Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:12 am
Woodclaw wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:39 am My brain is physically in pain.
EMBRACE THE LUNACY OF THE SETTING, WOODCLAW!! You know you want to!!
It's not the setting, it's the system.
I would refute your statements, but all my sources seem scattered haphazardly through the book for some reason...

Bill Coffin, ex-writer for Palladium (and a major force behind The Coalition Wars) explains the reason: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?74 ... age4&pp=60
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu May 24, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

The appeal to Rifts is not hard to see. It's basically Thundarr the Barbarian: The Game.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yojimbo wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:47 pm The appeal to Rifts is not hard to see. It's basically Thundarr the Barbarian: The Game.
I do love me some Thundarr the Barbarian. There was actually a fun fan RPG of it called "Under a Broken Moon", which is an AWESOME name for an RPG.

Though to be fair, Rifts is more like Thundarr meets Fallout meets Fist of the Northstar meets Captain Power and the Soldiers of the . . . you know what, give me a second . . . .
AH! Here we go:
*a giant mutant monster, equal parts centipede and cyborg, emerges from the ruins of a building*

Thundarr: *activates his sun sword* "Lords of Light! What is this foul creature?!"

Ariel: "It's a cyber-pede, Thundarr! I read about it my father's library. They-"

Kenshiro: *cracks knuckles* "It's just a worm. Waiting to be stepped on."

Ookla: *incoherent yelling*

Thundarr: "Enough talk! Ariel! Ookla! Kenshiro! Vault Dweller! Captain Power! RIDE!"

Vault Dweller: *revs up his mini-gun and sighs* "War never changes."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I like to think of it as Warhammer: 1985. All the insanity of WH40k, all the advanced futuristic technology that we thought we’d have in the future... of 1985.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:12 pm I like to think of it as Warhammer: 1985. All the insanity of WH40k, all the advanced futuristic technology that we thought we’d have in the future... of 1985.
I might agree, except I f***ing hate Warhammer, 40k or 0k or Special K, all of it. The only thing I actually found amusing was a Youtube series called What If The Emperor Had A Text To Speech Device that explains the 40k setting while also taking a huge piss on it.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:18 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:12 pm I like to think of it as Warhammer: 1985. All the insanity of WH40k, all the advanced futuristic technology that we thought we’d have in the future... of 1985.
I might agree, except I f***ing hate Warhammer, 40k or 0k or Special K, all of it. The only thing I actually found amusing was a Youtube series called What If The Emperor Had A Text To Speech Device that explains the 40k setting while also taking a huge piss on it.
That’s okay, Ares. You’re allowed to be wrong.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:25 pm
That’s okay, Ares. You’re allowed to be wrong.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I almost used a gif of that old SNL "Jane, you ignorant slut" bit, but thought that might be pushing it. ;)

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

My personal view of the 40k is that is a setting that doesn't make any fricking sense as a whole, but it works in small chunks. The problem when dealing with galaxy wide settings is remembering that every f***ing planet is a f***ing planet and comprise billions of potential characters. Unfortunately this has been a huge problem of the 40k as a whole, compounded by how every group of GW writers did its best to remove any redeeming value from any faction in the game.
If you take a look at some smaller scale products, like the Dark Heresy RPG and some of the most "personal" stuff from Black Library, there's plenty to do. Looking at those books that provided a more down to earth look, I was finally able to see a glimmer of hope in that bleak future.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I think I'd only ever use Warhammer as part of some kind of crossover game, where they were coming through portals and winding up in franchises I liked much better. In which case, every faction would be portrayed as legions of overpowered, gibbering insane, unreasonably aggressive invaders that needed to be stopped.

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:39 pm I think I'd only ever use Warhammer as part of some kind of crossover game, where they were coming through portals and winding up in franchises I liked much better. In which case, every faction would be portrayed as legions of overpowered, gibbering insane, unreasonably aggressive invaders that needed to be stopped.
40k vs Star Trek

"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

"We are the World's Eaters. Prepare to face us in battle for the glory of Khorne. Resistance is funny."
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:44 pm I almost used a gif of that old SNL "Jane, you ignorant slut" bit, but thought that might be pushing it. ;)
I laughed my ass off at it. I love that old skit.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I started but never got to finish a campaign that saw the Third Company of the Imperial Fists (with supporting elements from their First, Eighth, and Tenth Companies) invading the Earth my superhero players called home.

The Astartes had been out on a campaign and were returning to Holy Terra to report their success, restock, and resupply. But the Warp was fickle and deposited their fleet in a different universe... To find an Earth without an Emperor and overrun by mutants, sorcerers, psychics, and other heretics.

They were not happy.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

WOOOOOOOAAAAAAAHHHHH- are you saying their 150 MB Hard Drives are just a little too unrealistic for a setting only 300 years in the future, or what?