Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Flame! Charon! A Huge, Throbbing Genis!)

Post by MacynSnow »

I for one honestly loved the costume and Character.He could've done so much better if they'd Introduced him a couple of years prior('91 would've been best imho).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’ve never really liked “cosmic” comics, but Genis was one of the few I enjoyed. He just had the misfortune of being a Bronze Age hero at the peak of the Iron Age.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I on the other hand love cosmic comics and absolutely hated Genis

That's a lie, I loved that book and character.
Scots Dragon

Re: Captain Marvel (Genis)

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 pm Genis I guess is just an untouchable character at this point- his sister Phyla had some luck with Guardians of the Galaxy, but that book soon shifted to the "Movie-Only" roster, getting rid of her entirely.
They killed Phyla-Vell off way before the films, and the event in which they did so was pointless bullshit. Curious how the writers seem to think that the queer characters are the most disposable ones. They even introduced another lesbian Quasar recently only to promptly kill that one off as part of the fucking Secret Empire nonsense.

There's a reason that this is a page on TV Tropes.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Weird thing is... Gay Legacy Character? How is that NOT perfect for Marvel's recent diversity push? Hell, they already had her! They didn't need to make an all-new character at all! Marvel's so weird.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:02 pm Weird thing is... Gay Legacy Character? How is that NOT perfect for Marvel's recent diversity push? Hell, they already had her! They didn't need to make an all-new character at all! Marvel's so weird.
It's not really a diversity push if the characters keep getting pointlessly killed off in various brutal fashions.

It's one of the many reasons why the actual 'SJWs' that Marvel's supposed to be pandering to actually kinda despise them lately and have mostly been migrating over to DC. And why D&C's label of 'SJW Marvel' baffles the fuck out of me, as someone who could easily be described as a social justice warrior.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 pm ImageImageImageImageImageImage

CAPTAIN MARVEL III (Genis-Vel)

They could've called him Captain Marvel Jr. and f--- over the Fawcett characters again.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Scots Dragon wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 pm
It's not really a diversity push if the characters keep getting pointlessly killed off in various brutal fashions.
But it is, though: they introduce a character, get people who barely read comics to talk about it, and then when the character dies, those same people are generally not around to complain about it.

Phyla was introduced on the new Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon, but she was unrecognizable from her comics personality.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

drkrash wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:24 pm
But it is, though: they introduce a character, get people who barely read comics to talk about it, and then when the character dies, those same people are generally not around to complain about it.

Phyla was introduced on the new Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon, but she was unrecognizable from her comics personality.
She barely had any line in that episode of Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:34 pm
drkrash wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:24 pm

She barely had any line in that episode of Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
I don't even recall her in that. In GotG, they made her an Accuser and she spoke with that annoying imperious tone given to powerful females in contemporary Marvel cartoons.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:02 pm Weird thing is... Gay Legacy Character? How is that NOT perfect for Marvel's recent diversity push? Hell, they already had her! They didn't need to make an all-new character at all! Marvel's so weird.

It's one of the many reasons why the actual 'SJWs' that Marvel's supposed to be pandering to actually kinda despise them lately and have mostly been migrating over to DC. And why D&C's label of 'SJW Marvel' baffles the fuck out of me, as someone who could easily be described as a social justice warrior.
I think Marvel is desperately trying to show off how "SJW" they are - they just royally suck at it. I didn't think they'd killed that many LGBT-types lately, though. That link only shows one from the current Marvel stuff (2015)- the rest seem a bit older.

D&C is weird. He'll make a solid point or two (many Marvel books DO feature way too many people giving constant reassurance to the POC/female leads, easily-beaten villains, and art with hideous women because that's "progressive"), but then his biases show and he'll rip on Motor Crush or Saga because he completely misses the point (Domino and Petrichor are INTENSELY flawed and treated as such by the narrative, not lionized for being so amazing).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It’s the old adage about how the audience wants “strong characters, who might sometimes be female” but we keep getting “strong females, who might sometimes be characters.”
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 pm Image
Personally, this is my favorite costume of Genis', granted I'm a huge sucker for star field costumes.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Lazarus

Post by Jabroniville »

LAZARUS (Todd Hunter)
Created By:
Peter David & Dan Lewis
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk Annual #19 (1993)
Role: Vengeful Villain
PL 8 (98)
STRENGTH
2/10 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Expertise (Business) 6 (+10)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Power Attack

Powers:
Regeneration 2 [2]

"Lazarus Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [36]
Enhanced Strength 8 (16)
Protection 8 (8)

"Telekinesis" Move Object 8 (16)
Flight 2 (8 mph) (4)
-- (44 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Armored Up +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+10 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications: 
Enemy (Ex-Wife, Cameron)- Hunter was nearly killed by his wife and her lover.
Motivation (Revenge)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 7 (98)

1993 saw the production of a series of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-Lazarus was created for a Hulk Annual, so he's a bit tougher than the usual. He was a former invalid who headed a business called Hunter Tech. His wife began cheating on him out of hatred for her life (and I guess because he was crippled?)- she and her lover blew up Hunter's home, apparently killing him. He returned wearing body armor that gave him telekinetic powers, and of course attacked his old company (which was now run by Cameron- the lover of his "widow"). The Hulk and the Pantheon got involved, leading to a brawl- the lover died in the struggle, and the Hulk made Hunter's ex confess to the police. Lazarus was seen in a later Hulk issue, protecting his money-leeching son from underworld enforcers. Lazarus smacked his son and fled when the Hulk got involved.

-Lazarus is vaguely-strong and has some Telekinetic powers, and is crafty enough to use them well- he throws cars around, and attacks buildings, requiring local superheroes to spend their time rescuing civilians instead of fighting Lazarus himself.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:53 pm

I think Marvel is desperately trying to show off how "SJW" they are - they just royally suck at it. I didn't think they'd killed that many LGBT-types lately, though. That link only shows one from the current Marvel stuff (2015)- the rest seem a bit older.

D&C is weird. He'll make a solid point or two (many Marvel books DO feature way too many people giving constant reassurance to the POC/female leads, easily-beaten villains, and art with hideous women because that's "progressive"), but then his biases show and he'll rip on Motor Crush or Saga because he completely misses the point (Domino and Petrichor are INTENSELY flawed and treated as such by the narrative, not lionized for being so amazing).
To be fair, I think Phyla was killed off way before the diversity push that Lady Thor started, and I'm not sure Quasar even counts given how she barely counted as a character. Hell, they barely introduced her as a replacement for Wendell.

D&C isn't wrong when he calls it SJW Marvel, given their replacement agenda, their continued promotion of books with very low sales, their focus on politics to the exclusion of all else, and various other factors. Turning Iceman gay, replacing Steve, Tony, Thor, Clint, Bruce, and others with women/minorities, keeping low tier books like America Chavez going long past their cancellation point when the writer brought on was basically hired due to their race, orientation and sex rather than writing skills, the constant political commentary and the despicable nature of many of the creative staff reveal a very unhealthy industry. The fact that they've taken a character like Captain America, someone who has arguably never been more popular thanks to the movies, and not only resisted letting him be Captain America since the end of Civil War, but have dragged him through the mud with a horrible retcon and mega-event, but then put his fate in the hands of questionable writers.

That said, I don't view D&C as the be all, end all of comics reviewing. He's just a guy with some opinions about comics, some of them I agree with, as many that I don't, who apparently has some degree of insider knowledge. But that's also kind of the point. At this point, there are quite a few comics pros that include people like Mark Waid who are getting into potential illegal territory to attack the guy, someone who just makes Youtube videos off of his phone's camera and who has one Go-Fund-Me fan created comic to his name. That they give him any kind of attention at all is just ludicrous, and makes them look the worse for it.

And much as I disagree with the guys opinions at times, he's often very good about getting screen-caps and images of things he wants to complain about or disprove.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.