[3e] Welcome to the West End - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
ClassDunce

Re: Welcome to the West End - Recruiting

Post by ClassDunce »

I really like all of the character ideas thrown out there so far. When you're working on your bios, and a few of you have already done this, try to find someway to tie your character to the community. This could be through your complications or it could just be background.

@Davies, I asked for characters that wanted to change the world. Crashing world markets would certainly do that lol. I dig it.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Knock-Off - PL 8

Strength 1, Stamina 1, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 6, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 2

Advantages
Assessment, Improvised Weapon 4, Ranged Attack 2

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+4), Athletics 2 (+3), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+10), Deception 4 (+6), Expertise: Artist 4 (+5), Insight 8 (+9), Investigation 5 (+6), Perception 6 (+7), Persuasion 4 (+6)

Powers
Mimic: Mimic 6 (Increased Duration: continuous; Limited: One Subject, Resistible: Parry)

Power Settings
Steel Body (Powers: Immunity: Immunity 12, Steel Skin: Protection 7, Steely Limbs: Strength-based Damage 3, Strength +4 (+5))
Stone Body (Powers: Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 5, Protection: Protection 9, Set for Blows: Strength-based Damage 2, Stone Punch: Strength-based Damage 3)

Offense
Initiative +1
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 11)
Throw, +3 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 16)

Languages
Native Language (English)

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 1, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 28 + Powers 42 + Advantages 7 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 23 = 120

Complications
  • Drawback: Sometimes, Knock-off's powers pull in weaknesses as well as powers, and occasionally, a particularly strong person can knock Knock-Off for a loop as he tries to deal with the influx of power.
  • Power Loss: Knock-Off has to touch a person or a material to gain their powers. He can generally control what he gets from what he touches, but he can only copy one subject at a time, the powers eventually fade away until he touches it again, and occasionally, it just doesn't work (there are some power origins that he can't replicate, including trained skills). Lastly, he has only been able to copy solid materials, so there's no turning into lightning, or water, or laughing gas, for him.
  • Relationship: Definitely not the romantic sort of relationship, but Franklin has a dog that he's very fond of. No matter what happens on the street, he knows he has someone to come home to who loves him for who he is.
  • Responsibility: Knock-Off may not be fighting in the big leagues, but he likes to think he's made a positive impact in West End.
  • Secret: Knock-Off doesn't know where his power comes form. This could come back to bite him. Maybe there's a price yet to be paid. Maybe he's a deep cover Grue spy. It's something he doesn't know.
  • Secret Identity: Franklin Perrin keeps his private and public lives separate. Without his costume, he's a mild-mannered artist who manages to make rent with kitschy paintings of puppies. With his costume on, he's Knock-Off, vigilante of West End, the guy who can do anything you can do, but better.
Background
"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." Franklin Perrin feels like he definitely falls under this last category. He can't remember any sort of empowering event, no chemical spill, no bolt of lightning, no space wizard bequeathing power with his dying breath. No, all that happened was that one day, as he brushed past a gentleman on the sidewalk, he could suddenly taste colors and had to fight to keep his feet on the ground. Whoever it was that he'd touched evidently had powers, and, for a period of time, Franklin had them as well. They faded away, but he quickly learned the knack of picking up powers, and even copying the qualities of a material held in his hands.

So, what do you do when you get powers? You put on a costume and you fight crime. And he's been making at least a small dent in it. He generally sticks with the standbys of absorbing the strength of a brick wall, or of a metal pipe picked out of the trash, but when facing something other than gang-bangers, he draws upon the power of whoever he's facing.

Notes
Ideally, I would have liked to been able to do this as an Array instead of Variable, but I couldn't think of a good way to encapsulate him getting the powers of a particular opponent (or teammate) without it.

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

My idea is someone that owns a local pizza place the he inherited from his father after his father was killed during a robbery. My character grew up in the area but moved away for several years. Now that they are in charge of running a business in the area, they have moved back. The character will have kinetic powers.
Davies

Post by Davies »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:23 am Knock-Off - PL 8

Image doesn't appear to be working, Fuzzy.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Actually, since gangs are an issue in this neighborhood, would a member of a local gang work? About as "white hat" as gangs can get: mostly existing for mutual self-defense for people who can't rely on the police to get involved with them. A single metahuman could be the center of a small-time gang pretty easily, I'd imagine.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Davies wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:02 am Image doesn't appear to be working, Fuzzy.
Huh. I can see it even in your quote, but it's probably a permissions thing.
Davies

Post by Davies »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 am
Davies wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:02 am Image doesn't appear to be working, Fuzzy.
So 'twould seem, it's working now.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Good to see you running again, CD.

Since you said retired hero I had this idea for an apparent octagenarian who's glory days are long since passed.

Trevor Lightman was a celebrated hero in his day, part of the international scene since he could run anywhere in the world in very little time. It was an ingenious trap that eventually did him in as one villain trapped him in a temporal alteration field. He went from late 20's to early 70's in a heartbeat. That was 10 years ago. His team decided that it was best he 'retire', change his identity to protect him from the multitude of enemies that may come for revenge. As the neighborhood declines Trevor will not be able to stay in retirement and while he may not have the stamina for international bursts of speed he can still manage a few tricks. His frailty means he needs assistance so he has rebranded himself as Speed Walker.

[Let me know if this is too silly a concept.]
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Davies wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:27 am
FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 am
So 'twould seem, it's working now.
Not working for me. Looking at the URL, you didn't use a direct link. That might have something to do with it too.
ClassDunce

Post by ClassDunce »

Alright an overview of the hero’s active in Freedom City can’t be talked about without discussing the Freedom League even if they are Nationwide at this point. The team works out of the Lighthouse currently with Daedalus, Star Knight and Thunderbolt living on the orbiting satellite. Freedom Hall is still their base within Freedom City however no member of the Freedom League lives there. The active members of the League currently are.

Bowman – Field Leader
Daedalus
Thunderbolt
Star Knight
Johnny Rocket
Lady Liberty
Siren

Alright so there are some missing names from that list that are currently in the official Freedom League but not in mine. I removed Centuria because someone expressed interest in playing a Centurion Legacy. If that character comes to fruition and is accepted then I don’t want Centuria taking that role unless that player would like her in the setting. If Centuria is made part of the setting, and I like her *shrugs*, then I’ll make her a solo hero. Independent of the Freedom League because I find that more interesting for her.

Doctor Metropolis will also be filling a solo hero role. The Spirit of Freedom City is just more interesting to me outside of that team framework. Another Solo hero is The Raven. Elite has taken over the Mantle of The Raven and is working out of Freedom City but has actively been avoiding the Freedom League and the press. Most people assume that the Raven has retired there’s been rumors of a new Raven hunting the streets of Freedom City at night but nothing official.

The Atom Family are also still active in the city but aren’t considered Crime Fighters so much as minor celebrities and trend setters. Every once in a while a news story comes out or a short documentary chronicling them exploring or discovering something but at this point none of those explorations or discoveries have changed anything. They’re in the background with a fan base but there’s no longer any expectation that something amazing is going to happen from their work.
ClassDunce

Post by ClassDunce »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:46 am [Let me know if this is too silly a concept.]
I mean... Shit I was the king of the ridiculous character lol. I on two different occasions played an old lady... Go for it.
RainOnTheSun wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:11 am Actually, since gangs are an issue in this neighborhood, would a member of a local gang work? About as "white hat" as gangs can get: mostly existing for mutual self-defense for people who can't rely on the police to get involved with them. A single metahuman could be the center of a small-time gang pretty easily, I'd imagine.
I would be very careful about it. I want the game to be heroic but I understand the nature of the style of game I'm working in and I wouldn't say no to the concept outright however I would have to see it fleshed out more. It could be problematic. How active is he in this gang? What does this gang do? In my experience all gangs start out for mutual self-defense but they never stay there. How is he looking to make the community better? Does that involve his gang?
Bill from Accounting wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:02 am I'm interested! I'm assuming 120 PP? And any house rules you implement?

As for my character, would one with a distinctly non-human appearance work? I was thinking of a character I've tinkered with for a while; a lizard person of alien/mutant origin, raised by a young woman. Protects West End at his "mother's" request, and because he views it as his territory.
[/quote

120 pp, no house rules. RAW.

I would be fine with non-human appearance. Hell I would be fine with the community being fine with it as well, it's 2018 in Freedom City they've had nearly a hundred years of Supers in this city I'm sure 90% of the population would barely blink an eye at a Lizardman walking into a bagel shop. Also I've been playing a lot of TORG lately so I'm down with the Lizard man.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:46 am Good to see you running again, CD.

Since you said retired hero I had this idea for an apparent octagenarian who's glory days are long since passed.

Trevor Lightman was a celebrated hero in his day, part of the international scene since he could run anywhere in the world in very little time. It was an ingenious trap that eventually did him in as one villain trapped him in a temporal alteration field. He went from late 20's to early 70's in a heartbeat. That was 10 years ago. His team decided that it was best he 'retire', change his identity to protect him from the multitude of enemies that may come for revenge. As the neighborhood declines Trevor will not be able to stay in retirement and while he may not have the stamina for international bursts of speed he can still manage a few tricks. His frailty means he needs assistance so he has rebranded himself as Speed Walker.

[Let me know if this is too silly a concept.]
What's with you and old PCs? ;)
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Here is a background for my character. I'm still working on a build and need to come up with a heroic name. I apologize for the length but I tend to get carried away sometimes while making a background.

Sergio Martinelli
Height: 5’ 10”, 180 lbs

Sergio was born and raised in the West End section of Freedom City like generations of his family before him. His great grandparents, Luciano and Sonia, arrived in Freedom City in the early 1920’s. Over the decades, some members of the family moved away from the area but there has always been Martinelli’s living in the area.
Sergio’s Grandfather Antonio, passed away when Sergio was a child. Sergio’s father Giovanni used what little inheritance and savings he had to fulfill his dream of owning his own business. Together with his wife Maria they opened a pizza restaurant specializing in thin crust pies similar to New York style. Soon, the small restaurant developed a loyal customer base. Over the years, the business grew as more people moved to the area and the families that were loyal customers got larger with the birth of children and then grandchildren. When he was old enough, Sergio helped out at the restaurant like the rest of his family. His two sisters worked as servers or ran the register. Sergio started out cleaning, taking out the trash, washing dishes, etc. Eventually his father taught Sergio how to make the pies and other dishes the restaurant was now serving.

Sergio grew restless in his early 20’s. He enjoyed working with his family but wanted to learn other skills. He ran into a childhood friend one day that convinced him to join the Army. His friend told him that if he enlisted for only 4 years he could learn a new trade and dozens of useful skills. Sergio was skeptical. He was reluctant to join since there was a high likelihood that he would be sent to some foreign country and be expected to kill people. Sergio was no stranger to violence, having been in many fights in his youth, but he was no killer either.
Sergio discussed it with his family. His father told him to go ahead and enlist provided the Army could guarantee he would receive training in whatever area Sergio wanted. Sergio went to see the recruiter the next day. He enlisted with the promise that he would be taught how to be a mechanic.
As often happens, after basic training, the Army told Sergio that there were no positions open for a mechanic. They sent him to the experimental weapons program where, to Sergio’s shock, he was to be a test subject. After undergoing several procedures and injections with several other subjects, the Army tested their recruits. A few showed signs of enhanced physical abilities, other showed signs of low level superhuman powers, while a few, like Sergio, showed no signs of any enhancements. Sergio and the other non-enhanced test subjects were sent back. Sergio served for 2 years as a cook before being given an honorable discharge.

Sergio returned home and rejoined the family business. Things had changed while he was away. Gang activity had increased and there were rumors of organized crime in the area. So far, none of them had bothered the restaurant, although Sergio and his sisters felt it was only a matter of time before someone came looking for protection money or ‘insurance’ money.

One day, his father did not return home from the bank in a reasonable time. Sergio’s mother was a little worried but figured her husband must have stopped somewhere to buy her a small gift as he often did. A little while later, she received a call from the police. They told her that Giovanni had been found dead of an apparent heart attack. After the funeral, Sergio and his sisters discussed what to do with the restaurant. They agreed that they would keep running it and give as much as possible to their mother for her expenses.

One night, as they were closing up the restaurant, a group of gang members burst in and demanded all the money. Sergio complied, getting the day’s receipts from the safe. As he was about to hand over the money, a couple of the gang members started saying inappropriate things to his sisters before groping them. The other gang members laughed. Sergio felt powerless as the head gang member was pointing a gun at him. He watched in horror as his sisters were groped and their clothes were ripped open. Rage was building up as he heard the cries of his sisters and the laughter of the gang members. He knew he had to do something. Almost without thinking, he grabbed the nearest object and hurled it as hard as he could at the man pointing the gun at him. The pizza pan hit the man in the forehead and stuck. Screaming in pain, the man dropped the gun and staggered around the room. Sergio quickly grabbed other nearby objects and threw them at the other gang members. Emboldened, his sisters fought back against their attackers. Soon, all the gang members were fleeing the restaurant.

After ensuring his sisters were okay and handing them aprons to put on, he called the police. They arrived, took statements, took the dropped gun as evidence, and checked the surveillance camera. The police told the family they recognized a few of the robbers and that the gun likely had the serial number filed off. They promised to do what they could but were not very encouraging.

During the next few days, Sergio reflected on the events of that night. How had he thrown that pizza pan so hard? What about the knives, forks, pizza cutters, dishes, wine bottles and other items he had thrown at the robbers? It seemed strange that he had been able to throw them so hard to do so much damage. He considered the possibility that his time in the Army might have something to do with it. He had not shown any enhanced or strange abilities then but perhaps it was a delayed reaction?

Sergio experimented over the next few months, gradually figuring out what he was capable of doing. He knew he had to do the right thing with these abilities. He had to help the people in the area. The gangs were getting too cocky and the police could only do so much. Sergio would use his abilities to become a vigilante and help fight the crime and corruption that had grown out of control in the West End. Who knows, he thought, perhaps he would have the opportunity to help other cities, states, even countries. He remembered reading once that one man could change the world. It could be a hero, a villain, an assassin, a President or other world leader, or just an ordinary citizen. All it took was one person. Sergio vowed to be that person, a force for good. He would clean up the West End and when that was done, he would work on other areas of the city, the state, and then the country. It would be difficult, it would be very challenging, but Sergio knew in his heart that this was what he needed to do.

Build:
Major Force - PL 8

Abilities:
Strength 2, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 4, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages:
Chokehold, Close Attack 4, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 5, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Disarm, Languages 2, Ranged Attack 6

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+8), Expertise: Business 4 (+5), Expertise: Cooking 6 (+7), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation 4 (+5), Investigation 6 (+7), Perception 6 (+7), Persuasion 4 (+5), Technology 2 (+3), Treatment 2 (+3), Vehicles 2 (+4)

Powers:
Kinetic Blast: Damage 8 (DC 23; Increased Range: ranged)
AE: Kinetic push: Move Object 8 (Alternate; 6 tons, DC 23; Damaging; Custom: Must be touching item, Limited Direction: Away)
AE: Kinetic-Lifting: Enhanced Strength 4 (Alternate; +4 STR; Limited to Lifting)
AE: Move Object: Move Object 1 (Alternate; 100 lbs.; Throwing Mastery 7; Diminished Range)
AE: Power Punch: Strength-based Damage 6 (Alternate; DC 23)

Equipment:
Cell Phone (Smartphone), Flashlight, Motorcycle, Multi-tool, Restraints, Shuriken, Undercover Shirt

Offense:
Initiative +2
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 12)
Kinetic Blast: Damage 8, +8 (DC 23)
Kinetic push: Move Object 8, +8 (DC 23)
Move Object: Move Object 1, +8 (DC 18)
Power Punch: Strength-based Damage 6, +8 (DC 23)
Shuriken, +8 (DC 16)
Throw, +8 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 17)

Complications:
Identity: Secret Identity
Motivation: Doing Good: Sergio feels an obligation to use his powers to protect the people from the gangs and other criminals.
Motivation: Justice: Sergio has a strong sense of fairness and justice. He fights a never ending battle to bring all the criminals to justice.
Relationship: Sergio has two older sisters, 4 young neices, and 3 young nephews.
Responsibility: Sergio helps run the family pizza business. Being a hero takes time and missing work or being late for work because of that will affect the business and his relationship with his sisters.

Languages:
English, Italian, Spanish

Defense:
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8/4, Will 7

Power Points:
Abilities 34 + Powers 20 + Advantages 23 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 120
Last edited by CaptainChaos on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

2e? Or 3e?
ClassDunce

Post by ClassDunce »

Hoid wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 am2e? Or 3e?
This is 3e.