Gloriant: Age of Adventure (OOC Thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MacynSnow

Re: THORPOCAVERSE FANTASY GAME - RECRUITING CLOSED

Post by MacynSnow »

Ghost of Krypton wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 am Sadly I'm both frustrated and embarrassed, work over the past week and a half has been chaotic, coupled with family responsibilities and such I found myself pressed for both time and creativity. As such I wasn't able to get a final draft of Tal'endir's backgrounds or complications completed, nor would I be able to until this Sunday or Monday.

To be fair to my other applicant's I'll, sadly, withdraw myself from the selection process, though if Thorp is looking for NPC's, or replacement's I'd be happy to fill the role, and if you are interested I can PM you my crib notes on Elves, their culture, and relations with the outside world.

Thanks once again for the opportunity, and I'll be watching the thread as it looks like it'll be an interesting one!
I hope everything works out for you in RL ghost! Part of me was hoping we got picked together so we could explore how Elves&Dwarves look at each other in Gloriant,it's just not got the same feel if one of them's an NPC......
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ghost of Krypton wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 am Sadly I'm both frustrated and embarrassed, work over the past week and a half has been chaotic, coupled with family responsibilities and such I found myself pressed for both time and creativity. As such I wasn't able to get a final draft of Tal'endir's backgrounds or complications completed, nor would I be able to until this Sunday or Monday.

To be fair to my other applicant's I'll, sadly, withdraw myself from the selection process, though if Thorp is looking for NPC's, or replacement's I'd be happy to fill the role, and if you are interested I can PM you my crib notes on Elves, their culture, and relations with the outside world.

Thanks once again for the opportunity, and I'll be watching the thread as it looks like it'll be an interesting one!
Rao must be smiling on you, Ghost of Krypton. In the past few hours, things have changed in my personal Thorpocaverse. :)

Long story short, I thought I would be able to start the game this weekend but it turns out I'm going to St. Louis to see Lynyrd Skynryd, 38 Special and I think Hank Williams Jr. Turns out a bunch of my wife's family is going and they have extra tickets so against my better judgment, we're going down for the weekend. The things I do for my wife...

And I may not be going home to check on my folks until Labor Day weekend. So I'm backing things here up a bit and I've reopened recruiting for anyone else that may want to throw in something. If you still want to be considered, Ghost, Sunday or Monday is fine to finish things up. Same for anyone else that wants to make any revisions, updates to your characters. I'll make the final calls early next week.

Sorry about the yo-yo timing, I'm sure some of you are anxious to get this going, as am I. Hopefully this will be helpful to everyone in the long run. :)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
pathfinderq1

Re: THORPOCAVERSE FANTASY GAME - RECRUITING REOPENED...

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Especially with the (now possible, but not assured) loss of the elven archer/healer, I may pitch a different concept now that there is a bit more time- probably my bard/merchant/spirit mage.

If I end up not having time over the weekend, Lena is finally complete and ready.

Enjoy the concert/ weekend!
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:14 pm Especially with the (now possible, but not assured) loss of the elven archer/healer, I may pitch a different concept now that there is a bit more time- probably my bard/merchant/spirit mage.

If I end up not having time over the weekend, Lena is finally complete and ready.

Whichever route you want to take is fine. Go with your heart my child. :D

I’m not looking forward to the concert but I’ll try to enjoy it. I’m looking forward to seeing my wife’s cousin and uncle that I’ve known forever but being THE black dude at a show like that can be...interesting...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:41 pm
pathfinderq1 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:14 pm Especially with the (now possible, but not assured) loss of the elven archer/healer, I may pitch a different concept now that there is a bit more time- probably my bard/merchant/spirit mage.

I’m not looking forward to the concert but I’ll try to enjoy it. I’m looking forward to seeing my wife’s cousin and uncle that I’ve known forever but being THE black dude at a show like that can be...interesting...
I'd invest in some Tactical Armor if i were you,as some of those Concert's can get....rather unpleasant.I Know,i've been to one.... :?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:29 pm

Rao must be smiling on you, Ghost of Krypton. In the past few hours, things have changed in my personal Thorpocaverse. :)

Long story short, I thought I would be able to start the game this weekend but it turns out I'm going to St. Louis to see Lynyrd Skynryd, 38 Special and I think Hank Williams Jr. Turns out a bunch of my wife's family is going and they have extra tickets so against my better judgment, we're going down for the weekend. The things I do for my wife...

And I may not be going home to check on my folks until Labor Day weekend. So I'm backing things here up a bit and I've reopened recruiting for anyone else that may want to throw in something. If you still want to be considered, Ghost, Sunday or Monday is fine to finish things up. Same for anyone else that wants to make any revisions, updates to your characters. I'll make the final calls early next week.

Sorry about the yo-yo timing, I'm sure some of you are anxious to get this going, as am I. Hopefully this will be helpful to everyone in the long run. :)
Augh! More time! Oh noes! :lol:

Anyone want me to lay eyes on their sheet for any thoughts? By all means I welcome everyone to check Jade out and point out/nitpick anything. I welcome ideas.
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

Bear now has background.

Bear
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

I'm going to "re-brand" Lena more as a ranger/tracker type. Most of her background and so on won't change, but I'm going to shift the mechanics from close-combat to ranged focus, and less leader, more wolf.

EDIT: Revised sheet is done. I'll let it sit for a while, then do a review to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Last edited by pathfinderq1 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Plan b wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:55 am Bear now has background.

Bear
Every time i see Bear's sheet,i keep thinking "Now all we need is an Awakened Pig Rogue(you can't look me in the face and say Pigglet isn't a Kleptomaniac),a Rabbit Wizard(OCD has it's uses in that 'Class'),a Good Rakasha(that's slightly insane),an Awakened Owlbear wearing Glasses(That's a know-it-all Priest),a depressed Donkey Knight(that keeps losing stuff), an Awakened Kangaroo&her son(both Sorcerer's) and a Young(ish) Prince they need to protect and we're perfect!" :lol:
Also this:
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

Oh bother.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

And now for something completely different:

So, stuck 'round the house on a rainy Saturday...

This is NOT a replacement submission- it is more of a thought experiment at a VERY Different character (and maybe an NPC- wandering storyteller/ fortuneteller, could be anywhere). As before- IN PROGRESS

Yasmira Spiritsong

PL 5/ PP 80 (Unspent 0)
-HP: 2

Codename/nickname/other aliases: Al-Hakima
Concept/archetype: Healer, Fortuneteller, Bard; Spirit mage
-Human, half-Kurikami/half-Konstantinopalin
Height- 5'0"
Weight- 100 lbs
Hair- Black (long and wavy, but usually in a tight braid)
Eyes- Grey
Skin- pale gold

-Magic school/type: Spirit magic (kami)
-Alignment: NG
-Deity: none (Animist/spirits)
-Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic, Celestial, Elemental, Kurikami
-Base of operations: Mobile
-Affiliations: (?)

-Why are you adventuring?: Yasmira is a wanderer by trade- neither a storyteller nor a fortuneteller thrives in one location for long. At a deeper level, she follows her divinations through the world, letting the spirits guide her where they will.

-Why might you have to be away?: Guided as she is by the spirits and her divinations, Yasmira might feel compelled to attend to a task somewhere else. Perhaps something simple, a matter of days, but perhaps a matter of greater complexity.

-Why might you have to leave?: The war with the kami has consumed Kurikami for many years- given her abilities, it is likely that Yasmira has apart to play in that great struggle. Or (or maybe AND) her parents might call her home for some extended business...

GAME STATS:
Abilities: (24 pp)
STR -1 / STA 3 / DEX 0 / AGI 0
FGT 0 / INT 4 / AWE 4 / PRE 2

Defenses: (10 pp)
Toughness: +3 (STA 3, +0pp)(4 in armor)
Parry: +4 (FGT 0, +4pp)(5 with Warding)
Dodge: +4 (AGI 0, +4pp)(5 with Warding)
Fortitude: +3 (STA 3, +0pp)
Will: +6 (AWE 4, +2pp)

Immunity: n/a
Immunity (Half effect): Aging, Disease, Poison, Sleep

Offense:
Initiative: +0; Perception +5
Close attack: +0
Ranged attack: +0

-Specific attacks:
>MW Light crossbow +5, DC 17 pierce; Range 50/100/200
-Knife: +3, DC 15 slash, crit 19-20, silver
-Spirit bind: Affliction DC 12 Will (auto-hit; Dazed/Immobile/Paralyzed); Range- Perception (Spell)
-Sever Spirit: DC 16 slashing/force (auto-hit; Penetrating 1, affects insubstantial 2); Range- Perception (Spell)

Skills: (11 pp= 22sp)
>Trained: Deception +3 (1sp)(+8 Attractive; Taunt); Insight +5 (1sp); Investigation +7 (3sp; Well-informed); Perception +5 (1sp); Persuasion +5 (3sp)(+10 Attractive; Connections); Treatment +5 (1sp)(+7 with Full of life OR MW healer's kit, +9 with both); Ranged combat- crossbow +3 (3sp); Close combat- knife +2 (2sp); Expertise- Magic +6 (2sp); Expertise- History +5 (1sp); Expertise- Current events +5 (1sp); Expertise- Streetwise +5 (1sp); Expertise- Fortuneteller +5 (1sp); Expertise- Storyteller (PRE) +3 (1sp)

>Untrained: Acrobatics +0, Athletics -1, Intimidation +2, Sleight of hand +0, Stealth +0; Technology +4, Vehicles +0
-Expertise (all others) +4
>Uses Jack of all trades and Eidetic memory for most skills.

Advantages: (15 pp)
>Base: Artificer; Attractive x2; Benefit x1 (Wealth- well-off); Connected (Favors, uses Persuasion); Equipment x5 (25ep); Improved critical x1 (crossbow); Languages x2 (5 languages); Ritualist; Taunt (Creative curses- May the fleas of a thousand camels... etc.)

>Enhanced Advantages (bought as Powers): Diehard, Eidetic memory, Jack of all trades, Well-informed

POWERS:
>Bardic training: Enhanced Traits 3- Advantages (Eidetic memory, Jack of all trades, Well-informed)(3pp)

-Foresight 1: Senses 1- Danger sense (mystic)(1pp)
-Foresight 2: Senses 4- Precognition, Limited- Distracting, Uncontrolled (GM whim, or perhaps a critical success with Expertise- Fortuneteller)(1pp)(Plot device)

-Minor magics 1: Feature- Prestidigitation (1pp)
-Minor magics 2: Comprehend 1- Read all, Limited- Distracting (1pp)
-Minor magics 3: (Warding) Enhanced trait 2- Defenses (+1 Dodge, +1 Parry); Duration (sustained), Action (Move action to activate)(1pp)
(Stunts/to add: Mage hand, Dimensional pocket, Groom-o-matic, etc.)

-Infused with spiritual energy 1: Enhanced trait 1- Advantage (Diehard)(1pp)
-Infused with spiritual energy 2: Features- Stabilize, Full of life (2pp)
-Infused with spiritual energy 3: Immunities 4 (half effect)- Aging, Disease, Poison, Sleep (2pp)
-Infused with spiritual energy 4: Regeneration 1, Persistent; Limited- only for use with Empathic Healing (1pp)
-Infused with spiritual energy 5: Comprehend 1(spirits); Limited- Distracting (1pp)

>Favor of the spirits (Array)(3+1+1= 5pp total)
-Spirit transfer: Healing 5; Persistent +1, Empathic, Limited- others only; (5+1= 6pp- 3 flaws= 3pp/base slot)(Touch, Standard)
-Spirit bind: Affliction 2; Dazed/Immobile/Paralyzed; Resist- Will 12; Recover- Will 12; Ranged 2- Perception; (6pp-3 common flaws= 3pp/ 1pp AE)
-Sever Spirit: Damage 1; Ranged 2- Perception; Penetrating 1, Affects insubstantial 2 (full); (4/rx1= 4+2= 6pp-3 common flaws= 3pp/ 1pp AE)

-(Known stunts/ future slots: True sight, True speech, Spirit blast, Spirit storm, Poltergeist, Strengthen spirit, turn/ char-broil undead)
>All array slots have the same Flaws: Quirk (limited spells per day)(-1), Check required (Persuasion, 10+ for base effect)(-1); Activation- Move action to activate or switch slots (-1)

BACKGROUND:
History: Yasmira comes from an ancient lineage of Kurikami spirit-callers, who dealt with the kamis of that land for generations. More than twenty years ago, her mother received a message of imminent disaster from her spirit allies, and fled the country before the beginnings of the Kami War- she ended up in the great city of Konstantinopolis, where she made a name for herself as an entertainer, and found a husband. Yasmira was their only daughter. From an early age, she received an excellent education. She also displayed the ability to hear the spirits- while her mother had expected this, it filled her with dread, and she refused to teach Yasmira how to USE this gift, in the hope it would fade with time. Instead Yasmira was allowed to haunt the libraries, and given coin to spend on storytellers and singers in the marketplace- in time she was apprenticed to a wandering loremaster, and they set out into the larger world.

Yasmira's mother had chosen the girl's mentor well- old Barnabus was as deaf to spirits as a stone. He was more of a merchant and an alchemist than anything else, trades which interested Yasmira not a bit, but he was a decent healer and a better-than-decent storyteller- THOSE trades she learned. But in the wider world, sometimes she saw things out of the corner of her eye- things that vanished when she turned to look; she also heard voices no one else could hear. Of course she didn't talk to her mentor- she didn't want to be labeled as a madwoman. She stopped in libraries when they found them, and spoke with wizards, philosophers, and servants of various deities, but she was clever and circumspect which meant she learned very slowly.

Time passed, and she was quite close to completing her apprenticeship- while her parents, no doubt, hoped that would bring her home, Yasmira had no such intentions. In fact, when she did finish her trial, old Barnabus had a bit of a surprise- he gifted her with his own traveling wagon and gear, for he had decided to return home, to retire in peace, and he knew that she yet yearned for the road...

Yasmira cast the rune at the first crossroads, and set off on her journey, headed anywhere BUT home. After a few months time, though, the divinations which guided her travels brought her to a place she would rather have avoided- the dark land of Wolfenstrahd. She crossed the border on a particularly misty morning, and things only got worse. The shapes she had grown used to seeing at the corners of her vision (which she had since learned were stray spirits, or in her mother's language "Kami") took on a threatening aspect, and the voices that she alone could hear grew sibilant and unsettling. The villages were depressing, and wary of outsiders, and she was always cold, no matter how heavily she dressed. On the third day, the mules pulling her wagon were sluggish and tired, and she did not make it to the next village before nightfall- against her better judgement she pulled the wagon to the side of the road to camp for the night.

It quickly became obvious that something was terribly wrong. While the sensation of being watched was not new, there was a terrible gnawing hunger that came with it- and even her mules, normally the most stolid of creatures were nervous. Yasmira built the fire as large as she dared (or perhaps a bit larger), and settled into the wagon behind a terribly weak set of wards, with her crossbow near to hand. She woke to the mules screaming, a sound she had never heard before (and doesn't want to hear ever again), and she stumbled out of the wagon to gaze upon horror. A writhing creature, seemingly made of shadows had engulfed the mules, and even as Yasmira watched they grew smaller and paler, as if they were being drained of both blood and life. Her crossbow bolt sailed through the thing without effect- though it turned eagerly in her direction and began to float closer. Yasmira grabbed a flaming brand from the fire- but the floating terror did not pause and engulfed Yasmira as it had the mules. She felt a terrible cold, then an awful draining sensation- she could practically feel her own life force flowing away, like water down a pipe. She struggled and cried out- but with her voice and more importantly, with her mind.

And something answered. For the briefest of moments she could clearly see the writhing spirits that she had only ever glimpsed before, and now they were flocking to her side- and even, somehow, INTO her, replacing the energy that the shadow creature was draining away. While an instant before she had felt her very essence ebbing away, now it was as if a wellspring had opened and energy was flooding IN. There was a blast of blinding light that illuminated nothing, and a terrific gust of wind with no earthly source, and Yasmira stumbled to the ground, barely awake but very, very ALIVE.

The momentary wind had blown the over-large fire all through the clearing, including over the wagon and the corpses of the mules- Yasmira was barely able to drag herself out of the clearing, but nearly all of her possessions were lost. By morning she made her way to the nearest village- the night had no further terrors for her, not now. She consulted with the local wise woman, who told her of the thing that had haunted their village for years, a creature she had now destroyed. In gratitude the villagers replaced many of her lost items- though the wagon was more than they could provide.

Instead Yasmira set out on foot, headed for the border. Over the next few months she journeyed into Gilthorian- she was able to find enough work in one trade or another. And each night, the spirits sang her to sleep- they would never leave her now. In time, she began to learn what she could do for them- and what they could do for her...

Complications:
-Spiritual beacon: Yasmira is positively overflowing with spiritual energy (AKA life force). Natural spirits such as kami are drawn to her out of simple curiousity- but necromantic beings such as life-draining undead are drawn because she resembles a veritable feast. Beings which can sense such energy can likewise detect her quite easily.

-Power loss: Yasmira needs to be able to speak and gesture to use her Favor of the spirits array, and her Minor magics. In addition, her array depends on the power of the spirits (or kami)- if they are absent in an area (or unable or unwilling to help), her spells will fail.

-Read the cards: Yasmira puts great weight upon the "will of the spirits"- she typically uses Divinations for nearly all important decisions, and is rather stubborn about following the omens. This can delay her at an important point, or influence her attitude (or make others uncomfortable, if they do not like such measures). ("See, I TOLD you this was a bad idea! The cards foretold disaster- and now here we are..."). Yasmira typically uses card reading or fire-watching for most of her divinations, but also owns a set of dwarven rune stones and uses them from time to time.

-Doing good (with least harm)(Motivation): Yasmira wants to help people and make the world a better place. In addition, while she knows the world is a violent place, and realizes violence is sometimes required, she almost always see it as a last resort (at least when dealing with other sentient beings)- she would rather negotiate than fight, at least with most foes. Undead, golems, and animals (things that can't be reasoned with) are another matter.

-A friend in need: Yasmira makes friends easily, and has friendly acquaintances all around the world. Perhaps one of them needs a favor, or two of them are on different sides of a conflict...

-Parents (Relationship): Yasmira's parents are firmly settled in the great city-state of Konstantinopolis, and very much a part of the constant intrigue there. Perhaps they might send a messenger after their errant daughter- or someone wishing to influence them might seek her out. Or perhaps she might simply run into someone who knows them, and has a strong opinion (for good or ill).

Description: TBD

Point Accounting: Abilities 24pp; +Defenses 10pp; +Skills 11pp; +Advantages 15pp; +Powers 20pp= 80/ 80pp

Future planning: First things first- BOOST THAT ARRAY to effective levels. She will also start building Devices to hold permanent effects (like an improved version of her Warding). Also add/improve Social skills and Advantages.

>Equipment:
-Reinforced robes: +1 Protection, Subtle (2ep)
-MW Healers kit (2ep)
-Tools (Ritualist)(1ep)
-Tools (Expertise- Fortuneteller)(1ep)(Rune stones and not-Tarot cards)
-MW light crossbow: Ranged Piercing +2, Accuracy x1 (5ep)
-Silver knife: STR+1 slashing, silver, dangerous (3ep)
-AE: Holdout blade: STR +0, slashing, Precise, Concealable (+1ep)
-Adventurer's kit: (5ep)
-Spare clothes: 2 sets (1 plain traveling, 1 moderately fancy)(2ep)(22)

-To add: Wagon (mobile HQ), better weapons, STUFF
Last edited by pathfinderq1 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Put something new on Berend that folk's might finsd intresting...
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:58 pm I'm going to "re-brand" Lena more as a ranger/tracker type. Most of her background and so on won't change, but I'm going to shift the mechanics from close-combat to ranged focus, and less leader, more wolf.

EDIT: Revised sheet is done. I'll let it sit for a while, then do a review to make sure I didn't miss anything.
I'll do some reviews tomorrow and let you know if I have any feedback. I'm wiped from the weekend trip so I probably shouldn't be doing anything too detail oriented at this point. I'm too old to be staying up as late as I did and I've gotten a nice end of summer cold on top of it.
Plan b wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:55 am Bear now has background.

Bear
I took at a look at it, and I dig it. :)
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:38 pm Put something new on Berend that folk's might finsd intresting...
Nice theme music. ;)

I plan on finding music for a soundtrack for the game, too. I'll probably fail/forget about it sometimes, but I like my games, especially MnM to be played in a cinematic style, similar to how Adam Koebel runs his. I think it's a nice narrative touch.

Nebula Jazz - Week 1
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:48 pm
Thorpocalypse wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:41 pm

I'd invest in some Tactical Armor if i were you,as some of those Concert's can get....rather unpleasant.I Know,i've been to one.... :?
It was actually OK. There were a few scary individuals there, but really not any more than at most rock concerts. There was a surprising absence of confederate flags and there were a handful of other minority husbands and wives that were drug there like me. ;)

As I mentioned in Jab's game thread, I grew up in the country so I know a lot of the music, especially .38 Special. I actually worked security for one of their concerts at my college MANY years ago and I got to meet Jimmy Van Zant and the guitarist and they were cool and thanked us for helping out.

One thing I got out of it was that Hank Williams Jr. REALLY loves him some Hank Williams Jr. He talked about himself and everyone he knows and has worked with a LOT and he wore a baseball cap that said ICON a lot more than he wore his trademark Stetsons. That being said, he put on a better show than Skynyrd and my wife wanted to return the Skynyrd shirt she bought before the show and get a Hank shirt. :)