Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Tai Cheetah, Foxy Roxy, Dali Llama! Luke Cage!)

Post by MacynSnow »

My only real problem with this pic is how....unisex it looks.I think it has more to do with the modern animation styles than anything else,it's just all so rounded off.
As an example,picture in your head a Male and Female body side-by-side(i'll say modestly covered so i don't get yelled at)around the age of 10-11 years old(as the above picture looks).Now,notice how much more blockier the Male form is than the Female,even at that Age.Now you can't sit there and tell me the above pic couldn't be misconstrued as a Boy given how the Art direction went.
Jabroniville

Re: Coldfire

Post by Jabroniville »

Scots Dragon wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:00 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 pm -James Jr. has the odd power of creating a super-powered Protoplasmic Form. I had to think about it for a second, thinking of sticking the "Physical Body is Defenseless" thing on his most-expensive power or whatever, and then was like "Derp! SUMMON MINION!" That's sort of basically what he does- he falls unconscious, and his consciousness inhabits some Sentient Protoplasm that's all fiery and stuff. This "Coldfire" creature is basically James Jr. in all ways, but very dangerous thanks to the spread of "Living Energy" powers, PLUS the ability to Summon lesser-powered Coldfires! This is actually illegal (Summons can't Summon more Summons)... but that's how his power works, so suck it, Official Rulebook!
You could simplify it; the initial summoning is a normal identity complication, with the fact that his physical body serves as a weakness.

There was also a 2e alternate form flaw that allowed you to use it as a 'projection' while leaving the physical body defenceless, and you could look into recreating that with a quirk or something.
I felt this way, while breaking the rules, was easier :). I've used the "Projection" thing before (I dunno why 3e didn't include that- between that and "Possession" being missed, they screwed up statting TWO of the most important Teen Titans! For a DC ADVENTURES game!), but I felt it was easier to do it this way.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Scots Dragon wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:17 am Image

Well, it was certainly a different design decision to turn She-Ra into a boy.
Apparently She-Ra is only 14 in this. So do we really have to complain that a 14 year old cartoon girl doesn't have breasts? Did people do that when Kitty Pryde debuted in the 80s?
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm I felt this way, while breaking the rules, was easier :). I've used the "Projection" thing before (I dunno why 3e didn't include that- between that and "Possession" being missed, they screwed up statting TWO of the most important Teen Titans! For a DC ADVENTURES game!), but I felt it was easier to do it this way.
Now you see, stuff like this is why I prefer M&M 2e so much.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Yojimbo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:41 pm
Scots Dragon wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:17 am Image

Well, it was certainly a different design decision to turn She-Ra into a boy.
Apparently She-Ra is only 14 in this. So do we really have to complain that a 14 year old cartoon girl doesn't have breasts? Did people do that when Kitty Pryde debuted in the 80s?
They're not complaining about the lack of cleavage Yojimbo,they're complaining about how boyish the Art itself looks.You can draw a female form without using Cleavage,it just takes actual talent in Art,which the cookie-cutter animation artist's nowadays don't seem to have....
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Yojimbo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:41 pm Apparently She-Ra is only 14 in this. So do we really have to complain that a 14 year old cartoon girl doesn't have breasts? Did people do that when Kitty Pryde debuted in the 80s?
You know, accounting for the differences in how art style would make characters look, she has basically the same build as the also-fourteen Sailor Moon.

Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Scots Dragon wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm I felt this way, while breaking the rules, was easier :). I've used the "Projection" thing before (I dunno why 3e didn't include that- between that and "Possession" being missed, they screwed up statting TWO of the most important Teen Titans! For a DC ADVENTURES game!), but I felt it was easier to do it this way.
Now you see, stuff like this is why I prefer M&M 2e so much.
I consider it an Accidental ommission on GR's part,but they just don't want to admit it....;)
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Scots Dragon wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:57 pm
Yojimbo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:41 pm Apparently She-Ra is only 14 in this. So do we really have to complain that a 14 year old cartoon girl doesn't have breasts? Did people do that when Kitty Pryde debuted in the 80s?
You know, accounting for the differences in how art style would make characters look, she has basically the same build as the also-fourteen Sailor Moon.

For me it's the face, that face in any other show would definitely be that of a young boy.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Luke Cage! Discus & Stiletto! Shades! Power Man!)

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:28 pm
My only real problem with this pic is how....unisex it looks.I think it has more to do with the modern animation styles than anything else,it's just all so rounded off.
As an example,picture in your head a Male and Female body side-by-side(i'll say modestly covered so i don't get yelled at)around the age of 10-11 years old(as the above picture looks).Now,notice how much more blockier the Male form is than the Female,even at that Age.Now you can't sit there and tell me the above pic couldn't be misconstrued as a Boy given how the Art direction went.

Winter Vinecki, 14 year old triathlete.

Misty Copeland, 14 year old ballerina.

Simone Biles (21), Aly Raisman (24), and Madison Kocian (21), from the U.S. Olympic Gymnastics Team.

The typical secondary sexual characteristics and tertiary sexual characteristics that we expect to see in animation aren’t there... Well, not entirely. They’re definitely wearing feminine clothing, but they’re all lean muscle, low body fat, and wearing no (or very little) makeup.

But look at She-Ra in her Princess Adora identity. Softer curve to the cheeks (indicating more “baby fat”), more slender arms (indicating less strength), a noticeable (if modest) bust, and a greater hip to waist ratio (a key secondary sexual characteristic).

Classic Adora and She-Ra were the exact same physical body in different clothes. New Adora seems to actually undergo a physical transformation into a new and more athletic body.

The show could still suck. I haven’t seen it yet. But I’m digging the character design for now.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Okay, we're getting to the point where Jab is likely going to feel that his thread is being derailed. I'm going to put my final two cents and drop it, unless anyone wishes to create a She-Ra thread over in the Entertainment forum.
MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:28 pm
As a experiment, I took a few minutes to photoshop the She-Ra image. I removed the long hair, the head gear, I messed with the shoulder decorations a little and got rid of the skirt. That was all. And this is what the result was.

So yeah, I stand by my original statement.
Yojimbo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:41 pm
Scots Dragon wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 pm Image
I don't think anyone had even brought the subject of breasts up before the post you quoted, though I easily could have missed it. And my major complaint was more that of the art style the show is going with. Other shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender and Ben 10 were quite capable of making a per-pubescent girl look like a girl, no cleavage needed.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Shades

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:59 am Image

SHADES (Hernan Alvarez)
Created By:
Archie Goodwin & John Romita
First Appearance: Luke Cage: Hero For Hire #1 (May 1972)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliation: Shades & Comanche
PL 6 (73)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:20 am ImageImage

COMANCHE (Darius Jones)
Created By:
PL 6 (70)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
Mooks like this completely justify the existence of folks like the Tinkerer. How else do you explain how this pair wound up with trick arrows and a visor that basically turned you into a low-rent Cyclops? Though I'd love to see them try to pass off an African American dressed up like a Native American these days.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Power Man (Alvarez)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:31 am ImageImage

POWER MAN III (Victor Alvarez)
Created By:
Fred Van Lente & Mahmud Asar
First Appearance: Shadowland: Power Man #1 (Oct. 2010)
Role: Teen Hero
Group Affiliations: Avengers Academy, The Mighty Avengers, The Heroes For Hire
PL 8 (88)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 3/8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0
I was never really a fan of this kid. It seemed like Marvel wanted to import the "Power Man" from the Ultimates Spider-Man cartoon into their setting along with Sam Alexander, and decided to do the "suddenly appearing son" bit. That he's got some weird mutant power to use chi is also pretty weird, though I understand they wanted him to be some kind of hybrid of Luke and Danny. But nothing has been done with the guy and his abilities are super vague. Pretty much a waste of a character that is probably going to get killed off if they ever decide to give Luke the Power Man name again.

Ares
Site Admin

Re: Cheshire Cat

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:06 am ImageImage

THE CHESHIRE CAT (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Bill Mantlo, Marv Wolfman & Bob Brown
First Appearance: Power Man #37 (Nov. 1976)

-The Cheshire Cat, who could disappear like his namesake, was Big Brother's chief minion, and appeared to die with his boss after several failed attempts on Luke Cage's life. He actually reappeared as part of Doctor Nightshade's "Flashmob" gang, attempting to kill the new Power Man, Victor Alvarez. He manages to trick Victor by going intangible, but is one-shotted by either Iron Fist or Luke Cage, who arrive to help.

-Cheshire Cat's powers are to Teleport, go Insubstantial, and become Invisible. So basically, a bunch of annoying powers. I don't know how good a fighter he is, but presumably his entire schtick is to just trick the hero into going for him, then disappearing.
This guy of all people actually has the makings of a decent villain. His powers are more annoying than threatening, and the real issue shouldn't be getting into a fight with the guy, but figuring out how to capture someone who can teleport, turn invisible and intangible. The exciting thing about him should be the chase, not the fight.

Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Luke Cage! Discus & Stiletto! Shades! Power Man!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Marvel has oodles of jobbers, but they’ve never really been good at developing them. Most of DC’s most popular bad guys are jobbers too, but writers have given them much more attention over the years.

But you’ll find people happily buying merch for and writing blog posts about how much they love Penguin, Riddler, the Ventriloquist, Abracadabra, Mirror Master, or the like. I mean, let’s face it, if the public sees a cover that has Spidey fighting Boomerang people probably won’t pick it up. But the Flash fighting Captain Boomerang and it will sell.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Captain Beard

Re: Shades

Post by Captain Beard »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:20 am ImageImage

COMANCHE (Darius Jones)
Created By:
PL 6 (70)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... =Comanched

Comanched

When a white woman has been with a black man she becomes tainted. This line is from the movie the Searchers . In the movie a girl gets kidnapped by Indians. The girls after being with the Indians for awhile, act different-like savages. John Wayne has the famous line, "You don't want her back know, She's been Comanched!"

Jesus Mary used to be so hot, what happened to her?

Who Mary, she's been Comanched!

So... there's that.
"I am loyal to nothing, general-- except The Dream." -- Captain America

"I can do this all day..." --Steve Rogers