Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (INVINCIBLE! The Maulers! The Immortal! Dupli-Kate!)

Post by Arkrite »

Funny, I thought Robot just chose his body because Monster Girl was blatantly attracted to Rex.
Jabroniville

Shrinking Ray

Post by Jabroniville »

SHRINKING RAY (Ray something)
Role:
Background Hero

-Shrinking Ray was a random choice for the new Guardians of the Globe, formed by Robot. Making the cut over Bulletproof (though he got added within a few issues, when the team's performance wasn't up to snuff), Ray was initially wearing the laziest costume ever- just a "Fantastic Four" costume with an "R" instead of a "4". He got a much-improved one later (though kept the giant glasses and a mask that left his ears sticking out), but little characterization. He complained once or twice about getting ignored, and did the "crawl inside someone's ear and knock them out" thing, but he was casually executed by the Lizard League's Komodo during one awful mission- the villain just grabbed Ray, stuck him in his mouth, and BIT DOWN. Worse yet, Ray was entirely un-mourned- everyone focused on Dupli-Kate, who it turned out hadn't actually died. Ray was never brought up again.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:57 am Funny, I thought Robot just chose his body because Monster Girl was blatantly attracted to Rex.
Yeah, there was something like that. Oddly, she was much more attracted to Bulletproof.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Shrinking Ray got little characterization?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:16 am Shrinking Ray got little characterization?
Don't Grow it out of proportions ken! I'm sure they just had a small amount of time for his character...... :)
Jabroniville

Darkwing II

Post by Jabroniville »

DARKWING II (Real Name Unknown)
Role:
Murderous Vigilante
Group Affiliations: The Guardians of the Globe
PL 9 (165)
STRENGTH
2/6 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+10, +14 Suit)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Streetwise) 5 (+8)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Stealth 7 (+12)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Chokehold, Defensive Roll, Equipment 6 (Various Bat-type Stuff), Evasion, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Exoskeleton" (Flaws: Removable) [7]
Enhanced Strength 4 (8 points)

"Shadowverse Jumping"
Teleport 6 (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity) (Extras: Easy) (Flaws: Medium- Shadows) Linked to Teleport 6 (Extras: Attack) (Same Extras) (28) -- [29]
  • AE: Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel- Shadowverse) (Extras: Attack & Regular Version Linked) (4)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Exoskeleton +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Reputation (Murderer)- Darkwing apparently went mad during his stay in Midnight City during its years of darkness, and killed many people- perhaps even innocents. Invincible refuses to forgive him for this behavior.
Responsibility (The Legacy of Darkwing)- Darkwing was formerly Darkboy, the Kid Sidekick to the elder Darkwing.
Responsibility (The Shadowverse)- Horrifying things exist within the periphery of the Shadowverse- Darkwing is terrified of them, and warns Invincible against staying there for too long.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 10 (165)

-Darkwing is the former kid sidekick of the original (the Batman knock-off of the Guardians of the Globe), but has gone insane from the permanent darkness that envelops Midnight City (thanks to some sorcerer, apparently). Now a grim, murderous vigilante who hunts down and kills the criminals of that city, he was brought in by Invincible, only to be sprung by Cecil and put onto the Global Guardians.

-He was seen for only the briefest of moments, insisting to a suspicious Invincible that he'd reformed (this was the incident that led to Invincible breaking things off with Cecil's organization), and talking about his mentor's legacy. Black Samson assured him that Darkwing would have been proud... but come The Invincible War in the 60th issue, Darkwing saved the Guardians by pulling an Evil Invincible through one of his Shadowverse portals, trapping them both their permanently- he was never seen again, and scarcely even mentioned. One of MANY Invincible characters to be casually disposed of- his death was merely assumed, never followed up on, and was even overshadowed by the sacrifice of Rex Splode in the same issue!

-Hahh... until the Grand Finale of the entire series. Now THAT was cute- a bearded, confused Darkwing pops out of the body of a darkness-powered creature the Guardians of the Globe are fighting, paying off an eighty-plus issue gap.

-Darkwing is tough to stat, since he's a mini-Batman with a bunch of Skills & Advantages, but also a Teleportation power that he can use to attack people. The Exoskeleton he wears makes him PL 9, but he's of VERY low strength and toughness for a world like this- when he assaults Mark, the hero merely points out that "I said I FELT that- not that it HURT"- only his Teleporting allows him to survive a fight with a high-tier Powerhouse.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The Mauler Twins were probably one of my favorite parts of the Invincible setting. They just had a very "classic" comic book feel, the kind of thing Grant Morrison would have come up with on his All-Star Superman / JLA / Thunderworld days (as opposed to metafiction nonsense like his Final Crisis stuff). Two big, blue clones arguing over who was the clone and who was the original, being superstrong so they could get into fights, I wish I had come up with something like that.

Dupli-Kate is another one who has a punny name, which I love, and actually had a decent way to make duplicators really matter in comics: make them expert martial artists and acrobats. Now even if they were the kind of person who is a second rate Nightwing as both an acrobat and a fighter, being able to summon a swarm of such people who can fight with perfect teamwork? That SHOULD have made for a dangerously effective powerset. Unfortunately, being a skilled fighter in Invincible doesn't mean as much as it would in Marvel or DC, so she was mostly just there to be cannon fodder and result in a lot of gore.

In a way, while Invincible was pretty entertaining, it's ultimately an example of why I think this series would only work as a solo book, and why it'd fail as a shared universe setting. Basically, Invincible is a lot of what I hate about some Superman writers, as well as settings where there is only one "most powerful hero ever" character. Everyone who is not a Viltrumite/Kryptonian doesn't really matter, and the main hero will often win just by virtue of his race and punching someone really hard, or having a literal deus ex machina save him. Throw in all of the senseless gore, the lack of traditional superhero tropes like a secret identity, and it's actually a small miracle I didn't hate this book. If the quality of DC and Marvel had been better in the last 8 years or so, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much as I did. Instead, it says something about Kirkman that I did enjoy it for as long as I did.

So yeah, Invincible would be horrible in a shared universe, but he did a decent job of showing Superman writers how to do that kind of character without pissing people off: you have the character in a self-contained universe where he doesn't interact with other established heroes hardly at all, and then whatever you do is all on you and your supporting characters.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I tend to agree. I've really struggled with how to integrate Mark and the Invincible-verse into the Thorpocaverse overall over the years. I know I want them there, but it's been hard to figure out how they all fit. I'll have to keep thinking about it, I guess. But I did love the series overall and the Guarding the Globe series that spun off for a while a couple of years back.

Battle Beast and the brigade of jobbers alone were worth the series by themselves.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

William

Post by Jabroniville »

WILLIAM CLOCKWELL
Role:
The Best Friend, The Immature Guy
Group Affiliations: None
PL 0 (4), PL 1 (4) Saves
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +1

Complications:
Relationship (Mark Grayson- Invincible)- The two have been best friends for years, though William eventually grew further and further apart from a very busy Mark in college.
Relationship (Atom Eve)- The two dated briefly in the early part of the strip, though she eventually dumped him after getting annoyed at his immaturity. He didn't seem overly upset.
Reputation (Immature)- Williams is considered a bit of a goof by the other characters. Mark makes fun of him a lot (when he catches William wearing his uniform, he goes "Gayyyyyyyyy..."), Eve finds him immature, and both Debbie & Amber are a combination of mortified and amused when they find out that he knows Mark's secret identity.
Responsibility ("Not Call Me Will")- William insists that people say his whole first name- he accuses them of laziness if they don't.
Secret (Gay)- William later turns out to be gay, pointing out he'd been hiding his true self this whole time. So yes, Mark's constant jokes about William actually turn out to be right.

Total: Abilities: 0 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 1 (4)

-William is one of the more odd Supporting Characters in Invincible- introduced right away as Mark's best (and only, really) friend, William (he INSISTS upon "William", and gets passive-aggressive and bitchy with people who say "Will" or "Bill") appears to be a pretty ordinary "Best Friend" character. He's a bit less mature than the hero, says funny things, and when he figures out that Mark has super-powers (Kirkman has no time for "Comic Book Logic" stuff like people not being able to recognize their BEST FRIEND, even in a superhero costume), insists on being taken flying, leading to one of the funnier gags, as William cheers madly while Mark carries him, grumpily going "This is SO gay".

-William soon begins dating Atom Eve after she breaks up with Rex Splode, and hilariously doesn't realize she's a superhero (when he does, he naturally insists on going flying- "This is SO gay", an annoyed Eve replies). She confesses to Mark that she finds him fun, but also very immature- she pretty quickly breaks up with him (he appears unreactive to the situation), and nothing comes in the way of jealousy when she starts dating Mark. William makes a few asinine remarks to Mark around this time, suggesting he should try boning Amber, but for the most part, William during "The College Era" of Invincible is just "the guy who shows up every couple of issues to yell at Mark for not finding their friend Rick". See, Rick Sheridan (named after Sleepwalker's human host in Marvel Comics) introduced both of them to the school, but went missing very quickly. William grew obsessed with finding Rick, while Mark was constantly busy. This pissed William off, leading to a lot of fights between the two roomies.

-William's last real "arc" in the comic comes at the culmination of the "Reanimen" chapter, as William poses as a hobo and gets captured, leading to Mark fighting the Reanimen, rescuing Rick (who'd been turned in to one), and beating up the Mad Scientist responsible. Mark went off to more important things, especially after flunking out of college, and William stopped mattering. Hilariously, he turned up for ONE SCENE in a much later issue, with him suddenly kissing Rick as they were talking to Mark- "What?!? You're GAY now?" is Mark's exasperated reply, with William saying he was sick of "hiding" who he was this whole time. Eve suggested it was "cute", and then we never saw them say or do anything important ever again- I'd thought they vanished completely, but they have a few 1-2 page showings where they chat mostly with Eve around this time. Given that William was in the Top Five Most Important Characters for the first forty-odd issues of the book, seeing him make only a handful of real appearances after Invincible #60 was incredibly bizarre. He pops up more than I remember (I totally forgot about a handful of "Eve hanging out at his place" stuff), but never does anything again. To Kirkman's credit, William's dorky, annoying personality is still present, regardless of his sexuality.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:10 pm I tend to agree. I've really struggled with how to integrate Mark and the Invincible-verse into the Thorpocaverse overall over the years. I know I want them there, but it's been hard to figure out how they all fit. I'll have to keep thinking about it, I guess. But I did love the series overall and the Guarding the Globe series that spun off for a while a couple of years back.

Battle Beast and the brigade of jobbers alone were worth the series by themselves.
Yeah, I don't envy anyone attempting a shared setting for Mark and his crew- a hero on his level can destabilize things by HIMSELF- add in an entire race of similarly-powerful beings and you've got trouble. An entire setting essentially needs to revolve around the Viltrumites or else it doesn't make any sense- they're too powerful to ignore.

Invincible had TERRIFIC Jobbers- one of my favorite parts of the early issues was guys like Titan, Furnace, Magmaniac, etc. Unfortunately, Kirkman jacked up the Power Levels so quickly that Mark was literally knocking these guys out with one punch each- the Trade that introduces most of them goes "I decided to expand Mark's Rogues Gallery", which is hilarious, because every one of the guys gets dropped in mere panels.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:10 pm I tend to agree. I've really struggled with how to integrate Mark and the Invincible-verse into the Thorpocaverse overall over the years. I know I want them there, but it's been hard to figure out how they all fit. I'll have to keep thinking about it, I guess. But I did love the series overall and the Guarding the Globe series that spun off for a while a couple of years back.

If you want Mark to be around doing superhero stuff on Earth in a setting with guys from Marvel and DC also thrown in, this would be my suggestion:

I'd make Viltrumites independent of Kryptonians, or Strontians*, though if Sayians exist there might be some link there. Viltrumite history goes pretty much as it does in the comics, only the Coalition is an alliance of alien races who didn't want to be a part of the Shi'Ar, Skrull or Kree Empires, and banded together as such. Seeing the Coalition as the weakest of the space empires, the Viltrumites went after them first. Shenanigans happen, Nolan gets sent to Earth.

There his history goes as normal for a large part. The main difference is that Nick Fury is the one who approaches him for hero work rather than Cecil. Here, the UN decide that they want a superhero team that answers to them, while the Justice League and Avengers act as independent groups. So Fury creates the Guardians of the Globe to function as an international superhero team. The exact roster is unimportant.

Mark is born, and gets his powers shortly before an event where many of Earth's heroes would go missing, such as Secret Wars or Onslaught. Mark becomes Invincible, pals around with the Teen Titans or Young Justice, who have had some recent additions to the group like Atom Eve.

When the heroes vanish in one of the aforementioned crisises, Nolan makes his move, since this opportunity and Mark's powers emerging are too well timed. The Guardians of the Globe are killed, Mark and Nolan fight, Nolan leaves. Fury contacts Mark, and with the absence of heroes in the world right now, asks Mark to step up. If going with the Onslaught idea, then the appearance of the Thunderbolts causes Nick to back off on assembling a new Guardians of the Globe.

Mark's story progresses for the most part like the comics, he meets his dad, comes home, Fury and Mark actually probably get along better than Mark and Cecil, the rest of Earth's heroes come back and Mark finally gets to hang out with some of the big leaguers. The Invincible War happens, only this time there's a lot more Evil Invincibles to compensate for the rest of Earth's heroes not sucking. The Viltrumite War happens, the Viltrumites move to Earth, Nolan is made their ruler, and Thragg is exiled.

Here would be the critical change. Nolan decides to not force the Viltrumites to stay on Earth. Instead, he sets up a neutral planet that the Viltrumites who want to can begin terraforming into a new world for themselves. Nolan splits his time between Earth and New Viltrim. Thragg is a new wildcard villain out in space forming his own empire or team of space baddies. The bug planet Oliver was from either gets eaten by Galactus or the species simply continues to hyper-evolve into extinction, so they can't be used to quick-spawn new Viltrumites. Those Viltrumites on Earth do develop human compassion quickly. Anissa basically takes over the role of Maxima, becoming the person trying to bed warriors worthy of her, and depending on her characterization either becomes a nuance, a full on villain, or makes the same heel/face turn she does in the comics.

Mark never goes makes any deal with Dinosaurus, who may or may not exist. Nor does he go after Angstrom Levy. Mark instead remains on Earth with Eve, raising their daughter. Since all Mark knows is being a professional superhero, when Fury reforms the Guardians of the Globe, Mark is put on the team.

Parts of the Invincible Universe like Capes, Inc., Tech-Jacket, Best Tiger, Wolfman and the like are worth keeping, but the parts made redundant by other heroes can just be jettisoned.

Hope that helps.

*Side note, but to cut down on the number of Kryptonian Counterparts, I merged Strontians and Daxamites together. Basically, Strontians exist as they are in Marvel, where they're usually mid-level flying bricks, but the Shi'Ar developed a process that allows Strontians to reinforce their physical might with psionic energy, making them top tier powerhouses. However, the process also accelerates a Strontian intolerance to lead, making it go from something that would just irritate the skin to something lethal. The Shi'Ar Empire also has a cure for lead poisoning, but it must be administered regularly and is used to keep any "activated" Strontians in line. Later stage lead poisoning causes the normal Strontian purple skin tone to take on a more Caucasian hue.

Mon-El then is a Strontian who underwent the process but was lost on some mission and wound up on Earth. Exposure to lead turned his skin pink and thus Clark naturally just assumed he was another Kryptonian. Lead poisoning kicks in, and Mon-El is sent to the Phantom Zone. Clark later finds out the Shi'Ar have no cure for late-stage Lead Poisoning, requiring Mon-El to wait until Brainiac 5 develops one in the future. And later in the Great Darkness Saga, Darkseid takes control of the Daxamites and basically uses his own willpower to activate their abilities, creating an army of Supermen.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I like that, Ares. A couple of tweaks to make the Guardians of the Universe the reason for the bug planet to no longer exist (because they have been and will always be the most dickish of the dickish in the universe) and it's pretty workable. ;)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Omni-Man

Post by Jabroniville »

God that barefoot costume was dumb.

OMNI-MAN (Nolan, aka Nolan Grayson)
Role:
Flying Brick, Secret Invader
PL 14 (207)
STRENGTH
18 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 8 (+12)
Expertise (Alien Warrior) 8 (+12)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 8 (+12)
Perception 3 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 6 (+10)
Vehicles 1 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Interpose, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Viltrumite Physiology"
"Flying Brick"
Flight 12 (8,000 mph) [24]
"That Super-Speed Stuff They Eventually Started Ignoring" Quickness 2 [2]

"Flies In Space"
Immunity 3 (Heat, Cold, Pressure) [3]
Movement 1 (Space Travel) [2]

"Hard To Kill"
Immunity 4 (Aging, Suffocation, Radiation, Disease) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Regeneration 5 [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +16, Fortitude +16, Will +9

Complications: 
Relationship (Mark- Son)- Mark is ultimately what gets Nolan to completely give up ruling the Earth- he cannot kill his own son.
Relationship (Debbie Grayson- Wife)- Nolan initially insisted to his son that Debbie was "little more than an affectionate PET", but he later realizes that he was lying to himself. He confesses to missing his wife, and she thankfully takes him back much later.
Relationship (Oliver- Son)- Nolan missed Oliver growing up, but the two became friendly after months spent on an alien world, waiting for Mark to heal from his wounds.
---
Responsibility (The Viltrumite Empire)- Nolan is heir to the Viltrumite throne, and now the people are his responsibility. Before this, he was an arch-enemy of the Viltrumites, considered a traitor.
Enemy (Thragg)- The Grand Regent of the Viltrumites wishes to extinguish the heirs to the bloodline of the throne, and rule the universe.
Responsibility (Viltrumite Rage)- All Viltrumites get angry very quickly, and restraining themselves in times of anger is extremely difficult.
Weakness (High-Level Sonics)- Viltrumites require inner-ear stability in order to fly, and can be incapacitated by certain degrees of sonic pulses.

Total: Abilities: 122 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 15 (207)

-And here's Nolan Grayson, aka Omni-Man, the "Superman" of his Earth, until it was publicly revealed that he was actually an alien invader, sent to take over and rule Earth for benefit of his race. This is more or less revealed when he exterminates the Guardians of the Globe, and when Invincible finds this out, it's a father/son struggle when Nolan demands that Mark follow the Viltrumite path. A heartbroken Mark fights back, and is beaten nearly to death- Nolan, tears in his eyes, can't bring himself to finish the job, and abandons Earth and his post- anathema to Viltrumites. The planet has changed him.

-Mark finds his father on a planet of Mantis-People, having birthed a new son (who, conveniently, ages super-quickly), but the two are quickly attacked by Viltrumites after Nolan confesses that his time on Earth has changed him, and that his people are going to be after him. He is crippled temporarily, and taken away from Mark- sprung from jail months later by Allen the Alien, at which point the two become partners against the Viltrumite Empire- Nolan is now a traitor. Eventually he and Mark reconnect, and he even gets back together with his wife Debbie, confessing that he loves and misses her, and his protests against this fact were him lying to himself and his son, trying to re-adopt the old ways of his people.

-Nolan is eventually revealed to be the true heir to the Viltrumite Empire, but dies in one of the final issues of the series, damaged past the point of healing in the fight against Thragg's forces.

-Nolan was a very interesting character, though they often "glossed over" important bits. Him breaking down and being unable to execute his son was the early "great moment" for the book, but I found a few of his later bits "too easy", like where he fully cops to "oh yeah, I now give up EVERYTHING about my people" and "oh, actually, I'm in love with my wife". It was like he came to all of these conclusions "off-panel", so we never actually WITNESSED that struggle. Like, hell, he actually MARRIED again, only a couple months after abandoning Earth! Him attempting to visit Earth occasionally was fun, as people typically ONLY remember him as "the guy who killed the Guardians of the Globe and thousands of other people when he turned evil", especially after his conversation with Mark was broadcast around the world- though they gloss over the "oh hey, remember when he KILLED THOUSANDS?", it's at least maintained a level of imapct over the people of the world.

-A PL 14 powder-keg, Omni-Man is FREAKING SCARY, capable of dishing out horrific levels of damage at super-speed (that's a pretty high Attack Bonus for a Brick- which denotes superfast movement enough for me). He's stronger and tougher than the average Viltrumite, with a horrific +16 Toughness save (he takes an INSANE amount of punishment over the course of the series without barely reacting- buildings topple onto him and he feels NOTHING), he can go All-Out or Power Attack, he can Rage, and he's actually got some decent Skills too, particularly a high Bluff, after fooling his entire family, the Earth's superheroes, and the US Government for years.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Maulers! The Immortal! Dupli-Kate! Omni-Man!)

Post by Ken »

The non-red parts of Omni-man's costume - are they supposed to be very light blue, or is the blue just shading on the white?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Maulers! The Immortal! Dupli-Kate! Omni-Man!)

Post by Arkrite »

My take on the problem with the setting seemed to be
A) That Mark was a PL 12 character in a PL8 to PL10 world and
B) The writer didn't seem interested in doing much build up in regards to anybody but Mark

The cast could have been very interesting, the world could have fairly unique, but it seemed like the PL8 Guardians of the Globe got trotted out to face off against the higher PL threats that Mark was supposed to fight and just get decimated.
Then Mark just flys in an punches the threat.

The one time I remember them trotting out an interesting bad guy who had mind control powers they just had Mark drop bricks on him from near orbit. And, in what seems to be a reoccurring joke for this series, the character in question never mattered again in the series.

You know I honestly don't like that I'm coming across so negative, I really did enjoy this series up to a point. I just regret that it had so much unrealized potential. If it had taken some time and maybe gave more focus to side characters, or just the plots that were being set up, it probably would have been a better series.