OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Spectrum

Re: Interest/Recruitment D&D 5E - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Closing Jan 19

Post by Spectrum »

I want to thank you guys for the fun that I've been having playing around with character voice. I have really enjoyed trying to write Beowulf from the perspective of a soccer hooligan.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Interest/Recruitment D&D 5E - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Closing Jan 19

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I feel like I've missed something there...
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

How do you write a background when you nothing of the setting? Baeren is a very simple and fun character; beer, booze and babes. I've been playing with a piece to tell a story in his voice. Beowulf works well on both counts.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Elwen

Art by Fernanda Suarez.

A young lady of high birth, Elwen was sent from her family's manor to a monastery as a small child, so that she could be trained to reach her full mental and physical potential. Never knowing anything but luxury, she quickly took it for granted, and even came to resent it. A life of contemplation and peaceful study felt inauthentic. She needed to experience life as it was lived by the less fortunate!

When she felt she had learned enough at the monastery to survive on her own, Elwen left, taking with her only the most meager supplies (by her standards). She would immerse herself in the simple, rustic life. And what could be more simple or rustic than a nowhere village like Orlane?

Race: Variant human (bonus feat: Observant)
Class: Monk
Background: Sage (Feature: Researcher)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Languages: Common, Elvish, Goblin, Orc
Abilities (16, 15, 14, 14, 13, 9)
Str 14
Dex 16
Con 16 (+1 race)
Int 13
Wis 16 (+1 race, +1 feat)
Cha 9

Passive Investigation: 16
Passive Perception: 20
HP: 11
AC: 16 (+3 dex, +3 wis)
Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity
Initiative: +3
Melee attack: +5 shortsword (1d6+3) and +5 unarmed (1d4+3)
Ranged attack: +5 dart (1d4+3)

Class features: Unarmored Defense, Martial Arts (1d4), Proficiency bonus +2
Feats: Observant

Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, Athletics, History, Insight, Perception
Tool Proficiencies: Painter's tools
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons, shortswords

Equipment: Shortsword, explorer's pack, 10 darts, a bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife, a letter from a dead colleague posing a question you have not yet been able to answer, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp

Personality: I am intensely curious about everything, the mundane and the fantastic alike.
Ideal: Learning. The world is full of new and wonderful discoveries.
Bond: Family. One day I must return home and fulfill my obligations to my family.
Flaw: For some reason people don't appreciate it when I tell them their peasant hardships are fascinating.

Monks might be the most MAD class in 5e, in my limited experience, so I thought this was a good opportunity to try one out. Elwen here does two things well: she has a high melee damage output, and she notices everything. She means well, but she's basically a rich tourist "slumming it" for kicks, which seems like a good reason for a low charisma score.
Last edited by RainOnTheSun on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I'm working on a Paladin or martial cleric
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

I'm putting together a Half-Elf Ranger.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Might adjust a couple things and add the fluff bits but here is my Tiefling Bard.
----------

Georgia Fiddler

Race: Tiefling
Class: Bard level 2
Background: Entertainer
Feature: By popular demand
Alignment: CG
Sex: female
Height: 5’9
Weight: 150
Languages: Common, Infernal,

Proficiency: Musical instruments (Fiddle, Lute, Lyre), Thieves tools, Disguise kit, Light armor, Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords

Stats:
Str 8 (-1)
Dex 16 (+3)
Con 13 (+1)
Int 12 (+1)
Wis 10 (+0)
Cha 18 (+4)

Passive Perception: 10
HP: 16
AC: 15
Saving Throws: Dex, Cha
Initiative: +3
Melee attack: +5 Rapier (1d8+3), +5 Dagger (1d4+3)

Skills: Perform, Acrobatics, Persuasion, Investigation, Perception

Racial traits: Darkvision, Hellish resistance, infernal legacy

Spells:
Cantrips; Thaumaturgy, Vicious Mockery, Prestidigitation
Level 1 spells (5 known, 3 slots); Dissonant whispers, Faerie Fire, Sleep, Healing word, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Class abilities: Bardic Inspiration (D6), Jack of All Trades, Song of Rest (D6)

Equipment: Rapier, Studded leather armor, Fiddle, Lute, Entertainer pack, thieves tools, Dagger, extra costume, favor of an admirer, Folding Stool, 13gp (-14cp)
The nest contains 34 copper, 11 silver, and one high quality bag.
The debris contains two Cloth of Gold Vestimets which are worth 25 gold each, though as standing they won't sell for that much.

Backstory:

The history of the Fiddler family begins with a young farm boy practising his fiddle playing in the woods, approached by a devil and challenged to contest of musical skill with his soul on the line with great wealth and fame as the reward. On that day, young Jonathan made himself a local hero by besting a fiend at its own game... and years later when the devil returned for a rematch he became a legend by proving that he is indeed ‘The Best that’s Ever Been’.

Jonathan Fiddler’s triumph over his hellish adversary set a precedent for his children and their children; from that point on the Fiddler family was known for two key traits, exceptional skill at the musical arts and a long history of overcoming impossible odds through their skill, cunning, and tenacity. Time and again members of the Fiddler family would find themselves in dire situations, often forced to pit themselves against powerful beings and people to protect themselves and the people they care for... and in the end proving themselves the better of their foes.

Another legacy of Jonathan Fiddler’s success was proof that while bound to the deals they make, devils are really sore losers. While his firstborn child was already born by the time of his rematch with the devil, his subsequent children and their children in turn were born with fiendish traits. Several generations later the family is composed mostly of Tieflings, although frankly the family just considers this one more thing they won off their bested foe. The family has become numerous and prosperous over the years, and often members will go out into the world to answer to call

Georgia Fiddler, the latest generation of Fiddlers to reach adulthood idolizes her family’s legacy and has set off into the world to seek adventure and excitement hoping to put her own mark on the family history. With her fiddle in hand, a song in her heart, a gleam in her eyes, and a spring in her step; she seeks to one day match her Great-Grandpa’s achievements and be ‘The Best There’s Ever Been.’
Last edited by stavaros_the_arcane on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

How did she pick up proficiency in thieves tools?
"Something pithy this way comes."
stavaros_the_arcane

Flynnarrel wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:54 am How did she pick up proficiency in thieves tools?
Instead of a 4th musical instrument proficiency from Entertainer. If a background gives a proficiency already given by your class or race you can swap it for another of your choice of the same type. (page 125 PHB). So I picked thieves tools as a different tool proficiency.

I know a rogue was already submitted but frankly thieves tools are a lot more useful than most other tool sets.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Oh, I did not know that. I guess I should pick a new tool proficiency for Aldan instead of getting Thieves tools twice.
stavaros_the_arcane

Flynnarrel wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:11 am Oh, I did not know that. I guess I should pick a new tool proficiency for Aldan instead of getting Thieves tools twice.
Yes you should absolutely do that.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Have you considered taking up cooking? ;~)

Okay, everything seems fine with Elwen and Georgia at first glance.

I've got some crunch going on at work so while I might be around don't be surprised if my responses are pretty slow/lackluster until next weekend.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

So, basic question from someone without a book & using the wiki offered up to build my character - how do you figure out attack bonuses?
Last edited by Tattooedman on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Proficiency bonus plus stat, I think.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Yes, so proficiency at first level is +2 bonus.

So (most) ranged attacks would be Dex + Proficiency (+2)

I say most because some ranged attacks rely on strength while some melee weapons can rely on Dex for hitting/damaging.