Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Colossus (Golem)

Post by Jabroniville »

COLOSSUS I
Created By:
Len Wein & Herb Trimpe
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #145 (Nov. 1971)
Role: One-Off Villain

-This Colossus was a giant golem created by the Horusians, an alien race resembling Heliopolitan Gods, who visited Egypt in ancient times and planted a "seed" for him, so they could watch a great combat, as they are a fight-loving species. Colossus awoke and went on a rampage, but The Hulk just happened to be nearby- he smashed up the boastful creature, tearing him to pieces and burying him in the desert.
M4C8

Re: The Colossus

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:44 am ImageImage

THE COLOSSUS (Agent 7M)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Dick Ayers
First Appearance: Tales to Astonish #58 (Aug. 1964)
Role: One-Off Villain
PL 8 (91)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Space Soldiers) 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+4, +8 Size)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 3 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 6 (Spaceship), Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Vega-Superior Physiology"
Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (30 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Blasters +4 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Vega Superior)- The Colossus is an adavance man for his people, testing out potential targets for invasion.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 16 (91)

-Yes, there is more than one Marvel character named Colossus. One was actually created five issues before this one, but was a Guardian Monster in a story invented by The Wasp. THIS loser is a one-off nobody who threatened Giant-Man in his embarrasingly low-rent comic book series- a 30-ft alien from Vega Superior out to see if Earth was primed for conquest. Touching down in Africa, he drew the attention of Hank Pym & The Wasp, who engaged him in battle. Pym was hilariously ineffective as always, as at this point growing to a height near 30 feet was actually EXHAUSTING to him, and so the Colossus kept winning. It took some smarts, and the use of their more variable size-shifting abilities, for the two heroes to convince the would-be conqueror that ALL Earthlings possessed magical powers. Discouraged, the Colossus flew off, warning his superiors to cross Earth OFF the "Potential Targets" list.

-These things just make me laugh- a THIRTY-FOOT TALL HUMANOID from some conqueror-level race of aliens, and he's a one-off who never reappears. There's a race of thirty-foot beings out there and nobody has ever encountered them again. One of the absurdities in dealing with 1960s Marvel, really- everything in their universe was so NEW that they were just tossing stuff at the wall to see if it would fit, and a lot of this never mattered. Never mind that the "Pym" feature was Stan's most half-assed work by a country mile. The whole "Checking to see if we can conquer Earth" plotline (which I swear was used a dozen times) had to eventually disappear by the 1970s, as Earth not only had a superhero population numbering over fifty (here it was MAYBE twenty), but they'd encountered all of the universe's "Top Dogs", in the Shi'ar, Kree & Skrulls. Nobody could reall adequately play off the "send a single scout to check the planet out" thing anymore.
This reminds me of one of my favourite scenes in the ClanDestine book, Adam Destine telling a story to Rory and Pandora (the young twins) about his first experience with aliens. In the 1600's he was travelling across a mountain range towards Japan when he encountered an scouting party of armoured aliens, they attack him with advanced weaponry the likes of which he'd never seen before, for the first time in centuries he actually feared for his life and fought back as hard as he could destroying the aliens tech causing a blast which killed one of attackers. Shocked, the aliens asked him if he ruled the world, he responded by telling them that not only was he not someone important most of those who are deemed him unworthy to be in their presence, the aliens retreated thinking all of humanity were a race indestructible supermen. He saved the planet from an alien invasion pretty much by accident.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (G! Falke! Zeku! Wrecking Ball! Brigitte! Randoms!)

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL- I like how this one-shot doofus Space Giant has inspired more comments than 90% of my Pixar builds or any of the Children of the Vault put together :).
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (G! Falke! Zeku! Wrecking Ball! Brigitte! Randoms!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:43 am LOL- I like how this one-shot doofus Space Giant has inspired more comments than 90% of my Pixar builds or any of the Children of the Vault put together :).
It just amuses me when you get doofy one-shots sharing the names of much more famous characters.
Jabroniville

Sepulchre

Post by Jabroniville »

SEPULCHRE (Jillian Marie Woods, aka Shadowoman)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Grant Miehm
First Appearance: Quasar #45 (April 1993)
Role: Forgotten Character
Group Affiliations: The Shock Troop
PL 10 (151)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Investigation 6 (+7)
Perception 5 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Darkforce) 2 (+9)
Stealth 7 (+10)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Darkforce), Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Powers:
"Darkforce Power"
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
"Phasing" Intangibility 4 [20]

Create Darkforce Objects 11 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Movable) (34) -- [40]
  • Dynamic AE: "Merge With Shadows" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Attack, Ranged) (9)
  • Dynamic AE: Darkforce Snare 11 (Feats: Dynamic) (34)
  • Dynamic AE: Darkforce Blast 11 (Feats: Dynamic) (23)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Darkforce Blast +9 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Darkforce Snare +9 (+11 Ranged Affliction, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Bound to Her Own Shadow)
Relationship (Dr. Druid)- EWWWWWWWWWWWWW...

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 74 / Defenses: 15 (151)

-Sepulchre is a character that's kind of existed on the periphery of my builds for ages- many years ago, I saw her in an issue of Thunderbolts being potentially hunted by Osborn's goons, and had never heard of her. Naturally, I intended to build her. But... she didn't really fit into any given SET, and I was always juggling various projects, so it just never happened. Then, FINALLY, I started doing builds from "The List" right before The Incident that split Ronin Army's forums. However... that meant that Sepulchre was now sitting on the OLD forum, when I wanted to translate builds to the NEW one. And then I just re-checked my builds and discovered that I actually posted her one year BEFORE I thought I did, meaning she's been sitting as the sole Marvel build on the bottom of my "Builds To Do" list for over a YEAR for no reason. Oh well.

-Jillian Woods was a college student who met up with Dr. Druid (the fabled much-hated Avenger), who determined that she was the reincarnation of a male alchemist in King Arthur's court, and Druid was the reincarnation of a princess that he'd loved. The two thus became lovers (EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. She had sex with DOCTOR DRUID? While a COLLEGE STUDENT? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!), but she was killed by a demon while working on a case with him- Druid resurrected her by bonding a piece of her soul to her shadow using some Magic Item thingie. As the awfully-named Shadowoman, she joined Druid's "Shock Troop" alongside the second Blazing Skull and The Living Mummy (of course Mark Gruenwald was writing this story if a character like the LIVING MUMMY shows up), and allied with Quasar (it WAS his book, after all) against some bad guys like Quagmire from the Squadron Supreme's universe.

-When Dr. Strange left The Secret Defenders (the one based around Strange recruiting three random super-heroes for strange missions- essentially Marvel Team-Up but with more guys and worse stories), Dr. Druid took it over, and Shadowoman was on his first team, alongside Luke Cage and Deadpool (!!). She recurred a bit in the book, learning her origin (what was it in Quasar, I wonder?), and furious with Druid, changes her name to "Sepulchre" (a kind of tomb). After this point, Druid turned evil and died, and she vanished from comics.

-Modern times saw her reappear a couple times- once, she helped out Jessica Drew & Julia Carpenter on a mission. Then she fails to get the job as babysitter for Luke Cage & Jessica Jones' kid. Another time, she was witness to a metahuman attack by Norman Osborn's Thunderbolts, and leaves the country on a dirty mission for Roxxon Oil in order to escape them.

-Sepulchre's a bit like other Darkforce Users, but is actually rather powerful (in one Secret Defenders arc, she briefly battles THE SILVER SURFER) and has varied abilities- Concealment & Insubstantial go a very long way to make someone annoying to fight.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Re: Jab’s Builds (Zeku! Wrecking Ball! Brigitte! Colossi! Sepulchre!)

Post by Spectrum »

Was there ever any good reason on why her costume is a color flipped version from SpiderWoman?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:37 am Was there ever any good reason on why her costume is a color flipped version from SpiderWoman?
I was thinking the same thing. That's some lazy costume design. Still kinda cool though
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

At the time she went by ShadoWoman, and my guess is that since Julia Carpenter was the Spider-Woman of the day and Jessica was largely forgotten, they decided to just reuse the suit design.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Shock wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:51 pm
Spectrum wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:37 am Was there ever any good reason on why her costume is a color flipped version from SpiderWoman?
I was thinking the same thing. That's some lazy costume design. Still kinda cool though
Since they are both from San Francisco, I guess Jillian's costume might have been one of Jessica's discarded ones.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I knew of the 2 Colossus characters ( as well as the fact that Marvel had a tendency right from the beginning of reusing names, characters with minor changes, etc). but had not seen them in forever.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I think that Jab did the 'other' NightCrawler already, a real no name.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:26 pm I think that Jab did the 'other' NightCrawler already, a real no name.
Yes, and let us add Psyklops to that list.
Jabroniville

Maximus Lobo

Post by Jabroniville »

MAXIMUS LOBO
Created By:
Chuck Austen & Kia Asamiya
First Appearance: Uncanny X-Men #417 (March 2003)
Role: Evil Werewolf
Group Affiliations: Dominant Species
PL 9 (155)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 3/8 AGILITY 3/5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6/+11)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Business) 7 (+11)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+10)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 5 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+9)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Wealth), Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Werewolf By Night"
Enhanced Strength 6 [12]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]
Enhanced Agility 2 [4]
Enhanced Advantages 4: All-Out Attack, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Trip [4]

"Animal Senses" Senses 8 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing, Infra & Ultravision) [8]
"Detect Mental State" Mind-Reading 4 (Flaws: Limited to Emotions, Limited to Surface Emotions) [2]
"Detect Physical State" Senses 2 (Detect Injuries/Health Problems, Acute) [2]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Nigh-Unkillable" Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Werewolf +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3 (+5 Werewolf)

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+8 Werewolf), Fortitude +4 (+8 Werewolf), Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power, Greed)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 9 (155)

-Oh Geez- I must have forgotten about this guy a thousand times. Every time I see a Marvel guy named "Lobo" something, I wonder if it's this guy I remember from Chuck Austen's run on Exiles. But then I find out it's another guy, and I forget about him again. Only about 1/10th as stupid as every other idea Chuck Austen has ever attempted, THIS Lobo is from a group of mutants that all have Wolf-Morphing powers, which he considers a different species. Given the sheer number of "Animalistic Mutants", he might almost have a point. This is during Austen's love affair with Warren Worthington, so Lobo runs a division of Angel's company. Lobo then immediately beat the "Worf Effect"-suffering Wolverine in a scrap to establish himself. Trying to sell his products to Stark Enterprises illegally, he is foiled, but escapes.

-Later, he and his Dominant Species group of werewolves arrive to face the Exiles and the X-Men during a crossover between the two books. Here, Clayton Henry's great, cartoony art made them actually look very cool, and Lobo controlled the young X-Student Wolf Cub into maiming Alex Summers. The story kind of went off the rails, with Alex being taken over by an evil counterpart from another dimension and Nocturne leaving the Exiles to join the mainstream Marvel Earth, while the Exiles recruited Beak, who would later become a big part of the series. Ultimately, Maximus went nowhere once Austen was drummed out of Marvel, said to have lost his powers on M-Day- he was apparently "confronted" by Wolf Cub following the events of Messiah Complex, so he might have died off-panel.

-Maximus got the "I Beat Wolverine" push immediately, and could easily be considered PL 10, but as a short-lived menace with horribly generic powers, I'm calling him a particularly smart PL 9, using Jack "Werewolf By Night" Russel's statline as a basis. He boasted that his bones had "evolved" to be naturally harder than adamantium, which is SO MUCH CRAP that I refuse to even stat it. Dude gets Regeneration and that's it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Chuck Austen is like he writing equivalent of Rob Liefeld. Only I then remember that Rob actually thought he could write as well.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:46 pm Chuck Austen is like he writing equivalent of Rob Liefeld. Only I then remember that Rob actually thought he could write as well.
That's okay, I've seen comics where Chuck Austen was the nominal penciller.

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.