Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Substitute Heroes! Thunder! Brainiac 5! White Witch!)

Post by Spectrum »

Hmm, wonder if Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury would be considered gods for that Amazon temple idea.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Goldar

Re: Jab's Builds! (Thunder! Brainiac 5! White Witch! Kinetix! Supergirl!)

Post by Goldar »

I am enjoying all your great Legion builds, Jab! Very nice and accurate.

Of note about Supergirl's strength, she was very strong, second to Superman in the original version of DC RPG. Going by memory, Superman was 50, with Supergirl (and Mon-El both) at 48. Superboy was 47, Wonder Woman and Night Girl at 45, with Ultraboy at 44. Earth-2 Supes was 36, E-2 Power Girl was 33 and E-2 WW was 26. :P
Davies

Re: Supergirl

Post by Davies »

It's eighties as all hell, but I really do think this was her best outfit.

Well, second best, after an utterly unremarkable brown coat.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
scc

Re: White Witch

Post by scc »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:59 am
Ken wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:27 am One, when did Mysa look like this?

Two, I'll be in my bunk.
I really got nothin'. She just shows up that way on ComicVine, and I was like "Hey, these are different looks! They might be canon! Also, HHHHHNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGHHHHHHHH". There's some Archie Legion stuff where she has red hair, so that might be the second one.

Michael Dooney is one hell of a pin-up artist. Apparently most of his comics work is TMNT stuff. Which is a shame, because look at this: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/michael- ... 08/images/

Damn!!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:35 pm Still, she was one of the top female characters in comics history (pretty easily outracing Mary Marvel- who was created a decade earlier by the same writer),
More like 17 years between their creation. And it wasn't really an "outrace". Mary Marvel was dropped from Wow Comics in late '47 and Mary Marvel Comics was cancelled a year later. Of course she appeared regularly in Marvel Family for another five years.

And there was about a five year gap between Mary's last golden age appearance (being part of Fawcett giving up all their super heroes) and Kara's debut.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Excuse me, Jab?

He was a centaur who turned flying horse who turned into cowboy. Gosh! Don’t you stupid boys know anything!?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:35 pm -Pre-Crisis Supergirl is pretty much where Superboy is in power- though the female Kryptonians are usually weaker than the males, which only really makes sense if you assume that the strength difference between males and females among humans is proportionate in Kryptonians. Never mind the fact that both are far stronger than people of their size ever possibly could be, so muscle mass clearly shouldn't matter so much.
That always seemed kind of silly to me. I mean, lets say Superman can lift several million more tons than Supergirl. When both of them can lift hundreds of billions, if not trillions of tons, does that really make a noticeable difference between them? Once you get to a certain strength level, relatively minor differences in strength stop mattering, and there have to be large gaps in strength for someone to have an edge. It's why I generally prefer tiers of strength. Once you get to Kryptonian or Daxamite class strength, it should all be pretty equal, and you need vastly stronger people like Validus to really stand out.
Spectrum wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:35 pm Hmm, wonder if Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury would be considered gods for that Amazon temple idea.
Nope. I try to keep the Marvel Family Mythos and the Wonder Woman mythos fairly separate, save where there is logical overlap. Wonder Woman already ripped off the Marvel Family post crisis by essentially ripping off Pre-Crisis Mary Marvel's powerset (granted to her by 6 gods, no less), and then later on Diana could use her bracelets to summon down lightning as a kind of ultimate attack.

I remember reading that and being legitimately angry. "Come on, haven't you guys cannibalized the Marvel Family enough already, you've got to give Diana her own Shazam Bolt too?!?!?!"

It's best just to keep the Temples of Themyscria limited to the Oylmpian Panetheon, which fits with the Amazon anyway. And between the major Olympians and all of the minor gods, they cover most of the bases.
Ken wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:18 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:35 pm Still, she was one of the top female characters in comics history (pretty easily outracing Mary Marvel- who was created a decade earlier by the same writer),
More like 17 years between their creation. And it wasn't really an "outrace". Mary Marvel was dropped from Wow Comics in late '47 and Mary Marvel Comics was cancelled a year later. Of course she appeared regularly in Marvel Family for another five years.

And there was about a five year gap between Mary's last golden age appearance (being part of Fawcett giving up all their super heroes) and Kara's debut.
Oh the irony there. "Alright, we've successfully gotten Fawcett to stop making Captain Marvel comics by claiming that they ripped off Superman, despite Captain Marvel and Superman having a total of 4 powers in common and some vague visual similarities. Next order of business, we start ripping off the Marvel Family. I want a younger girl version of Superman wearing a Mary Marvel version of Supes outfit, and a Junior version of Superman. But to be less obvious, we'll make that last one the stories of Superman when he was a kid. You know, like Billy Batson was."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:39 pm Excuse me, Jab?

He was a centaur who turned flying horse who turned into cowboy. Gosh! Don’t you stupid boys know anything!?
UGH- sorry I'm not all up on your gross FEMININE stuff, woman!! *continues researching the tragic death of Monster High while trying to find Legacy Day CA Cupid on eBay*
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:48 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:18 pm

Oh the irony there. "Alright, we've successfully gotten Fawcett to stop making Captain Marvel comics by claiming that they ripped off Superman, despite Captain Marvel and Superman having a total of 4 powers in common and some vague visual similarities. Next order of business, we start ripping off the Marvel Family. I want a younger girl version of Superman wearing a Mary Marvel version of Supes outfit, and a Junior version of Superman. But to be less obvious, we'll make that last one the stories of Superman when he was a kid. You know, like Billy Batson was."
Well, the powers they had in common were the ones they both started with: great strength, great speed, tremendous leaping ability, and being very difficult to hurt. And the Captain wasn't the only one they went after. Fox Publications' Wonder Man and Fawcett's Master Man both got DC's dander up. But the part that hurt DC was that Cap was outselling Superman.

The popularity of Billy was seen early on. Having a character in the strip that the boys reading the comics could identify with worked so well for the Captain that Robin, Bucky, Toro, Speedy, Tim the Kid Terror, et al. became a thing.

The Superboy strip was started in 1945. They didn't need a lawsuit to be complete. The general belief is that Superboy was created due to the success of Captain Marvel Junior (who wasn't the Captain's sidekick, but rather a separate character with a different mood and feeling, despite having the same powers as the Captain.)

And at least DC gave Otto Binder a job after they put Fawcett Comics under. And since he created Mary Marvel, and he created Supergirl, there's every bit of liklihood that Mr. Binder sat there and said, "hey this worked before".
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Andromeda

Post by Jabroniville »

They- they knew what they were doing with the wording and the body language in that last panel, weren't they?

ANDROMEDA (Laurel Gand)
Created By:
Tom & Mary Bierbaum, Keith Giffen & Al Gordon
First Appearance: Legion of Super-Heroes #5 (March 1990)
Home Planet: Daxam
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities (Under a Yellow Sun)
Eras: Original (Post-Crisis), Reboot
Relationships: Brainiac-5, Rond Vidar
Role: Super-Heavyweight Fighter, Flying Brick, Hot Amazon
PL 12 (246)
STRENGTH
15 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 4 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Fearless, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Daxamite Physiology"
Power-Lifting 4 (12,000 tons) [4]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 13) [15]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]

"Heat Beam" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (36) -- [38]
  • AE: "Heat Vision" Blast 13 (Feats: Extended Reach) (27)
  • AE: "Ground Pound" Affliction 14 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) (28)
"Faster Than a Speeding Bullet"
Flight 14 (32,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (29) -- [33]
  • Dynamic AE: Quickness 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (9)
  • Dynamic AE: Speed 10 (2,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (11)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]

Senses 19 (Extended Vision & Hearing 3, Analytical, Low-Light, Infra, Ultra & Microvision 3, Vision Penetrates Concealment, Ultra-Hearing) [19]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Heat Vision +8 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Heat Beam +15 Area (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +15 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +5

Complications: 
Responsibility (Mildly-Bigoted & Angry)- Andromeda believes in the superiority of her race over others, and is often very aggressive.
Power Loss/Vulnerable (Lead)- Lead is INCREDIBLY-poisonous to Daxamites, and will quickly begin to kill them. Even the trace amounts of lead in atmospheres (such as Earth's) will cause fatal exposure. Andromeda uses a special serum from Brainiac-5 to counter this.
Power Loss/Vulnerable (Red Sun Radiation)- Earth's Yellow Sun empowers Daxamites- without it, they will soon lose their powers. Red Sun-based energies will do much more damage to them as well. Typically, Brainiac-5 will give Laurel some kind of protection against this weakness.

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 121 / Defenses: 10 (246)

Original Laurel Gand:
-Andromeda was one of those odd Legionnaires chosen to fill a gap- this gap being Supergirl's history with the Legion. Introduced as "Laurel Gand", a Daxamite (named after Laurel Kent, Clark's future relative ALSO erased by the Crisis), Laurel was rather plucky and very Supergirl-ish at first (wearing a much cooler girl-version of Mon-El's costume), turning into a semi-grouchy gigantic adult woman (while a younger clone version was running around... Legion "SW6" makes about zero sense to someone just reading synopses online, I've discovered). The post-Zero Hour reboot turned her into a much more interesting (but not necessarily in a good way...) bitch-tastic xenophobe who was obsessed with the superiority of her own people. I guess that makes sense given the fact that they all have SUPERMAN POWERS, but whatever.

-So yeah, Laurel Gand was created to replace both Supergirl and Laurel Kent- both of whom had been erased following Crisis on Infinite Earths. All of Supergirl's appearances are thus said to have revolved around this new character- a blonde-haired Daxamite with a peppy personality. She joined the Legion to avenge the deaths of her parents at the hands of the Khunds. Laurel was pretty much only used for this purpose (even sharing Kara's relationship with Brainiac 5), and turned up after "Five Years Later" married to Rond Vidar, and with a daughter named Lauren.

-Like most Legionnaires, she met up with an "SW6" Clone, this one taking the name "Andromeda". These Clones being sort of an attempt at recapturing the "young heroes" aspect of the Legion, and more of a "dry run" for what would become the Reboot, Andromeda would later be the "Reboot" version of Laurel, who was killed by a terrorist's bomb during an early mission with a renegade Legion squad fighting the Dominators who'd taken control of Earth. This Legion was soon erased from history.

Reboot-Era Laurel:
-Laurel probably got more use in "Reboot", where she was introduced as a xenophobic "White Triangle" agent- a Daxamite supremacist who was placed on the Legion due to political reasons. As you might imagine, having a racial supremacist/separatist on the LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES was a bit of a problem, particularly when she had trouble touching the icky aliens the team had to fight. She was forced to confront her beliefs by Brainiac 5, who made a version of Valor's "Anti-Lead" serum that worked on her physiology, and sort of did a "Babyface Turn", helping out the team a little more. She exiled herself after being thought-dead, started hero-worshipping M'onel, then joined a religious convent. These versions last appeared in Legion of Three Worlds, in the background scenes.

-Too bad really, because read-throughs of her personality and the things she's done make her actually seem interesting (and it is REALLY tough to make me give a crap about the 10,000th DC character with this exact same freaking power-set. DC has more Flying Bricks than Image has Wolverine knock-offs!!). She's basically Supergirl in the future at first, but her more grouchy adult version has twinges of Power Girl to her without the extreme boob focus, and the xenophobe version was cool until they went "Space Nun" with her. I still like the weird Mon-El-ish costume best.

Andromeda's Powers:
-Andromeda is a heavy-duty powerhouse, even though she's pretty amateurish as Flying Bricks go. She's fairly less accurate in combat than the Superboy/Mon-El crowd due to lack of experience and being a lesser character and all that (+8 ain't BAD of course, but it's like Marvel Powerhouse accurate), but she's still packing +15 Damage, which is INCREDIBLE, and way beyond most of her teammates in the "Archie Legion" era. PL 11.5 and 246 points on someone who is practically a rookie is CRAZY.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:53 am

UGH- sorry I'm not all up on your gross FEMININE stuff, woman!! *continues researching the tragic death of Monster High while trying to find Legacy Day CA Cupid on eBay*
Glad we got that cleared up.

*returns to basement workbench to resume cleaning her submachine gun*
Shock

Post by Shock »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:02 am

I'm very confused right now. You two are terrible stereotypes
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Shock wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:26 am
Batgirl III wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:02 am

I'm very confused right now. You two are terrible stereotypes
You’re right, I mean, I don’t even own a minivan and I only own one Mosin. Although I did drive a Ford Ranger in college that I called the “AT-AT.”

Jabroniville

Tellus

Post by Jabroniville »

TELLUS (Ganglios)
Created By:
Paul Levitz & Steve Lightle
First Appearance: The Legion of Super-Heroes #9 (April 1985)
Home Planet: Hykraius
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities
Eras: Original Only
Relationships: None
Role: Alien-Looking Guy
PL 10 (169)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+9)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (TK Blast) 5 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Leadership, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up

Powers:
"Hykarian Physiology"
Immunity 2 (Drowning, Pressure) [2]
"Hard Shell" Impervious Toughness 5 [5]
"Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]
Swimming 5 (16 mph) [5]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]

"Hykarian Mental Powers"
"Telekinesis" Move Object 10 (20) -- [22]
  • AE: Telekinetic Blast 9 (18)
  • AE: Force Field 4 (Extras: Impervious 4) (8)
"Telepathy" Mental Communication 4 Linked to Mind-Reading 8 (Extras: Move Action) [40]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
TK Blast +9 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Mind-Reading -- (+8 Mind-Reading, DC 18)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +8 (+12 Force Field, +3-5 Impervious), Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications: 
Disabled (Stubby Fingers)- Tellus cannot easily handle objects.
Weakness (Fish Out Of Water)- Without his methane/water-filled breathing apparatus, Tellus will slowly die.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 77 / Defenses: 8 (169)

-Tellus is another of those "non-humanoid" Legionnaires, one of the first, in fact, coming in during the later years of the original continuity. Basically more of a background guy half the time, he was an aquatic yellow creature with a big tail, who had Telekinesis & Telepathy (avoiding the "Same Power Problem" that others had since Saturn Girl was off the team in this era). He did some stuff with the Legion Academy, eventually getting inducted onto the team at the same time as Polar Boy, Magnetic Kid, Sensor Girl & Quislet, sort of a "new era" for the book. He had some adventures, but was gone by the "Five Years Later" storyline (he'd joined a criminal organization called the "Dark Circle" by then), which didn't help his chances when the Legion reboots started happening.

-So his time was one of the shortest, being only a few years long, and he never made it back onto any Rebooted team. But that's kind of what happens to non-humanoid characters in comics- the best you can hope for is a Hulk/Maul/Blok kind of thing where they're just KIND OF "off"- going full-blown E.T. on everybody just makes people gloss them over or go over the top with them, and they nearly always fail in comics. He HAS appeared a few times in recent history, however, including a team that R.J. Brande sent to the 21st Century, and in the 2011 Legion Lost New 52 book.

-Tellus is actually really expensive since he adds the TP/TK build ON TOP of a Flight Ring and being actually quite strong and tough. He's not particularly great at either thing, though, being a minor Legionnaire in terms of power (his best feats are handling Mon-El in the Phantom Zone via TK, and breaking through Saturn Girl's mental defenses, both of which are very high-tier). He's good at "casual" Mind Reading, meaning he's got the Action Extra, able to more readily activate his powers and do them while engaging in other activities. He's a bit like Namor in that he needs water, but he's got that helmet on to keep him safe.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

This is a really question that's coming out of nowhere but ........why haven't you stated up the Batman villian Anarchy yet?