Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Ninja Crazy! Ninja Juicer! Dragon 'Borgs!)

Post by Ares »

Sweet! Looking forward to this, as Rifts was always one of those gonzo settings I loved to read and hated to play, at least with the existing system. Haven't given the Savage Worlds system a try yet.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

I'm just waiting for the Rifts - Lemuria and the Dweller in the Deep.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I somehow hadn't really ever heard much about Rifts before these bulids started up, but reading all the builds (as well as the Fatal and Friends pages) has been really interesting. Will you be statting the non-Glitter Boy power armor and robots from the main rulebook like the Samson?
Jabroniville

Oni

Post by Jabroniville »

ONI R.C.C.
Role:
Demonic Race
PL 9 (98 + Magic)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 8 (+7)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Assorted Adventurer Gear), Extraordinary Effort, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Tracking

Powers:
"Magical Might" One of four sets of Magical Spells; no others

Immunity 7 (Heat, Cold, Fire Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [4]
Senses 2 (Low-Light & Extended Vision) [2]
Regeneration 3 [3]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (Human Beings)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 16 + Magic / Defenses: 8 (98 + Magic)

-Rifts Japan goes into a lot of depth about how other nations within Japan are dealing with "The Zone", but a much smaller portion of the book dedicated to what's within it- this whole section is shoved into the back of the book as borderline "filler", as they promise an "Oni & Spirts" book in *1996* that was literally never mentioned again, and has never come out). The Zone is mostly riddled with Oni- demons of varied appearance. And HOLY GOD does the book go into detail about just how awful, putrid and evil these things are. Depicted as simple-minded buffoons who hunt, torture, rape and kill other beings for pleasure, they are more like roving bands who attack anyone they can find. They're not likeable, impressive-looking or deep- they're just 100% evil monsters, even called ugly and only interested in conquest.

-Oni naturally have multiple tables for every aspect of their appearance, most of which matters little to their overall stats (a few MDC or Intimidation here and there, typically). Their MDC is rather high considering it's an ENTIRE RACE of these things, and they even have big selections of magic spells (I don't feel like going into and statting up ALL OF THEM; just read the book)- one of four different sets.

-"Oni", naturally, were a rather specific kind of thing in Japanese Mythology- very strong giants who lived in the mountains and called down thunder. In the West, we tend to conflate the idea with "Demon" because they had horns in a lot of drawings, but they're really more a distinct type of monster, more akin to an Ogre than anything (Dungeons & Dragons uses an "Ogre Mage" for this purpose). In Rifts, of course, they simply merge Oni with the MUCH more evil-looking spirits & monsters in Japanese Mythology, calling them all one kind of thing, but specifying they're all different kinds of demons. Which basically f*cks up a key component of Japanese Mythology, and gives off more of the "They Just Didn't Care" approach. Which is hilarious, given that Kevin Siembieda is f*cking IN LOVE with the idea of Oni, even featuring them prominently as super-powered Space Samurai in a Phase World Supplement.

ONI MASTER- PL 10 (106 + Magic): +1 INT, +1 AWA, +1 ST, +1 STA, More Magic (one of two sets) [8]
ONI MYSTIC- PL 11 (132 + Magic, Psionics & Skills): +3 INT, +3 AWA, PRE +3, +2 ST, +4 STA, +4 Impervious Toughness, 17 Magic Spells & 12 Psionic Powers, More Skills [34]
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidious wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:17 pm I'm just waiting for the Rifts - Lemuria and the Dweller in the Deep.
I should make a poll for all the books I have. It's a good bit of stuff :).
Jabroniville

Japanese D-Bee Monsters

Post by Jabroniville »

RACIAL TEMPLATES:
* In some of the books, I'll just throw down Templates instead of doing REALLY elaborate builds.

SURA-KAPPA R.C.C. (46 points + Magic):
-ST +1, STA +2, FIGHTING +2, AWA -1 [8]
-Expertise (Survival) 6, Treatment 2 [4]
-Strength-Damage +4, Protection +4, Environmental Adaptation (Aquatic), Senses (Low-Light Vision), Immunity 2 (Pressure, Drowning), Immunity 5 (Cold Damage- Half Only), Regeneration 6, Healing 4, Swimming 4, "Ocean Magic" Air Swim, Calm Waters, Comprehend Sea Creatures, Ride the Waves, Weed Snare, Water Pulse, Water Rush, Water Spout [34 + Magic]
-Kappa are famously-polite creatures from Japanese mythology, said to be forced to bow if bowed to- this empties the bowl-shaped hole in their heads of water, reducing their powers to nothing. Rifts makes them a bit variable, with some being helpful and others evil. They become S.D.C. creatures if their head-water is spilled.

GOBLIN R.C.C. (1 point):
-AGI +1, INT -1 [0]
-Senses (Low-Light Vision) [1]
-A "Cobbler" (15% of Goblins) has Morph 2 (Small Animals, Metamorph), Expertise (Carpentry) 4, and Magic (Mend Wood, Wither Plants, Sense Magic, Charm, Tongues, Darkness)- All Limited to 2/day [11 + Magic]
-Goblins are evil, vindictive creatures, and apparently also live in Japan by the millions, second only to Oni. They're short, jealous of pretty people, and stupid. This bit is translated right from the Rifts Conversion Book One.

GOBLIN SPIDER R.C.C. (129 points + Magic):
-ST +1, STA +5, AGI +2, FIGHTING +4, INT +1, AWA +1, PRE +1 [30]
-Deception 6, Insight 4, Perception 4, Languages 1 (Many), Tracking [9]
-Strength-Damage +6 (Penetrating 4), Protection +8 (Impervious 9), Extra Limbs 6, Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Vision Counters Concealment), Immunity 4 (Poison, Disease, Drugs), Regeneration 6 (Regrow Limbs), Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling), Features 1 (Poisonous Blood), Morph 2 (Goblin, Orc or Oni), "Webbing" Snare 4, "Lethal Venom" Weaken Stamina 8 (Progressive, Limited to 2D6 Minutes), "Line Walkers" Dimensional Portal, Close Rift, Mystic Portal, Shadow Meld, Eyes of Thoth, Tongues, Time Slip + 10 More Spells [90 + Magic]
-Much like Oni, these are famous torturers, and are said to have annihilated billions on their homeworld, until the True Atlanteans thankfully committed genocide and wiped out 80% of the known species (and those genociders are the setting's HEROES!). The remainder spread around the cosmos and now live on Earth, sneaking about and trying to connive their way into everything. Most prefer Asia, though they have ears in Atlantis and other places as well. Goblin Spiders have INCREDIBLY-high Toughness (2D4x100 M.D.C.! They can be baseline TWICE AS DURABLE as a Dragon Hatchling, and are 200 M.D.C. minimum!), but aren't quite as capable in combat. Fire does double-damage.

JAPANESE IMP R.C.C. (39 points):
-DEX +2 [4]
-Stealth 4, Sleight of Hand 6, Tracking [6]
-Strength-Damage +6, Protection +8 (Impervious 5), Senses (Low-Light Vision), Immunity 10 (Cold & Fire Damage, Half-Effect), Regeneration 4, 3 Arts of Invisibility [29 + Arts]
-Depicted like whiny, conniving "yes men" who leech off of those stronger than them, these guys basically act like Imp from She-Ra. Their stats are actually SUPERIOR to those of humans if you think about it, as they only roll 2D6, but add flat numbers (typically 4 or 6) to them, which means they average higher than 3D6. Most are said to be unable to swim.

"Hi, I'm Vince Martin, and this is what it looks like when I run out of ideas but have lots of ink left in my pen."

HANNYA DEMON R.C.C. (55 points + Magic):
-ST +3, STA +4, AGI +1, FIGHTING +2, INT -2, AWA -1 [14]
-Strength-Damage +6 (Penetrating 5), Morph 1 (Beautiful Woman), Regeneration 8 (Ranks 3-8 Limited to Night), Senses (Low-Light Vision), Flight 4, Concealment (Visuals), Immunity 7 (Cold, Poison, Drugs, Disease, Possession), "Magic" Mask of Deceit, Repel Animals, Float In Air, Thunderclap, Escape, Tongues [41 + Magic]
-Vicious hag-like beings who prey upon children and drink their blood, Hannya are mythological beings that explain humanity's distaste for gross old women. They're depicted as single-minded and really dumb, but capable of turning into sexy women to lure in travellers. However, they must transform first to begin their attack.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:35 am
Sidious wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:17 pm I'm just waiting for the Rifts - Lemuria and the Dweller in the Deep.
I should make a poll for all the books I have. It's a good bit of stuff :).
I went through and got the PDFs of all the hard copies I had once (legally even.) I think I'm only missing a few things now for an entire collection.

My favorite things in Rifts have been Neo-Humans from South America II, The Lord of the Deep and Nemo-2 and the New Navy from Underseas, the entire England world book, the Wolfen Quatoria from Phase World I, and Dimension Book I: Wormwood.
Jabroniville

Japanese Dragons

Post by Jabroniville »

JAPANESE DRAGON R.C.C.
Role:
Evil Otherworldly Monsters
PL 14 (230)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 17 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+13)
Expertise (Japanese Stuff) 10 (+14)
Expertise (History) 4 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+14 Size)
Perception 5 (+9)
Treatment 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Artificer, Fast Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Dragon Physiology"
"Actually Kinda Slow" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
"Fueled By Magic" Immunity 8 (Aging, Starvation & Thirst, Cold, Poison, Disease, Possession) [8]
"Invisibility" Concealment 2 (Vision) [4]
"Draconic Senses" Senses 12 (Low-Light Vision, Vision Counters Concealment 4, Ley Line Awareness- Ranged 2, Dragon Awareness- Ranged 2, Tracking) [12]
"Family Matters" Features 1: Insantly Recognize Parents, Children & Siblings on Sight [1]
"Intuitive Magic" Features 1: May Use Any Techno-Wizard Device, Read Magic, etc. [1]
"Draconic Size" Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (30 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]

"Metamorphosis" Morph 3 (Any Living Being) [15]

"Draconic Combat"
"Natural Weapons" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 8) [11]
"Dragon's Scales" Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 15) [16]
Regeneration 8 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+12 Damage, DC 25)
Claws +9 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +18 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +17, Will +10

Complications:
Rivalry (Other Dragons)- Dragons have an automatic dislike and distrust of other Dragons.
Prejudice (Creatures of Magic)- Dragons are killed on-sight in Coalition or New German Republic territories, among others.
Vulnerable (Fire, Magic, Rune Weapons, Millennium Tree Weapons, Silver)- Anything made of these does extra damage.

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 98 / Defenses: 15 (230)

-Dear God, this section is epic. It's quite easily the most half-assed, least thought-out portion of the entire book, which is hilarious because it's got the most powerful things in all of Rifts Japan, one after the other. NPC Dragons with THOUSANDS of M.D.C., shitloads of Magic Spells (typically knowing ALL the Spells between certain levels) and tons of superfluous abilities... except their bios are contemptuously short, contain almost no useful information, and even THEIR NAMES ARE TRANSLATED INCORRECTLY. Like, who tries that little for something that's clearly supposed to be a big deal in the setting? They even shoved all this crap into the last few pages of the book, as if it was a last-minute decision spurred on by Vince Martin doing some okay-ish, boring drawings of Asian-Style Dragons.

-They leave rules in for Hatchlings... but only their starting M.D.C. It's unexplained what kind of Magic or Psionics they get, because if they get ALL of it, then they're way out of balance with even the Great Horned Dragon Hatchling, who matches their toughness.

-Lazy, lazy work- they're mentioned as flying, yet given no stats for it that I can see. Seriously, this setting is IN GODDAMN LOVE with the Oni, and gives longer bios to the f*cking Kappa and Goblin Spider than they do to any of these Dragons. It's practically like they were disgusted at the idea of doing these, and didn't even put in the effort. Very hilarious.

SHIKOME KIDO-MI DRAGON- PL 14 (236 + Magic & Psionics): FIGHTING +1, Expertise (Martial Arts) 8 (+12), 70% Know All Spells (Level 1-8), All Dimensional Magic, Create Zombie & Mummy, Talisman, Sanctum, Amulet; 29% Know All Temporal Raider Magic, All Spells (Level 1-3) & All Dimensional Magic; 1% Know All Magic Spells (Level 1-5) & Tattoo Magic; Psionics (Clairvoyance, See Aura, Sense Magic, Sixth Sense, Telepathy, Death Trance, Automatic Mind Block Defense, Hypnotic Suggestion) [6 + Magic & Psionics]
-Totally evil beings, said to be beyond allying with others. They are martial arts masters, but cannot use any of the powers themselves (what use something this strong has for any of them is left unsaid)- they just teach them to others, corrupting the beings as they do so.

KUMO-MI CLOUD DRAGON- PL 14 (230 + Magic, Psionics & Martial Arts): 50% Know All Air All Air, Illusion & Dimensional Magic, Tongues, Magic Pigeon, Eyes of Thoth, Sanctum, Dispel Magic, Negate, Anti-Magic Cloud & Both Protection Circles, 50% Know All Air Warlock Spells from another book; Psionics (All Healing Abilities, Telepathy, Empathy, Mind Block); 1 Art of Invisibility & 1 Zenjoriki Power [Magic & Psionics & Martial Arts]
-Some of these are good; others are evil. They lack the Vulnerability to Rune & Millennium Tree weapons, and gain two superfluous Martial Arts powers they'll barely need.

ASAMA-TATSU- PL 14 (241 + Magic & Psionics): Protection +1, Immunity 10 (Fire Effects), 50% are Ley Line Walkers (All Spells from Level 1-7, plus 12 Spells from Level 8-15); 20% are Diabolists (Conversion Book One); 20% are Techno-Wizards (All Spells from Levels 1-5, plus 6 from higher Levels); 10% are Alchemists; Psionics (All Physical Powers, Telepathy, Automatic Mind Block Defense, Pyrokinesis, PPE Shield) [11 + Magic & Psionics]
-It has only vulnerabilities to Cold Damage, being a "Volcano Dragon" (naturally, it's translated incorrectly). The largest of the Dragons, this golden beast can have any kind of personality, and is about a thousand M.D.C. tougher than the others.
Jabroniville

Rifts South America

Post by Jabroniville »

RIFTS SOUTH AMERICA (1994):
-Released super, super early in the Rifts run is South America, which, instead of being about one city or country, is about an ENTIRE CONTINENT. Africa got the same deal. Oddly, this one got a sequel, while Rifts Africa never did. Possibly (okay, probably) owing to the positive reaction to this one, and the negative reaction to that one. This is one of CJ Carella's babies, and is thus considered responsible for a lot of the early "Power Creep" of the setting, as he ramps up the hitting power of various Guns & Robots in this book. Carella explained this away as noticing that the huge MDC of the Robot Armors and Giant Robots in the setting made battles last for 20+ rounds, so he boosted the hitting power of guns to compensate. This had the side-effect of making unarmed damage ridiculously weak, and all of the earlier books sport immediately outdated weaponry. Kevin Siembieda was outraged, but apparently didn't edit things properly, because HOLY HELL is the power level amped up here. Multiple NPC races of Mooks are packing MDC greater than a Great Horned Dragon in the Main Rulebook if he rolled well!

A key thing about South America is that there's no over-arching plot or "theme" to anything- it's just a collection of PLACES. But for that, it kind of works. My friend Paul REALLY loved this book, to the point of setting our Play-By-Email Campaign there. In essence, it's a "Cities of Adventure" kind of thing- about various things you can explore and places you can visit. Some have Vampires, some are run by Cat Gods, some are evil, some are good... it's basically showing Carella's imagination, and the sheer amount of crap you can shove into the Sandbox Setting that is Rifts. And also penis-lasers.

Most of the O.C.C.s are rather boring and generic, but fine (Sailor, Pirate, etc.). The NPCs are pretty good, like an evil Vampire Lord. There's Lizard People EVERYWHERE, too- including an entire city ruled by a Dragon and a Lizard Man "Bio-Borg". Cleverly, there are THREE El Dorados, each of which mistrusts the others. Because it's Carella, damn near every R.C.C. in the book is an M.D.C. creature- even the ones that look 100% human! There's one of the dumbest R.C.C.s in Rifts history, and MOUNTAINS of "Felinoids" (cat people), sporting some of the worst art you'll ever see in these books. This "Kevin Siembieda" guy really should have been given the boot by Kevin Siembieda.

Carella owes the book to his childhood growing up in Peru & Venezuela, and mentions another worldbook coming, as he only touches on the Northern half of the continent.
Jabroniville

Sailor

Post by Jabroniville »

SAILOR O.C.C.
Role:
Ocean Travellers
PL 7 (61)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Sailor) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Survical) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+4)
Technology 4 (+4)
Treatment 2 (+2)
Vehicles 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 11 (Gear)

Equipment:
"Trooper Body Armor"
Protection 7 (Impervious 5) (12)
Immunity 6 (Radiation, Vacuum, Hot, Cold, Suffocation 2) (6)
Mini-Computer (2)
Tinted Visor (1)

"AT-88 Energy Rifle" Blast 10 (Extras: Multiattack) (30)
"Assorted Gear" Gas Masks, Radios, etc. (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Assault Rifle +4 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +2 (+9 Trooper Armor), Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (61)

-The Sailor is the most generic O.C.C. in the South America book, but is ideal for a continent that's broken up into various "Islands of Adventure"- the book mentions how useful and necessary they are. Sailors are said to often be on the run, or constantly seeking adventure- many wish to become the captain of their own ship. But given how INSANELY DANGEROUS all the waterways of Rifts Earth are said to be, I can't imagine long lives for any of these dudes. Seriously, the rulebook hates intercontinental travel SO MUCH they basically wrote in rules that say everyone who tries to go anywhere ends up dead.

-A Sailor is a pretty generic soldier, but has some more specific skills than the common layman gun-for-hire would. As usual, 20 Rifts skills are easily reduced to a single "Expertise (_____)" piece of info.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So since we're starting out with the lamer characters, here's my collection of Rifts books that I've yet to stat out- which ones would you like to see statted out first?

World Books:
2) Atlantis (the major Spaceport of Atlantis, with the setting's Big Bads, The Splugorth)
4) Africa (most famously details the Four Horsemen- major villains in the setting)
6) South America
7) Underseas (Dolphins & Killer Whales in Power Armor. That's all you need to know)
14) New West (details the West, which consists of cowboy throwbacks, but with cyborgs and MDC gear)
16) Federation of Magic ("Oh, you think Mages are underpowered? Here ya go")
22) Free Quebec (detailing the Coalition's ally/rival)
31) Triax Two (a sequel, with new Power Creep)
32) Lemuria (Undersea Monsters)
34) Northern Gun 2 (MORE GEAR)

Dimension Books:
2) Phase World (the SUPER-space setting, containing the infamous Cosmo-Knights)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 am So since we're starting out with the lamer characters, here's my collection of Rifts books that I've yet to stat out- which ones would you like to see statted out first?

World Books:
2) Atlantis (the major Spaceport of Atlantis, with the setting's Big Bads, The Splugorth)
4) Africa (most famously details the Four Horsemen- major villains in the setting)
6) South America
7) Underseas (Dolphins & Killer Whales in Power Armor. That's all you need to know)
14) New West (details the West, which consists of cowboy throwbacks, but with cyborgs and MDC gear)
16) Federation of Magic ("Oh, you think Mages are underpowered? Here ya go")
22) Free Quebec (detailing the Coalition's ally/rival)
31) Triax Two (a sequel, with new Power Creep)
32) Lemuria (Undersea Monsters)
34) Northern Gun 2 (MORE GEAR)

Dimension Books:
2) Phase World (the SUPER-space setting, containing the infamous Cosmo-Knights)
I'd say my top 5 picks would be:

1) Phase World
2) Atlantis
3) Free Quebec
4) South America
5) New West
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Atlantis Free Quebec underseas triax
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I forget, what’s in Free Quebec that I didn’t stat up already?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:58 am I forget, what’s in Free Quebec that I didn’t stat up already?
It's the Glitterboy version of the Juicer book, with a half-dozen or so armor variants.