Warhammer 40,000 (Roboute Guilliman)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Dire Avengers

Post by Batgirl III »

Dire Avengers
Warhammer 40,000 Characters
Power Level 9 ( 135 PP )

Farseer Caerys of Ulthwé wrote:They shall come, expecting the obvious, the simple, the artless. They shall stab at the shadows with confused minds and troubled hearts. Meanwhile, we shall appear unseen from ten directions, and from every one strike a fatal blow.
ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 3
Agility 3
Dexterity 2
Fighting 6
Intellect 0
Awareness 1
Presence 0

SKILLS
Athletics 6 (+8), Acrobatics 4 (+6), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+12), Expertise [Path of the Avenger] 8 (+8), Perception 7 (+8), Ranged Combat [Eldar Weapons] 6 (+12), Ranged Combat [Thrown] 4 (+10), Stealth 1 (+4)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit (Ambidextrous), Close Attack (2), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (5), Evasion (2), Improved Defense, Improved Iniative (2), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack (3), Seize Initiative, Takedown (1), Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

POWERS
Eldar Physiology [ 9 PP Total ]
Long-Lived Enhanced Advantage 2 (Eidetic Memory, Well-Informed); Immunity 1 (Aging [1]) [ 3 PP ]
Hypercognition Quickness 3 (Mental: One Minute in Six Seconds Physical: 12 Seconds in Six Seconds; F: Limited to Mental [Two Ranks]) [ 2 PP ]
Inhuman Grace Leaping 1 (15'); Speed 1 (4 MPH) [ 2 PP ]
Keen Eyesight Senses 1 (Visual: Extended [1], Ultravision [1]) [ 2 PP ]

Dire Avenger Armor ( 30 PP Base; F: Removable) [ 24 PP Total ]
Auto-Senses Senses 4 (Visual: Direction Sense [1], Distance Sense [1], Infravision [1], Time Sense [1]) [ 4 PP ]
Psycho-Plastic Plating Protection 5 (E: Impervious [5]) [ 10 PP ]
Environmentally Sealed Immunity 5 (Environmental Cold [1], Environmental Heat [1], Radiation [1]; Suffocation Effects [2]) [ 5 PP ]
Vox Link Communication 3 (Radio: Long Range; E: Subtle [2]; F: Limited to Eldar from same Craftworld) [ 11 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 25 EP )
Dire Avengers Standard Issue
Avenger Shuriken Catapult Damage 6 (E: Improved Critical [3], Multiattack, Ranged) [ 21 EP ]
AE: Bladestorm Technique Damage 6 (E: Area [60' Cone], Improved Critical [3], Ranged; F: Activation [Move, -1]) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Combat Blade Damage 3 (Strength-Based; E: Accurate [1], Improved Critical [1], Penetrating [2]) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Plasma Grenade Damage 5 (E: Area [30' Burst], Ranged) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Krak Grenade Damage 8 (E: Penetrating [5], Reach [1], Triggered [timer]; F: Innaccurate [1]) [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 5
Parry: (8) Base 2
Fortitude: (8) Base 5
Toughness: (8/10) ——
Will: (10) Base 9

WORKSHEET
Attack: 12 Effect: 2 Total: 14 (Unarmed)
Attack: 12 Effect: 6 Total: 18 (Avenger Shuriken Catapult)
Attack: —— Effect: 6 Total: 6 (Bladestorm Technique)
Attack: 10 Effect: 5 Total: 15 (Combat Blade)
Attack: —— Effect: 5 Total: 5 (Plasma Grenade)
Attack: 8 Effect: 8 Total: 16 (Krak Grenade)
Dodge: 8 Tough: 8/10 Total: 16/18
Parry: 8 Tough: 8/10 Total: 16/18
Fort: 8 Will: 10 Total: 18

ABILITIES [ 34 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 20 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 27 pp ] +
POWERS [ 33 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 21 pp ] =
135 PP TOTAL

Background:
The Dire Avengers are preeminent amongst the Aspect Warriors of the Eldar. They represent the Eldar War God in his role as The Noble Warrior. They are merciless to their foes and tireless in their devotion to their people.

Most common of all the Aspect Warriors, the Dire Avengers can trace their line back to Asurmen, first of the Phoenix Lords. They are famed for being as deadly on the attack as they are stalwart in defense, and are widely regarded as the most tactically flexible of all the aspects. A famous Eldar legend tells of a single squad of Dire Avengers holding a nightmarish tide of daemons at bay to allow their comrades to escape. Such acts of valor are commonly echoed by their modern counterparts.

Dire Avengers are armed with master-crafted shuriken catapults —— a weapon especially deadly in the hands of these Aspect Warriors. They consider the wielding of the shuriken an art form and even carry these lethal discs under their robes when outside the shrine. In this way even an apparently unarmed Dire Avenger can slay an opponent with a swift gesture.

When in battle, Dire Avengers use their shuriken catapults to create an impenetrable storm of monomolecular blades. They have an uncanny knack of knowing when to follow this onslaught with a lightning-fast assault and when to carefully draw the enemy forward out of position. It is rare to find an Eldar force without a squad of these graceful warriors at its heart.

Mini-Rant:
I'm an old grognard that remembers the Dire Avengers as being one of the scariest units in the game! You see, in the early editions Eldar Guardian's all used lasrifles and only the Dire Avengers and a few vehicles used shuriken catapults. In those days, every shuriken catapult used the Sustained Fire rule. Every single time a Dire Avenger shot you rolled a Sustained Fire die which would generating a 1,1,2,2,3, or Jam. If you got the Jam result you couldn't shoot this turn or next, otherwise you got that many shots. Which meant a full ten-elf squad of Dire Avengers could potentially throw a bucketful of thirty dice each shooting phase, with an average of fifteen dice. A lucky round of Sustained Fire dice and To Hit dice could delete squads of enemy infantry.

The decision to make shuriken catapults the default small arm for the entire faction does make a lot of sense and helps distinguish them from the mon-keigh. This necessitated toning down the rate of fire for the weapon, of course. So no more Sustained Fire dice. GW did give the Dire Avengers a special version of the shuriken catapult and some special rules to make the most of it.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Dark Reapers

Post by Batgirl III »

Dark Reapers
Warhammer 40,000 Character
Power Level 9 ( 135 PP )

Eldrad Ulthran, Farseer of Ulthwé wrote:He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path.
He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.
ABILITIES
Strength 2 (Lifting: 4)
Stamina 3
Agility 3
Dexterity 2
Fighting 6
Intellect 0
Awareness 1
Presence 0

SKILLS
Athletics 6 (+8), Acrobatics 4 (+6), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+10), Expertise [Path of the Reaper] 8 (+8), Perception 7 (+8), Ranged Combat [Eldar Weapons] 6 (+12), Technology 4 (+4)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Close Attack (1), Defensive Attack, Equipment (4), Evasion (2), Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Improved Iniative (2), Power Attack, Ranged Attack (3), Seize Initiative, Ultimate Aim

POWERS
Long-Lived Enhanced Advantage 2 (Eidetic Memory, Well-Informed); Immunity 1 (Aging [1]) [ 3 PP ]
Hypercognition Quickness 3 (Mental: One Minute in Six Seconds Physical: 12 Seconds in Six Seconds; F: Limited to Mental [Two Ranks]) [ 2 PP ]

Dark Reaper Armor ( 40 PP Base; F: Removable) [ 32 PP Total ]
Auto-Senses Senses 5 (Visual: Extended [1], Direction Sense [1], Distance Sense [1], Infravision [1], Time Sense [1]) [ 5 PP ]
Enhanced Physique Enhanced Ability 2 (+2 Strength; F: Limited to Lifting) [ 2 PP ]
Enhanced Psycho-Plastic Plating Protection 7 (E: Impervious [7]) [ 14 PP ]
Environmentally Sealed Immunity 5 (Environmental Cold [1], Environmental Heat [1], Radiation [1]; Suffocation Effects [2]) [ 5 PP ]
Sensor Vanes Senses 5 (Radio: Radio [1], Accurate [2], Extended [2]) [ 5 PP ]
Vox Link Communication 3 (Radio: Long Range; E: Subtle [2]; F: Limited to Eldar from same Craftworld) [ 11 PP ]
Heavy Armor Special (Negates Inhuman Grace from Eldar Physiology) [ -2 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 20 EP )
Reaper Launcher Damage 6 (E: Extended Range [2], Homing [Sensor Vanes; 1], Penetrating [5], Ranged, Split [1]; F: Activation [Move, -1]) [ 20 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 5
Toughness: (3/10) ——

WORKSHEET
Attack: 10 Effect: 2 Total: 12 (Unarmed)
Attack: 12 Effect: 6 Total: 18 (Reaper Launcher)
Dodge: 8 Tough: 3/10 Total: 11/18
Parry: 8 Tough: 3/10 Total: 11/18

ABILITIES [ 34 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 19 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 20 pp ] +
POWERS [ 41 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 21 pp ] =
135 PP TOTAL

Background:
The Dark Reapers are the most menacing of the Warrior Aspects. They exemplify the Eldar War God in his role as The Destroyer. Their skull-masked costume echoes that of their founder, Maugan Ra the Harvester of Souls. Their armor is the color of midnight, and incorporates a complex set of interlocking plates. Although the Dark Reapers are comparatively slow as a result, this is of little consequence, for their role on the battlefield is long-ranged fire support.

The father of the Dark Reapers, Maugan Ra, teaches that the kiss of death can be delivered from afar. It is this credo that is central to the way of the Reaper. Their sacred weapon is the reaper launcher, a long-barrelled missile weapon that can create a blistering firestorm with a single salvo. The armor-piercing missiles it fires are powerful enough to take down all by the most heavily protected foe.

The Dark Reapers pride themselves on their accuracy. Their skills are increased still further by powerful limb supports that absorb the recoil of the reaper launcher, advanced sensor vanes upon their helmets that can lock onto a fast-moving target, and mind-links that allow a Dark Reaper to "see" from the muzzle of his weapon. Their superb aim enables them to dominate the battlefield, pinning down enemy forces and destroying their chosen targets at will.
Jabroniville

Re: Warhammer 40,000 (Dire Avengers)

Post by Jabroniville »

Fun fact: The Eldar are my introduction to Warhammer 40K, and Games Workshop in general.

I remember being in the Coles Bookstore in Bower Mall in my old hometown, "Byrne-Stealing" video game magazines like normal (I only collected Game Players, but read Diehard Gamefan off the rack, along with EGM). A random White Dwarf caught my eye, and I opened it, having no idea what in the hell i was looking at. I mean, clearly these were TOYS, but like... where did you BUY these? I'd never heard of a "War Game" before, though at this point I'd possibly been to the "Fun & Video Games" store downtown that had some people playing a game by pushing miniatures around and measuring stuff with rulers.

In any case, they had this big thing on the various Eldar Aspect Warriors, and I was like "wow, these guys look COOL". I think the Striking Scorpions were my favorite. But they were all so colorful, and COLOR-CODED! It was awesome.

Sadly, I've never seen them in action. I think my old roommate had Dark Eldar, but he was one of those "Spent hundreds on minis, build them, then never play with his unpainted army" types.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ive got a full run of nearly 4000 points worth of Eldar including all aspect warriors save the shining spears and jetbikes, and those only because I primarily ran a Biel tan variant.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

The Eldar are cool (Space Elves!), but also, in the Dawn of War series of RTS games, they're infamous for being the most overpowered race in the game, and heavily favoured by the devs, so they started tough and just kept getting buffs.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Every faction (except maybe the Orks) waxes and wanes in relative power compared to the others (the Orks sort of cling stubbornly to the middle). I find it’s best not to worry about whatever’s the “meta” says is this year’s guaranteed tournament crusher... The hobby is too expensive in terms of money and time to try to cash that rabbit.

Pick a faction you will want to collect, will enjoy painting, and have fun playing. Then stick with them. A guy with two or three years of practice with a balanced “takes all comers” list from what the “meta” says is a bad army will almost always beat a guy with the latest gimmick army thrown together be someone with too much disposable income and a net-list from the Internet forums.

When in doubt three parts general purpose infantry,one part dedicated long-range shooting (either anti-infantry or anti-tank), one part dedicated close combat (either anti-infantry or anti-tank, opposite of the previous shooting unit), and one part “Other.” This will generally give you a nice broad range of models to build/paint, perform well in nearly every mission (and still do okay in the niche missions), and will be able to respond to whatever the “meta” says is this year’s hot new gimmick.

Consider the following, they’re unequal points-wise, but they are all solid cores to build into a full army:

Three Tactical Squads (missile launcher, flamer, powersword for the Sarge), one Devastator Squad (four heavy bolters), one Assault Terminator Squad in a Land Raider Crusader.

Three Guardian Squads (with brightlance platforms), one Dark Reaper Squad, one Howling Banshee Squad (in a Wave Serpent), and one Jetbike Squad.

Three Imperial Guard Infantry Squads (with autocannons and flamers), one Heavy Weapons Squad (with mortars), one Special Weapons Squad (with meltaguns), and a Leman Russ Main Battle Tank.

Three mobs of Ork Shoota Boyz, one mob of Flash Gitz, one mob of Kommandos, and a Deff Dread.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

went with the Star Cannon platform myself. Dedicated marine and terminator killer, and with 3 shots makes up for the Guardians weaker accuracy, plus its always in range given the guardians close range
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Obviously these were meant as broad suggestions and not specific “must do” lists, since my whole point was not to follow prescribed lists.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I still remember the "meta" of Warhammer Fantasy just LOVING the "Death Star" concept, owing to 8th Edition's focus on "more width = more attacks", which was MEANT to benefit cheap infantry units, but players too to mean "throw your Elite Infantry into 40-man blocks and annihilate any foe". The problem, of course, was that this "meta" required the ENEMY playing the same style.

The same issue sprouted up with the last edition's "meta" (which is what INSPIRED these Horde rules in the first place; GW was quite pissed off to see people take nothing but small, mobile groups of the smallest infantry units possible), as "Multiple Small Units" became the rule... these "best army list ever" types only work if the ENEMY is also playing the same. The MSU or Death Star styles don't work as well if your opponent isn't playing ball.

Most of the times I played a Savage Orc Death Star unit, it would eventually die- enemies can attack it using two infantry blocks at once, and if you die... you've sank hundreds of points into many guys who can't even fight, because the opponent won't simply throw a fat block into your fat block.

I was quite surprised and amused to read page after page of "Death Star" tactics (including from units NEVER MEANT TO BE USED THAT WAY, like High Elf Elite Infantry, Ogres, etc.), leave the fandom & boards for about a year, then return to find NOBODY talking about "Death Stars" and everyone suddenly going on about "oh yeah, we realized there were all these flaws in those tactics".
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:50 pm MSU or Death Star
I find the description of those styles of playing WFB to be hilarious as that actually happened in historical times. The ancient Romans used lots of small units all fighting in coordination, the maniples, while their contemporary Greek opponents went the 'Death Star' route by packing all their men into an immense, dense phalanx armed with massively long pikes. Both approaches had their virtues but in the end the Roman system proved superior.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Both MSU and Deathstar were easily dealt with by MIRKs missile tactics: multiple independently targetable realm knights. Twelve to fifteen Bretonnian Realm Knights is too large to be an MSU, too small too be a Deathstar (and usually didn’t have but one Hero in it, maybe two if there was a noncombatant Damsel with them). But a well timed multicharge could deal with nearly anything.
Batgirl III

Puff the Fire Dragon, slagged the mon-keigh, and frolicked in the web-way to Craftworld Honali...

Post by Batgirl III »

FIRE DRAGONS
Warhammer 40,000 Character
Power Level 9 ( 135 PP )

Reqhiel of the Sons of Fuegan wrote:We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.
ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 3
Agility 3
Dexterity 2
Fighting 6
Intellect 0
Awareness 1
Presence 0

SKILLS
Athletics 6 (+8), Acrobatics 4 (+6), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+10), Expertise [Path of the Dragon] 8 (+8), Perception 7 (+8), Ranged Combat [Eldar Weapons] 5 (+10), Technology 6 (+6), Stealth 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Close Attack (2), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (4), Evasion (2), Favored Environment [Extreme Heat] (1), Improved Critical [Fusion Gun] (1), Improved Defense, Improved Iniative (2), Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack (2), Uncanny Dodge

POWERS
Hypercognition Quickness 3 (Mental: One Minute/Six Seconds; Physical: 12 Seconds/Six Seconds; F: Limited to Mental [Two Ranks]) [ 2 PP ]

Fire Dragon Armor ( 35 PP Base; F: Removable) [ 28 PP Total ]
Auto-Senses Senses 4 (Visual: Direction Sense [1], Distance Sense [1], Infravision [1], Time Sense [1]) [ 4 PP ]
Psycho-Plastic Plating Protection 5 (E: Impervious [5]) [ 10 PP ]
Fire-Forged Immunity 5 (Fire Damage [5]) [ 5 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 20 EP )
Fire Dragon Standard Issue
Fire Dragon Fusion Gun Damage 8 (E: Penetrating [5], Ranged; F: Diminished Range [2]) [ 19 EP ]
AE: Melta Bomb Damage 10 (E: Penetrating [5], Reach [1], Triggered [timer; 1]; F: Inaccurate [1], Check Required [Technology, DC11]) [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 5
Toughness: (8/10) ——

WORKSHEET
Attack: 10 Effect: 2 Total: 12 (Unarmed)
Attack: 10 Effect: 8 Total: 18 (Fusion Gun)
Attack: 8 Effect: 10 Total: 18 (Melta Bomb)
Dodge: 8 Tough: 8/10 Total: 16/18
Parry: 8 Tough: 8/10 Total: 16/18

ABILITIES [ 34 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 20 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 23 pp ] +
POWERS [ 37 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 21 pp ] =
135 PP TOTAL

Background:
Fire Dragon Aspect Warriors consider themselves destruction made manifest. Though short ranged, their fusion guns channel so much thermal energy into their targets that even the adamantium-plated rockcrete of a Sanctum-class bunker can be melted away like tallow. Destroying an enemy war machine is barely a challenge to these anti-armour specialists – those vehicles redoubtable enough to survive a volley of fusion gun fire are soon reduced to bubbling slag by discus-shaped melta bombs. Nowhere is safe from the white-hot rage of the Fire Dragon, for even the mightiest fortress affords scant protection.

Mini-Rant:
All of the Eldar Aspect Warriors are incredibly specialized, but probably none more so than the Fire Dragons. On the plus side, a gun that can kill the heaviest of tanks is equally capable of killing infantry. I've always wondered why they don't have a flamer-type weapon as an available option, in fact, I always thought it would be cool if they could use their fusion guns as either flamers or meltaguns. This isn't unprecedented, Space Marine Sternguard Veterans have anti-infantry and anti-tank shooting thanks to their multiple ammo types and Ork Burna boys can swap anti-light infantry shooting for anti-heavy infantry melee with their torches. It would make the Fire Dragons more multipurpose than Aspect Warriors typically are, but it would certain keep with their fiery theme.

"Hey, you wanna be a Fire Dragon?"
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:53 pm Both MSU and Deathstar were easily dealt with by MIRKs missile tactics: multiple independently targetable realm knights. Twelve to fifteen Bretonnian Realm Knights is too large to be an MSU, too small too be a Deathstar (and usually didn’t have but one Hero in it, maybe two if there was a noncombatant Damsel with them). But a well timed multicharge could deal with nearly anything.
And sadly, the Bretonnians were utterly mangled by the 8th Edition, as their Army Book NEVER CAME OUT, despite that Edition going out of its way to nuke regular Cavalry. They had no chance against just about any list in the game, thanks to the "more ranks make you Stubborn" rule, as Knights are not known for their survivability when entrenched in combat.
catsi563

Re: Warhammer 40,000 (Fire Dragons)

Post by catsi563 »

Mini-Rant:
All of the Eldar Aspect Warriors are incredibly specialized, but probably none more so than the Fire Dragons. On the plus side, a gun that can kill the heaviest of tanks is equally capable of killing infantry. I've always wondered why they don't have a flamer-type weapon as an available option, in fact, I always thought it would be cool if they could use their fusion guns as either flamers or meltaguns. This isn't unprecedented, Space Marine Sternguard Veterans have anti-infantry and anti-tank shooting thanks to their multiple ammo types and Ork Burna boys can swap anti-light infantry shooting for anti-heavy infantry melee with their torches. It would make the Fire Dragons more multipurpose than Aspect Warriors typically are, but it would certain keep with their fiery theme.

They actually sued to do just that earliest edition if I recall hey could switch between melta or flamer using the Large flame template, this of course was back when they had a small and large cone template for such things.

still it was something I always thought they should have been able to do as well, with the Fire Dragon leaders Fusion lance doubling as a heavy flamer. In my head canon they do. :twisted:

Catsi stories
Woodclaw

Re: Warhammer 40,000 (Fire Dragons)

Post by Woodclaw »

catsi563 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:55 am
Mini-Rant:

They actually sued to do just that earliest edition if I recall hey could switch between melta or flamer using the Large flame template, this of course was back when they had a small and large cone template for such things.

still it was something I always thought they should have been able to do as well, with the Fire Dragon leaders Fusion lance doubling as a heavy flamer. In my head canon they do. :twisted:
I can confirm it, I still have my 40k 2nd edition handbook and there was this option, at least for the unit commander.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)