Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 2305
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Arkrite »

Grigor "Dog" Geddings
AT: N/A Wounds: 5/5

Dog follows along with Lloyd. After that last fight the need for a good set of armor was really starting to hit home.

And now he had a few silver to rub together to get it accomplished.
User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 4325
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ericka Akcire

"Please, if you could, I n-need this to be a little more... H-he needs, uhm, it needs a bit more of... If you could, a better means of grip? Please, as soon as you can I-I'd really appreciate it, I don't like... being without, for so long." She muttered to a blacksmith, placing Gemini on the counter.

Quickdraw handles (160)
Bargaining (Quicken time of modification, and/or price reduction if the former isn't possible): 4 1,2,4,6,5,6,5


As she left the shop, her fingers couldn't help but trail along the length of her kukri's handle, a couple of cinders racing up her finger tips. Within her second sheath Inimeg formed, giving her a sense of temporary familiarity while Gemini was being re-worked.

Cunning (Duplicate): 2 4,4,6,2,6,2,2

Sometime later she found herself browsing the armor of another shop, when Lloyd approached with a contingent of other armsman from the carvan. She felt it her duty to help back up his claims, standing besides the man and lending her own feminine charm to the mix. "Your wares really do look rather high quality, wouldn't you say?"

Cunning (Barganing, assist) 1 [1d6t5=6]
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.
User avatar
Vivid
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:52 am

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Vivid »

Lady Moira Sterling

Moira joins the group going shopping.

** At the armor merchant's ***

Then she sees about her own purchases.... she has pictures... "I was thinking something like...."

Studded Leather long coat, insulated and Hardened (for purchase), Hardened Wide-brimmed hat, Splint pauldrons, Light plate Elbow guards, Splint chest plate, Light plate guantlets, Studded Leather boots,

She looks to have them incorporate the soft part she has as padding on the coat. "Bulk order like this... how's about 660 silver even?"
Normally 745 silver (with sell back of redundant gear)
bargain: 7D6 = [6, 1, 3, 6, 6, 4, 6] = 32
to see if they have everything she wants at the best price and especially a coat that looks good.
** At armor selling stall ****

Moira takes the unclaimed pieces of armor, personally repaired, and sells them to split between herself, Dog, and Lloyd. "After the repair and polish I gave these I'm asking 204 silver. The guy who wore this, took 3 of us to take him down...." she says
Repair gear:
repair: 7D6 = [6, 4, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6] = 29
3 successes to make the bandits gear look nice

padded leather longcoat (6/3/2/7), 100+35
and padded leather kneepads (1/3/0/2), 12+35
total: normally 182 silver
selling: 7D6 = [2, 6, 6, 5, 2, 5, 4] = 30
4 successes for asking price 210
** At jeweler's ****

She'll sell the jewel to split among all the Wielders. "I'd like to get this appraised and I was told you were the most honest jewelry in town."

bargain or Persuade: 7D6 = [6, 5, 2, 2, 6, 4, 3] = 28

Flynnarrel
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus

Lloyd will also go to the Guild house to modify and refresh what he carries.
"Something pithy this way comes."
User avatar
Gunmetal_Rainbow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:56 pm
Location: Lake Country

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Your day off goes rather well without a hitch. Indius had mentioned before you all departed that the caravan would be leaving an hour after first light and if you were late, he was taking it out of your pay. The trip to the armorer results in everyone getting a faily generous discount thanks to some wheeling and dealing and bringing along half the armsmen of the caravan for stock up and replace damaged armor, or pick up a new piece or two. Indeed, you all made it worth the armorer's while.

Despite you all being wielders, this town seems a little less wary of your presense here. Maybe because it's a little more militaristic than other cities, so they respect warriors here. It doesn't stop the merchants from checking your silver, but they at least otherwise treat you the same as everyone else once they've confirmed you're not working some trick on them. Never hurts to be too careful after all with wielders.

After some shopping, followed by revelry in a local tavern and sleeping in, SHOCK, a real bed for a night if you care to pay the 20 silver, reasonable rates for the accomodations, drinks and culinary offerings of hearty stew, homemade bread and roast hog, or just 5 silver if you want to enjoy the food, but don't care about the room.

In the morning, one of the armsmen knocks on the doors of any of you who paid for a night at the inn. A courtasy waking early enough that you can get back to the caravan in time, maybe even stop long enough to spare a silver coin for a strong cup of coffee and chunk of a dense bread full of seeds, nuts and oats. A common breakfast item for military types.

For those that opted to stay in the wagon with the caravan, obviously you are woken a little earlier as Indius makes rounds, making sure everyone is up and ready to go, sending runners to collect anyone staying in town. You obviously also have time to go get a bit of breakfast before the caravan finally heads out, exactly one hour after first light, fortunately leaving no-one behind.

This leg of the trip promises to be short and sweet with little chance of danger, conventionally at least. The caravan will be crossing a land bridge that will only be available for a few hours, thus the early departure. Once past that, you'll be in Uhyre territory with Elvnir, your next destination a mere day and a half past that.
Go ahead post about your evening off if you'd like to revel and enjoy some downtime. The rest of this is for when you guys are ready to carry on, but don't feel rushed.
Flynnarrel
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus

Lloyd gets fitted for a few armor pieces and leaves with plate pieces concealed under a long leather coat with studs dotting the length and reinforced shoulders. The helm was tied off and dangling from his back pack. He felt odd without Heartwood to lean on, the ancient pine tree remnant was being fitted for a spike and should be ready by morning. Lloyd will go out with the Wielders and armsmen for a drink though he partakes more or the comradery than the libations. He'll speak freely of his excitement to getting back to the Woods of Uhyre.

Uncomfortable in the city he ultimately returns to the cart to sleep.

In the morning he'll be there at the weapon shop first thing to retrieve Heartwood then rejoin the caravan.
"Something pithy this way comes."
User avatar
Vivid
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:52 am

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Vivid »

Lady Moira Sterling

Moira will nurse a cup of mead (1SP) for most the night's revelry. She considers renting a room but there were already enough differences between her and the others. She felt it. The armor was a crazy expense. In truth she probably should have reserved more back but she knew her own limitations - physicality was not her forte. Thus, she returned to the cart to sleep, nods a 'Goodnight' to any other Wielder there and tucks in. In the morning she'll acknowledge Indius's wake up but will get a few more moment's rest before the carts really get underway.
User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 2305
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Arkrite »

Grigor "Dog" Geddings
AT: N/A Wounds: 5/5

With his shopping done Dog gets himself a nice room at the inn, indulging in a hot bath to clean the dirt and dust from the road.
Afterwards he joined everybody for a meal and a number of drinks. Maybe it was foolish and indulgent to fritter away his money on a nice room and drinks. His parents wouldn't have approved. Hell, at one time he wouldn't have approved either. He'd saved every silver he could get his hands on.

And he'd nearly died penniless in a gutter.

Money wouldn't do him any favors when he was dead, and he'd nearly ran into death twice so far. He'd spent his money on keeping him living, why not spend his money making that life worth living?

He woke the next morning in his bed with a bad headache, cuddling somebody's empty boot. Looking more dead than alive he staggered out, bought himself and the armsman who came to collect him a quick breakfast of coffee and fresh bread, and staggered into camp early enough to avoid any scathing rebukes on tardiness.
OOC: 22 silver down (the mead was already accounted for) for a room and breakfast for himself and the person who came to collect him.
Dog's remaining silver is 13.
Prof Weird
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Prof Weird »

Sashura Vlasova

This had been an 'interesting' and profitable trip so far !

Some of the other Wielders had upgraded their bonds, but she probably never would - it would be like desecrating a family heirloom !

And, as far as she was concerned, it may not be necessary as long as she can buy equipment and improve her abilities.

Such as working out another arcane trick - Familiar. She figured that since Haunts were annoying, it might be useful to have one on HER side to bedevil opponents with for a change. Or to retrieve items from that group of hostiles over there.

This was the opposite of what most would expect; but, then again, so was Chelydra.

A weapon that used the Decay power. But instead of corroding metal, rotting away parts of a victim or poisoning them or giving them loathsome diseases - it RESTORED HEALTH. She found the concept of doing the opposite of what would be expected to be amusing.

She'd purchased the best armor she felt comfortable using - much metal, but not so much as to become a lumbering target.

She idly wondered if some of the iron in the studs came from her village.

The hand crossbow enabled her to inflict some damage from range, without the massive expense of bullets. This way she could do some damage while moving to charge or melee range (which she was better at).

After the shopping trip, she'd joined the other wielders for a meal and drinks.

Since she had quite a bit of silver to spend, she got a good room at the inn. After all, what good is silver to the dead ?

She'd learned the value of moderation from her family - one cousin had spent every silver he had, and died broke.
Another had hoarded every silver that crossed her path - and refused to spend any of it, leaving her effectively impoverished as well.

The next morning, she purchased a quick breakfast before heading back to the camp.
User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 4325
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ericka Akcire

There wasn't much to tell of what an evening in town was like for Ericka, especially when it was spent under abnormal circumstances. It wasn't often that a very part of her soul was being touched upon and reworked by human hands, forcing her to contend with only half of it's material components. Inimeg helped to stave off the worst of her paranoia for the hour she had it in possession, but like always it's sheath grew empty as the hour passed on.

Words upon the page of her book blended together as day wore on, her foot tapping a groove into the wooden floorboards of the room she'd been occupying. In her left hand she spun Tectus as if it were baton and not the deadly explosive it actually were. Something about a boy and a deadly curse and a family that didn't love him, stolen away in the dead of night to a strange school that seemed intent on hiding his kind away from the world. It felt all too familiar to be overly enjoyable.

She slammed the butt of her spear into the floorboard. 'Air. I need air.'

Luck was on her side as she wandered the streets, finding the blacksmith not long before last call. It was a breath of fresh air to finally grip the Kukri in her hand after being separated for so long, spending a few seconds experimentally tossing it between her hands with a sedate smile. as thanks for the rush order, the young woman gave the grizzled man a chaste kiss on his cheek, as if he were her own grandfather. "Thank you so much, it really means a lot."

With a wave, she turned away back to the inn, where she enjoyed a hot meal before sleeping in a real bed, entirely apart from those people she was starting to consider friends. When they had breafast, she'd even sat with Sashura during the length of it. Not that she had said a word, of course, though it was lingering in the back of her mind to see what she knew of medicine herself.

Ericka joined her and Dog on the walk back to their caravan, refreshed and ready to see what came next.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.
User avatar
Gunmetal_Rainbow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:56 pm
Location: Lake Country

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Indius drives the caravan hard that day. it's easy enough to find out why. The caravan needs to cross a land bridge to leave Primium and enter Uhyur, but due to the tides, the land bridge is only available for a limited time during the day and it waits for no-one when the tide rises. The land bridge itself is quite broad at an average of about 45 to 50 feet across with waves frequently washing up against either edge, making the rocky path perpetually wet and slick in places with small puddles here and there.

The pace is grueling, but more for the horses and driver than for the wielders and armsmen who simply need to keep up, because while it might be tempting to help, danger isn't exactly unknown here, so the caravan's protectors need to remain vigilant and aware.
Go ahead and place your tokens wherever along the Caravan that you'd like to be and make Spot tests.
Flynnarrel
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus

Lloyd, who realizes he's wearing a LOT more metal than when he first crossed this bridge stays near the center of both Column and bridge, walking along keeping an eye open.
Spot: 4d6: 18 [4d6=6, 4, 3, 5]
2 success
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Prof Weird
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Prof Weird »

Sashura Vlasova

Sashura will try to stay in the middle of the caravan, so she has a chance to actually get where needed in a reasonable time.
Spot check: 6d6 23
4 successes : 6d6=6, 5, 5, 1, 5, 1
User avatar
Arkrite
Posts: 2305
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Arkrite »

Grigor "Dog" Geddings
AT: N/A Wounds: 5/5

Dog liked being up near the front. It wasn't smart, because the people in the front were usually the first to get attacked, but he liked knowing what was going on, rather than standing at the back and wondering if he needed to start running for his life.

Today's little trip wasn't much fun, to say the least, but being at the front meant he'd be off this horrible land bridge fairly quick.
User avatar
Doctor Malsyn
Posts: 4325
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 pm
Location: Thunderdome, Texas

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ericka Akcire

The young woman didn't trust this expanse of road one Iota. Something terrible felt as though it lay just below the surface, her Curse picking up the very tail ends of dark thoughts just beyond the waves. Of course, it often did that even when nothing wrong actually followed. She'd been on the road for long enough to not let fear of being cloud her sense of caution, and already her she held a cloned version of Tectus in one of her hands. In it's Sheath, Inemg lay in wait.

"Lloyd," She spoke, loud enough to be heard over the water. "I think, that this would be the perfect place to use your magic..."

Cunning (Duplicate): 3 (2,6,5,5,1,4,3)
Cunning (Duplicate): 1 (3,2,4,5,2,3,4)
Perception: 0 (3,1,3)
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.
Post Reply