Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Danny the Street

Post by Jabroniville »

DANNY THE STREET
Created By:
Grant Morrison & Richard Case
First Appearance: The Doom Patrol #35 (Aug. 1990)
Role: LSD-Inspired Character, Living Street, Aide to the Unfortunate
Group Affiliations: The Doom Patrol, The Teen Titans
PL 9 (216)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA -- AGILITY -3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (History) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Current Events) 10 (+10)
Insight 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Interpose

Powers:
"Is a Street"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Growth 14 (Str & Toughness +14, +14 Mass, +7 Intimidation, -7 Dodge/Parry) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [29]
Growth +6 (+20 Mass, +2 Speed, -20 Stealth) -- (250 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Growths) [6]
"Alter Street's Appearance" Morph 3 (Topological Features) [15]
Regeneration 2 (Feats: Regrows Features) [3]

"Appears Anywhere on Earth" Teleport 13 (Feats: Increased Mass 12) (Extras: Accurate, Extended) [64]
"The City Simply Makes Room For Him" Movement 2 (Permeate 2) (Extras: Continuous) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative -3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +14, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Mute)- Danny cannot truly speak out loud.
Motivation (Safe Haven)- Danny's goal is to be a safe haven for the unfortunate and dispossessed of the world.
Prejudice (Possibly Homosexual)- Danny speaks in an old English gay slang, and plays with the notion of gender with the shops located on his form.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 155 / Defenses: 23 (216)

-Now how'd I know this was a Grant Morrison character?

-Danny the Street is a sentient, living STREET- one which can transport himself anywhere in the world, and can only communicate via letters on things within his proximity (like signage, manhole vapors, broken glass, windows, & newsprint). He acts as a home for the strange and the dispossessed. He moves about the world, looking for such unfortunates, expressing a flamboyant personality akin to a gay male (even using the carny dialect "Polari", also used by gay males in the 19th Century). He's a "crossdresser", too- his sidewalks are lined with stereotypical "masculine" stores (gun shops, sporting goods, etc.), but decorates them with frilly pink curtains & lace. He's even named for a Drag Queen- Danny La Rue (which is French for "Street"). He aided the Doom Patrol when they faced a man obsessed with 1950s Americana, defeating him with a Perpetual Cabaret (oh, MORRISON). He later left for another Earth, becoming Danny the World, inhabited by Crazy Jane of the Doom Patrol.

-Danny reappeared in the New 52 as an ally of the Teen Titans, "joining" the team, since he's a teenager, and doing spy work for Robin. He dies attempting to get the Titans back to civilization after becoming an island for a time. He may have survived- being reduced to "Danny the Alley". The "Rebirth" of DC used him as well- he's Danny the Brick, being carried about by Crazy Jane- a bunch of aliens want to use him to make meat for cheap fast food restaurants, but the Doom Patrol saves him. This character has had more appearances in the past ten years than I think he has in the previous bit of his history- likely because somebody saw the whole "Sentient Street" thing and just ran with the gag again and again.

-Designing a sentient STREET isn't something most RPG systems are really made for, but nonetheless, I've used M&M 3e to build a living PLANET and a UNIVERSE one time, so I think I can handle it. Danny has certain basic aspects from being a street- Immunity & Growth, in addition to high Toughness and Strength. He's regenerated from harm before, so there's Regeneration in there. His ability to make himself look like any old street is actually a fairly broad Morph effect- given his sheer size and mass, changing something as big as a BUILDING is actually rather simple- it's a cheat I learned from my build of Ego the Living Planet- shifting entire mountain ranges would be an enormous Move Object for any OTHER character, but when you ARE the topographical feature, it's the equivalent of a human being moving their hairline or nose around.

-Danny can appear anywhere on Earth, which is a massive Extended Teleport. Adding a huge amount of "Increased Mass" allows him to take numerous passengers, vehicles, etc., since they're all technically touching him. And as for his ability to just kind of blend in to the city, and have it "shift" to make room... a simple Permeate! It's a bit of a "cheat", but technically, that's what's happening at a fundamental level- he's moving through stuff without actually affecting it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds (Miss Martian! Static! Kid Devil! Kid Eternity! Danny the Street!)

Post by Davies »

His most recent appearance, to my knowledge, was when he showed up in the Scooby-Doo Team-Up issues that featured the Doom Patrol. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this character could possibly be considered a teen-ager, so no further comments on that score.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Miss Martian! Static! Kid Devil! Kid Eternity! Danny the Street!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Okay, fixed Kit Freeman's Ghostly Powers. Thanks, Ares & Davies!

The rapid-fire increase in comic prices is crazy, though sadly matches up with inflation in a lot of ways. Houses in particular have ballooned even WORSE than comics have, which is one of the big economic issues of our time. It's just weird to see them at 10 cents for literally DECADES, and then suddenly jumping by triple, then getting worse until they're almost thirty times as expensive as they were back in the day.

Next up- the final two Teen Titans! And then we move on to not one, but TWO groups of terrible, terrible Jobber Villains! Titans-related, even!
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I don't think Danny the Street was created during a LSD trip, I think Morrison was actually sane when he did it, like so sane he was mental kind of sane. :lol:
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Aqualad (Jackson Hyde)

Post by Jabroniville »

AQUALAD II (Kaldur'ahm, aka Jackson Hyde)
Created By:
Brandon Vietti, Greg Weisman & Phil Bourassa (TV show), Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis (comics)
First Appearance: Brightest Day #4 (Aug. 2010- comics)
Role: Minority Replacement Hero (to Tempest)
Group Affiliations: The Teen Titans
PL 8 (127)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 5 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Bio-Electric Blast) 2 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Underwater), Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Undersea Capabilities"
Swimming 8 (60 mph) [8]
Movement (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Immunity 3 (Pressure, Drowning, Cold) [3]
Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Extended Hearing & Scent) [3]

"The Bio-Electric Fury of... wait a minute" Blast 8 (16) -- [18]
  • AE: "Hydrokinesis" Move Object 8 (Flaws: Limited to Water) (8)
  • AE: "Hydro Swords" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) & Enhanced Defenses 1) (5)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Swords +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Bio-Electric Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Aquaman)- Garth sometimes rankles under the spectre of his mentor and father-figure, who is often brusque and controlling.
Prejudice (Purple Eyes)- Garth was born with purple eyes, marking him for death by his weird culture. Aquaman saved his life, but some still mistrust him.
Disabled (Partially Colour-Blind)- Garth is largely-unable to see the differences between black, green & blue. I've never seen this come up.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 11 (127)

-Another character who debuted in an animated property and got kinda popular, this Aqualad is a cool-looking black guy who's the son of Black Manta (who I know to be... black and having a silly helmet. Oh, and he killed the Aquababy). He first showed up in the well-respected but quickly-cancelled Young Justice series, most notable to me for the seemingly 900 "non-requests that are totally requests" that asked if I'd watched it and what I thought... because it's me, I'm probably exaggerating and it was just a few times, but still :). In the comics, he is Jackson Hyde, a boy whose adopted parents have kept from the water since childhood- the whole Brightest Day story results in him gaining magical tattoos that light up, and he becomes the new Aqualad (his predecessor, Tempest, had been rapidly written-out in Blackest Night). His birth father, Black Manta, attacks and nearly kills Jackson's adoptive father, and it's revealed that Mera & Aquaman hid him away years ago for his own safety. He sided with the Aquafamily against his father (who coldly stated that Jackson and his dead mother meant NOTHING to him), and helped drive off Black Manta and his allies. He was announced as being about to join the Teen Titans... and then DC Rebooted itself.

-Aqualad II did not appear in the New 52 continuity at all, which is a bit striking considering they BARELY introduced him- seriously, he shows up in 2010 and then in 2011 it's the New 52, and the character vanishes. It wouldn't be until the DC Rebirth in 2016 that saw this version of Aqualad re-debut, as he's now a gay teenager (the previous incarnation was shown nursing a crush on Aquagirl, but obviously there wasn't time to go anywhere), and joins the Teen Titans.

-The second Aqualad is a VERY new character, so his stats aren't much at this point. He's a solid PL 8, being able to strike up close and at range with his Hydrokinesis, though.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

First trailer for Frozen 2 has dropped
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Never heard of Danny the Street. Wow, that is different. I think the creator might have been on LSD when he created Danny the Street. :?
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Danny The Street is pretty crazy, though I think one of the strangest Doom Patrol characters is Number None of the Brotherhood of Dada, which is..not even really a specific person or thing, but is more of a manifestation of bad luck and inconveniences. That banana peel you slipped on, that stray cat that ran across the road while you were driving, that loose plank of wood that you stepped on and fell through? Those were all Number None. So probably some sort of invisible, insubstantial force.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Like a ...Poltergeist?!? :o
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

KorokoMystia wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:03 pm Danny The Street is pretty crazy, though I think one of the strangest Doom Patrol characters is Number None of the Brotherhood of Dada, which is..not even really a specific person or thing, but is more of a manifestation of bad luck and inconveniences. That banana peel you slipped on, that stray cat that ran across the road while you were driving, that loose plank of wood that you stepped on and fell through? Those were all Number None. So probably some sort of invisible, insubstantial force.
It's honestly nothing short of a miracle that Morrison ever got to work in any mainstream books.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

kreuzritter wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:31 pm First trailer for Frozen 2 has dropped
HAH beat me too it Kreuz. :D

Wanted to see Jab flip out over that hair on Elsa and Anna '

what the heck Im flipping out over it :shock:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

kreuzritter wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:31 pm First trailer for Frozen 2 has dropped
Man, what's with all the pantsuits? MY PRINCESSES NEED DRESSES, DAMMIT!!! Their outfits seem more monochromatic than last time. Granted, because Disney loves money, they'll probably wear 2-3 outfits each :).

The CGI now extending into "this looks 100% real" is pretty crazy. And it appears to be way more Elsa-focused than last time (where she just had 12-ish minutes of screentime).

Also, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO epic.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Cripes, Elsa is CLEARLY the most powerful Disney hero ever, except for Aladdin's Genie-she now seems far more confident and in command of her elemental magic than in the original.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:35 pm Cripes, Elsa is CLEARLY the most powerful Disney hero ever, except for Aladdin's Genie-she now seems far more confident and in command of her elemental magic than in the original.
I do think Herc and Maui are still contenders for that title. (And Sora, if he counts as Disney)
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

KorokoMystia wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 pm
greycrusader wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:35 pm Cripes, Elsa is CLEARLY the most powerful Disney hero ever, except for Aladdin's Genie-she now seems far more confident and in command of her elemental magic than in the original.
I do think Herc and Maui are still contenders for that title. (And Sora, if he counts as Disney)
It’s Super Goof, folks. Recognize. 8-)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum