Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Cinder! Glacius! Maya! Mira! Turk! Chief Thunder!)

Post by Jabroniville »

drkrash wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:52 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:12 pm
drkrash wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:55 am I don't know much about the KI characters, so I'm just learnin', here.
Damn, and here I usually defer to you as the expert on fighters. How’d you miss this one? Were you only into Sega at the time?
You missed the part a few pages ago when I said I needed to buy the modern version of this game for a friend just so I could play it at his house (which I did - for all of a couple hours). I've always been a Sony person, and my laptop can't run it.

Otherwise, my knowledge of this game only goes back to the original SNES version.

That being said, I know you said that the story sucks, but for me, I'm actually head-canon-ing some fun stuff that could make this pretty campaign-worthy.
Oh right, duh. I remembered your bit about the new game, but forgot your notes on the early ones.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jago is kinda derirative, but still one of the cooler "Ryu" types, and remains visually distinct from Ryu because of his ninja/warrior monk look, and his sword. It's pretty hlilarious how similar the name of his fireball is to Hadouken, though - He even copied Ryu's "Red Fireball" thing in KI2!
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

KIs to me something that fits nicely into a SF game if I ever run one, since it has everything you can add to a SF game via the SF ROG rules, cyborgs Dinos, a werewolf, a skeleton, and ninjas and super spies. Along with an evil coporation seeking world power. :)
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Killer Instinct is something I remember seeing as an arcade game, but I had no experience with the console variants, and I never got into the reboot, so I only ever played the first one and even that not so much so. I remember at the time feeling like it felt a bit like the Clayfighter games in that it was neither pretty hand-animation nor photorealism nor smooth polygonal graphics, but rather somewhat unrealistic plasticky hand-animation. I'm probably being a bit unjust in my characterization of it, but at the time, it just didn't impress me. It felt more like I was playing with action figures in the sandbox than guiding a living character.
Jabroniville

Eagle

Post by Jabroniville »

EAGLE (Tipyeléhne)
Role:
Stereotypical Native American, Archer
Games: Killer Instinct (2013)
PL 9 (158)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+11)
Athletics 10 (+13)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Espionage) 5 (+8)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Arrows) 2 (+12)
Stealth 4 (+9)

Advantages:
Improved Critical 2 (Arrows), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Minion 6 (Weyekin Bird), Ranged Attack 6, Tracking

Killer Instinct Fighting Style:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Special Moves" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) [1]
"No Mercy!" Features 1: May Use a Unique Move as a Finishing Move [1]

"ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAA COMBO!!!!!" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Multiattack 8) (Inaccurate -2) (9) -- [11]
  • AE: "Bird Divebomb" Blast 4 (Flaws: Source- Weyekin Bird) (4)
  • AE: "Sonic Screech" Deflect 12 & Enhanced Ranged Attack 2 (Flaws: Source- Weyekin Bird) (8)
"Eagle's Super-Bow" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
"Arrow Shots" Blast 4 (Feats: Indirect- From Above) (9 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Special Moves +12 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Ultra Combo +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Arrow +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Sonic-Enhanced Arrow +14 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (UltraTech)- UltraTech captured Eagle and turned him into the cyborg Fulgore- he was cured by Glacius, and now fights them.
Relationship (Chief Thunder)- Eagle's older brother is the chief of their tribe.
Power Loss (Arrows)- Eagle can run out of arrows- either he or his bird will have to pick them up. Power Attacks cost more arrows.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 20 + 7 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 13 (158)

-A new character in Killer Instinct (2013), Eagle is the long-lost brother of Chief Thunder, mentioned (and said to be dead) way back in 1994- rumors exist that he was supposed to be Spinal. The winner of the last Killer Instinct tournament, Eagle was kidnapped by UltraTech (against whom he'd been publicly speaking about) and used as the basis for the cybernetic Fulgore, but the 2017 update to the game reveals that the alien Glacius had freed him (only his brain was used as the template for the Fulgores)- Eagle is thus a playable DLC character. He fights using a futuristic bow and whip, with robotic birds of prey following him around.

-Eagle is much lighter than the brawny Thunder, and has a way different fighting style, based around a pack of arrows that he fires from his bow. He can run out of them, so he and his bird must fetch them. Speaking of the bird... this Killer Instinct more or less throws Samurai Shodown mechanics into things, making this ally "Weyekin Bird" an assister that divebombs the opponent, and even creates a "Sonic Screech" that allows him to deflect incoming projectiles AND speed up his arrows!! This makes him the only character in the game with a PL 9 Blast.

WEYEKIN BIRD
Role:
Animal Sidekick
PL 5 (87)- Minion Rank 6
STRENGTH
-3 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+10)
Athletics 6 (+3)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+6)
Perception 10 (+10)

Advantages:
Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Extended, Ultra & Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Talons & Beak" Strength-Damage +4 [4]

Flight 8 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [8]

"Tiny Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (1 foot) [17]
(-2 Strength, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation, -1 Speed)

Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 2 [2]
"Magnetic Arrow Fetching" Move Object 2 (Flaws: Limited to Metals, Limited to Towards Himself) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Natural Weapons +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness -1, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Birds cannot speak to humans, nor use their talons to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 65 / Defenses: 12 (87)
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I think the inclusion of Eagle as a playable character was a great idea, since the plot thread had been hanging around since the original game, and a good way to close out the game's roster (since he was the final post-Season 3 character added, and seemingly the last one, since the game isn't getting any big updates anymore as far as I know) Plus they were able to confirm the story element that he'd been used to make Fulgore. So what are the odds of either of the brothers beating the piss out of Nightwolf?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

It’s weird to think about the sheer length of time these games are updated for. I last did Killer Instinct builds FIVE YEARS AGO, and the newest hand was actually out then! And they only RECENTLY finished making all the new guys!

It seems like the new standard is “build an unfinished game, then make people buy/download new stuff”, in a process that takes literally years to complete. A far cry from the old days of the 1990s, which saw new SF, MK and VF games each year st the peak of the genre.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:33 am It’s weird to think about the sheer length of time these games are updated for. I last did Killer Instinct builds FIVE YEARS AGO, and the newest hand was actually out then! And they only RECENTLY finished making all the new guys!

It seems like the new standard is “build an unfinished game, then make people buy/download new stuff”, in a process that takes literally years to complete. A far cry from the old days of the 1990s, which saw new SF, MK and VF games each year st the peak of the genre.
Yeah, I actualyl didn't buy the game until the definitive version with all the content came out on Steam a couple years ago.
Jabroniville

Fulgore

Post by Jabroniville »

FULGORE (Fulgore Mark I-III)
Role:
Killer Cyborg
Games: Killer Instinct I-II, KI (2013)
PL 9 (142)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+14)
Intimidation 7 (+7)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit (Uses Attack to Feint Instead of Deception), Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Special Moves), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Initiative 2, Ranged Attack 9

Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Cyborg" Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]

"Reflector Shield" Deflect 10 (Extras: Reflection) (Flaws: Limited to Energy Attacks) (10) -- [14]
  • AE: "Energy Bolt" Blast 4 (Diminished Range -1) (7)
  • AE: "ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAA COMBO!!!!!" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Multiattack 7) (Inaccurate -2) (8)
  • AE: Teleport 4 (Feats: Change Direction) (9)
  • AE: "Cyber Uppercut" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Special Moves +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Ultra Combo +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +13

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Proving Himself)- Fulgore is the first in a line of UltraTech's cybersoldiers- the Killer Instinct Tournament is a testing ground. Should he perform well, mass production will begin.
Responsibility (The Spirit of Eagle)- The spirit of Eagle, upon whose genetics the Fulgore units were based, sometimes overrides Fulgore models, causing them to think, feel, plan, and even show mercy. For example, it consistently spares the life of Orchid, in spite of its programming.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 17 + 7 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 13 (142)

-Fulgore is your everyday Killer Cyborg, seemingly without a soul of his own. Constructed of human parts (it's implied there's a dark secret there) and metal, Fulgore is an automoton out there to prove it can hang with other high-end fighters- if successful, Fulgore will be the first in a line of cyborgs that will aid UltraTech in taking over the world. It's also pretty clearly based off of the monsters from the Predator film series, and shares a lot of the Shotoclone Moveset, complete with Uppercut and Fireballs (well, laser bolts or whatever), in addition to Forearm Claws and Teleporting, making him one of the most versatile KI fighters. He can even pull out a Fake Laser Storm, causing enemies expecting the Blast to jump in, allowing you to recover too quickly for them to react! This is basically a Benefit (Cunning Fighter in 2e's Wizards & Warlocks book).

-Fulgore was apparently destroyed in the first KI Tournament, and this build represents his upgraded form from the sequel. Most victories featuring him will see him not only set off an army that takes over the world, but often replace humanity entirely! Curiously, THIS character is our "Shotoclone"- copying the Ryu/Ken moveset by virtue of a Blast and an Anti-Air designed to "zone" opponents and keep them at bay.
drkrash

Re: Jab’s Builds (Glacius! Maya! Turk! Chief Thunder! Eagle! Fulgore!)

Post by drkrash »

Nowadays I tend to also wait until the "definitive" version of a fighting game comes out. By choosing to wait to play, you can save a lot of money.

But I do know that back in the 90s, a fighting game would release a "new" version that was basically the same game with one new character...and I'd buy it without a thought.

To game companies' credit, they're still doing the same thing but, acknowledging that it's the exact same game at its core, you just buy the new characters. Compared to the past, it's actually pretty fair.

Despite this, I still almost always refuse to spend 5 bucks to get a new character. ;)
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

drkrash wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:32 am Nowadays I tend to also wait until the "definitive" version of a fighting game comes out. By choosing to wait to play, you can save a lot of money.

But I do know that back in the 90s, a fighting game would release a "new" version that was basically the same game with one new character...and I'd buy it without a thought.

To game companies' credit, they're still doing the same thing but, acknowledging that it's the exact same game at its core, you just buy the new characters. Compared to the past, it's actually pretty fair.

Despite this, I still almost always refuse to spend 5 bucks to get a new character. ;)
Yeah, I remember all the different updated versions of fighting games that they'd usually sell for full price. It was even still happening recently with all the different updates and sequels Blazblue got (though that shouldn't be too surprising, Guilty Gear, from the same developers, was infamous for this, and was even still doing it too.) And those recent ones had updated versions AND DLC characters! (Though this was uslaly because the arcade version had been updated with new characters)
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

I think BlazBlue is one of the specific games that got me off that horse. I realized that I wasn't getting anywhere near "complete" with story modes, I had no idea what the plot was, and to this day, I'm confident there are characters in that series I've never played.

I appreciate that fighting games (especially ArcSys games) have high competitive value, but that's not why I play them. I miss the 90s when I could pick up any character in any game and have fun getting to the end of their story and having a sense I knew what was going on. Now there are games where I can play through some sort of "arcade mode" but I have no sense of the overall plot and I can't even seem to figure out what a character does other than basic attacks. I'm told too old to need to invest even a couple hours to get the basics of a single character down.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Kilgore

Post by Jabroniville »

KILGORE (UA-CCIX)
Role:
Killer Robot, Outdated Model
Games: Killer Instinct (2013)
PL 8 (133)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA -- AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+12)
Intimidation 7 (+7)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2 (Special Moves), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 9

Powers:
"Cyborg"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 5 [5]

"Short Circuit" Teleport 3 (Feats: Change Direction) Linked to Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Side-Effect -2- Damage, Limited to if Overheating) (9) -- [12]
  • AE: "Chain Gun" Blast 4 (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Limited to Every Other Round) (Diminished Range -1) (7)
  • AE: "ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAA COMBO!!!!!" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Multiattack 7) (Inaccurate -2) (8)
  • AE: "Chain Gun Assault" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Special Moves +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Ultra Combo +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Chain Gun +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Short Circuit +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Self-Aware)- The last Kilgore unit became self-aware on its own, altering its own programming.
Power Loss (Teleport, Guns)- The CCIX units are notoriously glitchy, and prone to overheating.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 15 + 7 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 8 (133)

-Kilgore was introduced in Season Three of Killer Instinct's remake (coming out in 2017, four years after the remake was released), and is meant to be the last remaining unit of the series that preceded the "Fulgore" line. As such, it's basically a somewhat-different, lazier "New Character", effectively a spin-off. However, the unit has an inhuman head sporting only a single red line for a face, and automatic weapons for hands.

-Kilgore is a "remix", like Shadow Jago, and so uses much of Fulgore as a basis, but stats up a fair bit differently owing to its more mechanical nature (Full Immunity), the Chain Guns (Multiattack), the weirder Teleport (with the potential for doing damage- something that's actually a deliberate weapon in-game!), and lower stats overall, since it's explicitly an inferior, outdated model. Kilgore is thus a PL 8 Shotoclone-type fighter.
Davies

Post by Davies »

... a Kurt Vonnegut reference in a fighting game. Who'd've thunk it?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:47 am ... a Kurt Vonnegut reference in a fighting game. Who'd've thunk it?
Haha, YES! I am totally well-read enough to have gotten that reference immediately! I’m so glad another person was as clever as I! *looks around nervously*