[3e] Welcome to the West End - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
ClassDunce

[3e] Welcome to the West End - OOC

Post by ClassDunce »

Welcome to the West End.
Flowing down from Lantern Hill toward Greenbank is the West End of Freedom City. The West End was originally a number of small ethnic communities settled around the end of the 19th century. Today, they have blended together into an overall community, although pockets of the original cultures can still be found, along with a number of newcomers to the area.

It’s a boisterous, mostly lower middle-class, area. Row houses and apartment buildings are common, along with garden-style apartments with common courtyards. Due to cheap housing in its infancy, the West End became home to Irish, Italian, Greek, and Jewish immigrants. African-Americans, Hispanics, and Asians followed in later years. The West End features the best ethnic restaurants in the city, particularly delis and pizza places

Unfortunately, the West End still sees a fair amount of crime, particularly from gangs, and organized crime retains a stronghold here despite the best efforts of the FCPD. Culturally, the West End is squeezed in between Parkside and the new developments like Ashton. This leaves the area with little room to grow, and some feel Freedom City’s growth will eventually mean the end of the older neighborhoods as they’re torn down to make way for new developments.
-I’m looking 4-5 Power Level 8 characters to play in a community based game. Local heroes out to protect a single community in Freedom City.

-What kind of heroes are we looking for? Along the lines of Heroes for Hire, but with less of a mercenary bent. Street Level heroes. Maybe a graduate fresh out of Claremont Academy looking to make a name for themselves. A former villain, or wannabe villain, who has just been roped into protecting their home. A retired Hero who has settled down but is just getting dragged back into the fray. Either they were raised in the West End or just call it home now.

-This is going to be a small game. No global repercussions or world ending threats to be found the characters are just part of a community struggling to maintain with their eyes towards possibly thriving.

-We’re going to start the game with the heroes not knowing each other, Introductions will be Issue 1, and they may or may not even have a heroic identity. I’m not a huge fan of interest threads so this one’s recruiting. This is not first come first serve. This is an open recruitment and I’m going to choose 4-5 characters out of the responses. I have a 3-issue story arc already worked out and ready. With hopes to continue past that.

I've always wanted to play in a Super Hero game where the focus was for the Heroes to make the world a better place. I've never seen that done effectively in any super hero media. I want heroes that want to change the Status Quo. While I find that interesting and amazing, how do you create a game out of that? Where's the logical conflict? That's what I want to do so I figure starting small. Not change the world. But a single community. This game is going to be a little bit of an experiment for me. This is going to be a Role-playing heavy game where I'm going to encourage you to explore the side effects of what your hero being a part of this community means.
Last edited by ClassDunce on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Horsenhero

Re: Welcome to the West End - Recruiting

Post by Horsenhero »

I'm down for this.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

120 PP?

I'm debating. I've had to drop out of games lately due to time, but my show opens after Thanksgiving, which improves the situation.

I kind of like the idea of Knock-Off from META-4, using the background they suggested in the settings thread on the old board, where he's initially only situationally heroic, since his powers depend on others around him.
Knock-Off was left deliberately enigmatic (like Mr. Mystery). He's a hero with no name, no face, who disappears into the crowd when the fighting is done. We know he has a dog (you'll note that in the picture of him sewing "HERO" onto his costume that his face is obscurred in the photo of him with his dog).

Erik, Kyle and I evisioned Knock-Off as the guy who discovers he has super powers, and just decides to fight crime, because that's what people with super powers do. Of course, his powers are never really his powers -- he absorbs the attributes of what he touches, whether that's a steel bar or Protonik. His identity is the costume. Out of it, he's just an ordinary person with an ordinary life. In the costume however, he trades punches with the bad guys, saves the girl, and gets his photo in the newspaper.

Once the fighting is done, Knock-Off heads home, watches TV, and waits for another chance to put on the costume.

He eventually gets recruited for the Reserve, but he isn't the sort that shows up for meetings or hangs out at headquarters. He has an amazing ability to disappear if you turn your back for a moment, and he seems to appear out of nowhere when he's needed.

I like the character concept a lot, and I think it really fits well with an absorber character. It's not his own super-powers or abilities that make him a hero, it's that he can take on other attributes in order to save the day. So, he really struggles with the idea that it's not really him in the costume, he's just a generic hero, hoping to save everyone.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Camus

Post by Camus »

I'm down for this. What about a resented inventor who is working on an army of killer robots to prove he was right, but it's actually incapable of doing just that. Broke and lonely he makes friends of his neighbours and when evil strikes he is forced to use the few robots he managed to build to protect his neighbours, who have become like a family to him
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Interested. I have a social worker/street-level psychic (more super intuition and enhanced social skills than true telepath) and a working-class bike messenger (who might be a werewolf) that I can bring out.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

I’d love opportunity to play a Centurion legacy with Wonder Woman overtones. There for everyone but more focused on being an advocate for women and children in her civilian identity.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

This sounds right up my alley, although I don't really have a character design ready for it yet. Would something like this work well? Not the criminal part, but the "psychic imaginary friend" part.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I like the setting concept, but a character idea doesn't spring to mind immediately that fits that "local hero" vibe. Maybe I'll come up with something to submit.
Shock

Post by Shock »

This really sounds like my kind of game. I'm not sure I'll come up with an idea in a timely manner but it'll be nice to have you active again ClassDunce.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

And is it 2E or 3E?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:42 am And is it 2E or 3E?
Ahh, that would be good to know before going all out on a concept :lol:
ClassDunce

Post by ClassDunce »

It's 3e. I don't see any reason to run 2e anymore.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Mister Alchemy

Terrance Brown used to be called 'Kid Alchemy', after Sonic convinced him that going around calling himself 'Bling' was more than a bit stereotypical. Since he's no longer a kid, that's no longer appropriate, but while he's considered calling himself Doctor Alchemy, that's a little pretentious for a man who dropped out of college. So Mister Alchemy it is. Please don't ask him to turn anything to gold, he focuses on rare Earth metals these days.

In his final year at the Claremont Academy, Terrance found himself wondering what he should do with his powers once he graduated. He'd received the self defense training that they gave every super-kid, but he knew that going out to beat up wrong-doers was not really going to be on his agenda. His powers could easily make him a very nice living, and he'd be able to do so completely legally. But was that really what he was meant to do? And that question led to another question -- meant by whom?

He began to study philosophy and religion, particularly some of the writings of Carl Jung on the subject of alchemy, which portrayed alchemy as a metaphor for the attempt to examine one’s own life, bring it into union with the divine, and perfect the soul. This intrigued him, and so he decided to put off the decision about what to do with his powers until he'd done some more studying on the subject, and became a student at FCU. Some examination of his own life later, he realized that it wasn't enough for him to just achieve that unity, that he had the obligation to share his understanding of it with others.

Out of all the religions in Freedom City, the one that came closest to Terrance's beliefs about reality and truth was the Pinnacle Path, and so he contacted them about joining the faith and acting as a spokesperson. Jeremiah Ross was hesitant -- there've been other supers who've expressed an interest in his philosophy but they've generally been engaged in schemes -- but a lengthy conversation with Terrance convinced him of the young man's sincerity, and so Mister Alchemy became the Pinnacle Path's latest in-house superhero.

Terrance spends quite a bit of time joining his fellow followers of the path in their charitable works. As there are occasional obstacles on the path, he has invested in some means of protecting himself to be better able to protect his fellows, most visibly the suit that he wears that is woven with an incredibly light but tough super-metal of his own creation. He also has quietly developed the power to, with difficulty, turn people into gold for a while, but uses this ability with extreme caution.

Mister Alchemy - PL 8

Abilities: STR 0 | STA 1 | AGL 2 | DEX 1 | FGT 7 | INT 2 | AWE 3 | PRE 4
Powers: Alchemy (Array: Continuous Transform 7 [metals into metals], Precise, AP: Progressive Affliction 9 [resisted by Fortitude; hindered and impaired, disabled and immobile, paralyzed and transformed], Affects Objects, Extra Condition, Tiring), Metal Suit (Protection 6; Strength-based Damage 1; Removable).
Advantages: Benefit 2 (independently wealthy), Connected, Seize Initiative, Taunt.
Skills: Deception 8 (+12), Expertise: Religion 5 (+7), Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+10), Insight 7 (+10), Perception 6 (+9), Persuasion 8 (+12).
Offense: Initiative +2, Unarmed +7 (Close Damage 1), Golding Touch +7 (Close Progressive Fortitude 9).
Defense: Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 4, Toughness 7/1, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 40 + Powers 42 + Advantages 4 + Skills 21 + Defense 13 = 120 points
Complications: Faith--Motivation. Job. Reputation (Pinnacle Path member).
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Bill from Accounting

Post by Bill from Accounting »

I'm interested! I'm assuming 120 PP? And any house rules you implement?

As for my character, would one with a distinctly non-human appearance work? I was thinking of a character I've tinkered with for a while; a lizard person of alien/mutant origin, raised by a young woman. Protects West End at his "mother's" request, and because he views it as his territory.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Sounds interesting. I'll get a character together later tonight or tomorrow.