Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Jab’s Builds (Wreck-It Ralph! Turbo! Sofia & Elena! FROZEN!!!)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Tattooedman wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:03 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:44 pm I've never seen Frozen. I'm not sure who would be more shocked by this fact: Jab or my nieces.
drkrash wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:07 pm I also have never seen Frozen. I'm not opposed to seeing it, but I have no pressing desire to see it.
Shock wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:58 pm *raises hand*

My name is Shock and I'm posting in Jab's thread but have never seen Frozen
Good to know that I'm not alone :P
Nope, not alone at all. Because somehow with 2, count them - 2! teenaged daughters I've not seen Frozen either.
:o

Jab, I apologize on behalf of these unwashed heathens! Shame on you all. You better fix this before Disney's Storm Troopers come after you. :shock:
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Sven

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

SVEN THE REINDEER
Role:
Animal Minion
PL 4 (43)- Sidekick Rank 9
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+8)
Close Combat (Antlers) 1 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+2 Size)

Advantages:
Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Antlers)

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 [2]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Cold) [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Protection 1 [1]

"Antlers" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +1 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Antlers +2 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Reindeer cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects. Sven, however, is seemingly-understood by Kristoff.
Relationship (Kristoff)- Sven takes care of Kristoff, and is a loyal friend.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 10 (43)

-Sven is a Reindeer (called a Caribou in Canada), appearing only a little bigger than most people, allowing him to pull a sled by himself (but not outrun Wolves at the same time) or carry a single rider. He's a pretty standard Smart Disney Animal, acting like a dog, doing some goofy things (his attempts to eat Olaf's nose; ending up getting stuck to an Ice Staircase by licking it) and acting a bit like people, but he doesn't come across as a clone of other Disney Animal Sidekicks. Notably, he's not as bright (or as awesome) as the horse in Tangled, nor as annoyingly plot-interrupting as Meeko from Pocahontas. The gags surrounding his attempts at conversation (with Kristoff being able to both understand him and reply to him) are pretty funny, however. He and Olaf appear to be adversaries at first (even the Animated Shorts preceding the movie suggested he was always trying to eat Olaf's carrot-nose), but by the Olaf's Frozen Adventure mini-movie, they're close allies, with Sven going along for Olaf's journey.
Jabroniville

Olaf

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

”Some people are worth melting for.”

—-

"Because I love you, Anna, I insist you run."

OLAF
Played by:
Josh Gad
Role: The Comic Relief, Walking Metaphor
PL 2 (73)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Expertise (Snow) 4 (+3)
Expertise (Singing) 4 (+7)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

"Snowman"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
"Stuff Goes Through Him" Immunity 10 (Piercing Damage) [10]
"I Don't Have A Skull. Or Bones." Immunity 30 (Slashing & Bludgeoning Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [15]

Protection 2 [2]
Regeneration 4 [4]
Features 1: May Reattach Limbs [1]
"Power Slide" Speed 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Limited to Within Snow) [1]

"Detachable Limbs" Summon Limb or Butt 1 (Feats: Mental Link) (Extras: 4 Minions +4) (Flaws: Requires Limb Severing) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +2, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Summer)- As soon as Olaf hears about "Summer", he's fascinated by it, and obsessed with the idea of bringing Summer back to Arendelle. He wants to sun himself on the beach, enjoy a warm breeze, and feel the sand on his cheeks. "I'm guessing you don't have a lot of experience with heat" says Kristoff.
Weakness (Lack of Cold)- Warm weather (or proximity to a fire) has a negative effect on a creature made of frozen water. This does not mix well with the above.

Total: Abilities: -12 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 77 / Defenses: 4 (73)

Olaf- Averting Jar-Jar Binks:
-Olaf could have been SO bad. I mean, the early trailers for the film were like 90% Olaf doing dumb things and being a goof-off. People were fearing a Scrappy-Doo situation, or worse- a Jar-Jar Binks. One of those characters who becomes iconic for just being SO annoying to adults in their desperate attempt to appeal to the kiddie audience. Jennifer Lee, the Co-Director, even points out she had these fears when looking at early bits, because they didn't have the voice actor, and the character was more snarky and acidic- "I wanted to kill that ****ing Snowman". But instead, the character was actually pretty funny (Josh Gad got noticed a fair bit for The Book Of Mormon as a funny guy), and was understated (and under-used) enough to be tolerable. While the gags from the trailers were there, he wasn't just running around getting in the way, interrupting dramatic moments, and defeating the bad guys by accident. He just helps the gang find Elsa, then lets Anna out of a room. That's his overall relevance to the action.

-HOWEVER, they also do a neat thing by having him represent the former relationship of the sisters. See, when they were kids, Elsa used to make "Olaf", a snowman playmate for the girls (sort of an imaginary friend, since he didn't talk then). But when Elsa finally reveals her powers to everyone and unleashes them in full, she inadvertently creates a real Olaf during Let It Go, and he begins trying to help the sisters come together. He's sort of a walking bit of nostalgia (as Anna soon recognizes him) representing happier times. It's also neat how he's the one who points out to Anna (who is a bit naiive and clueless) what love is- pointing out the nature of sacrifices. And it's not done in that cheesy a way! And of course he gets one of the movie's most killer, memorable lines with "Some friends are worth melting for".

Olaf's Stats:
-Olaf has some pricey abilities, but is generally pretty useless as anything other than a sidekick. He can take off his limbs, take damage easily, pick a lock with his carrot nose, stick his limbs back together, and slide really fast through the snow, but can't really do any damage.

Post-Frozen Olaf: Olaf, as a wildly popular mascot character, has shown up again and again. He was even chosen as an ally in Sofia the First- unfortunately, the writers of that show aren't as good as the Feature Animation writers, and so the character was 100% jokes for like fifteen minutes, which DEFINITELY grew old. He's briefly used in Frozen Fever, just for a gag or two, but becomes the main character of Olaf's Frozen Adventure. Here, he's actually still pretty likeable, with many jokes about damage that befalls him ("Let's go, Sven!" *holds up a hand* *Sven high-fives his arm off* *still smiling* "OW!"), or his casual reaction to horrifying things ("So you KILL A TREE, then light its CORPSE with candles... I... LOVE IT!!!). His eagerness to give Anna & Elsa a real holiday tradition is actually pretty swell, and helps keep him likeable, as is his utter despondence at failing in his mission (which sees him buried in snow, attacked by wolves and badly burned).

About the Performer: Josh Gad probably didn't even realize he'd made a job for life here. He only got known for The Book of Mormon, where he had a star-making turn as the goofy, nerdy "bad Mormon" Arnold, who changes the course of Uganda with his unique variation of religion. This comic turn led to him being cast as Olaf, the friendly Snowman, and his performance was so good (particularly his deadpan reactions to horrible things, or his delivery of stuff like "He's CRAAAAAAAAAZZZYYYYY...") that he became the movie's second-biggest star. Olaf has since shown up in EVERYTHING- Gad even plays him in Sofia the First and the Lego video game. His own acting career aside from that hasn't really taken off, though many liked him as LeFou in the Live-Action Beauty and the Beast. His key problem is that, as a short chubby guy with a nerdy, high-pitched voice... he's really just a Poor Man's Jack Black, and Black is notably more famous. His biggest role was probably in the awful Pixels, which did nothing for his career. He's still getting work, though- just more minor stuff, like the upcoming Toy Wars (about the war between Mattel & Hasbro in the '80s & '90s).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Sofia & Elena! FROZEN!!! Anna! Kristoff!)

Post by Jabroniville »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:06 am Frozen has that one really great song, but the rest I can take or leave. It has earned my burning enmity for the Olaf's Adventure short that played before Coco.

Elsa is great, though. Why hasn't she had her own comic yet? Seriously, superhero princess protecting her kingdom. Why hasn't this happened?
The sad thing is, that short is legitimately very good when viewed in the appropriate context- TV. People found it way more agreeable there than as a 22-minute episode in front of a feature length movie.
Jabroniville

Marshmallow

Post by Jabroniville »

MARSHMALLOW THE SNOW GOLEM
Played by:
Paul Briggs
Role: Enforcer
PL 9 (99)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+2)
Expertise (Snow) 4 (+3)
Intimidation 6 (+7 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
Growth 6 (Str & Toughness +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]

"Snowman"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
"Stuff Goes Through Him" Immunity 10 (Piercing Damage) [10]
Immunity 30 (Slashing & Bludgeoning Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [15]

Protection 5 [5]
Regeneration 4 [4]
Features 1: May Reattach Limbs [1]
"Power Slide" Speed 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Limited to Within Snow) [1]
"Claws of Ice" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Ice Claws +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +11, Fortitude --, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Elsa's Will)- Marshmallow was created by Elsa to remove Anna & Kristoff from her presence, and to protect her against others encroaching upon her Ice Palace.
Secret Desire- Wait past the credits. You'll see.

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 81 / Defenses: 9 (99)

-The giant Snow Golem (called a "Marshmallow" by Olaf) was created by Elsa in a fit of anger to finally get Anna & Kristoff out of her Palace once and for all, since Anna refused to go home without her sister. Marshmallow easily handles all three of the heroes and tosses them out, chasing them off of a cliff! He even fights Prince Hans and several soldiers, but his natural clumsiness proved to be a weak link. The guy was played up in the trailers a bit, seeing as how it's some of the rare Action/Adventure stuff in the film, in part of their attempt to appeal to a mass audience (ie. boys who don't give a crap about the relationship between two sisters). Really, he represents Elsa's desire to be left alone (contrasting Olaf, who represents her love for her sister). He reappears briefly at the end of Frozen Fever, with some supporting materials suggesting he just happily lives in the Ice Castle with the Snowgies.

About the Performer: Paul Briggs is actually a Disney animator, generally a "Story Artist". Presumably he had the voice for the role, which only had a couple of lines and roars.
Gilliam

Re: Jab’s Builds (Wreck-It Ralph! Turbo! Sofia & Elena! FROZEN!!!)

Post by Gilliam »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 am
Tattooedman wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:03 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Good to know that I'm not alone :P
Nope, not alone at all. Because somehow with 2, count them - 2! teenaged daughters I've not seen Frozen either.

Jab, I apologize on behalf of these unwashed heathens! Shame on you all. You better fix this before Disney's Storm Troopers come after you. :shock:
Like Thorp I am shocked that people have not watched Frozen.

Although my daughters were not too fussed with it, I really enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to anyone :D
Woodclaw

Re: Jab’s Builds (Elena! FROZEN!!! Anna! Kristoff! Olaf! Marshmallow!)

Post by Woodclaw »

As far as I'm concerned Frozen arrived in a rather bad moment for me and there was just so much hype around it that I lost any possible interest halfway through the advertisement campaign. The fact that at every freaking comvention there are scores of Elsa cosplayers doesn't help either.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 am As far as I'm concerned Frozen arrived in a rather bad moment for me and there was just so much hype around it that I lost any possible interest halfway through the advertisement campaign. The fact that at every freaking comvention there are scores of Elsa cosplayers doesn't help either.
Really? Those have largely dried up here- I haven't seen an adult Elsa in at least a year or two.

Of course... the movie appears MUCH more popular in some of the foreign countries I've visited, so that might not have extended elsewhere. Even France had a TON of Frozen stuff available.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:51 am
Woodclaw wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 am As far as I'm concerned Frozen arrived in a rather bad moment for me and there was just so much hype around it that I lost any possible interest halfway through the advertisement campaign. The fact that at every freaking comvention there are scores of Elsa cosplayers doesn't help either.
Really? Those have largely dried up here- I haven't seen an adult Elsa in at least a year or two.

Of course... the movie appears MUCH more popular in some of the foreign countries I've visited, so that might not have extended elsewhere. Even France had a TON of Frozen stuff available.
It's not as bad as it could be. At Lucca 2016 3 cosplayers out of 4 were there as movie Harley Quinn. It was terrifying.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:51 am Really? Those have largely dried up here- I haven't seen an adult Elsa in at least a year or two.

Not Con cosplaying, but I have a friend who makes decent money in Princess gigs, and it's still her most requested role, with her best friend playing Anna.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:29 pm It's not as bad as it could be. At Lucca 2016 3 cosplayers out of 4 were there as movie Harley Quinn. It was terrifying.
The Harley Quinn thing is kind of a conundrum for me. I mean, I understand the appeal on some level: it's a relatively simple outfit, you don't need crazy proportions for the character, she was the most popular character from the Suicide Squad film, and contrary to a vocal minority, women like feeling pretty/sexy, and Harley has pretty much taken over as DC's official "sexy villainess", with even Catwoman and Poison Ivy being more conservative than Harley these days.

On the other hand, Harley is basically a crazy, evil, emotionally traumatized young woman who is the supervillain equivalent of a battered spouse that keeps going back to her abusive boyfriend. Writer Sean Murphy mentioned that part of the reason he wrote Batman: White Knight was to include the original Harley because he didn't like seeing his niece in a "Property of the Joker" jacket. Which loses some impact given his writing on the book, but still.

I'm honestly conflicted on how I feel about the character, especially the original Timm-verse Harley. On the one hand, she's sympathetic to an extent, but also clearly a villain who basically uses her situation to indulge in her worst aspects. But you'd also see occasional stories where it looked like she might genuinely reform, and I could actually see Harley as this kind of Spider-Man-style jokey heroine who uses joke-themed gadgets. I'm torn whether I'd want her to continue being a villain or maybe have a shot at reforming. Most modern works seem to turn her into this Deadpool-esque LOL-So-Random character that just does whatever the story needs.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

Is it bad if I say I still haven't seen Frozen? Will I wake up to Jab driving a stake in to my.. well... whatever it is that pumps the black sludge I call blood through my body.

Heart? No, that can't be it...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Sidious wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:07 pm Is it bad if I say I still haven't seen Frozen? Will I wake up to Jab driving a stake in to my.. well... whatever it is that pumps the black sludge I call blood through my body.
No, but I think if this keeps up he is probably going to explode.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The fact that I gave the movie THIS MUCH PRAISE and most of you dinks still haven't seen it makes me realize that I misjudged all of you terribly. You are, in fact, all horrendous people :P.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:06 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:29 pm It's not as bad as it could be. At Lucca 2016 3 cosplayers out of 4 were there as movie Harley Quinn. It was terrifying.
The Harley Quinn thing is kind of a conundrum for me. I mean, I understand the appeal on some level: it's a relatively simple outfit, you don't need crazy proportions for the character, she was the most popular character from the Suicide Squad film, and contrary to a vocal minority, women like feeling pretty/sexy, and Harley has pretty much taken over as DC's official "sexy villainess", with even Catwoman and Poison Ivy being more conservative than Harley these days.

On the other hand, Harley is basically a crazy, evil, emotionally traumatized young woman who is the supervillain equivalent of a battered spouse that keeps going back to her abusive boyfriend. Writer Sean Murphy mentioned that part of the reason he wrote Batman: White Knight was to include the original Harley because he didn't like seeing his niece in a "Property of the Joker" jacket. Which loses some impact given his writing on the book, but still.

I'm honestly conflicted on how I feel about the character, especially the original Timm-verse Harley. On the one hand, she's sympathetic to an extent, but also clearly a villain who basically uses her situation to indulge in her worst aspects. But you'd also see occasional stories where it looked like she might genuinely reform, and I could actually see Harley as this kind of Spider-Man-style jokey heroine who uses joke-themed gadgets. I'm torn whether I'd want her to continue being a villain or maybe have a shot at reforming. Most modern works seem to turn her into this Deadpool-esque LOL-So-Random character that just does whatever the story needs.
Harley's a total nutjob, and I think a lot of cosplayers don't really think about it or know that- being a cosplayer is a "different kind of nerd", so to speak, and they're more into the outfit and attitude than the actual history of the character. Most people probably don't even know her origin story.

It doesn't help that the doll line actually pushes Harley as a prospective super-hero.