Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hades! Circe! Mulan! Shang! Shan Yu! Tarzan! Jane!)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:05 am
Ares wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:13 am Internet reviewer sfDebris did a very solid look into Atlantis (both the lore and the film). I'd recommend checking it out.
Yeah, that was really interesting- I watched it at my parents' place during Canadian Thanksgiving, and it really kept interesting the whole way. Though I got the sense he's not quite the editor the Nostalgia Critic & Lindsey Ellis are- he kind of skipped around a lot, and missed plot points and didn't do a full, proper review.
Chuck (sfDebris) tends to look at things first and foremost from a science fiction perspective, examining themes, world building and then focusing on plot and character. He also tries very hard to keep his reviews to a reasonable length, so between the research he did for Atlantis and the history of the films development, it's possible he missed a few plot points while capturing the essence of the film. He does a lot of solid reviews and I'd recommend checking out his other stuff. He does everything from Gargoyles to Transformers to Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate and Dr. Who, as well as Robocop, the Terminator, and the Thing

I honestly prefer him to both Nostalgia reviewers. I found the Critic's reviews entertaining in the early days, but he's someone to watch more for screeching, overly emotional outrage reactions and sarcasm more than an actual review of the work. As for the Chick, I've watched a couple of her reviews and couldn't really get into her stuff. And since a lot of the really shitty stuff that went on at Channel Awesome came to light, I don't watch either of them anymore.

Chuck's someone I watch for both entertainment and a good critical review of a work. And if you ever wanted to see someone take the piss out of Michael Bay, go watch his Transformers film reviews. And to really appreciate the Wonder Woman movie, check out his review of the TV pilot from a while back.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Yzma

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage
ImageImage

YZMA
Played by:
Eartha Kitt
Role: Disney Villain, Mad Scientist, The Usurper
PL 6 (84)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 9 (+13)
Expertise (Royalty/Government) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Singing) 6 (+9)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 1 (+4)
Technology 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Emperor's Assistant), Equipment 3 (Knife +1, Lab), Inventor, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Array of Potions" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [30]
Affliction 10 (Fort; Entranced/Defenseless/Transformed to Animal) (Extras: Continuous +3, Ranged) (Diminished Range -1) (49)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Knife +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Potions +2 (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Yzma has been the power behind the Emperor's throne for years, and seeks to murder Kuzco to gain full power.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 2 (84)

-The late Eartha Kitt was known as a seductress in the olden days (and had the difficult position of trying to replace JULIE NEWMAR as Catwoman), but is most well-known these days for being a seductively-voiced old lady who plays Crazy Old Lady characters. Yzma is sort of like a combination of the Wicked Queen of Snow White with Cruella de Vil, taking the emaciated appearance of an old lady and merging it with the wildness of a Las Vegas showgirl. It's really freaky- she's not only grotesquely gaunt, but her teeth are hideous, her eyelashes actually resemble spider's legs, and her "breast-line" is 3/4 the way down her torso- it's basically everything that's hilarious and gross about old ladies combined into one person.

-Yzma's a mad scientist instead of a sorceress, but takes on most of the same Tropes, including potions that transform people. Wild and over-the-top, Yzma & Kronk are probably the most well-remembered parts of the movie. She earns Potions as a Power because why the hell not? It's either that or Equipment, and that's a bit... esoteric, for Equipment.

About the Performer: Eartha Kitt is well-known for her soft, purr-like voice, and Catwoman is probably her biggest role- she was the replacement for Julie Newmar, so I always hated her as a pre-teen, but she definitely has the voice. She was a cabaret & Broadway performer who did a LOT of iconic numbers, but her career suffered badly when she made Lady Bird Johnson cry at a White House dinner (the President's wife foolishly asked Kitt what she thought of Vietnam- "You send the best of this country off to be shot and maimed. No wonder the kids rebel and take pot" she replied).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Atlantis! Milo! Kida! Emperor’s New Groove!)

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:10 pm Huh, speaking of John Goodman, I just noticed the lack of Monsters, Inc. builds in the original ATT set. I was wondering if Sulley might have a pretty decent PL for a Disney character, given how he's a big, burly monster, though he's mostly a scarer, not a fighter, and has trouble against Randall's concealment/camoflague at first. (if memory serves - it's been years since I saw the movie)
Unfortunately, that's one of the only Disney/Pixar movies I've never seen. I think I've only watched near the end of it (when he scared Boo).
Jabroniville

Lilo & Stitch

Post by Jabroniville »

LILO & STITCH (2002):
Written by:
Chris Sanders & Dean DeBlois

-This is a funny one, as it's an original story, and has a completely unique art style (that of a long-time Disney Animator Chris Sanders, who always drew his stuff that way- one wonders if the others got annoyed at always having to shift his stuff into the "Mainline" style). I have to agree with The Nostalgia Critic over it- the relationship between the sisters (bratty, weird Lilo and basket-case, angry Nani who has to deal with raising the crazy little girl alone) is much more interesting than the "blah" alien backstory, which is of course what drew in all the kids. Stitch is a runaway alien that makes a mess of everything, and gets adopted as a "dog" while Nani is in danger of losing Lilo to social services (especially once Stitch costs her her job). Everyone kind of... just makes cool with each other by the end, of course (after many discussions about "Ohana"- family groups that never leave anyone behind). Like in a lot of Disney movies, he just kind of... appreciates them after a point, largely after feeling listless without his mission of destruction to go back to.

I didn't find it overly funny, but it's a neat character piece, and has some very interesting alien designs. And Nani is HAAAAAA (checks Disney Wikia to confirm that she's nineteen) AAAAAWWWT. The rounded art style gives everyone weird faces and potato noses, but the animators share my liking for gigantic thighs, that's for sure, and the noses are no bigger a distraction than say, Adam Warren's "Fish Lips" look on HIS characters. And Nani HAS to be the nakedest Disney woman ever- she is in either a Hawaiian-style sarong (with bikini top) or a skimpy bikini for 60% of her scenes, flashing monstro-thighs the entire way. Like, they were gifting the dads who got dragged there something fierce. I'm pretty shocked she didn't turn into more of a sex symbol than she did.

The alien designs are REALLY cool, too, with even background aliens looking very cool and interesting.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
The movie did well enough to earn TWO sequel movies (Straight To DVD, of course) and a 65-episode TV series, one of the latest Disney Movies to franchise out that way. All of the sequels dealt with finding the other experiments (since Stitch was Experiment 626). Stitch is also HUGE in Japan (I know- an annoying cute critter popular in Japan- will wonders never cease?), and spawned an anime series. Sanders, who would become kind of a hero at Disney for this film, would leave the company over issues with John Lasseter surrounding changes made to Bolt. He moved to DreamWorks, where he now helms the How To Train Your Dragon movies, as well as The Croods.

For the Parks, Stitch has become a big meet & greet act, usually engaging in offbeat shenanigans with guests. Disney World also changes their terrifying Alien Encounter attraction to feature a mostly unseen Stitch… which still scares the living bejeezus out of time of people. The attraction simulates observing an alien that escapes and jumps around on your chairs… but you’re completely trapped and your imagination has to fill in everything. In seconds, I saw someone’s screaming child have to get taken out of there. They finally put the mostly-mothballed attraction out of its misery earlier this year.

The movie has attained a solid fandom of Disneyphiles, largely owing to the sweet bits ("Ohana means... no one gets left behind"), and how bratty Lilo is ("And I'm sorry I punched you in the face").
statue345

Re: Lilo & Stitch

Post by statue345 »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:06 am And Nani HAS to be the nakedest Disney woman ever- she is in either a Hawaiian-style sarong (with bikini top) or a skimpy bikini for 60% of her scenes, flashing monstro-thighs the entire way. Like, they were gifting the dads who got dragged there something fierce. I'm pretty shocked she didn't turn into more of a sex symbol than she did.
If you want to get technical about it, Ariel did spend all of her scenes as a mermaid wearing nothing but a bra.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

statue345 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:06 am And Nani HAS to be the nakedest Disney woman ever- she is in either a Hawaiian-style sarong (with bikini top) or a skimpy bikini for 60% of her scenes, flashing monstro-thighs the entire way. Like, they were gifting the dads who got dragged there something fierce. I'm pretty shocked she didn't turn into more of a sex symbol than she did.
If you want to get technical about it, Ariel did spend all of her scenes as a mermaid wearing nothing but a bra.
I'll grant you that one, though she's human for MOST of that story, I think. Watching Lilo & Stitch the other week, I swear Nani's bikini-clad the vast majority of her time on screen.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:06 am I didn't find it overly funny, but it's a neat character piece, and has some very interesting alien designs. And Nani is HAAAAAA (checks Disney Wikia to confirm that she's nineteen) AAAAAWWWT. The rounded art style gives everyone weird faces and potato noses, but the animators share my liking for gigantic thighs, that's for sure, and the noses are no bigger a distraction than say, Adam Warren's "Fish Lips" look on HIS characters. And Nani HAS to be the nakedest Disney woman ever- she is in either a Hawaiian-style sarong (with bikini top) or a skimpy bikini for 60% of her scenes, flashing monstro-thighs the entire way. Like, they were gifting the dads who got dragged there something fierce. I'm pretty shocked she didn't turn into more of a sex symbol than she did.
I think that the art style is the main culprit here. The super-rounded details and potato noses were meant to be cute and cuddly first and the absolutely succeded.

Also I would like to point out how Nani is probably the best "parent figure" out of all Disney movies: despite having issues with Lilo, she never ever play the "you're weird" card, she accept her little sister's weirdness and even play along sometimes.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Stitch

Post by Jabroniville »

STITCH (Experiment 626)
Played By:
Chris Sanders
Role: Cute Collectible Critter, Destructive Pet, Alien
PL 8 (135)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+12)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+1)
Intimidation 12 (+6 Size)
Perception 6 (+5)
Persuasion 5 (+3)
Technology 6 (+10)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Close Attack 3, Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 8, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]

"Experimental Physiology"
Regeneration 4 [4]
Morph 1 (Less Alien Creature) (Flaws: Still Basically Looks Like Stitch) [4]
"Four Arms" Extra Limbs 2 [2]
Speed 3 (8 mph) [3]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) [4]

"Small Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
(-2 Strength, -1 Speed, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Destruction)- Stitch was created to seek out large cities and destroy them, wreaking utter havoc.
Relationship (Ohana)- Stitch's "Ohana" (Family) eventually makes him realise the value of family. He becomes motivated to rescue Lilo, and not destroy all of everything.
Weakness (Dense)- Stitch is hyper-dense, and will sink if he comes into contact with the water. Thus, activities such as surfing are dangerous to him.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 6 (135)

-Stitch is actually remarkably powerful for a Disney character, being a pint-sized powerhouse able to lift open giant sliding doors, avoid laser fire, shoot like a maniac, and tear apart entire structures with ease. He's good with technology despite being a bit thick-headed about things, and he eventually does show that he can speak. I had trouble hitting the right balance for his Intelligence- he’s sort of an idiot savant, but it’s tricky. Probably more clear in the TV show. This led to a page-long debate in my 2013 ATT thread, as various posters brought up little things he did, some of which suggested that he was a "Dumb Animal" who just happened to have an innate understanding of technology.

About the Performer: Chris Sanders is the aforementioned director of the film, who has continued to voice him later, even after leaving the studio.
Jabroniville

Treasure Planet

Post by Jabroniville »

TREASURE PLANET (2002):
Written by:
Ron Clements, John Musker, Rob Edwards, Ted Elliot & Terry Rossio

The backstory to the making of this movie is more interesting to me than the actual film itself, which is totally forgettable. Clements & Musker, two A-level directors responsible for The Little Mermaid, basically begged the studio for 12 years to make this, being rejected every time. Again and again, they were told to put it off and given another project (like Hercules), until FINALLY they’d done enough favours to be granted their dream. And of course it almost killed Animated Features for good.

A pretty forgettable Disney film (seriously, five years later I remember NOTHING. Just the MILF character , the captain, and the Poochie-esque kid) which seems to take an awful lot from Atlantis in theme and tone- the whole mixing of past & future tech. It's basically Treasure Island but with space stuff and cyborgs and junk, which begs the question as to whom this movie is supposed to appeal to- marketing seemed to put a lot of focus on getting the young male audience to go see both of these films, when most Disney films had attempted to go for wide audiences by focusing on romance and a bit of action/danger. These films (along with some other late-90s, 2000s-era stuff like Titan A.E.) were going for this sci-fi/blockbuster thing, ironically a few years before the market would take off for things like superhero movies and The Pirates of the Caribbean. So in the end the limited market appeal of these films killed everything (that and releasing it during a nasty time- like right after the first Harry Potter film)- Disney almost lost faith in Animated Features after this.

It doesn't help that the main hero Jim Hawkins is a walking Stereotypical Teen Character, being rebellious and troublesome, but also endearing and motivated, so he comes across like a collection of Poochie-esque "this is a cool person" stuff like AIR SURFING WOOOOO GNARLY DUDES!! It's notable use of Steam Punk is interesting to me, since that's always been very much at the edge of pop culture- it's fans are SUPER into it, and have been for years, but it's such a small, cult following that rarely sees the light of day.

Reception & Cultural Impact: This movie bombed HARD. Like $40 million against $130 million or something. An unmitigated disaster, it was derided as gimmicky and boring. It bombed so badly that Disney considered dropping their animated stuff entirely. As such, Disney has largely totally ignored it. It has a teeny “online fandom”, largely over the a Sci-fi Steampunky stuff and the furries, but even this is small beans.
Shock

Re: Treasure Planet

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 pm Reception & Cultural Impact: This movie bombed HARD. Like $40 million against $130 million or something. An unmitigated disaster, it was derided as gimmicky and boring. It bombed so badly that Disney considered dropping their animated stuff entirely. As such, Disney has largely totally ignored it. It has a teeny “online fandom”, largely over the a Sci-fi Steampunky stuff and the furries, but even this is small beans.
What does it say about Disney's vision when they consider bailing on an entire genre (and their most successful) because of one bad movie? Are they really as shrewd as their good runs make them out to be or do they just hit on some luck by investing in the right people now and then?
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Atlantis! Kida! Emperor’s New Groove! Kuzco! Kronk!)

Post by Spectrum »

I don't know how accurate it is, but I get the sense that Disney is always on the edge of financial ruin. They don't keep a lot in the bank so when bad times hit they don't have much of a surplus. Probably the way that they have managed to afford huge purchases over the last few years.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hades! Circe! Mulan! Shang! Shan Yu! Tarzan! Jane!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:34 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:05 am
Ares wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:13 am Internet reviewer sfDebris did a very solid look into Atlantis (both the lore and the film). I'd recommend checking it out.
Yeah, that was really interesting- I watched it at my parents' place during Canadian Thanksgiving, and it really kept interesting the whole way. Though I got the sense he's not quite the editor the Nostalgia Critic & Lindsey Ellis are- he kind of skipped around a lot, and missed plot points and didn't do a full, proper review.
Chuck (sfDebris) tends to look at things first and foremost from a science fiction perspective, examining themes, world building and then focusing on plot and character. He also tries very hard to keep his reviews to a reasonable length, so between the research he did for Atlantis and the history of the films development, it's possible he missed a few plot points while capturing the essence of the film. He does a lot of solid reviews and I'd recommend checking out his other stuff. He does everything from Gargoyles to Transformers to Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate and Dr. Who, as well as Robocop, the Terminator, and the Thing

I honestly prefer him to both Nostalgia reviewers. I found the Critic's reviews entertaining in the early days, but he's someone to watch more for screeching, overly emotional outrage reactions and sarcasm more than an actual review of the work. As for the Chick, I've watched a couple of her reviews and couldn't really get into her stuff. And since a lot of the really shitty stuff that went on at Channel Awesome came to light, I don't watch either of them anymore.

Chuck's someone I watch for both entertainment and a good critical review of a work. And if you ever wanted to see someone take the piss out of Michael Bay, go watch his Transformers film reviews. And to really appreciate the Wonder Woman movie, check out his review of the TV pilot from a while back.

you need to get Snobbed
Jabroniville

Re: Treasure Planet

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 pm Reception & Cultural Impact: This movie bombed HARD. Like $40 million against $130 million or something. An unmitigated disaster, it was derided as gimmicky and boring. It bombed so badly that Disney considered dropping their animated stuff entirely. As such, Disney has largely totally ignored it. It has a teeny “online fandom”, largely over the a Sci-fi Steampunky stuff and the furries, but even this is small beans.
What does it say about Disney's vision when they consider bailing on an entire genre (and their most successful) because of one bad movie? Are they really as shrewd as their good runs make them out to be or do they just hit on some luck by investing in the right people now and then?
This is Late Eisner-era Disney, which was beset by his falling apart as director of everything (California Adventure is part of this era-not a coincidence). They absolutely only hit big again by buying up and openly mimicking Pixar, which they bought after the near-dissolution of their relationship was directly responsible for the ousting of Eisner.
Jabroniville

Jim Hawkins

Post by Jabroniville »

hey, isn’t that the guy from “Roly Poly Olie?”

JIM HAWKINS
Played by:
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Role: Plucky Cool Kid
PL 3 (48)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Cabin Boy) 4 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)
Technology 4 (+4)
Vehicles 6 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Kewl Solar/Wind-Riding Things)

Advantages:
Equipment (Wind-Riding Thing), Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Mother)- Jim's mom (who is hot, as all Disney Moms are) is worried about her son, since he's a bit of a hellraiser (he's on parole).
Relationship (John Silver)- Jim takes a liking to the nasty-looking cyborg cook, and is hurt when it's revealed he's a Pirate.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (48)

-Jim is basically your average Teenage Character, complete with cool hobby (solar surfing instead of skateboarding, since this is the future and all). He's not a major fighter (most of the Mutineers on the ship could easily take him, I think), but he's athletic enough. And oh my god- look at that '90s hair! The "hair on the sides of your head is DUMB!" look combined with the top part in the middle! Holy jesus did a ton of kids have that hairstyle back in the day!

About the Performer: Well Hell. Levitt went from “Tommy from 3rd Rock From the Sun to huge star so quickly it blew my mind. I remember him as grouchy teen Tommy, so him suddenly turning into a big name overnight was fun. Appearing in stuff like 500 Days of Summer, 50/50 and others gave him a ton of credibility and showed him as a multi-talented performer, though his career slowed down lately- I haven’t seen much of his stuff in a while. As Jim, he was basically just “Tommy” still.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.