Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Sailor Neptune

Post by Jabroniville »

SAILOR NEPTUNE (Michiru Kaioh)
Dub Name:
Michelle
Role: The Ultra-Feminine One, The Ideal Princess, The Boring One
Main Fuku Colour: Dark Blue & Turquoise
Elemental Alignment: Water
Hair Colour: Turquoise
PL 10 (160)
STRENGTH
2/3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6, +8)
Athletics 4 (+6, +8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+11)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Music) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Art) 6 (+10)
Insight 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Neptune Attacks) 3 (+10)
Vehicles 1 (+4)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Wealth), Diehard, Equipment (Communicator), Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Takedown, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]

"Deep Submerge!" Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) [22]
"Bad Dreams & Visions" Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [2]
Senses 1 (Dark Energy Detection) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Unarmed Senshi +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Deep Submerge +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications (Early):
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Kaioh Michiru, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are forced to fight evil.
Responsibility (Schooling)
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Enemy (The Death Busters)
Relationship (Haruka)- Michiru and Haruka are deeply in love with each other, sharing their innermost feelings without any shame or hesitation. "I want to be the girl who rides with you by the sea".
Responsibility (Being Her Best)- Michiru excels at nearly everything as a matter of course. She is calmly, but relentlessly competitive.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 18 (160)

Sailor Neptune- The Ideal Japanese Woman:
-Sailor Neptune is an odd one in the show- she's so unlike Naoko Takeuchi that the manga's writer admits she was way too hard to write, and that left her as the most bland character of the Sailors. The anime writers had more luck, essentially contrasting her femininity with Uranus's far more masculine appearance and outlook. In the show, we see that Michiru Kaioh is more or less "The Perfect Japanese Woman"- beautiful, calm, serene, friendly but reserved, great at art and the violin, and utterly, inhumanly graceful. She represents the ideals of their culture so much that Usagi is practically infatuated, and ashamed of herself for being so clutzy and incapable by contrast ("I'm not worthy to be your BRIDE!" Usagi cries to Mamoru). An iconic scene from Sailor Moon S (ie. it showed up in a lot of gifs on "Sailor Neptune Shrines" back in the '90s) showed Michiru catching a tossed lemon with the neck of her violin, then BOUNCING IT UP AND DOWN with the end of the violin while she continued to flawlessly play it!

-Michiru was great when with Haruka- Haruka flirted with other girls, but Michiru completely no-sold it, joking about "flirting with young girls" and stuff like that- teasing Haruka instead of getting jealous. And while both girls were insistent on being cold and practical when it came to hunting for the Talismans, she would be much kinder about it, pitying the poor souls that could be lost, and chiding Uranus for being too cruel about it. At several points, a particularly kind-hearted person would be victimized, and Neptune, whose life revolved around finding the Talismans, would actually be JOYFUL that the person would not be a Talisman-Carrier, even though that would shorten their mission. Haruka would be shocked by this, but Neptune would just smile and say "I'm glad".

-Neptune was pretty neat in an episode with Ami- both girls were champion swimmers, but Ami's introversion made her not want to hurt Michiru's feelings by winning, so she held back. But Michiru, who focuses on personal excellence, was OFFENDED by Ami holding back, and demanded to know why- this shamed Ami, who ran off. Even Haruka pointed out that was a bit too harsh.

Neptune- Too Perfect:
-Neptune, ultimately, was not that popular with fans- too much of her gimmick (Smart, Water-Themed Girl) was taken by Sailor Mercury, and she was TOO perfect- though her teasing of Uranus was always cute and humorous, her unflappable nature and general lack of flaws beyond "turns out to be wrong to be so cynical" made her a much blander character than most of the girls in the show.

-Sailor Neptune is a PL 10 character, unlike the Inner Sailors- her accuracy and comparative power are greater (it's stated IN-SERIES that "We have been granted much greater powers than the rest of you!"), but she still suffers from the usual Sailor Stuff- weakness against Snares, being rather physically "soft", etc. She can be solo'd by Daimons fairly easily (most Daimons, while weak defensively, are PL 10 on offense, while Sailors are usually well below that), and both she and Uranus are easily dealt with by the show's major villains like Kaolinite, Eudial and Mistress 9.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sailors Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Mercury & Moon!)

Post by Batgirl III »

The yamato nadeshiko archetype is a tricky one to write for... So much of what storytellers learn about writing is that intra-cast personality conflicts and individual character flaws are basically the source of all interesting stories. Yeah, you need an external threat or problem to create the situation that keeps the cast together, but it’s watching them react and interact that makes the story compelling. Yamato nadeshiko are kind of defined by not having any interpersonal conflicts, not having any personal flaws, and so forth.

The closest archetype we have to it in the West would be the “English Rose,” but ever since Jane Austen came along, we’ve been prone to making our English Roses as either haughty ice-princesses, weak-willed wallflowers, or too-naive-to-be-true. The three Crowley sisters of Downtom Abbey are good examples.

The Japanese tend to still play the yamato nadeshiko very straight, you don’t see many subversive takes on it and very rarely is it even parodied. Kasumi Tendo of Ranma 1/2 is about the only popular version of the archetype that comes close to a parody of the role... and that’s only really accomplished by giving her a laconic sense of snark, for like, the first three volumes. After that she fades into the background and is a totally straight example of the archetype.

(And no, being in a lesbian relationship isn’t a subversion of the role. The Japanese care way more about the feminity in their idealized wife/mother/homemaker than in her heterosexuality. Hell, to some degree, the very traditional might prefer she be a lesbian so as to retain her virginity.) (Yes, I know that’s not how that works. We’re dealing with a traditional literary archetype that predates Chaucher.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Haha, I was literally reading your first paragraph going, "I'm going to mention Kasumi Tendo as a great counterpoint to this", and then you went and did it :). She was really fun early on, but then the show settled into a "Nothing Ever Changes" motif and never quite got out of it. But I've only really seen the first season and a bit of the second. Her "Nice Girl" persona made her a great "Straight Man" to the rest of the cast of lunatics, though- Team Mom, Caretaker, Sweet Girl, etc. Even if the poor doctor who had a crush on her got "Takahachi Character Death Syndrome" (the Japanese term for "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome") in the manga.

Belldandy from Ah! My Goddess! is probably the straightest example of the Yamato Nadeshiko being done particularly well. And again, it's by surrounding her with complete lunatics, then ramping up the "Ideal Fantasy Girlfriend" nature of the character through her relationship with the Everyman main character.

But... it's a tough role to play in the Sailor Moon universe, and even Takeuchi confesses she really couldn't handle it ("Usagi is the most like me... Michiru is the least"). As one of the Main Five, it would probably play better, but the same role was done better by two more well-rounded characters in Ami (who had the kindness, but was more of an obsessive hard worker) and Rei (who, in the manga, was more stoic, aloof and graceful). So Michiru kind of just comes off as a more exaggerated version of THEM.

For the most part, though, anime & manga writers have more fun with the more mercurial characters- Akane Tendo, Rei Hino (who the director of Sailor Moon has confessed he just made her into his ideal woman), Usagi Tsukino and more. And anime fans tend to latch onto those... which is part of their trouble when they head to Japan, and find WAY MORE WOMEN acting the Yamato Nadeshiko and being very aloof and distant, or the "Immature Kid" behavior that's still quite acceptable in young adults. You should read the blogs of this "Disappointed Japanophiles", going to Japan and expecting everyone to act like Anime Tropes are real life behavior :).
Jabroniville

Sailor Uranus

Post by Jabroniville »

I am SUPER-attracted to butch lesbians. It's very annoying. Might as well be attracted to Giantesses or Centaurs for all the good it does me.

SAILOR URANUS (Haruka Tenoh)
Dub Name:
Amara
Role: The Masculine One, The Tough One, Cool Chick
Main Fuku Colour: Dark Blue & Yellow
Elemental Alignment: Earth
Hair Colour: Dirty Blonde
PL 10 (192)
STRENGTH
3/4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6, +8)
Athletics 8 (+11, +12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13)
Deception 3 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Expertise (Music) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Uranus Attacks) 3 (+10)
Vehicles 10 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Attractive (To Girls), Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Equipment 4 (Communicator, Inexplicable Helicopter), Extraordinary Effort, Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Takedown, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"World Shaking!" Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) Linked to Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) [42]
Senses 1 (Dark Energy Detection) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Unarmed Senshi +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
World Shaking +10 (+10 Ranged Damage & Affliction, DC 25 & 20)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications (Early):
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Tenoh Haruka, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Schooling)
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Relationship (Michiru)- Michiru and Haruka are deeply in love with each other, sharing their innermost feelings without any shame or hesitation. "I love your hands".

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 31 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 16 (192)

Sailor Uranus- The Tough One:
-Sailor Uranus is a LOT more famous than Sailor Neptune, going right down to her introduction- Neptune is more or less glossed over, while this "Haruka" boy is treated like the most handsome creature on Earth. Even USAGI is transfixed! Minako is basically in love with "him", following him around and desperately trying to impress him, while the other girls just ogle. And of course, by episode's end, we have the reveal that Haruka is anime's most famous example of the "Bifauxnen"- a "Pretty Boy" who is actually a very tall, masculine GIRL.

-Haruka passes off the mistake as "I never actually said I was a boy..."- she simply wears male clothing 90% of the time, wears her hair short, and eschews make-up. All the race-car driving, flirting with cute young girls, etc.- it's all stuff Haruka just DOES. The manga even makes it clear "she's both male and female", in the way a 1990 story would mention somebody who was one sex, but played at being another. Regardless of that, she and Michiru were pretty clearly "together", though they enjoyed teasing each other when Haruka flirted with "Bun-Head" or other girls.

-In a famous episode, Makoto kept up the "infatuation" thing, but admitted in the end that she was just transfixed by Hotaru's "Coolness", as Mako herself struggled with the masculine/feminine thing, being such a tall, tough girl and all. Haruka's casual acceptance of it (she's taller AND tougher than Mako) made her seem like an idol, though to most, it just looked like Makoto was falling for Haruka.

Uranus The Cynic:
-As Sailor Uranus (pronounced "YERR-ah-nuss", to avoid the gags that have been plaguing the character since before we ever received a dub!), Haruka was deeply cynical and pragmatic. Though this was also Neptune's forte, Uranus went MUCH further, even scolding her partner for being thankful when someone they knew was revealed to not be carrying a Talisman, since this extended their mission. Michiru was always more despondent over the fact that innocents would have to die to unleash the Talismans, and even asked Haruka repeatedly when it turned out that USAGI must have been a carrier. In a great bit of characterization, Michiru would go "must we really do this?", while Haruka, clearly agonizing over the decision, said things like how Usagi "MUST be sacrificed!"- it was practical, and the only then they knew they COULD do, but you could see how much it hurt.

-This cynical attitude rubbed the other Sailors the wrong way, however- Mako, as Sailor Jupiter, got REALLY pissed off at their abandoning the heroes whenever they figured a Talisman wasn't there, and actually ATTACKED. Uranus casually punched her in the gut and dropped her, but got a cut herself, correcting Neptune's chiding of her for "not holding back", pointing out that "She's... strong...".

-It would only get MORE pronounced later on, too... even AFTER it was revealed that the Talisman holders wouldn't die, and they were incorrect all along. When it turned out that innocent little Hotaru Tomoe was the Dark Messiah of Silence that would end the world, Uranus & Neptune suggested she be killed. Even INSISTED on it. And when Hotaru and ALL the Inner Sailors were trapped within the Death Busters' mansion, which was rapidly being sucked into another dimension, it was Uranus who suggested that "maybe it would be better if they never got out at all". Neptune was MORTIFIED at that dark thought, but then makes fun of Uranus for smiling when everyone returns alive. "You have more faith in Sailor Moon than a lot of people", she teases.

Uranus The... Hottie?:
-It's the damndest thing. For my entire life until a couple of years ago, I would have said that Uranus is one of the least-attractive Sailors. Too boyish, too bitchy, too mean. But then I took another look and... girl's got it going on. Tall and athletic; fit and strong. The "boyish" haircut actually has a really good wind-swept look. I've seen some fanart where she looks REALLY good, and some of the shots in the series look great, too.

Sailor Uranus's Powers:
-Sailor Uranus is probably the mightiest of any Sailor but Usagi herself, being a great physical fighter (enough to easily defeat Sailor Jupiter in melee), as well as packing a nasty Blast, which doubles as an Affliction (opponents are often "shaken", wobbling around all distorted on impact). It can also blast stuff out of people's hands, doing that to Kaolinite & Eudial- both times knocking Heart Crystals (which must be fairly durable) out of their grip. She excels at driving and grappling, and has skill with the piano. Also, she has a helicopter.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I am SUPER-attracted to butch lesbians. It's very annoying. Might as well be attracted to Giantesses or Centaurs for all the good it does me.
The solution is simple, Jab, just do what I did and marry yourself one! :D
Jabroniville

Sailor Pluto

Post by Jabroniville »

SAILOR PLUTO (Setsunah Meioh)
Dub Name:
Trista
Role: The Mysterious One, The Unemotive One
Main Fuku Colour: Dark Maroon & Dark Green
Elemental Alignment: Time
Hair Colour: Dark Green
PL 10 (157)
STRENGTH
2/3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+5, +7)
Athletics 6 (+8, +9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Deception 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Pluto Attacks) 3 (+10)
Technology 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Diehard, Equipment 1 (Communicator), Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Garnet Rod" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [39]
"Stop Time" Speed 8 (Extras: Affects Others, 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Fades) Linked to Quickness 10 (Extras: Affects Others, 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Fades) Linked to Enhanced Advantages 3: Evasion 2, Move-By Action (Extras: Affects Others, 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Fades) (63) -- (64 points)
  • AE: "Dead Scream!" Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (22)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Unarmed Senshi +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Dead Scream +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +9

Complications (Early):
Normal Identity (Meioh Setsunah, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Time)- Sailor Pluto guards the timestream, and is expressively forbidden from using her ultimate power- Freezing Time. So of course she does it.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 18 (157)

Sailor Pluto- The Boring One:
-Sailor Pluto is a real curiosity in the series- she debuts with almost zero fanfare at all, and isn't even shown FIGHTING at first. She's just the voice in Chibi-Usa's "Luna-P" floating helper during most of Sailor Moon R, and only reveals herself near the end. And all she does is help the other Sailors through the timestream, with Luna & Artemis pulling their classic "Oh, I think I remember hearing about her..." schtick. She's most distinctive for her appearance- an "off-brand" look for a Sailor, as she carries a key-ring around her waist and packs a giant staff with a Heart & Jewel atop it. And for the fact that she's as tall as most of the MALE characters, and resembles an adult woman with very dark skin by this show's standards.

-When Sailor Moon S rolled around, and were were introduced to the REST of the Sailors of the Solar System, it was inevitable that we'd get more of this mysterious new character. And of course she would reveal that THIS TIME she was joining the fight. Except... they still didn't really give her much to do. She shows up to reveal the secret of the Talismans (of course, despite being a TIME TRAVELLER, she appears right after everyone nearly dies, at the last second), tells everyone that SHE has the third (meaning the villains could have never found it), and that forms the Holy Grail.

-However, after this she kind of just sinks into the background. Though Chibi-Usa is delighted to have her friend back, Pluto (calling herself "Setsunah", as a probable fake name) announces that she can't hang out with the other Sailors, and must stand apart, because reasons. It's shown later that she's an "old acquaintance" of Uranus & Neptune, and shares their mission- Stop The Silence, No Matter What. And at one point, she joins the other two in throwing out a COMBINED ATTACK on innocent lil' Hotaru Tomoe, which would have slaughtered her if Sailor Moon hadn't jumped in.

-Possibly the weirdest damn thing is that she never gets an Episode Of Focus. Never a link to her past. Never a shot of her in Crystal Tokyo. Never her just spending a day doing stuff. The ONE EPISODE that spends a significant amount of time on her shows her in civilian form, researching Tellu's "Tellu Flowers", and joining the Usagis in their mission... but she gets wiped out immediately (taking a shot for Chibi-Usa). Like, the focus of the episode is actually on Tellu, then Chibi-Usa, THEN Pluto. It's really weird.

-Pluto finally does her "Forbidden Technique" in the final stages of Sailor Moon S- with Mistress 9 finally awakened and the Silence underway, she freezes time (!!) in order to rescue Uranus & Neptune from their exploding helicopter. It was a GREAT-looking piece of animation work, as the girls make their way out of a slowly-exploding 'copter and escape. Alas, this means that Pluto is now... banished, I guess? She speaks to the two, and later Chibi-Usa, indicating she's still alive.

-Pluto returns in Sailor Stars (the Outers are briefly in Sailor Moon SuperS in the manga, however) with a baby Hotaru, but matters little to the plot once more. She's killed, but later revived by Sailor Moon.

-Ultimately... I think Pluto was created more because Takeuchi was trying something, and she never bothered to give her a major character point or any of that. Her stoic, mature personality made her responsible, but a trifle dull, especially in a cast full of so many nutjobs. Fans like to joke that she's literally a robot or a zombie, as she almost never shows any emotion aside from "Careful responsibility". The only real showcasing of personality is when she's dealing with Chibi-Usa, but even then she's more just a "smiling caretaker". The manga added a thing about her being in love with Endymion (Mamoru) in the future, but even that isn't focused on. Takeuchi confessed that Pluto was difficult to draw- the Garnet Rod was very elaborate, and the black & white inking process involved a lot of different inks for her black costume and darker skin tone.

-Sailor Pluto is another PL 10 fighter, but way below Sailor Uranus defensively. Her "Time Stop" power is really better-utilized as a "Speed Up" power, as freezing time is impossible in M&M stats without some kind of Universal-Level Affliction. I mean, the end result is the same. She's capable with computers, as she finds a Tellu Flower and is able to diagnose it's exact properties.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Tuxedo Mask! Sailors Uranus & Neptune! Sailor Pluto!)

Post by Davies »

In terms of what she can meaningfully accomplish, she's probably PL10. In terms of absolutes, she's basically a one-shot PL X, and yes, I know you don't go there. The way I understand what happens to her in the series is that the events of S are the endpoint of her personal timeline, and that her appearances later in the series are from earlier in that personal timeline. However, given that reincarnation is a fact in the Sailor Moon universe ...
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:04 am
Where does one go to meet centaurs or giantesses?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:23 pm
Tumblr.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:52 pm
Ken wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Tumblr.
YOU LIED TO ME, BATGIRL!!! I WENT CHECKING AND YOU LIED!!!
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:55 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 pm I patiently await Kaiju.
LET ME TASTE YOUR TEARS, JACK!! *licks tear off of Jack's face* "mmmm- the tears of unfathomable sadness- YUMMY!!

you on the other hand are weird.

I swear you Sailor Moon fans just make no sense to me

*goes back to watching the Starlight Angel segment from Robot Carnival like a real man*
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

There’s actually a “community” of Centaur Otherkin on Tumblr. It’s small, it’s insular, and it’s delusional... But it’s there.

I have enough weird crap in my browser history and google cache that I won’t risk a search string that has “giantess” in it. You’re on you own.
Jabroniville

Sailor Chibi-Moon

Post by Jabroniville »

SAILOR CHIBI-MOON (Usagi Tsukino II, aka Chibi-Usa)
Dub Name:
Reenie/Sailor Mini-Moon
Role: The Annoying Kid
Main Fuku Colour: Pink
Elemental Alignment: Love
Hair Colour: Bright Pink
PL 7 (56)
STRENGTH
-2/-1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+4, +5)
Deception 5 (+7)
Perception 3 (+2)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Chibi-Moon Attacks) 3 (+7)

Advantages: 
Equipment 1 (Communicator), Minion 4 (Luna-P), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Chibi-Moon Stick" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [8]
"Pink Sugar Heart Attack!" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Ranged) (Reduced Defenses 2, Diminished Range -2) (12 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Unarmed Senshi +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Pink Sugar Heart Attack +7 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +6

Complications (Early):
Normal Identity (Chibi-Usa, Without Power Stick)
Relationship (Sailor Pluto)- Chibi-Usa loves her friend "Puu", and is closer to her than she is with other adults.
Relationship (Mamor)- Chibi-Usa appeared to have a super-weird crush on her future-father.
Relationship (Usagi)- The two argue constantly, even though Usagi is actually her mother in the future. They squabble like two small children (which, to be fair, Chibi-Usa IS).
Relationship (The Sailors)- Chibi-Usa likes the other Sailors- she considers Ami to be the most rational and mature one (she is). She finds Rei to be a kindred spirit against Usagi's stupidity- however, Rei frequently chides Chibi-Usa for disrespecting someone who tries so hard.

Total: Abilities: 4 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 17 (56)

Chibi-Usa- The Base-Breaking Character:
-Chibi-Usa... I have some varying opinions about this one. Like most fans, I generally see her as the start of the "downward slide", the "Jump the Shark" moment, if you will, of this series, as her whiny antics, obvious "this is for the little kids to enjoy" mentality (OK, so the show is FOR little kids, but it shouldn't come at the EXPENSE of the older characters, y'know!), manipulation of the other characters for her own ends, etc., were just a massive bring-down. The fact that Sailor Moon SuperS was basically the "Sailor Chibi-Moon Show" once she got ACTUAL POWERS didn't help matters. In Sailor Moon R, she immediately debuts with a lot of adversarial qualities, pulling a GUN on Usagi, and getting between her and Mamoru. And soon she brainwashes the Tsukinos into accepting her as a member of the family, tries to steal Usagi's Silver Crystal, and manhandles Mamo while he & Usagi are on a break.

-Called "Rini" in the Original Dub for being a mini-Serena, her original name is "Chibi-Usa", as she shares the heroine's name, but is smaller ("Chibi" in Japanese), hence takes a different name. The name really kind of bothers me, because that does NOT roll off the tongue in English- in Japanese, it's more like "Cheeb-YOUSA!", but in English, comes out "Chee-Bee-OOSE-ah!". This is one of those moments where they can get away with "Mini-usa" or something (it's not like they call their savior "Tuxedo Kamen", after all).

-Her childishness and arguing with Usagi is a source of a lot of the humor, and DOES get pretty clever (Chibi-Usa attacks Usagi in the tub while searching for the Silver Crystal; later she pisses on Usagi's bed by accident). Even the fact that her later appearances were done by super-cute Canadian voice actress Stephanie Beard, aka Sugar Baybee (who was remarkably hot for someone with the voice of a seven-year old) didn't help. Beard was a bit funny, as she was the ultra-cute host of YTV's The Zone programming block for a number of years, but then quit to become an actress in the States. And she vanished for years (save for one tiny commercial spot, only saying the word "Wicked!"), until all of a sudden popping up in a few things, like Garfunkel and Oats and showing the lion's share of the nudity in that ____ and ____ Need Wedding Dates movie.

-But really, she was quite annoying. The show became increasingly focused on her, the other Sailors didn't get as many focus episodes, and she continued to act like a selfish brat with poor judgement, at one point getting the Sailors captured because she ran off on her own. The villains spent most of the show trying to kill her, but then switched gears when her inner power (when frightened, she set off massive Energy Cylinders into the sky) revealed itself, and they aged her up into the "Black Lady" after giving her the world's lamest bout of brainwashing (they simply removed the memory of a Surprise Party, making her parents look like douches who ignored her birthday). The Sailor Moon equivalent of the "Care Bear Stare" is all it takes to bring her back to normal.

-Chibi-Usa soon reveals why she's been searching for the Legendary Silver Crystal- thinking it could save her mother, she went to grab it... and it disappeared. But it turns out the thing had been inside her all along, and when the Death Phantom nearly overtakes Princess Serenity... Chibi-Usa reveals her OWN Flowing Dress Super-Form, and the two Silver Crystals combined to extinguish the Death Phantom forever. With the day saved, Chibi-Usa begins to return home using her Time Travel Key, and finally comes to terms with modern-day Usagi, acknowledging her as her mother, and sharing a tearful goodbye. Not a bad ending, all in all. But it doesn't make up for "The Chibi-Usa Show" Sailor Moon became.

Sailor Moon S Notes:

-We really only got twelve episodes into the show before Chibi-Usa made her return, leaving Sailors Moon & Mars aghast upon seeing her, IN SAILOR FUKU, using Sailor Statements and more. The insane reason we get is that her mother (Sailor Moon in the future, remember) sends her back to regular Tokyo to get "training", which is pretty insane. The REAL reason, of course, is that the little girls reading the manga & watching the TV show were probably IN LOVE with the idea of someone their age engaging with these cool older girls (a similar reason was behind the creation of Robin in the Batman comics), and so she got riveted back on. Because really, what responsible parent would send their child back to face THE SILENCE? Of course... I guess she knew how that was gonna turn out, because... Time Travel.

-In any case, Chibi-Usa is now a SAILOR SENSHI, but thankfully, the show actually points out how stupid and useless she is. Like, she engages in the "Sailor Spiel" before battle, and the villain actually INTERRUPTS her, which has never happened to another character! And when she engages her "Pink Sugar Heart Attack!" technique... it fizzles out and does nothing! And when it DOES work, its range is so pathetic she literally has to WALK IT into the enemy! Little things like this went a long way to make this stupid idea into something funny and amusing. The character is never anything more than a distraction in combat (Daimons go "OW OW OW OW OW!" when the little hearts fire into their faces or asses or whatever), and her importance to the plot comes from an entirely different source.

-Yes, it's Chibi-Usa who discovers poor, innocent little Hotaru Tomoe. Hotaru is sickly and pale, and doesn't have any real friends, but of COURSE Usagi's daughter would have that special quality that sees lonely people for what they are, and befriends her. Hotaru is delighted to the point of tears to find someone who doesn't think they're weird. And it's Chibi-Usa who humanizes Hotaru, defends her against anyone picking on her, and more (she'd met a few friends earlier, but they're "Show-Only" characters who are soon "Urawa'd" into dis-use). And then it's Chibi-Usa's heart that is sacrificed to allow Hotaru to turn into the goddamn Messiah of Silence- Mistress! And this puts her out of commission for the remainder of the fights, so that this goofy little character can't detract from the seriousness of the situation.

-Honestly, full points for her use, here. They took what could have and SHOULD HAVE been the "RUINED FOREVER!" moment of the series, and actually got a hell of a lot of mileage out of both the jokes and the character use. I mean, imagine if Avatar: The Last Airbender had suddenly included a small child into the main cast and had her constantly pester the main charater and be annoying. It would have killed the show DEAD. But in Sailor Moon S, she was a lot less bratty than in the previous season (her arguments with Usagi are never as severe, for example, and she no longer gobbles up all of Mamoru's time), never overwhelmed the battles, and actually ADDS THINGS to the show, in her relationship with Hotaru.

Sailor Chibi-Moon's Powers:
-Chibi-Usa is a pretty hopeless fighter- PL 4 defensively, and PL 6.5 with a weapon that can't even do anything more than annoy the foe. But it's effective enough as a "Set-Up" device that it's actually somewhat useful, even while the show makes it a gag. More than once, the villain is distracted enough by it to be killed.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 16, 2018 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

hunh. so that was her bush.

small world.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

She’s also got a major recurring role (no spoilers) on the current season of The Flash... Helium voice and all.