (Low-Light Vision, Acute, Extended, and Tracking Smell); 9 PP

Radiation Absorption: Immunity 10 (Radiation Effects), Immunity 1 (Environmental Radiation, Affects Others Only, Burst Area 2), Feature 1 (She can cause her hair to glow softly with radioactive phosphorescence), Feature 1 (She visibly glows in the presence of radioactivity above a safe threshold, with the intensity of the glow indicating the intensity of the radiation); 15 PP

Atomic Power: Array (12 PP)
• Atomic Beam: Damage 12 (Line Area 2, Distracting, Unreliable: 5 uses); 12 PP
• Atomic Blast: Ranged Damage 18 (Extended Range, Improved Critical 2, Distracting, Unreliable: 5 uses); 1 PP

Kaiju Movement: Leaping 6 (500 feet; Alternate Effect: Swimming 6), Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Aquatic), Movement 1 (Wall-crawling, Limited to material Toughness less than Strength), Speed 3 (16 MPH); 13 PP

Kaiju Resistance: Immunity 10 (Aging, Disease, Cold, Heat, Pressure, Vacuum, Poison, Starvation and Thirst, Suffocation), Impervious Toughness 12 (Limited to Physical Damage Only), Protection 3, Regeneration 2 (Every 5 rounds, 1 rank Persistent), Enhanced Trait 2 (Diehard, Great Endurance); 24 PP

Roar: Enhanced Trait 2 (Intimidation +4, Sense-dependent: Auditory); 1 PP

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Unarmed +8 (Close, Damage 16, DC 31)
Atomic Blast +6 (Ranged, Damage 18, DC 33)

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7, Parry +7
Toughness +17, Fortitude +14, Will +8

Abilities 70 + Powers 75 + Advantages 6 + Skills 14 + Defenses 15 = 180/180 PP

BACKGROUND:
Ages ago, a race of humanoids on a planet similar to Earth began to develop superpowers. These abilities were genetic, and they continued to mix together and deepen, growing in strength and complexity with every new generation. Eventually, the powers would develop to a point where nobody would have been able to control them anymore. Before this point was reached, the nuclear confrontation between the governments of the world and a powerful group of villains resulted in the planet's apocalypse. A young girl remained in the destruction of the world, however, her powers allowing her to survive in the nuclear wasteland. She referred to herself by the name given to describe her powers: Kaiju.

After many years, Kaiju retreated to the ocean depths as the radiation levels of her world's surface declined, instead feeding on the planet's natural geothermal radiation from its core. She remained dormant underwater for thousands of years, growing in strength. Eventually, Kaiju was unknowingly awakened and drawn to the surface by a group of interplanetary explorers that sought resources. When they learned of Kaiju's presence after she destroyed one of their recon drones, the scavengers monitored her from their ships. Eventually they decided that she would be valuable if sold to the highest bidder, whether to be used as a weapon or an exotic pet.

The explorers engaged Kaiju in combat. Despite her superior strength, durability, and power, Kaiju's attackers were successful in subduing her using advanced technology and tactics. Kaiju was caged on a spacecraft and en route to be delivered to her buyer. In her weakened state, the atomic woman was unable to escape, until an accident caused the ship to leak radiation into her prison quarters. Feeding off this, Kaiju regained enough strength to damage the ship so badly that her captors were forced to evacuate. Kaiju remained on the wrecked vessel as it drifted towards the nearest planet...

COMPLICATIONS:
Power Loss: Kaiju feeds off all forms of radiation, and requires regular "refueling". If she goes long enough without absorbing radiation, her powers will begin to fade, and she will eventually starve. The effects in the Atomic Power Array, as well as any power stunts, share the same limited pool of five uses.
Accident: Kaiju's strength and atomic powers are a disaster waiting to happen. She does not exercise restraint in a fight, and risks serious collateral damage or irradiating an area.
Motivation: Kaiju has developed behavior like that of a territorial animal. She has a driving force to restore balance to nature whenever that balance is disrupted.
Quirk: Kaiju was just a young girl when nuclear war ravaged her planet, leaving her alone to fend for herself. Her formal education is minimal, and she has had no contact with the more advanced technology of the cosmos. She is fiercely independent, sarcastic, direct, stubborn, and confrontational.
Last edited by Bill from Accounting on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:02 am, edited 10 times in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

It's a godzilla analog!
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Bill from Accounting

Post by Bill from Accounting »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:36 am It's a godzilla analog!
What? Really? Well, I guess when I look at it again, I could see how you might think that, but it's a bit of a stretch...

but yeah totally
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Bill from Accounting wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:18 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:36 am It's a godzilla analog!
What? Really? Well, I guess when I look at it again, I could see how you might think that, but it's a bit of a stretch...

but yeah totally
Definitely wasn't saying it as a bad thing xD I like Kaiju
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I noticed the Godzilla similarities as well. I think it's an interesting character. Godzilla is my favorite Kaiju. My wife prefers Mothra.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

I like the Godzilla vibe the character, in an odd way it fits outer space feel of the game.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!