Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Element Lad! Trainees! Wildfire! Dawnstar!)

Post by Ares »

Yeah, there's no real way to look at Shikari and not go "She's a bug version of Dawnstar", right down to having an attraction to Reboot Wildfire. They did do some things to differentiate Dawny and Shikari, certainly, but it's pretty obvious.

Still, when updating the Legion I'd likely combine Shikari and Dawnstar together, taking the best of both. In keeping with the Thanagarian origin update, Dawnstar would keep the upgraded powers Shikari had like True Sight, and her uniform would include some collapsible body armor and maybe a few collapsible weapons to make her more combat effective.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

I never cared for Dawnstar. She was pretty dull. But Shikari was cool. Again, I liked the more alien members of the Legion (I think Wildfire counts, too - he's no longer human, at any rate).
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

The name Shikari reminds me if Marvel's Eric the Red's true name, (Davan) Shikari.

Hmmmn, I sense some interplay...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Goldar wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:59 pm The name Shikari reminds me if Marvel's Eric the Red's true name, (Davan) Shikari.

I keep expecting her to start singing about her hips...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
proditor

Post by proditor »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:32 pm
Goldar wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:59 pm The name Shikari reminds me if Marvel's Eric the Red's true name, (Davan) Shikari.

I keep expecting her to start singing about her hips...
Well, at least we know it'll be the unvarnished truth.
Jabroniville

XS

Post by Jabroniville »

XS (Jenni Ognats)
Created By:
Tom McCraw & Jeff Moy
First Appearance: Legionnaires #0 (Oct. 1994)
Home Planet: Earth
Origin of Powers: Inherited from Barry Allen
Eras: Reboot Only
Relationships: Crushes on Cosmic Boy & Mon-El, Dated Magno
Role: Legacy Character (to The Flash), Iconic Character (to her era)
PL 9 (145)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10/12 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Archaeology) 5 (+6)
Perception 3 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+5)
Technology 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"The Speed Force"
Speed 15 (64,000 mph) Linked to Quickness 10 [25]
Enhanced Advantages 8: Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Evasion, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 3 [8]
Movement 2 (Water-Walking, Wall-Crawling) (Flaws: Limited to While Running) [2]
Enhanced Fighting 2 [4]
Enhanced Dodge 4 [4]

"Speed Feats"
"Mass Attack" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable on 4 Ranks +2) (11) -- [14]
  • AE: "Spin Hands Really Fast" Deflect 10 (Flaws: Limited to Physical Objects- Not Energy) (5)
  • AE: "Rapid Attack" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Multiattack 4) (7)
  • AE: Movement (Dimensional Travel 2, Time Travel 2) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (4)
Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Rapid Attack +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Mass Attack +4 Area (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +17

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications: 
Responsibility (Barry Allen's Legacy)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 12 (145)

-XS is a curious little addition to the "Reboot" Legion, in that she's another futuristic descendent of Barry "The Flash" Allen, in one of those super-complicated backstories that it's really just best not to go into. I DID appreciate how occasionally writers would use the Legion books to tell mini stories of what the inspirations of the various characters were, or whether or not the major heroes had any descendants (like Laurel Kent or Jenni here)- since it was a "Superman" book, it rarely featured other heroes in any context, so seeing another one was nice.

-Jenni Ognats is the daughter of Dawn Allen (one of the Tornado Twins- Barry Allen's children), but was kidnapped by the Dominators as a child, and later developed powers saving her father's life. This being the future (Barry and his wife Iris had moved there because reasons), she then joined the Legion of Super-Heroes. Initially quite hesitant and fearful, she developed crushes on Cosmic Boy and M'Onel, but later dated Magno.

-On a mission in the past, she befriended her cousin Bart "Impulse" Allen, but soon returned to her proper timeline. She had her moments in the sun here & there, like, oh, pretty much EVERY Legionnaire ever, judging by the Hero History & Wikipedia articles I've been reading on everybody. She, along with most of the other "Reboot"-only Legionnaires, was wiped out of continuity by weirdness, and in general it's best NOT to deal with Flash Family history these days. Case in point: It was determined by Geoff Johns that her family came about in the Post-Infinite Crisis version of the Legion, not the "Reboot" one, so Jenni was now in THAT continuity instead. And Jenni was super-aged to young adulthood like Impulse was, and helps bring him back in Legion of Three Worlds.

-XS is a Mini-Flash in nearly every way, with less Advantages, Skills or Abilities, but still retaining the expensive Super-Speed power-set. Though like MOST super-heroic concepts utilized by Legionnaires (Shrinking, Growing, Super-Strength), it's boosted by the addition of a Flight Ring, allowing her to do something even most FLASHES can't. Still one of the weaker Legionnaires, but Speedsters have a tendency to be nasty with their Rapid Attack abilities, and it boosts her to PL 8.5 Defense, PL 8 Offense.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

XS is also a great example of why the Legionnaires/SW6 costumes work so great. It's clearly customized to fit her characterization and power-set (running shoes, short-sleeves, shorts, Flash-inspired chest insignia) and yet it is still easily identified as part of the Legion.
scc

Post by scc »

Like I mentioned before I don't know much about the LOSH. Though thanks to the internet and sites like these I know more than I ever did. I remember seeing Dawnstar on a cover when I was visiting a comic book store when I was young and even though I knew nothing about her the image stuck (I can't imagine why). I remember me and my friend wrote our own comics which ripped off a lot from the X-men. My Storm homage (named Tempest) in my mind was basically Dawnstar with her outfit without the wings. Why mess with perfection.
proditor

Post by proditor »

I really liked XS. She was insanely powerful, but so underconfident. And they sold it pretty well. If it hadn't been for Cos basically giving her a pep-rally speech, she'd have washed out. It was a nice Peter Parker type of characterization for her, and showed off why Cosmic Boy is considered one of the quintessential Legion leaders.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:35 pm XS is also a great example of why the Legionnaires/SW6 costumes work so great. It's clearly customized to fit her characterization and power-set (running shoes, short-sleeves, shorts, Flash-inspired chest insignia) and yet it is still easily identified as part of the Legion.
Xs was also one of my faves from the Archie Era. Regarding costumes and your comment above, Umbra (Shadow Lass) seemed to take that a little far from concept though.

Hey Jab, I'm wondering if you'll ever touch on Lori Morning? Top right corner of the image below.
(That`s a bit of a joke on my part - she uses the H Dial)

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Umbra/Shadow Lass, Thunder, Monstress, Sensor, Gates, Mon-El/Valor, and Laurel Kent are the ones that stray the furthest from the "uniform" of the Archie Legion. Sensor and Gates get a pass due to radically different anatomy (and they still come pretty close). Mon-El and Thunder had to stick close to a pretty iconic look from their Legacy fore-bearer (and Thunder still fits in, Mon-El always looks like a doofus in a marching band uniform)... But, yeah, I cannot explain away Shadow Lass's bathing suit or Laurel's super-poncho.

(Andromeda/Laurel Gand's "Space Nun" look was god-awful, but her orange-star-field loincloth design rocked!)
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I loved Andromada's orange and star-field costume!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:11 am I loved Andromada's orange and star-field costume!
Yeah, I really like that one. Unique but iconic.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Bladewind wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:26 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:35 pm XS is also a great example of why the Legionnaires/SW6 costumes work so great. It's clearly customized to fit her characterization and power-set (running shoes, short-sleeves, shorts, Flash-inspired chest insignia) and yet it is still easily identified as part of the Legion.
Xs was also one of my faves from the Archie Era. Regarding costumes and your comment above, Umbra (Shadow Lass) seemed to take that a little far from concept though.

Hey Jab, I'm wondering if you'll ever touch on Lori Morning? Top right corner of the image below.
(That`s a bit of a joke on my part - she uses the H Dial)

I don't think I caught her in my lists. I can look her up when I get home on Sunday.

PS almost half the cosplay at the Calgary Expo is of Belle or Daenarys.
Jabroniville

Rond Vidar

Post by Jabroniville »

ROND VIDAR, GREEN LANTERN OF EARTH
Created By:
Jim Shooter, Mort Weisinger & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #349 (Oct. 1966)
Home Planet: Earth
Origin of Powers: Got a Spiffy Ring
Eras: Original, Reboot
Relationships: None
Role: Science Genius, Legacy Character (to earlier GLs), Final Green Lantern
PL 12 (216)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Science) 8 (+14)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 8 (+14)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Smash, Lionheart, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Ultimate Will Save

Powers:
"Oan Green Lantern Ring" (Flaws: Removable) [111]
(Feats: Restricted- Overcomes Great Fear, Unbreakable)

Create 13 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Impervious 13, Movable 12) (53) -- (77)
  • Dynamic AE: Blast 14 (Feats: Precise, Penetrating 8) (38)
  • Dynamic AE: "Multi-Blast" Blast 11 (Feats: Penetrating 5) (Extras: Multiattack) (39)
  • Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (32)
  • Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (32)
  • Dynamic AE: Snare 12 (Feats: Reversible) (37)
  • Dynamic AE: Snare 12 (Feats: Reversible) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range) (37)
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 12 (24)
  • Dynamic AE: Immunity 7 (Heat, Cold, Pressure, Radiation, Vacuum, Suffocation 2) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, 30ft. Burst, Ranged) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: "Boosted Field" Force Field 6 (Extras: Impervious 15, Affects Others 12) (34)
  • Dynamic AE: "Flashlight" Environment 1 (Light) (2)
  • Dynamic AE: "Ring Sensors" Senses 7 (Detect Energy & Life- Ranged & Analytical, Communication Link- Central Power Battery) (7)
  • Dynamic AE: Communication (Electronic) 5 (Flaws: Green Lanterns Only after 3 ranks) (18)
Immunity 8 (Poison, Heat, Cold, Pressure, Vacuum, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (8)
Flight 9 (1,000 mph (18)
Movement 3 (Space Travel 2, Environmental Adaptation- Zero Gravity) (6)

"Standard Force Field" Force Field 4 (Feats: Selective) (Extras: Impervious 7) (12)
"Universal Translator" Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) (8)
Enhanced Advantages 6: Quick Change, Equipment 5- Green Lantern Database (6)
Features 1: Can Change Clothing (1)
-- (136 points)

"Son of Universo" Immunity 1 (Universo's Hypnotism) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blast +9 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Multi-Blast +9 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Area Blasts +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Snare +9 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Area Snare +12 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+8 Standard Field, +14 Full Field, +4-11 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +10

Complications:
Power Loss (Will)- Green Lantern Rings depend upon the Will of their wielder. If Rond fails a Will Save (such as from being intimidated or mentally-screwed with), he will drop Constructs and Force Fields.
Power Loss (Yellow)- A "Yellow Impurity" forces Green Lanterns to make a Will Save to overcome their Ring's inability to work against the colour Yellow.
Power Loss (Out of Energy)- Power Rings must be recharged via their Lanterns occasionally, and will run out of power after extended use.
Power Loss (High Levels of Power)- Green Lanterns must pass Will Saves to bring their power effects any higher than their natural Will Save +2 (in Rond's case, 12). This includes Blasts, Move Object & Force Fields.
Enemy (Universo)- Vidar's father is Universo, a super-villain, and former Lantern himself.
Responsibility (Banned From Earth)- The Corps have been banned from Earth after the actions of the last Lantern of Sector 2814- Universo.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 112 / Defenses: 15 (216)

-Rond Vidar is an older character reflecting DC's history by being a Green Lantern in the Legion's time period- though he started off as merely a genius scientist who saved the Legion from his evil father, Universo. He was eventually recruited into the Corps- something he kept secret from the Legion, since Green Lanterns were barred from Earth following the actions of the last one from that Space Sector (Universo himself). He hooked up with Andromeda (lucky bastard) and retired from the GLC after his ring was destroyed fighting Mordru.

-He showed up in the "Reboot" era as a time-travel researcher with no mention of his prior backstory (Universo was different in this continuity). This also let the artists indulge in their fetish for Doctor Who, as he wore various costumes worn by some of the Doctors. He was brought back for the post-Infinite Crisis "Unboot", but got skooshed by Superboy-Prime and the Legion of Super-Villains, valiantly holding his own for a long time until the other Legionnaires escaped. His ring returned to the last Guardian- Sodam Yat, who returned to action and became just another guy in the fold.

-My GLs are sorta like the DCA ones, but I have to indulge myself and throw a dozen minor Alt-Effects in there because they use so very many in the comics! Rather than limiting them to their Will Saves in power, I throw in a thing that forces them to make a Will Save to go anywhere past their Will rating (plus 2, since this creates some gigantic Will Saves, which I don't like in most characters) in rank. This means that Rond Vidar's Blasts are a mere +12 unless he rolls above a "10" on a d20, which isn't TOO hard, but can somewhat limit him. This (and the fact that many of the Force Field ranks are hidden inside the Array, so you can't go all-out on Defense all the time) to me reflects the way that DC's Lanterns (especially Rookies) are often easily blown up by villains with one-shot attacks, but veterans are more capable. Vidar is PL 12, just a bit below the Earth Lanterns like John, Kyle, Guy & Hal, who I'd all probably build around PL 13-14.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.