Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Shock

Re: Jab's Builds! (Blink! Black Tom Cassidy! Black Abbott! The Beast!)

Post by Shock »

So, how spoilery are the Invincible builds going to be? Because it's one of the books I always wait for trades on and I want to know whether I'm going to be able to read these or not.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm So, how spoilery are the Invincible builds going to be? Because it's one of the books I always wait for trades on and I want to know whether I'm going to be able to read these or not.
Oh geez- like, hella spoiler-y. How far are you up to in the story? That sucks that you probably won't be able to read them :(.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I'm cheap and usually wait for sales on Comixology. I haven't started the End of all Things yet. But I love some of the characters so I may risk it
Ken

Post by Ken »

For me, Hank McCoy epitomizes the insane contradiction at Marvel about mutants. One of the reasons why I think the X-Men are better on film is because, in the films, the X-Men don't share the universe with dozens of other types of super beings.

The Beast, when with the X-Men, is hated because he's a MUTANT, and MUTANTS are hated. But, as an Avenger, he can go hit the clubs with Wonder man as his wingman, and can pick up half a dozen women at the same time. Suddenly, no one cares if he's a mutant.

And who is it that is publicizing the origins of heroes IN UNIVERSE?

Sooo, big beefy guy, looks like a really buff surfer, walks around speaking in ye Olde English, is immensely strong, can control the weather, and claims to be a god. And people accept this as fact. It doesn't occur to anyone to consider that this might be a really powerful MUTANT who's gone insane? I mean, yes, we as the omniscient reader know that Thor is a god. But in a world where one subclass of super beings is particularly hated, how does the average citizen know who's who?

As J. Jonah Jameson ever accused Spider-Man of being a MUTANT? JJJ hates Spider-Man. He wants other people to hate Spider-Man. And it's not like the average person on the street in the MU knows that Spider-Man was bitten by a radioactive spider. And even if they did hear that, would they believe it? It sounds silly. It sounds like a cover story of a closeted MUTANT.

Clint Barton's archery skill: MUTANT

Bruce Banner surviving a G-Bomb blast: MUTANT (with terrifying side effects)

Nick Fury staying 45 years old for 50 years: MUTANT

Captain America, the result of an not quite repeatable experiment, OR government cover-up of him being a MUTANT?

But the Beast, and to a lesser degree the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, basically prove that the X-Men are going about things all wrong. Being militant about "we belong to this subclass of super-humans, accept us" doesn't make people accept them. Using your super powers to help people, fight villains, and be a super-hero and not make a fuss about being part of the hated subclass and people accept you.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:19 pm For me, Hank McCoy epitomizes the insane contradiction at Marvel about mutants. One of the reasons why I think the X-Men are better on film is because, in the films, the X-Men don't share the universe with dozens of other types of super beings.

The Beast, when with the X-Men, is hated because he's a MUTANT, and MUTANTS are hated. But, as an Avenger, he can go hit the clubs with Wonder man as his wingman, and can pick up half a dozen women at the same time. Suddenly, no one cares if he's a mutant.

Sooo, big beefy guy, looks like a really buff surfer, walks around speaking in ye Olde English, is immensely strong, can control the weather, and claims to be a god. And people accept this as fact. It doesn't occur to anyone to consider that this might be a really powerful MUTANT who's gone insane? I mean, yes, we as the omniscient reader know that Thor is a god. But in a world where one subclass of super beings is particularly hated, how does the average citizen know who's who?

As J. Jonah Jameson ever accused Spider-Man of being a MUTANT? JJJ hates Spider-Man. He wants other people to hate Spider-Man. And it's not like the average person on the street in the MU knows that Spider-Man was bitten by a radioactive spider. And even if they did hear that, would they believe it? It sounds silly. It sounds like a cover story of a closeted MUTANT.

Captain America, the result of an not quite repeatable experiment, OR government cover-up of him being a MUTANT?

But the Beast, and to a lesser degree the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, basically prove that the X-Men are going about things all wrong. Being militant about "we belong to this subclass of super-humans, accept us" doesn't make people accept them. Using your super powers to help people, fight villains, and be a super-hero and not make a fuss about being part of the hated subclass and people accept you.
The thing is,ken,is that when your on an Avengers team(really ANY Avengers team),the populace of the Marvel Universe pretty much accepts you regardless of what "race/species" you are.Why do you think jolly Jonah never went after them until they "Officially" put Spider-Man on the team (and immediately lost)?

As for Hank's "pot years",you also have to remember that,during his time as a member they still had Tony(Iron Man)Stark and "the other Hank" Hank (i think it was Goliath about then)Pym,two of the smartest men on the planet in their fields(which happen to be Hank's fields).The writer's probably thought to explore his characterization a little and see what came of it,hence his Bromance with Simon.....
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hank's Avengers/Defenders run seemed largely absent of anti-Mutant stuff for whatever reason- later eras seem to Re-acknowledge his mutant status, as it's often an issue for the Maximoff kids

However, it's also established that Hank is probably the most popular mutant- the Sidney Poitier of his kind. Charismatic, jovial and good-natured instead of moody. He still fits into that world.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ken wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:19 pm For me, Hank McCoy epitomizes the insane contradiction at Marvel about mutants. One of the reasons why I think the X-Men are better on film is because, in the films, the X-Men don't share the universe with dozens of other types of super beings.

I don't understand the recent militant stance that certain mutant characters (Cyclops for example) have taken, as I understood it for most of their existence the X-Men were trying to convince people that mutants weren't a different species, they're humans born with an added gene (akin being born with red hair) now though for some reason they all seem to think they're a separate species and will go to extreme lengths to ensure people are born with mutations (such as drawing the Phoenix to Earth which could have destroyed the planet) and fighting the Avengers when they quite sensibly tried to stop them. That whole Avengers vs X-Men was so stupid IMHO, Cyclops, and the X-Men as a whole, were literally willing to risk the lives of every person on the planet just to jump start them mutant gene, something that was completely unnecessary (the same number of people were being born they just weren't going to develop potentially dangerous/monstrous mutations)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

M4C8 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 pm I don't understand the recent militant stance that certain mutant characters (Cyclops for example) have taken, as I understood it for most of their existence the X-Men were trying to convince people that mutants weren't a different species, they're humans born with an added gene (akin being born with red hair) now though for some reason they all seem to think they're a separate species and will go to extreme lengths to ensure people are born with mutations (such as drawing the Phoenix to Earth which could have destroyed the planet) and fighting the Avengers when they quite sensibly tried to stop them. That whole Avengers vs X-Men was so stupid IMHO, Cyclops, and the X-Men as a whole, were literally willing to risk the lives of every person on the planet just to jump start them mutant gene, something that was completely unnecessary (the same number of people were being born they just weren't going to develop potentially dangerous/monstrous mutations)
Yea Cyclops characterization for the last several years has been atrocious. This is the man who was raised off the dream that humans and mutants can live together in peace. And for him to switch gears and turn the mutants into an army at his command spits in the face of that dream.
Formerly luketheduke86
Thorpocalypse

Re: AIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 am Image

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW???

F*@#ING TERRIFYING CHOCOLATE MAN
Created By:
Satan
*shudder*

The horror...*shudder*...the horror...

Seriously, what the F was Axe thinking?!?!?!
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Ken

Re: AIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Post by Ken »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pmSeriously, what the F was Axe thinking?!?!?!
That the ladies like the taste of chocolate. Even on their men. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVTQHiAQRA
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

The Pacific Overlords

Post by Jabroniville »

THE PACIFIC OVERLORDS:
-The whole "Pacific Overlords" arc in Avengers West Coast was quite weird in that it went on for a long time given that the villains were basically a team of Jobbers whose sole point was to form their own country of criminals and summon a Generic Otherworldly Demon into our world. The team was created by Roy & Dann Thomas, and were the minions of Doctor Demonicus, a villain from Marvel's Godzilla series (whose mission was to create other Kaiju for the G-Man to fight). He basically used a magical Macguffin Meteorite that mutated subjects into super-humans, and using it, he gathered a group of freaks and super-villains to his side once Godzilla's book was a thing of the past.

These guys are baseline nobodies for the most part- essentially the embodiment of Villainous Mooks. Most are based around a single concept, many have obvious powers or deformities (flames, giant metal teeth, large size, etc.), and there's very little personality among most of them. But that's what makes them a great set of Jobber Villains.

The only reason I know most of these guys is that I had TWO comics from when I was a kid (in 1991, I would've been ten years old) featuring this squad- one when Iron Man & Wasp are owned by Irezumi, who uses weird Tattoo Powers to defeat them. I brought this (one of the few comics I had at the time) to school, where of course the cover got torn off, but I got a new copy at the 2011 Calgary Comic Expo, so it's all good (jesus, that was seven years ago, now).

The Overlords were a group of Jobbers, but did pretty well in their first couple of appearances- New Villain Stink was a MAJOR factor in '80s & '90s comics, you see. These books feature now-outlandish things like Iron Man being one-shotted by a tattooed doofus and WONDER MAN of all people being KO'd by an idiot like Jawbreaker. By their final appearance, they're basically being knocked out en masse by The Avengers. In the final issue, the Overlords are crushed when the vibrations of Ulysses Klaw (hired by Demonicus to aide the Overlords) destroy the island nation of Demonica, flattening the entire crew. None would be seen again, save when Demonicus appeared years later in The Raft prison, and as part of The Hood's army- it's presumed that the other members are deceased.

Some interesting bits to the overall arc:
* Steven Butler draws fairly well, with art that's sorta like a proto-Image Era thing- there's Ron Lim-esque shading. It's a bit hit-or-miss at times, though. His Tigra is REALLY nice (contrast to earlier AWC artist Al Milgrom, who drew her with big pointy cat teeth), and he actually draws her in human form for a sec- proof that I'm not a furry is that I find her hotter WITHOUT the fur & tail :). Of course, without the fur, she's just some chick in a bikini, so the fur needs to stick around.
* There's a different artist in almost every issue featuring the team- Butler, David Ross, a pair of artists in #70, etc. They're ALL suffering from a lack of stability, though many pictures are well-drawn. Ross does okay for the most part, but his Spider-Woman is kind of "lippy", making her look less attractive.
* Funny thing about power levels: Tigra is challenged, and nearly KILLED, but a group of mere Mooks, one of whom has a knife. In another scene, a mere Yakuza has her dead to rights with a gun. Not many super-heroes falter under such odds, especially if they have honest-to-goodness SUPER-POWERS. She must've had a boost in recent years, seeing as how she can easily defeat Vermin, who's a challenge for Spider-Man. Or maybe comics are... *GASP* INCONSISTENT.
* Kuroko calls Jawbreaker "Baka!" YEARS before most comics-readers would hear that in early anime "Subs".
* Tigra for some reason assumes that Irezumi's blast and a heavy piece of machinery falling are all it takes to kill Iron Man. ...Seriously?
* Roy Thomas adds a bunch of bits about Japan into things- he mentions that The Pacific Overlords are named for "Pacific Overtures- a play about Japanese-American relations", and that Kyoto is the former capital of Japan (fun fact: I once got a point on a test or pop quiz in Middle School solely because I remembered that little tidbit from the comic).
* It's weird to read comics that I owned way back before I had many comics... I re-read these early ones A LOT, and it's easy to tell, because I can still remember minor bits and pieces, and chunks of dialogue that make little sense ("How big a dope -- do you think American's ARE, Tattoo?"- that doesn't make grammatic sense from what I can tell, and it bugged me even back then). Nowadays, I have to re-read comics from last month so I don't forget what the hell was going on. Odd things like Tigra's lower-lip jutting out weirdly on Page 24 of #72 stand out after twenty freaking years, which is crazy. THAT's how much I read this way back when.
* The Bullpen Bulletins page that's "written" by Aunt May always irked me- who the hell can read cursive that's two millimetres (I checked) high? That is INSANE.
* The more comics I read, the more I realize that no hero other than Spidey or Daredevil should have high Perception- sneak attacks ALWAYS WORK. Better than Mind Control, even.
* Huh, I'm still missing the end of the first arc (#74), where Demonicus gets his "new nation" (formed from lifting the ocean's bedrock up into an island) United Nations status, and kicks the Avengers out.
* Ross is still the artist for issues #93-95, and it is BUTT-UGLY art this time around. Not sure what happened, but his worst tendencies appear at the forefront, mixing Liefeldian proportions with less-interesting visuals. Not good.

Previous Builds:
Dec. 2014: https://roninarmy.com/threads/149-Jab-s ... #post59008
* A little over three years ago, in what was actually my first try at these guys in 3rd Edition! They somehow missed my entire ATT 3e thread!
April 2010: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 8d#p665676
* The 2nd Edition thread.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Dr. Demonicus

Post by Jabroniville »

DOCTOR DEMONICUS (Dr. Douglas Birely)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Tom Sutton
First Appearance: Godzilla #4 (Nov. 1977)
Role: Mad Scientist, Evil Geneticist
Group Affiliations: The Pacific Overlords
PL 7 (110)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 6 (+8)
Technology 6 (+13)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+11)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 10 (+12)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Expertise (History) 2 (+9)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+17) -- Flaws: Limited to Biology
Treatment 5 (+12)
Perception 1 (+3)
Insight 4 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+4)

Advantages: 
Equipment 10 (Base, Blaster +6), Inventor, Ranged Attack 4, Skill Mastery (Science), Ultimate Life Sciences

Equipment:
"Blaster" Blast 6 (12)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blaster +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Demonicus sought to gain his own country, and amass enormous power by making "Demonica" a world power like "Taiwan & Singapore".
Motivation (Raksasa)- Demonicus eventually fell under the thrall of Raksasa, a Demonic Intelligence hidden in the caverns beneath his new nation.
Prejudice (Freak)- Demonicus survived a near-lethal cancer (brought on by his exposure to the Lifestone), but at a tremendous cost- his face resembles his mask, with a horned forehead, and a mouth partially-covered in flesh.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 14 (110)

-Demonicus has odd origins, showing up as a S.H.I.E.L.D./Godzilla enemy in the Marvel Godzilla comic book series. His whole schtick was that he had some otherwordly Lifestone meteorite, which he used in tandem with his genius in genetics and radiation to form an army of super-monsters that were frequent enemies of the King of Monsters. When Godzilla's series was cancelled, Demonicus was transferred to an Avengers West Coast villain, threatening the team repeatedly with his own group of Morts, all with powers bestowed by his Lifestone energies. He eventually founded the island of "Demonica", earning nation-status by the United Nations, and booting the AWC off his land.

-This is a guy I always felt deserved a bigger push, but that's mostly because I thought his costume was AWESOME as a kid. All purple with a skull face and a giant cape- in my own "Fanfic"-style childhood stories of the Avengers, a Demonicus lookalike called "Dr. Skull Face" (never said I was original or particularly gifted back then) was their Big Bad, replacing the Red Skull as a Cap enemy and basically acting like Doctor Doom.

-Demonicus didn't have anywhere near the longevity though, and his entire group died around him in the final portion of his AWC run, as he allowed the Demon Raksasa to corrupt him (his face had turned all lumpy and horned), and had mind-controlled his team into loyalty- when Klaw's Sonic Blasts hit the island's crust, it slid back into the ocean. He was presumed dead for over a decade until he popped up as a background inmate on The Raft prison, and now he's a part of The Hood's gang. I have no idea why, though- he's never been remotely a physical powerhouse and has always been a scientist/mastermind type, so him being involved in mass battles just feels "off". Not that he's done anything other than peer in the background of group scenes at all times- I would bet actual money that the artist just scoured back-pages for random cool-looking guys and selected him based off of that- he wasn't the only dead guy to turn up alive in that one story.

-Demonicus is a PL 7 with a ton of scientific know-how (especially in the fields of Physical & Life Sciences, the latter of which he also has Ultimate Skill in) and a pretty good Blaster, but he's hardly a combatant. He's far better off behind the scenes, developing new henchmen (or gigantic supermonsters) and being a pain in the ass that way. He's smart enough to bestow a ton of powers onto different people, make Kaiju strong enough to challenge Godzilla, and build a giant super-drill that tossed magma to the surface of the ocean, creating a new island for himself to live on.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Ken wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:19 pm As J. Jonah Jameson ever accused Spider-Man of being a MUTANT? JJJ hates Spider-Man. He wants other people to hate Spider-Man. And it's not like the average person on the street in the MU knows that Spider-Man was bitten by a radioactive spider. And even if they did hear that, would they believe it? It sounds silly. It sounds like a cover story of a closeted MUTANT.
I don't think so. You can say a lot about JJJ (and it would all be spot-on), but for all his many and varied faults, he is not a racist. Jonah doesn't distrust Spider-Man because he might be a mutant, he distrusts Spider-Man because he's a vigilante who wears a mask.
Jabroniville

Jawbreaker

Post by Jabroniville »

JAWBREAKER (Tung Rapongan)
Created By:
Roy & Dann Thomas, Paul Ryan
First Appearance: The Avengers West Coast #71 (May 1991)
Role: Powerhouse
Group Affiliations: The Pacific Overlords
PL 8 (75)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+2)
Stealth 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Lifestone-Given Powers: Super-Strength"
Protection 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10, Fortitude +8, Will +2

Complications:
Weakness (Glass Jaw)- Jawbreaker may be a bit more vulnerable to physical blows if his special jaw-brace is removed. However, even a guy as strong as WONDER MAN only staggered him with a full-on punch there, so who knows?

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 9 (75)

-Jawbreaker DEFINES "Low-End Superstrong Goon". He's just a loser character with a silly armoured outfit, generic power set, and low accuracy, pretty much only being useful in team situations because then he can hammer guys from behind.

-His power levels appear to be wildly inconsistent- I was aiming for PL 8 with this guy, but he's actually proved rather capable at various times. He's inaccurate as balls (Wonder Man even cracks that he telegraphs his punches badly), but knocks people clear across a room SEVERAL times (including Julia Carpenter), and actually has a sneak attack K.O. of Wonder Man to his credit, which pretty much boosts him into +11 damage AT LEAST (Power Attacking even higher). He's really inaccurate, though, and just so low-pointed that he's virtually worthless as anything other than a tank, and his Toughness doesn't match his Strength- Mockingbird was shown hurting him with her Bo Staff (he wasn't DOWN, but someone like Ben Grimm wouldn't even react to such a blow), and U.S. Agent flattened him with a punch for a bit as well. So he's kind of a simplistic Mini-Brick, unable to go toe-to-toe with most major heroes, but being great if his teammates are holding them off or distracting them.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I can honestly say I used Axe (and to a lesser extent....Tag) in college and....it worked.

not like the commercials would have you believe, but it didn't hurt. I had more than one conqu----er.....young lady....tell me that I smelled really nice. One in particular (a goth ex of mine) acted like a cat in heat when she smelled Axe on me....though I wonder if it was due to the spray working or if that's just how she thought it should work.

All the same, Axe gave me some nice evenings in college.

The Chocolate Man may seem a monster, but he's not. He's a hero. Maybe not the one we deserve but the one we....well you know where this going