Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds (Blink! Nocturne! Mimic! King Hyperion!)

Post by greycrusader »

Yes, the power levels of the Exiles counterparts were generally notably inferior to their mainstream universe counterparts-Mimic is the obvious one here, but as noted both Sasquatch and Sunfire also seemed somewhat weaker than the 616 versions were depicted, and showed off fewer power stunts. Even the female Namor, who was touted as a major powerhouse, never QUITE seems quite the heavy-hitter of the familiar Sub-Mariner, though she was mostly depicted as the toughest person on the team, as she at least gave King Hyperion something of a fight. And as Jab correctly states, ALL the Exiles (and the bulk of the superhumans they encountered) were far more fragile. In M&M terms, the lethal damage rules and the Complication invented by Jab do a pretty good job of representing that.

So-yeah, King Hyperion. I suppose, compared to the several OTHER iterations who've appeared (there have been at least EIGHT involved in actual story arcs, along with a few other alternate world/future timeline versions), King Hyperion was a more experienced, vicious fighter (always going for the kill), along with being somewhat stronger (maybe from soaking up radiation? He mentioned living through a nuclear blast, and he got stronger when he literally "inhaled" the AofA version of Holocaust's energy body). He straight up murdered Colossus, Hulk, Magneto, and Vision counterparts too, and later brags about having killed Thor and Wonder Man as well. So maybe HE wasn't subject to the usual "all counterparts are more vulnerable than the original" rule?

But once he got transplanted to the MU proper...well, he flat-out got beaten by Blue Marvel, got one-shotted by Atlas (the latter was enraged past his normal size/mass limits), and probably would have struggled against a full strength Juggernaut, seeing as he did get injured battling a weakened Cain Marko.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Alien & Predator! Kratos! The Exiles! Blink!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:29 am Man, the Exiles had some REALLY boring and generic outfits. A really good clue of how disposable everyone was.
Yeah, I kind of get the impression nobody wanted to waste their "A-Game" material on a character who might not last. So Blink got the best overall look, while everyone else was just kind of stuck in "Hero Clothes". Nocturne of course gets the standard "I'm cool-looking without a uniform, so I wear basically whatever" pass.

What's funny is now I'm picturing the Age of Apocalypse, and how Joe Madureira basically went out of his way to make himself a superstar with that even, giving epic costume change after epic costume change. I mean, those characters were even MORE disposable, so he just went in with a "this is how I would design characters with every bit of freedom possible".
Jabroniville

Morph

Post by Jabroniville »

MORPH (Kevin Sydney)
Created By:
Judd Winick & Mike McKone (from Roy Thomas & Werner Roth's Character)
First Appearance: Exiles #1 (Aug. 2001)
Role: Rescued Obscure Character, Whacky Joker
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, The New Mutants, The Avengers, The Exiles
PL 10 (169)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+7)
Deception 5 (+6)
Expertise (Computers) 3 (+4)
Perception 1 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork, Ultimate Toughness Save

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Shapeshifter"
Shapeshift 7 [56]
"Rubber Body" Protection 10 [10]
(Common Powers: Elongation, Leaping, Semi-Complicated Mechanics, Immunity to Bludgeoning Damage- Limited to Half, Strength-Damage Boosts, etc.)

Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Morph (Any Form) 4 [20]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [5]
"No Scent" Concealment 1 (Scent) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Shapeshifted Weapons +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Sunfire)- Morph fell for Sunfire pretty quickly (even more than he usually lusts after women), and even remained close to her after she revealed that she was a lesbian. He was bummed, but remained her friend. He was the one most-devastated at her death.
Rivalry (Mimic)- Morph blames Mimic for the death of Sunfire, and took a long time to forgive him for it.
Addiction (Jokes)- Morph is a whacky, irreverent character, and is generally unable to stay serious. His natural inclination is to joke (sometimes just to break the tension and keep things light; most of the time, he's just a goof-off), even when it's horribly inappropriate. He started doing this as a way to rebel against his serious, stoic father, who insisted his son "grow up" when Morph's mother died of lung cancer.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 105 / Defenses: 9 (169)

-Morph is the Comic Relief/Heart of the Team guy, and takes a similar role to Changeling in Teen Titans- he's a glorious pervert, obsessed with boobs and butts (a truer reflection of comic books fans has never been found), cracks jokes about things and has a pretty dark sense of humor, but often uses it to hide inner pain or keep things light when times are tough. And much like Gar Logan, Morph (NEVER called by his real name) is your barometer of "Shit Just Got Serious"- when HE stops with the kidding and reacts with real emotions, you know they're up to their necks in it. Like when he comforted Mariko upon realizing that she'd spent MONTHS in a world with the love of her life, only to have it ripped away; or his grief when Mariko died (and his hatred of Mimic for being responsible).

-Morph's history is that he was one of the New Mutants and X-Men, then upgraded to the Avengers- the sign of a truly versatile hero, and a great ambassador to mutantkind. Along with Blink, he's the only original to stick with the team the whole way, and was actually on the book for longer, since she took a twenty-issue break under Chuck Austen & Tony Bedard. He was even given the chance to go home, but he refused- deciding to stay with his team. In the end, he was possessed by Proteus, but since he was Immune to the destructive side-effects of Proteus' control, and he was being Mind Controlled to be just like Morph, he never died like the other victims- "Morph" stayed on the team. He eventually revealed his true personality once more, having broken past the control of Proteus and was now able to end the possession... but their closeness had made Morph aware that Proteus deep-down actually WANTED to do some good, and the two agreed to use their powers as one.

-Morph is coincidentally based off of the FIRST Changeling in comics- the loser character Kevin Sydney who was basically created as a retcon to explain why Professor X WASN'T dead after all- yup, our first Retcon X-Man. However, that guy was a latent Telepath with a standard Morph power (and later became the basis for the cynical jokester in the X-Men cartoon on FOX, which was likely the inspiration for THIS guy... comics are weird), and THIS guy is basically Plastic Man but arguably with even MORE versatility. He can basically take on whatever form he wants (generally a hard-hitting guy), but only at a PL 9 level- it's his DURABILITY that makes him hard to bring down, as he can just keep on taking hits and recovering, even from being taken apart. He can also fly in his baseline form.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Sabretooth (AoA)

Post by Jabroniville »

SABRETOOTH (Victor Creed)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & John Byrne
First Appearance: Iron Fist #14 (Aug. 1977)
Role: Villain-Turned-Hero, Mentor Figure, Scrapper
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, Weapon-X, The Exiles
PL 11 (204)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 5 (+12)
Close Combat (Claws) 2 (+13)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Military) 5 (+7)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 9 (+11)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 10 (+13)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+8)
Stealth 7 (+11)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Fearless, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Claws) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages (A Few), Last Stand, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 6, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown, Ultimate Fortitude Check

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Healing Factor & Claws"
"Claws" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) [3]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

"Animalistic Physiology"
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Healing Factor"
Immunity 3 (Aging, Poison, Disease) [3]
Regeneration 10 (Every Round) (Feats: Regrowth) [11]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Diehard, Great Endurance [2]

"Super-Senses"
Senses 11 (Acute, Accurate & Extended Scent, Extended & Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking 2, Ultra, Extended & Accurate Hearing) [12]

"Adamantium-Laced Skeleton"
Features 1: Unbreakable Bones [1]
Protection 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Claws +13 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +9, Fortitude +13, Will +9

Complications:
Relationship (Blink)- Creed is extremely close to his young charge and foster-daughter, and is still protective of her.

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 32 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 19 (204)

-One of the best parts of Alternate Universes in comics is seeing a familiar face in a new persona- evil versions of main heroes are common (bonus points if they have goatees), but a common VILLAIN as a heroic figure? THAT stands outs- and so The Age of Apocalypse used Victor Creed, Wolverine's most-dangerous recurring nemesis and general psychopath, as a heroic character. Granted, this basically turned him into Wolverine, but in a lamer costume, but hey- it's a twist. He was re-used for Exiles as the leader of the "Dark Exiles" in Weapon-X, and came into contact with his old student Blink. He volunteered to stay behind on a Days of the Future Past-type world (and MAN do I hate that these Bad Futures, despite being FIXED in various stories, still basically continue on, just as "Alternate Futures"- it kind of defeats the purpose of FIXING THE PAST) to raise Franklin Richards & Rachel Summers' child, who was destined to become evil and take over the world- having refused the order from the Tallus to kill him.

-He later ended up on the Exiles themselves after they saved his life when David Richards turned out evil ANYWAYS, and there was a recurring issue with Blink often overly-deferring to him. He also hooked up with Psylocke when she joined the team (MAINSTREAM Psylocke, even! The one who was nearly KILLED by Sabretooth on multiple occasions!), and may be the father of his world's Nightcrawler. He was apparently killed in some latter-day Exiles story, saving his reality's X-Men from some villains. Honestly, I found Creed to be a REALLY boring character on Exiles- he was like a less-interesting version of Wolverine who didn't have the Berzerker aspect OR the Samurai aspect, so he was just some fatherly figure who was all lecture-y. Totally dull.

-Sabretooth in the Exiles is essentially my Sabretooth build, plus some Wolverine-esque Skills & Advantages. This makes him the same kind of high-strength, high-accuracy PL 11 fighter Victor Creed ALWAYS was, but a bit more well-rounded as a person. He also apparently got some Adamantium laced to his skeleton, which is likely a writer error, as AoA Sabretooth never had this. Maybe it happened in some Alternate Universe and they just never mentioned it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And that's it for the Exiles builds!! A fun little book to revisit sometimes (the fact that characters can die give even casual stories an importance), but I'm mainly happy because it makes my Archives look pretty again :). Having finished doing indexes for various letters of the Marvel Alphabet, I was often left with blank spots where Exiles characters sat for "B", "M", and especially "S". Now those places are all filled. HOORAY FOR ANAL RENTENTIVENESS!!!
Jabroniville

Kim Possible (Series)

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

KIM POSSIBLE:
-An Action/Comedy cartoon running from 2002 to 2007 and lasting 87 episodes (breaking Disney's formerly ironclad rule that no TV series could last over sixty-five), Kim Possible was the brainchild of Bob Schooley & Mark McCorkle (current producers of the Big Hero Six TV series), started up by an elevator conversation in which one shouted: "Kim Possible- She can do anything!" while the other quipped, "Ron Stoppable- he can't!"

The premise of the show is that a High School cheerleader also moonlights as a multi-talented Action Heroine, along with her clumsy, less-competent male friend. The origin story, which I've never seen given in the show, is that she set up a website that boasted "I can do anything!", excepting babysitting jobs- instead, she was asked to engage in life or death situations, and, because this is a comedy, more or less ran with it. The show was created in part to fill a void- there were very few female-led animated series at the time, and ESPECIALLY very few action ones. Kim was given some gadgets from a computer-nerd buddy, some High School relationships (pretty boy Josh Mankey; bitchy popular girl Bonnie Rockwaller), some genius parents ("She's the daughter of a rocket scientist and a brain surgeon!" went the advertising), annoying twin siblings, and more.

The premise could really have gone anywhere, but where the show struck a chord was with the overall attitude and sensibility. It wasn't really like anything else on the market at the time- it'd almost be seen as passe nowadays to do an Action Heroine Show that was all self-referential about genre cliches and stuff like that, but in 2002, this was a RARE THING. That the show was so tongue-in-cheek about everything really let you in on a lot of fun- villainous deathtraps were decried as silly, various genre conventions were directly called out by the characters, etc.- one foe has electric eels in a fish tank, and Kim IMMEDIATELY starts grousing about how "the lame villain puns write themselves- 'SHOCKING, isn't it?'", and later, said villain LITERALLY SAYS THAT. One bad guy, played by RICARDO MONTALBAN no less, is a bored billionaire who literally reads from a book devoted entirely to supervillain cliches, insisting upon following them to the letter.

The show also hit big with its main villains- the goofy butt-monkey Dr. Drakken soon gained a snarky female sidekick, and her wonderful design combined with sarcasm-filled delivery by Nicole Sullivan turned Shego into the spark that the show really needed to hit the next level.

The show really had everything- it was funny due to both slapstick (mostly from Ron Stoppable, Kim's partner, who was a total magnet for calamity) and the wordplay- the best humor always comes from CHARACTERS, and so many sarcastic people mixed perfectly with the hyper-dramatic ones- Kim was serious and cheerful, while Ron was fussy and a basket case; Drakken was a loon, while Shego was snide and casual. It really worked. One of the most hilarious episodes featured serious Kim & Shego being afflicted by a "Moodulator" that turned them into mercurial parodies of what men think women suffering from PMS are like- they bawled uncontrollably one minute, got lusty and rape-y the next (Kim gives the most predatory stare of all time to Ron, complete with the Little Black Dress look), and then murderous. Numerous female characters developed a huge fandom (Shego in particular; Kim's mom ended up igniting a huge new generation of MILF lovers as well). It was one of the first shows I watched once I got the internet that was afflicted by huge amounts of "Shipping"- Kim/Ron was intensely popular (and finally became canon, MANY years in), while Kim/Shego gained such popularity that the producers OPENLY APPEALED TO THOSE FANS, tossing in little in-jokes and sexy looks in freeze-frame.

Both the supervillain stuff and the school stuff were great- Bonnie was as generic a character as they come, but the show made good use out of her (and showed the real reaction someone like that would get in a school). Both Ron & Kim developed crushes... on other characters. Until it became obvious that their platonic relationship was something more- and it was CUTE.

It was catchphrasey as all hell, too. Kim's "What's the sitch?" would show up in the opening, and be a once-per-episode thing until they toned it down. Ron's "BOO-YAH!" would be used ironically, but occasionally seriously in "Crowning Moments of Awesome". Drakken never remembering Ron's name would be a running gag. Kim would use Valley Girl-esque phrases like "No big!" and "SO not the drama!". Drakken's "YOU THINK YOU'RE ALL THAT... BUT YOU'RE NOT!" was another big one.

My Own Relationship With The Show:
-I was a HUGE fan of this series in college- having caught a few episodes at my friend's house, I immediately fell in love. However, tragedy struck- I was living in rez, and so I DIDN'T GET THE DISNEY CHANNEL! This meant that the only way I could watch the show was the singular episode that aired every Saturday on Disney's "One Saturday Morning" block on ABC- a horrible occurrence, since the Disney Channel aired 1-2 episodes PER DAY. I trundled by with DVDs, visiting my friend, etc., and eventually watched most of the good episodes. Sadly, though, the apex of my fandom came and went in this state, and so by the time I finally moved out and got my own place, I'd largely stopped going out of my way to see episodes. I still DID watch, but recording stuff wasn't easy at the time (this was the "cable box before PVR" era, so you had to record the VCR AND the cable box), and it was only later that I'd seen most of the remainder (including the series finale). That Disney is REALLY BAD about releasing shows to DVD only made it worse.

But yeah, I was an immense fan of the series when it first came on. Obsessively watching it, finding out all sorts of stuff online, and more. Not as big as I was into Sailor Moon in high school, but damn close- just ask anyone I used to chat with around that time how often I bugged them to watch it. ENDLESSLY, I did so- a couple begrudgingly admitted that it was good, but I was mostly alone in my love for it. My friends (brothers who lived together) were into it as well, but I could only turn the conversation to the show SO MANY TIMES before they desperately tried to change the subject.

This begs the question: why take so long to build it? And man... I really couldn't tell you, short of the intimidation factor of building a show I haven't seen in years, largely doing research by myself. Would I remember enough stuff? Can I do it accurately? Who knows? I also just kept putting it off, perhaps fearing the workload. God as my witness, I have an old "posting order" set up from the SECOND EDITION days of M&M. And I set up a list for 3e as well.

The Show Concept:
-The show is largely about Kim Possible herself getting hired on to do favors for people- mercenary work, effectively, largely based around "Someone stole my _____" or "Someone is threatening me", which inevitably involves the cheerleader and her friend Ron getting into a fight with a supervillain. The Rogues Gallery was somewhat large, but only a few names really mattered- Dr. Drakken the would-be mad scientist, his sarcastic sidekick Shego, Lord Monkey Fist the upper-crust ninja master, Duff Killigan the golf-playing killer, and Senor Senior Sr. & Jr.- a billionaire and his son who stuck so closely to supervillain cliches they had a literal book explaining them.

Kim, of course, was hyper-competent, smart, savvy and incredibly acrobatic ("Why did she have to be a CHEERLEADER? If she was on the Debate Team, I'd have vaporized her by now"- Drakken). Ron was less so in every way (being accident-prone enough that tearing his pants off using his grappling hook was a regular occurrence), but was often struck by dumb luck and more inner power than he knew. Her gadgets (such as the "Kimmunicator") were built by a 10-year-old homeboy tech genius named Wade. To keep her grounded somewhat (hard to be relatable when you have your own jet), she was driven or flown from place to place by former clients for whom she'd done favors (catchphrase: "It's the LEAST I could do after you saved my ____ from the ______" "No big!"). Her parents and siblings were all brilliant, but she still had to do schooling and such.

Since it's a comedy, the ludicrous premise is played off for laughs. The kids at school know about her career and barely even care- Bonnie even JUDGES HER for it, since it takes time away from the cheerleading team. Her parents are ridiculously cheerful and casual about her engaging with death-rays and kill-o-bots ("Will there be any boys?" "No dad, just rampaging killer robots" "Well, okay- as long as it's not a boy!"), and government agencies think nothing of just handing her classified information.

Sadly, there's a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE gap between the quality of Drakken/Shego episodes and episodes featuring any other bad guy- the show couldn't over-use them, but you can definitely feel the slog in Duff Killigan episodes, for example.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

THE ART STYLE:
-The show's distinctive art style (by the same guy who did the character designs for the Clerks TV series, and MAN was that obvious once I heard about it) is a big part of the appeal- the characters are made up of nice, smooth lines, with really exaggerated proportions- women are feminine and hourglass-shaped, with REALLY thick thighs and often fairly pronounced busts. Males are often either really big and burly or really scrawny. Various characters are humorous-looking (D.N.Amy's obese nerd frame is a big one), and when the girls are hot, they're REALLY hot. This is, in fact, one of the last cartoons targetted towards kids that featured lots of really attractive women- I recall most of the TV Shows after this featuring the modern, el-cheapo "CalArts Style" (a new pejorative for bean-head character animation), with deliberately grotesque or plain characters (like Adventure Time and it's scrawny, flat-chested, line-mouthed women; or Steven Universe and its gross-looking fat lips on half the cast).

The one thing that I've never seen elsewhere is the distinctive "thick upper lip" that nearly every female character has. It's REALLY hard to draw right, but it fits the show's style- seeming both feminine without being overpowering (if the BOTTOM lip matched it, the girls would look super bimbo-esque)- it allows the women to look pretty without being hyper-sexualized- almost nobody wears any lipstick, so they're believable as "Normal People" or Action Heroines in spite of having this big, pouty lip.

HUMOR:
A great example of the show's humor is when Kim & Ron go undercover at a dog show, and Ron suggests entering Rufus, his naked mole rat, as a "Peruvian Hairless". Kim derides the very idea, and only grows MORE annoyed when Ron pulls the old "Maybe THIS will change your mind" trick to the suspicious judge- "I don't think FIVE DOLLARS is going to make a difference". At which point the judge TAKES THE FIVE DOLLARS and is all "MMMMM YESSSS- the PERUVIAN HAIRLESS..." like it's a totally normal part of dog shows to do this.

Or when Dr. Drakken has found a Mind Control Chip, and is using it on Shego, so that she becomes a mindless drone instead of always back-talking him. Sending her on wild goose chases to amuse himself ("I was looking for a DO-DO BIRD!"), he's finally undone and the Chips are broken. Shego just pulls him aside "Just so you know, DOC- while I couldn't control my body, I was AWARE of everything that was happening!" "Uh- you, uh..." "DODGEBALL and DODOS!!?!?!? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT LISTENING TO YOU IS LIKE!?!! *immediately tears after him with her energy blasts*"

Another funny bit sees Ron (whilst crushing on Zita) stuck in a movie theatre, when Wade interrupts the show to appear on the big screen, getting Ron to be aware that Kim needs his help on a mission. But his dialogue ("Kim's WAITING for you!") makes the audience think it's some romantic gesture (Girl: "*gasp* she IS?!?), and when Ron runs off to find her, the entire theatre begins screaming and cheering while "Romantic Comedy" music plays. Like... once you're aware of the tropes they're mocking, it's REALLY amusing.

The Seniors and their whole "Play the Cliched Super-Villain" thing was terrific- I love how the hedonistic butthole junior Senior was actually the practical one, suggesting they just let things slide, or, you know, point the laser at the BODIES of their enemies and not the cliff above them. Monkey Fist and his Monkey Ninjas were a great gag that never got old- his seriousness played off well against his ridiculous nature.

THE SHIPPING:
-The show did a pretty good job of handling the "Shipping" aspects- it was actually one of my first introductions to a fandom in the midst of a Shipping War, as Kim/Ron was debated HEAVILY until it finally happened. I was part of... I forget what it was. One of those groups where you get daily e-mails, or all of them in a "Daily Digest". Those things. And one girl was your CLASSIC "Girl In A Fandom" stereotype, freaking out over people suggesting the pairing happen, going as far as to shout (electronically) "I'm at the point where I'm willing to see Kim and Ron DIE rather than enter into a relationship!". I mean, I'd heard of shipping for the first time with commentary over The X-Files when that show was first a thing, but this was my first time seeing it in the actual process.

However, by the time they did hook up, I was largely outside of the fandom itself, and so I never got any of the blowback. Just the occasional bit on TV Tropes, and notes from some on how Kim/Shego shipping was incredibly popular in smut & FanFic communities (I paid more attention to the former than the latter, as I despise FanFic, but FanArt continues to be rad :)).

I did like how the pairing was 100% platonic until fairly soon before they got together- the same episode with the "Moodulator" actually had bits where Ron confesses "It's not like I never THOUGHT about it before", which was our first inkling that something else was going on- he was afraid of Kim's aggressive intentions towards him (since she was being emotionally-controlled- he didn't know that, but could tell something was "off"). He'd seen Kim with her crush on Josh Mankey, and she'd helped him get together with Zita, so they obviously were quite platonic then... but their closeness kind of just led to things naturally happening in So The Drama, when Kim is in REAL danger, and Ron sees her fall for a guy who turns out to be a Drakken stooge. In the end, they arrive at the Junior Prom hand-in-hand- Bonnie, always Kim's rival, finds this HILARIOUS. "It... finally happened! She's dating that LOSER! KIM POSSIBLE AND RON STOPPABLE ARE DATING!!"- she smugly crosses her arms and awaits the laughter of her fellow students... who explode with cheers as Kim & Ron have their first dance as a couple, and finally kiss to end the series.

The show is then brought back for an extra 22 episodes, which sees the travails of their relationship. It was handled well, I thought- Kim is upset when the other girls tease her about Ron's lack of athletic accomplishments- she's unaffected, but Ron is upset enough to try football (naturally, cheating to win- he uses a Battle Suit that of course gets controlled by a super-villain). Later, a lonely, insecure Bonnie freaks out over being single (her trophy boyfriend had moved away), and latches onto Ron, figuring him an easy target. Kim is OUTRAGED ("WHAT? IS? THE? SITCH!!!!"), stomping towards them... and in a cute moment, Ron pulls the "H-hey, I was the kissEE not the kissER---" and Kim immediately interrupts him with "NO KIDDING!! It took you TWELVE STINKIN' YEARS to kiss ME!!" and jumps down Bonnie's throat for obviously throwing herself at Ron. A great subversion of what would be a tiresome full-episode-story on a lesser show.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

This is the original Changeling. Wow, what a weird costume! So 70s!

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm kinda wondering how the cartoon version of Kevin Sydney would stat up, too, though it'd probably just be the personality of the Exiles version, with powers closer to the comics version (but only morphing, no psychic powers)

Also, I really loved Kim Possible as a kid, but I can't remember that much of it now. I do remember Duff Kiligan ("THE WORLD'S MOST DANGEROUS GOLFER!") though, since that guy is just begging to be a Silver Age jobber. Plus one time he became a cyborg, which would probably happen to such a jobber in the 90s to make them more "EXTREME!"
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:47 am Image
Pictured; the exact moment I hit puberty.

yeah, Kim Possible was an amazing show, smart writing, cool action, legit comedy, and incredibly hot chicks. I was 10 when it started so I was the perfect age to watch it. The action and comedy appealed to the little boy that i was, the sexy assertive action chicks appealed to the teenage boy I was about to become.Early 2000s was a great time to be a teen, when cartoons weren't yet afraid to market sexy women to young boys nor too lazy to not draw all the characters with ambiguously gendered body types and stupidly simple face structures. I still remember the beach episode of Avatar, ah good times.
Ken

Re: Kim Possible (Series)

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:43 am The origin story, which I've never seen given in the show, is that she set up a website that boasted "I can do anything!", excepting babysitting jobs- instead, she was asked to engage in life or death situations, and, because this is a comedy, more or less ran with it.
The first Kim Possible 'movie' "A Sitch in Time" does show us her 'origin', such as it was. It's established that she's set up her website, and the first person who accesses it was trying to get the website "Team Impossible", but he was typing semi-blind and his toe slipped so he ended up at www.kimpossible.com instead of www.impossible.com . And Kim THOUGHT it was a baby-sitting gig until she got there.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Re: Kim Possible (Series)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:43 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:43 am The origin story, which I've never seen given in the show, is that she set up a website that boasted "I can do anything!", excepting babysitting jobs- instead, she was asked to engage in life or death situations, and, because this is a comedy, more or less ran with it.
The first Kim Possible 'movie' "A Sitch in Time" does show us her 'origin', such as it was. It's established that she's set up her website, and the first person who accesses it was trying to get the website "Team Impossible", but he was typing semi-blind and his toe slipped so he ended up at www.kimpossible.com instead of www.impossible.com . And Kim THOUGHT it was a baby-sitting gig until she got there.
Oh, neat. I'm just re-watching my DVDs now, and I hadn't got there yet :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The To-Build List:
Good Guys:
Kim Possible- She can do anything!
Ron Stoppable- He can't!
Mr. Dr. Possible- Rocket scientist. Obsessed with Kimmie and "boys".
Mrs. Dr. Possible- Brain surgeon. MILF. Occasionally embarrassing.
The Tweebs- Jim & Tim- preteen geniuses. Hoo-shah!
Wade- Kid genius.

The School:
Monique- Black Best Friend.
Bonnie- The Libby.
Mr. Barkin- Patrick Warburton.

Bad Guys:
Dr. Drakken- Would-be mad scientist.
Shego- Sarcastic sidekick with energy powers.
Lord Monkey Fist- Upper crust genetically-engineered ninja master.
Duff Killigan- Golf-Playing Scotsman.
BeBe- Killer Robot.
Motor Ed- Seriously!
Camille Leon- Morphing Thief.
Andrena Lynn- Freaky!
DNAmy- Crazy geneticist looking for love.
Dr. Dementor- Drakken's rival.
Senor Senior Sr. & Jr.- A bored billionaire playing villain for kicks, and his hedonistic, yet more practical, son.
Aviarius- Invader Zim.

Team Go:
Hego
Mego
Wego
Jabroniville

Kim Possible (Character)

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

KIM POSSIBLE
Played By:
Christy Carlson Romano
Role: Teen Heroine, Action Girl
PL 8 (142)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+15)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Expertise (Cheerleader) 6 (+12) -- Uses Agility
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+5)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 6 (+10) ("Puppy Dog Pout")
Stealth 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Reputation- Reliable), Connected, Contacts ("It's the LEAST I could do..."), Daze (Deception), Defensive Attack, Equipment 4 (Kimmunicator- Communication & Multitool w/ Wheeled Remote Control Setting, Hairdryer- Grappling Hook, Lipstick- Laser), Evasion, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Jack-Of-All-Trades, Move-By Action, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 2, Takedown 2, Taunt, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (Ron Stoppable)- The two were platonic best friends for years, with Kim constantly perturbed at Ron's catchphrases and inability to take things seriously. However, as the years went by, she realized just how much she cared for him- the two finally hooked up romantically in So The Drama.
Relationship (Parents)- Kim loves her parents, but finds them very embarrassing- especially her mom, who relates baby stories in public.
Relationship (The Tweebs)- Kim's younger brothers relentlessly prank her, or cause destruction with their inventions.
Relationship (Josh Mankey)- Kim has a crush on the frost-haired, dewey-eyed Josh Mankey for the first season. Unusually, she is shy and nervous around him, being unable to make her feelings clear.
---
Responsibility (Pressure)- Kim constantly attempts to excel at everything, and is nearly always working at some project. When trapped in her body, Ron is overwhelmed by all the pressure.
Disabled (Bad Driver)- Kim, despite being multi-talented, can never quite master driving.
---
Enemy (Dr. Drakken)- Drakken is Kim's biggest recurring nemesis- a delusional madman with aspirations at ruling the world.
Enemy (Shego)- The competent, close-fighting Shego is Kim's closest rival- they are closely matched physically and mentally, and Shego loves tormenting "Kimmie". Though the two became great friends when Shego was brainwashed into being good.
Enemy (Other Villains)- Kim's Rogues Gallery includes Senor Senior Sr. & Jr., Duff Killigan, Lord Monkey Fist, DNAmy, and more.
Rivalry (Bonnie Rockwaller)- Bonnie is Kim's rival for the position of head cheerleader, and constantly passive-aggressively tries to bring Kim down.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 30 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 17 (142)

-Kim, often called "KP" for short, is our main heroine, and a multitasking jack-of-all-trades with endless agility and inventiveness. She can mow down henchmen with ease, and even avoid deathtraps with a casual disregard for their cliches. In a lot of shows this would make for an incredibly boring heroine, but the show basically makes a joke out of how she's doing all this stuff, and is so incredible. It helps that the show is almost pure comedy, the villains are utter buffoons, and she has serious rivals in her personal (Bonnie) and professional (Shego) lives. There are bits where Bonnie puts the screws to Kim over her lack of athlete boyfriend (every other cheerleader is dating a high-profile athlete at the school; Bonnie is naturally ribbing Kim for only dating RON). Never mind Shego's raw power and ferocity. Her twin brothers also torment her constantly, and she dramatically struggles with teen idol-looking Josh Mankey. This stuff, and the fact that she's a tiny teenage girl, keep her a bit "grounded" instead of making her a simple Mary Sue.

-Kim is athletic, defensive, and hyper-competent, usually mowing down much larger minions. Generally, her focus is dodging and parrying- she backflips, somersaults and avoids with the best of them, and is very rarely seen being knocked out.

Kim Possible's Battle Suit:
-A periodic element of the show was the "Battle Suit", which was given a pretty cool-looking white & blue appearance, and ramped up Kim's fighting capabilities. Since it showed up in the Series Finale, it was seen as a good "cap off" to the series- given Kim an extra bad-ass moment to end things... but then the show got renewed. They still used it periodically, but the writers eventually found a reason to NOT simply use it every time (as it was so powerful, it made no sense NOT to always have it)- Professor Dementor remote-controlled it to have Ron (who was wearing it to improve his football game) attack Kim, and they retired it for a time to work the kinks out.
-It was repaired enough for when Kim used it against Warmonga the alien warrior- this time, it now includes Stealth Mode. However, it was battle damaged in this struggle, again keeping it out of use once again, until Kim later started field-testing it in non-vital missions. Its final use was seen when Kim's cousin was kidnapped by Dementor in order to grab the suit- Cousin Larry actually managed to grab a hold of it, using the Suit to beat up Dementor's minions.

"Battle Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [32]
Enhanced Strength 2 (4)
Protection 2 (2)
Speed 3 (16 mph) (3)
Leaping 2 (30 feet) (2)
"Grappling Hook" Movement 1 (Swinging) (2)

"Gauntlet Hand" Deflect 10 (Extras: Reflect) (20)
Force Field 8 (Feats: Precise) (Flaws: Immobile -2) (3)
Concealment 2 (Visuals) (4)
-- (40 points)

-The suit effectively boosts Kim's PL by 1, and makes her a fairly dominant fighter for that universe. The Force Field is very strong, but Warmonga's powered up Battle Staff weapon destroyed it in a big hurry.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Gotta love the KP villain gallery.

Drakken: Despite being Kim's most often seen and remembered foe he's portrayed as a rather pathetic adversary and person in general. Like an even less talented and sympathetic dr Doofenschmirtz, he's kinda stupid (out side of tech skills), very petty, constantly in debt (super villainy being something of a career choice in Kim Possible with it's own villain market called Hench Co.), and seen as less of a scientists compared to all the other scientist in the series. In fact a lot of his schemes involve stealing tech from other scientists to use for evil and often fail partly due to him not really understanding how it works. He's still got some inventions, and can occationally launch some rather cunning plans, but for the most part he's treated like a joke. He is actually a villainous foil to ron, similar to how Shego is to Kim, something that gets played with often with how he has to try and deal with drakken until kim finishes with Shego.

Shego: The villain who stole the show, everyone remembers Shego, even people who never watched the show remember Shego. She's the much more competent and far more threatening part of the duo despite being Drakken's underling. Humorously she's usually the one running the show on the more tactical level, even if she tends to follow Drakken's overall because he pays her. Due to her mercenary nature she's even given a few episodes to be a villain outside of Drakkens schemes showing off just how good she can be without her employer's bumbling and letting her play off the other weirdo villains of the series such as the Seniors. And of course the Sitch in Time Movie, where she realizes her boss has actually acquired a powerful magical artifact that she could make use of without him and quickly backstabs them to ruthlessly abuse it to nearly concur the planet by using basic pattern recognition and common sense in how to take out Kim Possible as easy as possible.

Monkey Fist: Ron's arch enemy hilariously enough, a rich sophisticated martial master who sees the clutzy slacker as his greatest adversary. The first few times he's defeated by more deus ex machina through Ron's bumbling, but as time went on Magical Monkey Kung Fu was expanded on and Ron actually got a bit better at using it and began to take on Monkey Fist on a more even playing field for a few encounters, where the chips are down and he mans up.

The Seniors: Two of the richest people on earth, Senor Senior Sr and Senor Senior Junior, who became super villains when Ron kept talking about how incredibly villainous their house was and other bond villain tropes while they hired Kim for a security check. Being so stupidly rich that they could do anything they wanted and were bored with just living lavishly (or at least Sr was), they turned to villainy as a hobby. Sr, as a real hobbiest insists on doing things "right" in how he sets up villainous traps and schemes, making sure to follow the tropes to the letter while his son, Junior, who doesn't want to be a villain but is roped into it by his dad wanting some quality bonding time, just insists they do it pragmatically to which Senior insists he's missing the point. And if you think about it, he is. They don't really have anything to gain from being villains and as such the very act of villainy is the goal rather than a method to achieve something like the others in the show like Shego or Drakken do. The two are often the most cordial to Kim and Ron, treating the encounter and sicking giant death machines on the two like friendly game.